Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Druidic Magic: Any thoughts?  (Read 39961 times)
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 26 January 2006, 03:35:00 »

Wait a minute.

The kind of mud i am talkjing about doesn't 'leak' water. For the earth has already soaked up the water. thus not leakage. I see what you meant, and it does seperate mud and water, but it does not undo the actual mud.

We are the music makers, and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.
- Ode, Arthur O’Shaughnessy

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 26 January 2006, 18:57:00 »

Pikel: there's always leakage, but sometimes incredibly slow. That's how underwater reservoirs come into existance btw: water slowly seeping into the earth (even through clay) until it hits stone.

But like I said, druids don't know what we know, so they might believe differently.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #107 on: 31 January 2006, 16:57:00 »

Comments

Proposals

Errors

Overview: Druidic Magic is the magic of those who revere nature. It is the magic practiced by the six Druidic orders, and the ‘rogue order’ of Black druids. This magic takes a quite a long time to learn and  to perform, but the results are usually quite spectacular.

Prevalence: Druidic magic is, obviously, the magic of druids. Only druids, in places where druids can be found (which is primarily Northern and Southern Sarvonia), practice druidic magic.

Well, I wonder, if druids COULD practise druidic magic in places where they are not found? So why mention it extra? This paragraph is a bit meager, though I don‘t know what to add here either.

Concept/Worldview: Druidic magic is based on the druids’ belief in essences. The way they explain it, they merge their own essence with the essence of what they want to change, and from there merely will it into changing. This of course takes time, for they have to meditate for a time to actually make the merger. The older the essence one is trying to merge with, the longer it will take to merge with it. For example: a coastal redwood that has been standing for over two millennia will take longer to merge with than a seedling flower. An older essence has "gotten used" to being the way it is. It is set in its ways, and thus harder to merge with. A younger essence is less set in its ways, and thus easier to merge with.
What about living and not-living essences?

Basic Principles: Druids teach that all things in this world exist on two levels; the physical level, and the spiritual level. An "essence" is the spiritual side of any given object. Nobody ever sees an essence, although with the proper training, it is possible to interact with it. It can be called a soul of sorts, but it is only as sentient as its material counterpart is. An essence is the very core of an objects existence. If an essence is changed somehow, it()s material counterpart changes to accommodate it. One could say that an essence is the spiritual make-up of its counterpart.

Each essence comes into being at the same exact time that its material counterpart comes into existence. Example, a human essence comes into being as soon as the child is conceived. Also, an essence can be said to have died once its material counterpart is destroyed or otherwise no longer existent. Example, a mountain has an essence. An earthquake occurs, and the mountain is split in twain. Since the "mountain" is no longer there, its essence can be said to have "died". But now there are two smaller mountains in it's place, and a completely new essence is created for each of them.

Each essence is as completely unique as its counterpart, but like its counterpart, it shares similarities as well. All Essences fit into one of the seven sub categories, which are: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Plant, Animal, and sentient being. For instance, a small rock's essence is as different from a mountain's essence as their physical “bodies” are, but the essences are still earth based. Nothing in this world has an essence that fits into two categories. It is always has a dominant essence type. Sometimes this is confusing, for it seems that someone objects in the world could theoretically be classified as two, but this is mainly due to confusion. For example, mud is earth based, but it has water in it. However, you cannot separate the water from the earth, so it has one essence. It has more earth than water in it, and thus, it is earth essence. However, if you just put a little bit of sand in water, then the sand is still distinguishable from the water, and it would be possible to separate the two, thus it has to essences, the essence of the water, and the essence of the sand, for they are two different objects.

You need to add first as an example the little earth in water example, what would be water essence then . iif you say you never get the little colour (=earth) out of the water. Then the sand/water example

Even then - what if you dry up the mud and save the water - then your mud essence dies and a new water and earth essences comes to live? That would be the way to seperate earth from water.

With training, one could learn to merge one's essence with the essence of something else. If such a merging occurs, the stronger willed of the two objects will be able to influence the essence of the other object, thus changing its characteristics. If the spiritual side is changed, its physical side will follow, and vice versa. If the physical side is changed, its essence will change to accommodate it. The exceptions to this are sentient beings. The merging of the essences is resisted by sentient essences. Sentient essences recognize that an essence is trying to merge with it, and resists. You said this already in the last sentence Its corporeal counterpart has a vague notion of something trying to control him, but they are not sure what is actually going on. However, if one can get past that, then they are able to merge. If one's essence is not as strong willed as the essence it is merging with, then one might find his own essence being manipulated, instead of vice versa.

