Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Flame Blades, Fire spell, Ximax, school of fire. lvl 5  (Read 6783 times)
Kalan Darkwoe

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 May 2006, 11:34:00 »

Name: Flame Blades

School: School of Fire, Ximax

Level: 5

Overview: A fire spell used by magi/fighters to increase the damage of their blades. This spell sets your weapons on fire, such as swords, lances, armblades, and other weapons. It allows the caster to add magic with weapons, and not hurt himself. This makes it so when you hit the enemy, it sets them on fire, or scorch them by the fire.

Spell Effect: It sets weapons on fire and allows you to do more damage to a enemy. Doing so can increase the chance of killing or majorly hurting someone.

Casting Procedure: The mage sets his or her hand on the flat of the blade, thinking "blade a fire!" once he has gathered enough ounia, he releases his hand and says "Flame and blade, unite!" The blade then sets on fire.

Spell formula: to be added.

Target: any type of weapon that you want to set fire to.

Reagents: sulfur added to the hand on the flat of the weapon.

School: School of Fire Magic, Ximax.

Spell class: Imbueing.

The higher level the mage casting the spell, the hotter and longer the fire on the blade will burn.
Level 5; burns at around 300 degrees F, and lasts for about 5 minutes
Level 7; burns at around 350 degrees F, and last for about 15 minutes.
Level 9; burns at around 450 degrees F, and last about 30 minutes.
Level 11; burns at a raging 600 degrees, and lasts about 45 minutes.
Level 12; burns at an intense 800 degrees F, and lasts about an hour.

Casting time: an experienced mage can cast it in a matter of around 1 minute, for it takes a while to gather enough ounia to cast the spell. however, an un-experienced mage, around level 5, will take about 5 minutes to cast it.

Edited by: Kalan Darkwoe at: 5/20/06 19:35
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2006, 11:36:00 »

M'kay.  Since I put you up to this to test your knowledge, I will be the first to comment.  Good job for your first spell, however you are missing one section.  Also, add a bit more detail to the spell effect section and the casting procedure. In the spell effect section talk about what must be gathered or altered, while in casting procedure explain specifics.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Kalan Darkwoe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2006, 11:43:00 »

ahh. ok, but you think it is good for the first spell, so you do believe i have been reading on magic? ok, i will work on it.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2006, 11:49:00 »

Xun, I said it was a good start.  You still ahve a bit of a ways to go before you get this approved.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2006, 12:44:00 »

I doubt there aren't a lot of magi/fighters and of those few I doubt there are many that ever reach level 5.

You'll need a much better explanation on how this works in 'spell effects'. Why doesn't the weapon burn up for example? And how come the mage doesn't get hurt, but the enemy does?

Quote:
Casting Procedure: The mage sets his or her hand on the flat of the blade, thinking "blade a fire!" once he has gathered enough ounia, he releases his hand and says "Flame and blade, unite!" The blade then sets on fire.

Don't add any formulas for now. We still don't know how they work/are build up yet :p

What sphere falls this spell under (and why)? Imbuing is not a spell class (see my entry on the fire spells).

No degrees F. We don't have such a scale and we can't measure temperatures.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2006, 12:56:00 »

Pfft.  Most people use celcius anyway.  :p

I see two possible ways of doing this.  
1. Use Sphere 1, temporarily create flames around the weapon.  Requires constant concentration though, which might reduce its usefulness.  
2. Use Sphere 3, add Fire ounia to the weapon and arrange them in a way that the weapon is covered in flames.  Would require a pretty high level though, and probably would be a permanent enchantment isntead of something that wears off relatively soon (which also means that it's going to be really hard to cast).  

The first method is probably closer to what you want, but a concern here is that there might not be enough Fire ounia in the weapon to achieve something like that.  I'm not sure if that's the case, but if it is, then it might require you to use Sphere 3 to increase the amount of Fire ounia first.  This won't be the same as the second, since you're only using it to boost the power of your spell, but it'd still require a relatively high level.  

I'm also wondering how useful such a spell might actually be in combat.  Aside from what Marvin said about there not being many magi who would fight in melee (especially Fire, considering what they can do at a distance), I'm wondering how much more damage a flaming blade would do.  It mainly just looks scary and ipressive and stuff, and the heat from it might even be distracting to the weilder.  Of course, not having ever dealt with flaming weapons before, I cannot be absolutely sure.  

You might also want to consider the idea of casting it on a bodyguard or ally's weapon, instead of your own.  

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2006, 13:01:00 »

Why not make it on anything and rename the spell Flaming enchantment or something.  If you do this, look at Marv's fire school entry and I'm sure you can get a good firey word to substitue flaming from there.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Xun Darkwoe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2006, 13:12:00 »

hmm, i guess i might not be a good idea then. and i said that it could be cast on any weapon, so technically, it cold be cast on an enemy weapon, though ou probably want to do that. well, i don't like the spell right now anyways, so just delete this post. i'll try another, kind of easier one.

the trees are my life, the forest my soul. Whomever takes that away will not be tolerated Xun Darkwoe, Hunter of Thorns

Modhal Silnara

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2006, 13:22:00 »

Xun, as orril told me, you can't go on a spell binge.  If you don't like this as it is, change it so it suits you better.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2006, 18:39:00 »

No degrees Fahrenheit, certainly, and no levels either.  Why don't you guys try to THINK in medieval terms?  :p  

'When cast by a neophyte, the flame glows weakly golden and can set a parchment held over it on fire, with about the same strength as a blown-upon coal.  A stronger mage can create a flame which burns as well (and casts a light about itself) as any link or torch.  It is said that powerful mages can cast this spell upon a weapon so hotly that a golden circlet dropped over the burning blade would melt in the magickal fires..."

or something along those lines... :hammer  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2006, 18:53:00 »

Hope this spell worksout for you Xun, as I already have a character that accomplishes this through faith in Foiros.  

(`._he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ncient and u o eath_.)

Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2006, 20:23:00 »

Hmm... How about Flaming Weapons? I am also planning to make that spell, but... :(  

Behold... Admire... Fear... and Wonder. Witness the fire burning in me... Burning... To Avenge.

The Ironforge Pyromancer

Edited by: Thorgas Ironforge at: 5/21/06 4:26
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2006, 20:50:00 »

Wait, can we make spells for clerics???

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Mis'fer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2006, 02:23:00 »

Yes... I was thinking of a spell for Foiros worshippers (Fire Again! :biggrin  ). I alreadly have written spells (if you could call them spells) for them such as Flame of the Devout, Sanctuary, Blessed Flame, Flaming Defense, etc...

Behold... Admire... Fear... and Wonder. Witness the fire burning in me... Burning... To Avenge.

The Ironforge Pyromancer

Edited by: Thorgas Ironforge at: 5/21/06 10:44
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2006, 06:39:00 »

Talia would probably kill you for even thinking that clerics have spells.  Or at least express quite a bit of displeasure.  

Anyway, no, clerics do not have what we'd normally call spells.  The 'magical' effects associated with them are more properly termed miracles, and, according to them, are performed by their gods.  The clerics, if I understand it corectly, also have little control over what, if anything, happens.  They pretty much just pray for their god to do something, and if their god decides to answer their prayer, some miraculous effect of their god's choosing would happen.  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]