Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Why having Tribes layed vertically on top of each other doesn't work  (Read 4502 times)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 30 July 2006, 16:03:59 »

since we're dealing with a rain forest it would be possible for someone to live their whole life in the trees without ever touching the ground. How about if we made the teritorial map 3d in the sense that if you climb a tree from its base to its top you pass thru several countries on the way to the top.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2006, 20:54:23 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2006, 20:50:23 »

That doesn't work Xera, Krean settlements already use 3d maps to chart their roads (there are several 'echelons'/levels so the trafic not only flows vertically and horizontally but also diagonally across these strata)

Also, for political reasons, I don't think kingdoms bottled up above each other would work...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2006, 21:27:34 »

Not to mention that we already have a tribe of elves in Sarvonia - the Maeverhim - which 'live their whole life without touching the ground'  and who are exiled as 'Earthburned' if they do so - no need to be derivative when there are so many other creative possibilities...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2006, 22:04:19 »

And a second tribe living most of their lives in the trees will be placed in Nybelmar (with the mayor difference these humans will walk the ground without being exiled, they just live above becaue of the lack of solid ground)

number1 editing topic title to "Drifting Woods" instead of rainforest, to prevent things i need to remember from vanishing in the flow of discusions related to other forests.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2006, 11:25:35 »

I think we could make such tribes to be very different from the Maeverhim I could see many such tribes

most of them would start out as hunters and gatherers that would tend to spend most of their time at certain levels in the trees because of the animals they like to hunt and the fruits and nuts they like to collect.

They would eventually form settlments farming epiphytes.

tribes without teritory near the top of the trees would want to fight to get closer to the top to have places to grow that got more sun

tribes that had no territory on land would be called "air locked" and often fight for territory on the ground particularly if they are near the ocean.
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2006, 19:46:18 »

All these things only work when there are many tribes in to little spce, something that does not seem to occur on our main continents as of yet, as our current tribes all have their own, seperate territories.

EDIT (Coren): I've split the topic to prevent polluting Mira's thread :)
« Last Edit: 04 August 2006, 02:57:33 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2006, 02:41:51 »

With trees growing several strals high some settlements will occur directly over or under other settlements.  We could do certain things to increase this such have certain trees that produce lots of fruit that people like to settle near.
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2006, 03:01:18 »

Trees growing several "strals" (1km) high? Xera I did say that the Krean rainforests were home to collosal trees but that 1km tops any structure even 21st century terrans have been able to build...

And no, settlements will not be located directly over or under other settlements in the Krean realm. All the settlements ARE already multi-layered - starting from the forest ground all the way up to the canopy (if they are large enough).

Also remember that trees need air to breathe and sunlight to live - so any human settlement will have to take these into careful consideration to avoid suffocating the trees

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2006, 04:05:49 »

How exactly do Krean build as not to obstruct the trees?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2006, 05:07:27 »

(tree sizes; Largest trees written thus far are the Pillar tree (100+ peds) and the Coastal Redwood (approx. 90 peds))

Avrah Kehabhra

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2006, 02:56:58 »

We should have some very tall trees like over half a dozen furlay tall ( yes i realize thats over 130 miles).

That would allow us to do all kinds of cool stuff like.

Tribes where the idea of land is considered a myth.

a large variety of animals including giant dragons that only live in trees and never touch the ground.

We could fit a larger variety of plants and animals in forest.

The ground would be full of dangerous creatures such as giant gopags, dragons, demons, giant snakes, giant insects and all kinds of dangerous creatures. It would be one of the most dangerous places in all of Caelereth.

Imagine something like Kashyyk. minus starships with a less hairy population  grin
« Last Edit: 07 August 2006, 03:07:51 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2006, 03:01:01 »

o.O
Uh, I don't think that's a good idea. 

BTW, I believe it's actually spelled 'Kashyyyk'.  :P

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2006, 03:08:30 »

130 Miles! There would be shadows that could cover entire cities if they were close enough!

Land, a myth? What would keep their huge trees anchored? If you want dangerous forests just go to Krar, they have the most flora and fauna in the entire continent of Nybelmar!

Xera, I think if you want a tribe that is so far from land why not create tall (but not gargantuan) trees which some sort of tropical brownie living in them?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2006, 04:25:38 »

The idea of land to some of the tribes that live in the trees would be like the idea of a round earth to flat earthers.
Some people in these tribes would beleive these trees went on forever they would consider it a radical idea they were anchored to anything or that there was a place you couldn't fall forever from.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2006, 08:29:38 »

Miraran the size of the trees is not just an anthropological issue. It also effects the ecology of the forest.
If the trees are tall enough we could have several ecological niches at different heights.
Different Epiphytes could grow at certain heights based on how much light they needed and animals based on what they ate.

Coren: That is a smart concept Xera! However:
1. You suggested those trees for the south; Drifting Woods are to the north of Western Nybelmar. Also Miraran already has an image of how he would like his forest to look like - he also mentioned several times that he does not intend to integrate your proposal there. So let's keep the threads separate.

2. If you want those trees to be that huge you need to do your research and PROVE to me that it is possible. I am especially concerned about the shadows Decipher mentioned as well as possible risks of earthquakes - they built this skyscraper in Thailand and realized that it is actually fracturing the fault lines now...

I do like your strata-based-niches idea, however let's not overdo things. The same thing can be accomplished with much smaller trees (though still collosal to terran standards)

« Last Edit: 05 August 2006, 18:28:54 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]