Abilities: Once the merger is actually complete, the essences of the druid and what he wants to change are one. The druid then has the chance to change what he wants. Don‘t repeat yourself  The actual changing is quite natural. He changes something like he would move his arms, he merely wills it to change, and it changes. Of course, the more complex or intricate the change, the more a druid must concentrate on said change, or he may wind up with unexpected results. Making a seedling grow into a full grown tree is fairly simple, while making it grow into a tree of an odd shape or into a different color or texture than what is natural, that is a bit more complicated, and requires more concentration, and more practice.

Druids also have the ability to physically merge with their element. In Green Druids, this produces the Kroi’lon, or war dryad; a gigantic half man, half tree being. In Red druids this produces the phenomenon known as the firedance. The Druids body is completely turned to flame, but retains its humanoid shape. Gray Druids can merge with an animal of their choosing. This often makes for interesting, often bizarre and horrific, transformations; such has a half-man/half-flunki, or a half woman/half-Cartashian Bear. The Brown druids can merge with the earth, making the Sfomm-Kereen, Thergarim for stone baby, who have bodies of moveable rock, not unlike a golem. Stone baby is a misleading name although, for considering the Somm-kereen's size, very few of the people of Caelereth would consider it a 'baby'. Similar to the Brown Druids, the Blue Druids can merge with ice, making their bodies a sort of moveable ice, again, not unlike a sentient golem. The druids all retain their sense of self, and their intelligence during these transformations. These transformations last for three days, and they cannot revert back during those three days, for that would require changing one's own essence, which is not only tabooed, it is thought to be impossible. Tragically, it costs the druids their lives to use these abilities for three days, for the essences between the druid and what he physically merges with are incompatible, and thus, the being dies after a few days. Thus they are only used in a last desperate attempt to protect nature. Black and white druids do not use this ability, for White druids are too aloof to become martyrs, and Black druids do not love sentient beings enough to die for them. Considering how formidable these transformations are, the attempt often works.

There a few factors that may reduce the amount of time needed. For instance, the greater the amount of druids working towards the same goal, the faster said goal will be accomplished. This is accomplished because the experience of all the druids is put as one, and they all merge with the object at the same time, thus the time is divided between the druids. Thus, if an inexperienced druid is added to the task, the task will get done faster, but not nearly as fast as if an experienced druid was there, for experience is another factor. An experienced druid gets his task done much faster than one who doesn't use his gifts. Therefore, it is quite possible for a young druid who uses his abilities often to be more skilled than an elder who rarely finds need to use his skills, even though the elder has been a part of the order for a longer amount of time. The last thing that effects the time is how often a druid has merged with a particular essence; the more a druid merges with the same essence, the faster it takes every time.

Maybe try to use experienced one time less? :)  I know, it is difficult!

Limitations: However, there are limits. The main thing that must be remembered is that the druid must maintain his meditation while performing what he wants to perform. If his concentration is broken, than the merger is also broken, and any control over his element is lost. To maintain this concentration, the druid can only merge with, or attempt to merge with, one essence at any one time. Beyond that, the druid’s limits are few. He can change anything about the essence, as long as it remains based on the same category. Example: an Gray druid can do anything he wants to an animal, except give it sentience, because that would change it from an animal based essence, to a sentient being based essence.

It should be noted here, that druids are not able to change their own essences, for they have nothing to merge with. They cannot access their own essence, only the essences of others, through merging. Not only that, one would have to be a Black druid to do it (for changing oneself would usually mean changing a sentient being essence, unless one is less than sentient) and thus, there is a taboo on even trying to tinker with one’s own essence. There are stories of the elven Black druid, Mehán’chón, who figured out how to change his own essence. The stories say he made himself grow wings, and jumped off a cliff to learn how try them out. Unfortunately, he made the wings too small to hold his weight, and, much to Mehán’chón’s dismay, he remade acquaintanceship with the ground much sooner than he originally intended. However, for the most part, druids believe the story of Mehán’chón to be only a fairy tale.

