Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Druidic Magic: Any thoughts?  (Read 39981 times)
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 10 January 2006, 19:16:00 »

AS to the essences: No. One type. I have spoken to luca about this, regarding "mud". The essence of Mud is called a "mud essence". Mud is created by mixing earth with water, but it is PRIMARILY earth, thus the essence of Mud is an earthbased essence, and thus would be under the dominion of Brown druids.

Essence of mud....I think I just created a new Cologne.

As to the messing stuff up dealy: You don't see a reference to it yet because i have yet to put one in. I have NOT forgotten about it, i am just trying to find a way to incorporate it without it sounding forced. Also, this seems to be an "assumed" thing. A fire druid can accidently catch stuff on fire, seems pretty obvious to me. But i will continue trying to find a way to incorporate it without sounding forced.

Physical beauty is inextricably bound to Spiritual Beauty. If you are lacking in Spiritual Beauty, then you are lacking in Physical beauty. If you are overflowing with spiritual beauty, then you are also overflowing in physical beauty. At least in MY messed up eyes.   -Derek Coulter

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 10 January 2006, 20:55:00 »

Well, I assumed it because even if changing an essence is done just as you move your hand, doesn't mean it's necessarily simple. The stuff we do in say capoeira (or any other martial art) is all hands and a feet, but not easy to do. Good you haven't forgotten about it.

As for the essences: A more elegant escape would be to say that mud is not one object, after all, if I mix sand and water, saying that it is a new object is a bit strange... what if I put two rocks side by side, is it a new rock now? So for mud, earth druid manipulates the earth in it, water druid manipulates the water. I suggest chemical reaction to be the defining criterion for a new object and a new essence. And death, of course, for living things.  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #92 on: 13 January 2006, 11:33:00 »

Quote:
I think I just created a new Cologne.

:lol  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 16 January 2006, 20:02:00 »

I am having a spot of trouble explaining this, so here it goes.

Quote:
As for the essences: A more elegant escape would be to say that mud is not one object, after all, if I mix sand and water, saying that it is a new object is a bit strange... what if I put two rocks side by side, is it a new rock now? So for mud, earth druid manipulates the earth in it, water druid manipulates the water. I suggest chemical reaction to be the defining criterion for a new object and a new essence. And death, of course, for living things.

well, with the sand and water example, those would be two essences, because you can still pick out the sand from the water, you can seperate the two. In mud however, it doesn't work that way, and thus it has one essence. The two rock one is false, for they are next two eachother, and can be seperated. Mud is one THING, while sand in water is two. Thus sand and water have 2 essences, while mud has one.

As for the 'difficulty' thing, I am also having a hard time explaining how i want this, for how do we determine what is difficult and what is not. Mainly, i want the druids do be able to do anythign cept change the essence type, although it takes a massive amount of time, although what they do may have unforseen side effects

Physical beauty is inextricably bound to Spiritual Beauty. If you are lacking in Spiritual Beauty, then you are lacking in Physical beauty. If you are overflowing with spiritual beauty, then you are also overflowing in physical beauty. At least in MY messed up eyes.   -Derek Coulter

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 17 January 2006, 11:47:00 »

Well, you can just say what you just said, about mud versus sand in water. You can pick out the sand from the water, thus two objects. With you can't, thus one object. Of course, sometimes this will be hard to determine, but that is not really a problem. Druids are, after all, not Ximax, and do not need strict formal definitions.

As for what is difficult: Precise results are difficult, or, that is what I am pointing at. Just as with your hand, say, it is easy to grab something, but to grab something in a certain way might be hard. As said - it is easy to make a fire, but if you want to make a firewall, you need to be more precise, and that would require careful thinking and directing. IMHO, of course.

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 17 January 2006, 15:02:00 »

Reading the second part of your commeny, i JUST came up with the way to explain this, and thus, shall be editing it in today.

THank you oh so very much.

Kain Cristar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #96 on: 18 January 2006, 01:52:00 »

I am going to smash in here with random critizism because I hate Derek that much...

Mud has different levels of water and dirt, depending on the circumstance of the mud, and if the sand is fine enough, you would have a very difficult time taking the sand out of the water. If you take a hand full of water from the surf on some of the beaches of hawaii, the feeling is much like that of taking a hand full of mud. In both you have a fine solid heterogeneously mixed with a liquid. With this fact in place, does the domain of the essence then depend on how find the peices of rock/dirt are?

Oh and in a forest dirt is mostly dead leaves, does that make dirt in forests under the plant domain?

This is just crap to bug you because im up late and feel like such is teh appropriate thing to do.

ps, Spelling correctly is never the appropriate thing to do.:clap  

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

-Kain Cristar, Divine Aspect

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

-Kain Cristar, Divine Aspect
Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 18 January 2006, 18:44:00 »

Damn you James.

Anyways.

Mud does have different levels, but if there is more water, then the water doesn't soak in, thus you can seperate the "mud" from the water. Thus two essences. If there is more earth, then the water soaks in, creating mud.

"dirt' never contains leaves. Mulch contains leaves. Dirt is little pieces of earth.

The Beach reference: It's still sand and water, which aren't completely mixed. Given enough time, you can seperate the two. You can't with mud.

Spelling correctly is always appropriate.

Derek wins. James loses.

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 24 January 2006, 00:28:00 »

EDITED UP

Any questions would be greatly appreciated, as i am trying to think on ways to expand the entry, and answering questions always helps that process.

We are the music makers, and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.
- Ode, Arthur O’Shaughnessy

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 24 January 2006, 03:13:00 »

Quote:
The Beach reference: It's still sand and water, which aren't completely mixed. Given enough time, you can seperate the two. You can't with mud.

Given enough time and energy (you have to put in to reverse the chaos effects), you can seperate mud as well, I would say.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 24 January 2006, 19:19:00 »

I disagree. the water has soaked into the earth when it is mud, and thus impossible to remove without drying it, which makes it not mud.

Unless my understanding of mud is confused

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 24 January 2006, 20:30:00 »

From a scientific point of view: unless there have been chemical reactions, it's possible to seperate it manually. In the case of mud it would be hard, but possible.

But Santharia doesn't know anything about molecules and atoms, so druids could believe differently.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 25 January 2006, 03:26:00 »

While that may be true, I seriously doubt a compendium writer would have access to that information, seeing as how i doubt anyone in this era would be able to seperate the water from teh earth in mud without the limited technology which they have.

Although i still have trouble believing that one can manuelly seperate water and water in mud. granted the atoms haven't become one, but the earth has still absorbed the water, which is why mud has the consistensy it does.  

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #103 on: 25 January 2006, 15:24:00 »

You can manually separate water and "mud".

All it takes is a piece of cloth. Granted it may not be the best quality of water, it is still water and separated from the dirt. Naturally, the thinner the cloth the easier the water will seep through.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Pikel
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 26 January 2006, 00:10:00 »

Hmm.

Guess i was wrong about mud being an example.

I shall find a new idea for an example.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]