It should be made clear that the merging process takes far too long to have any practicality whatsoever in a fight. Although, if one wanted the grand effects of an "artillery" of sorts, the druids are the people capable of fulfilling that role. Druids are capable of creating smaller effects; it just takes far too long to be practical in some cases. For example, a fire druid could burn down a tree, but it would be much faster merely to chop it down with an axe.

Training: Of course, one must learn how to do all this, and to get training one must first find a druid (which is a task in and of itself.) If the druid decides that the hopeful has the personality and drive and love that are required, then the druid trains him. This training mainly consists of how to learn to meditate effectively which takes up a huge amount of time , and learning how to merge with an essence that is so unlike that of the druids. Black druids however, must first become a druid of one of the other six orders, and then learn by themselves how to merge with a sentient essence. They are able to do this because they already know the basics of merging with essences, even though they know not how to merge with a sentient one. Thus it takes much longer to learn to become a Black druid than any other druid. Black druids are far too distrustful to take on apprentices, and the other six orders hold a taboo on Black druidism. Thus, there are very few Black druids in the world.

Origins: This compendium holds no concrete evidence on the actual origins of the magic of Druids, although there are several reports, stories, and myths concerning it, and depending on which druid you ask, you will likely get a different story, assuming that the druid would be willing to tell you his stories in the first place, which is not likely unless you have proven your worth to him. Elven Druids tend to tell people that Avá, Coór, and the Aeolía placed the essences, or énh’cár'ámn in their tongue, in to their physical ‘bodies’. Some druids say that the first person to access an essence was an old farm lady, who managed to merge with one of her many cats, although this story is unlikely. Some Druids say that everything started as one essence, and thus one body, and slowly split into many, until finally all the essence that exist today, exist, as do all the bodies.

*sits at her comp and meditates with furrowed brows about this entry.*

A lot of work is done, a lot of time invested, from different people and it is surely not a bad entry. Nevertheless I‘m not quite satisfied, the problem is just, I don‘t know why.....  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #108 on: 01 February 2006, 16:41:00 »

Well, these sentences definitely won't make you famous, Pikel:

"Druidic magic is, obviously, the magic of druids. Only druids, in places where druids can be found (which is primarily Northern and Southern Sarvonia), practice druidic magic."

They're quite redundant, you know. They have a good chance of making the reader feel very dizzy... :lol  Better mention that druids work with nature and specific elements of nature. That they therefore be found e.g. in the forests or at seas etc., just say where druids can be found.

At the Concept/Worldview I've tried to come up with some more philosophical background seen from a scholars point of view (actually the concept is a lot of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche anyway). Changed passages I've marked in yellow;

Concept/Worldview. Druidic magic is based on the druids’ belief in what they call "essences". "An "essence", interpreted from a philosophical point of view of a Santharian scholar, "for a druid seems to be the substantial form of the being, giving it its individuality and identity. But an essence is more than a form. It's also a will, a will that determines the content of the essence and may connect through its own impulse with another will or essence, forming something new. To the druids this is a process of nature, a coming together with the elements. The concept seems very elven, and for sure has a lot of Xeuá sides to it." (Kechelwan of Thyslan in his speech on "Will and Being";) . The way the druids explain it, they merge their own essence with the essence of what they want to change (usually an object of nature), and from there merely will it into changing. This of course takes time, for they have to meditate for a time to actually make the merger.

How's that?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 01 February 2006, 18:08:00 »

Pikel: On mud and all those problems. I have suggested before, that you could use chemical reaction as the deciding measure of what is an object. It solves your problems, IMHO.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 02 February 2006, 15:36:00 »

Well, the theory laid out in Basic Prinicples is quite shaky if you ask me.

E.g. " For example, mud is earth based, but it has water in it. However, you cannot separate the water from the earth, so it has one essence. It hames more earth than water in it, and thus, it is earth essence." - Very confusing! Seems very much as if physical quantity here determines the quality of the spirit. The theory reminds me strikingly of the whole cár'áll concept - too much, I admit, but then the major differences aren't stressed properly. So the "Each essence..." paragraph can lead to many misunderstandings. You get very physical here when you in fact want to show what's behind.

As I already tried to adjust in my previous post - what you really mean I guess with the "essence" is its "will", its orientation, its innermost purpose, its "meaning of life" simply put (also applying to plants, beasts and "elemental essences" here). I try my interpretation:

An essence in the world has a relation to the rest of the world, determining its role in it, and this role is the "will" to be (primarily) earth for example. That's why an essence cannot be water and earth together, because it has only one "alignment", at least I think that way it is much more understandable and prepares for the rest of the entry. Because the will is influenced by its surroundings, and the way you describe it, a druid can transfer his will into a tree for example, merge with it. He identifies so much with this will, that these essences become one. Thus the appearance of this essence (the physical body of a druid) simply aligns with the joined wills (tree + druid), so that the physical druid becomes the tree. Don't know if that is expressed clearly, but I have the impression that this is what you try to say, but can't get quite around to it at this paragraph.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 2/1/06 22:38

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 13 February 2006, 17:22:00 »

Ok, Your last post confused me a great deal, so i will try to explain a little better as to what I mean by 'essence'. (another word that can be used is "soul")

the essence is basically the spiritual mirror image to it's physical counterpart. You change, one, you cxhange the other, for they are mirror images. A druid learns that he can merge his 'spirit' with the 'spirit' of other objects, and can from there, shape the other spirit, or change it, thus changing the 'spirit's' physical counterpart as well.

i am in the process of editing (this was put on the backburner while i was away, but i am returning to it full force)

**DISCLAIMER** I apologize to anyone I may have offended in the above post. I would like to assure you that was (most likely) not my goal. I would also like to assure you that the above post (again, most likely) in no way reflects the views of the Santharian boards or their webmaster, Artimidor Federkiel.

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 16 February 2006, 20:58:00 »

Edits up

I realized that Essences and what they are is not described in the Concept / World View section, but in the basic principles section. I still do not fully understand the points that both silfer and Artimidor were trying to get across, but i can only hope that i have acknowledged them in some way, eithe rthrough the editing or my past 2 posts.

**DISCLAIMER** I apologize to anyone I may have offended in the above post. I would like to assure you that was (most likely) not my goal. I would also like to assure you that the above post (again, most likely) in no way reflects the views of the Santharian boards or their webmaster, Artimidor Federkiel.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #113 on: 09 March 2006, 05:27:00 »

Pikel,  think you have to rethink your concept a bit, or it will never fit. I considered what you wrote forth and back, what Art wrote (thought I didn‘t reread all other comments) and came to the conclusion, that you need to differ between basic essences (like water, earth, wind?)  etc and composed. Say, a rock is a basic essence, that is easy, but a mountain? It is composed out of rock, earth, water, maybe plants and animals. It is a new essence then, unique. Your mud would work this way as well. It is a special essence in the moment the druid looks at it, but it might be a different one the next moment, for some of the water has leaked away (that might be dangerous , if a druid tries to merge with a changing essence!)

I see well, what you mean with the „mirror image“, but we could surely ad some more depth to it with adding the „will“, and the other things Art wrote. don‘t be confused, I needed quite some time as well to realise what he wanted, but then :speechless .
In your mirror image you say nothing about who influences who, the essence the body or vice versa, for you both have the same „weight“(? missing word). Art proposes to give the essence the forming, therefore the  defining power - and in fact it is like you described it yourself: If you change the essence, the body will follow. Of course it works the other way round as well - if the body is hurt, so will the essence. But the essence is the primary power. The force behind the facade(=body) .

I started to write up the concept /worldview, but can‘t finish it now (Lunch). will hopefully come to it later this day.

For now I post just the first few sentences.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 3/9/06 13:25

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #114 on: 10 March 2006, 07:29:00 »

Comments

Proposals

Overview: Druidic Magic is the magic of those who revere nature. It is () practiced by the six Druidic orders, and the ‘rogue order’ of Black druids. This magic takes a quite a long time to learn and to perform, but the results are usually quite spectacular.

Your first sentence does not quite fit, for though druids revere nature, other - non druids do it as well, but not all who revere nature are druids.

Aren‘t the black druids  druids as well? You might need to formulate it a bit different then.
Shouldn‘t there be a sentence about what druidic magic is?

Druidic magic requires the veneration of nature and is practised in a very special way by the Druidic orders, including the heretical one of the Black Druids.  It is based on their belief in ‚essence‘ and the ability of the sentient mind to merge with it and then to manipulate it .This  takes  quite a long time to learn as to perform, but the results are often quite spectacular.

Prevalence: Druidic magic is, obviously, the magic of druids. Only druids practice druidic magic. Druids can be found mostly throughout Northern and Southern Sarvonia, and thus, this form of magic is exclusive to that landmass, although there may be a few scattered druids on other continents.

Don‘t tell evident things, don‘t contradict you ;) .

Druids only are able to practice the merging of essences. That limits the prevalence of druidic magic to those places where druids live. That is mostly throughout  Southern Sarvonia and  parts of Northern Sarvonia, however there are some scattered communities on other continents as well. Most  prefer to live in remote areas, but some are found in cities as well.

(Please don‘t mention undeveloped parts like huge areas in Northern Sarvonia)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #115 on: 10 March 2006, 15:19:00 »

Concept/Worldview-Proposal

Druidic magic is based on the concept of the essences. According to their belief, every being, be it a human, an elf or any of the sentient races, be it a animal, a plant or even a things we would consider not alive as rocks, a mountain or the water in a lake is not just a human, an animal or a rock as it can be perceived  from outside, but is a dual being, consisting of what is visible and an inner characteristic the druids call „essence“. Both, inside as outside could be seen as mirror of each other. This "essence" might come close to what we call „soul“ within a human being, some sholars describe it as „awareness“, though it may not be confused with „consciousness“ . Some go as far as seeing it as the „will to exist“ in every creation of Avá.

The famous philosopher Kechelwan of Thyslan formulates it in his speech on "Will and Being" as follows:  "For a druid ‚essence‘ seems to be the substantial form of the being, giving it its individuality and identity. But an essence is more than a form. It's also a will, a will that determines the content of the essence and may connect through its own impulse with another will or essence, forming something new. To the druids this is a process of nature, a coming together with the elements. The concept seems very elven, and for sure has a lot of Xeuá sides to it." Not everybody is willng to follow him this far though.

The way the druids explain it, they merge their own essence with the essence of what they want to change (usually an object of nature), and from there merely will it into changing to the desired form. This of course takes time, for they have to meditate for a time to actually make the merger.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #116 on: 10 March 2006, 15:46:00 »

Basic Principles: Druids teach that all things in this world exist on two levels; the physical level, and the spiritual level. An "essence" is the spiritual side of any given object. Nobody ever sees an essence, although with the proper training, it is possible to interact with it. It can be called a soul of sorts, but it is only as sentient as its material counterpart is. An essence is the very core of an objects existence. If an essence is changed somehow, its material counterpart changes to accommodate it. One could say that an essence is the spiritual make-up of its counterpart.

Each essence comes into being at the same exact time that its material counterpart comes into existence. For example  , a human essence comes into being as soon as the child is conceived. Also, an essence can be said to have died once its material counterpart is destroyed or otherwise no longer existent. Example, a mountain has an essence. An earthquake occurs, and the mountain is split in twain. Since the "mountain" is no longer there, its essence can be said to have "died". But now there are two smaller mountains in it's place, and a completely new essence is created for each of them.

I would propose to reformulated it - that is if you accept my proposal of the basic and composed essences:  

Since the mountain is no longer there, its essence can be said to have died - or changed into the essence of the two new mountains.

Each essence is as completely unique as its counterpart, but like its counterpart, it shares similarities as well. All Essences fit into one of the seven sub categories, which are: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Plant, Animal, and sentient being. For instance, a small rock's essence is as different from a mountain's essence as their physical “bodies” are, but the essences are still earth based. Nothing in this world has an essence that fits into two categories. It is always has a dominant essence type. Sometimes this is confusing, for it seems that someone objects in the world could theoretically be classified as two, but this is mainly due to confusion. For example, if one were to mix sand and water, a new essence would not be created, there would merely be two essences next to each other, water and sand, and while their physical aspects may be mixed, their essences are still quite separate.

With this part we will get into troubles now if we follow my ideas. But there is surely a solution:
The basic essences would be of course water, fire, earth, wind, the other three could be a preferred (composed) combination of the  basics and though have their right to exist as such.  This way you evade the problem that all other categories consist mainly of water etc.. Now they would only be a composed  essence out of water, earth, whatever you wish! The sentient beings could be part wind essence, the animals perhaps part fire.. Just an idea.  

Your two sentences above contradict each other, if you have a close look:
„Nothing in this world has an essence that fits into two categories. It is always has a dominant essence type“

If there is a dominant essence, then there is another as well..

Your example with the sand could still be valid, though it would not be needed here to explain something.

With training, one  Language   learn to merge one's essence with the essence of something else. If such a merging occurs, the stronger willed of the two objects will be able to influence the essence of the other object, thus changing its characteristics. If the spiritual side is changed, its physical side will follow, and vice versa. If the physical side is changed, its essence will change to accommodate it.
The exceptions to this are sentient beings.
No, that doesn‘t fit, for principally it is valid for sentient beings as well - the stronger willed can do it. The resistance comes in addition.

In principle, this merging possible for sentient beings as well. However,  it is resisted by them
(The merging of the essences is resisted by sentient essences.) Its corporeal counterpart has a vague notion of something trying to control him, but they are not sure what is actually going on. However, if one can get past that, then they are able to merge. If one's essence is not as strong willed as the essence it is merging with, then one might find his own essence being manipulated, instead of vice versa.
I doubt, it can be the corporeal part, it is the essence what makes the „mind“. I would change this to that the essence is aware of it and resists.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #117 on: 10 March 2006, 16:03:00 »

Overview: Druidic Magic is the magic of those who revere nature. It is () practiced by the six Druidic orders, and the ‘rogue order’ of Black druids. This magic takes a quite a long time to learn and to perform, but the results are usually quite spectacular.

Your first sentence does not quite fit, for though druids revere nature, other - non druids do it as well, but not all who revere nature are druids.

Aren‘t the black druids  druids as well? You might need to formulate it a bit different then.
Shouldn‘t there be a sentence about what druidic magic is?

Druidic magic requires the veneration of nature and is practised in a very special way by the Druidic orders, including the heretical one of the Black Druids.  It is based on their belief in ‚essence‘ and the ability of the sentient mind to merge with it and then to manipulate it .This  takes  quite a long time to learn as to perform, but the results are often quite spectacular.

Prevalence: Druidic magic is, obviously, the magic of druids. Only druids practice druidic magic. Druids can be found mostly throughout Northern and Southern Sarvonia, and thus, this form of magic is exclusive to that landmass, although there may be a few scattered druids on other continents.

Don‘t tell evident things, don‘t contradict you ;) .

Druids only are able to practice the merging of essences. That limits the prevalence of druidic magic to those places where druids live. That is mostly throughout  Southern Sarvonia and  parts of Northern Sarvonia, however there are some scattered communities on other continents as well.

(Please don‘t mention undeveloped parts like huge areas in Northern Sarvonia)

Concept/Worldview: Druidic magic is based on the druids’ belief in essences. The way they explain it, they merge their own essence with the essence of what they want to change, and from there merely will it into changing. This of course takes time, for they have to meditate for a time to actually make the merger. The older the essence one is trying to merge with, the longer it will take to merge with it. For example: a coastal redwood that has been standing for over two millennia will take longer to merge with than a seedling flower. An older essence has "gotten used" to being the way it is. It is set in its ways, and thus harder to merge with. A younger essence is less set in its ways, and thus easier to merge with.

I think what you describe here is not world view, or concept, but belongs either under basic principles or „How to achieve it2 and results..

Basic Principles: Druids teach that all things in this world exist on two levels; the physical level, and the spiritual level. An "essence" is the spiritual side of any given object. Nobody ever sees an essence, although with the proper training, it is possible to interact with it. It can be called a soul of sorts, but it is only as sentient as its material counterpart is. An essence is the very core of an objects existence. If an essence is changed somehow, its material counterpart changes to accommodate it. One could say that an essence is the spiritual make-up of its counterpart.

Each essence comes into being at the same exact time that its material counterpart comes into existence. Example, a human essence comes into being as soon as the child is conceived. Also, an essence can be said to have died once its material counterpart is destroyed or otherwise no longer existent. Example, a mountain has an essence. An earthquake occurs, and the mountain is split in twain. Since the "mountain" is no longer there, its essence can be said to have "died". But now there are two smaller mountains in it's place, and a completely new essence is created for each of them.

Each essence is as completely unique as its counterpart, but like its counterpart, it shares similarities as well. All Essences fit into one of the seven sub categories, which are: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Plant, Animal, and sentient being. For instance, a small rock's essence is as different from a mountain's essence as their physical “bodies” are, but the essences are still earth based. Nothing in this world has an essence that fits into two categories. It is always has a dominant essence type. Sometimes this is confusing, for it seems that someone objects in the world could theoretically be classified as two, but this is mainly due to confusion. For example, if one were to mix sand and water, a new essence would not be created, there would merely be two essences next to each other, water and sand, and while their physical aspects may be mixed, their essences are still quite separate.

With training, one could learn to merge one's essence with the essence of something else. If such a merging occurs, the stronger willed of the two objects will be able to influence the essence of the other object, thus changing its characteristics. If the spiritual side is changed, its physical side will follow, and vice versa. If the physical side is changed, its essence will change to accommodate it. The exceptions to this are sentient beings. The merging of the essences is resisted by sentient essences. Its corporeal counterpart has a vague notion of something trying to control him, but they are not sure what is actually going on. However, if one can get past that, then they are able to merge. If one's essence is not as strong willed as the essence it is merging with, then one might find his own essence being manipulated, instead of vice versa.

Abilities: Once the merger is actually complete, the essences of the druid and what he wants to change are one. The actual changing is quite natural. He changes something like he would move his arms, he merely wills it to change, and it changes. Of course, the more complex or intricate the change, the more a druid must concentrate on said change, or he may wind up with unexpected results. Making a seedling grow into a full grown tree is fairly simple, while making it grow into a tree of an odd shape or into a different color or texture than what is natural, that is a bit more complicated, and requires more concentration, and more practice.

Druids also have the ability to physically merge with their element. In Green Druids, this produces the Kroi’lon, or war dryad; a gigantic half man, half tree being. In Red druids this produces the phenomenon known as the firedance. The Druids body is completely turned to flame, but retains its humanoid shape. Gray Druids can merge with an animal of their choosing. This often makes for interesting, often bizarre and horrific, transformations; such has a half-man/half-flunki, or a half woman/half-Cartashian Bear. The Brown druids can merge with the earth, making the Sfomm-Kereen, Thergarim for stone baby, who have bodies of moveable rock, not unlike a golem. Stone baby is a misleading name although, for considering the Somm-kereen's size, very few of the people of Caelereth would consider it a 'baby'. Similar to the Brown Druids, the Blue Druids can merge with ice, making their bodies a sort of moveable ice, again, not unlike a sentient golem. The druids all retain their sense of self, and their intelligence during these transformations. These transformations last for three days, and they cannot revert back during those three days, for that would require changing one's own essence, which is not only tabooed, it is thought to be impossible. Tragically, it costs the druids their lives to use these abilities for three days, for the essences between the druid and what he physically merges with are incompatible, and thus, the being dies after a few days. Thus they are only used in a last desperate attempt to protect nature. Black and white druids do not use this ability, for White druids are too aloof to become martyrs, and Black druids do not love sentient beings enough to die for them. Considering how formidable these transformations are, the attempt often works.

There is a bit a contradiction here: On the one side you say, the druid‘s essence and the say, tree‘s is one, on the other side that the two essences are not compatible, isn‘t the druids essence already changed when merging with another, hasn‘t there are new essence formed already?

I would put this paragraph about the man/plant etc merger at the end of this section.

There a few factors that may reduce the amount of time needed. For instance, the greater the number of druids working towards the same goal, the faster said goal will be accomplished. This is accomplished because the experience of all the druids is put as one, and they all merge with the object at the same time, thus the time is divided between the druids. Thus, if an inexperienced druid is added to the task, the task will get done faster, but not nearly as fast as if an expert druid was there, for experience is another factor. A practiced druid gets his task done much faster than one who doesn't use his gifts. Therefore, it is quite possible for a young druid who uses his abilities often to be more skilled than an elder who rarely finds need to use his skills, even though the elder has been a part of the order for a longer amount of time. The last thing that effects the time is how often a druid has merged with a particular essence; the more a druid merges with the same essence, the faster it takes every time.

Limitations: However, there are limits. The main thing that must be remembered is that the druid must maintain his meditation while performing what he wants to perform. If his concentration is broken, than the merger is also broken, and any control over his element is lost. To maintain this concentration, the druid can only merge with, or attempt to merge with, one essence at any one time. Beyond that, the druid’s limits are few. He can change anything about the essence, as long as it remains based on the same category. For example: A Gray druid can do anything he wants to an animal, except give it sentience, because that would change it from an animal based essence, to a sentient being based essence.

Hmm, I still don‘t know, what is the difference between a merger of a gray druid with an animal where he manipulates just the animal and is himself not affected - you say, that the merger has to be complee before you can do something - and the merger with an animal to form a new beast?

It should be noted here, that druids are not able to change their own essences, for they have nothing to merge with. They cannot access their own essence, only the essences of others, through merging. Not only that, one would have to be a Black druid to do it (for changing oneself would usually mean changing a sentient being essence, unless one is less than sentient) and thus, there is a taboo on even trying to tinker with one’s own essence. There are stories of the elven Black druid, Mehán’chón, who figured out how to change his own essence. The stories say he made himself grow wings, and jumped off a cliff to learn how try them out. Unfortunately, he made the wings too small to hold his weight, and, much to Mehán’chón’s dismay, he remade acquaintanceship with the ground much sooner than he originally intended. However, for the most part, druids believe the story of Mehán’chón to be only a fairy tale.

It should be made clear that the merging process takes far too long to have any practicality whatsoever in a fight. Although, if one wanted the grand effects of an "artillery" of sorts, the druids are the people capable of fulfilling that role. Druids are capable of creating smaller effects; it just takes far too long to be practical in some cases. For example, a fire druid could burn down a tree, but it would be much faster merely to chop it down with an axe.

I‘m not sure, if manipulating one‘s own essence is not possible - it may be dangerous, very, but this taboo seems to me like a ban on something which is possible but should not be done out of ethical reasons  - don‘t you think so ;)  

Training: Of course, one must learn how to do all this, and to get training one must first find a druid (which is a task in and of itself.) If the druid decides that the hopeful has the personality and drive and love that are required, then the druid trains him. This training mainly consists of how to learn to meditate effectively which takes up a huge amount of time, and learning how to merge with an essence that is so unlike that of the druids. Black druids however, must first become a druid of one of the other six orders, and then learn by themselves how to merge with a sentient essence. They are able to do this because they already know the basics of merging with essences, even though they know not how to merge with a sentient one. Thus it takes much longer to learn to become a Black druid than any other druid. Black druids are far too distrustful to take on apprentices, and the other six orders hold a taboo on Black druidism. Thus, there are very few Black druids in the world.

Please add something how long it actually takes before one is a druid .

Origins: This compendium holds no concrete evidence on the actual origins of the magic of Druids, although there are several reports, stories, and myths concerning it, and depending on which druid you ask, you will likely get a different story, assuming that the druid would be willing to tell you his stories in the first place, which is not likely unless you have proven your worth to him. Elven Druids tend to tell people that Avá, Coór, and the Aeolía placed the essences, or énh’cár'ámn in their tongue, in to their physical ‘bodies’. Some druids say that the first person to access an essence was an old farm lady, who managed to merge with one of her many cats, although this story is unlikely. Some Druids say that everything started as one essence, and thus one body, and slowly split into many, until finally all the essence that exist today, exist, as do all the bodies.

I think you should out Coor , for he is destructive and would not form anything. Maybe even Ava, depends abit on how many elven druids you have. Otherwise your human druids would know about -ava, and I don‘t know, if we want to have this.

Pikel - we will finish this entry ..somewhen ;)  

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 18 March 2006, 02:00:00 »

Ok, my weekend shall be devoted to editing this, and finishing my Masterwork (which nears completion, after almost being deleted due to computer hating me)

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 13 April 2006, 15:51:00 »

OK Al edits up and in LIME!!

Talia: about this

Quote:
Hmm, I still don‘t know, what is the difference between a merger of a gray druid with an animal where he manipulates just the animal and is himself not affected - you say, that the merger has to be complete before you can do something - and the merger with an animal to form a new beast?

the latter is an actual PHYSICAL merger, as is mentioned in the paragraph regarding the druids turning into the half man half beast thingies. THe former is all done with the druids mind.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]