Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: The Greater Hummingbird (Usages and Researcher sections to go!); Nybelmar  (Read 24828 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 23 February 2008, 23:01:04 »

'woman trying to tan'  - though the description of the preening Hummer is vivid and attractive, this simile should be changed. 

Medieval women would not have sought to tan, as a sun-darkened skin equated one with the peasants who had to spend their days outside.  Modern women (and men), ironically enough,  now consider a tan desirable because it is a symbol of leisure: only the poor peons who toil under fluorescent lights and can't afford to take tropical vacations are 'fish-belly white'.   Of course with the  (comparatively) recent association of the sun with skin cancer, we may see society's perceptions shift back again to consider pale (for those whom it is natural) desirable.  :P

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 February 2008, 00:00:57 »

But assuming this is a reference to the Krean judith....they already have darkish skin as the norm...So I don't think the same logic ('Pale is good') would apply to the Krean...since they are naturally un-pale themselves....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2008, 09:17:54 »

Without being judgemental about skin tone in general, I'm simply trying to point out that 'good' is usually defined in medieval and contemporary society alike by what the 'beautiful people' - in this case the wealthy and nobility - have, do, and are.   Indicators of working status - whether calloused hands, sun-burnt skin, rough clothing, long vs short hair - are generally perceived as less desirable.  The Krean probably have all sorts of status determiners, but I don't recall that exposing themselves to the sun (for whatever reason) is one of them.   

Of course, if Coren has written somewhere that the Krean women rise every morning to greet the new day and bare their bodies to the rays as an act of worship, and the more sunbrowned the more devout, far be it from me to disagree!  I'd still take exception to the contemporary verb 'tan', but I'm a picker of nits to a refined degree.... :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 February 2008, 03:12:33 »

I seem to generate debate even when I am not working on an entry ;)

A couple of short remarks:

(1) This entry needs EXTENSIVE re-organization, following Talia's detailed Uri-check above: (i) the main entry will be significantly shortened, with several sections "outsourced" to free-standing entries, (ii) Most of the detail will be transposed to "excerpts"; (iii) the body of the text will be structured by "theme-sentences" to allow a reader to skim through and skip sections they are not interested in

I would need a couple of uninterrupted, "block" sessions (2-3 hours) to finish such an in-depth edit. Regretably, I don't have the time to devote to that at the moment. So, I will have to come back to this over the summer.

(No further uris are necessary until Talia's comments have been integrated. But thanks for the enthusiasm!  grin )

(2) Thanks Judith! I must confess tge anachronism of "tan" didn't occur to me ::shepish grin::

(3) Re: skin-tone of the Krean

They are actually quite light-skinned; not "marble white" but more along the lines of Mediterranean folk: "Shielded by the great canopy of their rainforests the slender Krean figure complemented a soft, light skin touched with the faintest of grain tones." (Krean entry)

Those among the Aestera who make a point of their Aesteran - as opposed to Krean - ancestry, would try to remain as pale as possible (maybe they share the Japanese penchant for walking with an umbrella on sunny days?): the ancient Aestera had a nocturnal cycle, their waking hours from a couple of hours before sunset to mid-morning

I presume the separationist among the Lillivear, on the other hand, would make a point of getting their skin as tanned as possible: (i) opposite side of the same coin of reasoning: the Lillivear traditionally lived 'on the sunny side of life' ;P (ii) since the forest canopy of the northern woods shield the Krean populace from excessive exposure to the sun, I guess a "darker skin" would signify that one has travelled widely & "experienced the world" in addition to one's having - oh, I don't know - a couple of summer residences on the Zhunite plains

(4)
the Krean women rise every morning to greet the new day and bare their bodies to the rays as an act of worship, and the more sunbrowned the more devout, far be it from me to disagree!

I understand it was intended as a humourous remark but I am quite fascinated by the idea  cool Judith, now I just HAVE to invent a new ceremony to integrate that! I fear we will be seeing devout lobsters in Zhun, who may come to regret having been a bit over-zealous in their worship...

EDIT: Maybe, the common folk sarcastically refer to them as "the Hummers"?
« Last Edit: 25 February 2008, 03:45:11 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 August 2012, 03:24:31 »

I'm worried that this bird might be too big to hide under the bush.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 04 September 2012, 03:49:54 »

Question here as well: As this one's too big to hide under the bush - could we make a move and shoo this one out of its hiding place? We could put it up, at least what's there so far (might take three updates tough... lol) - feel free to add dozens of further pages to contribute to the myth of the entry's length, but they could be added later to what we have on site. Or has the entry already achieved such status of immortality that you aren't allowed to touch it anymore, Coren? rolleyes

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 September 2012, 03:58:14 »

Or has the entry already achieved such status of immortality that you aren't allowed to touch it anymore, Coren?

I like that line of reasoning very much! Can I use it as my excuse?   buck

Jokes aside, I think this is too long. I will prune it down. Considerably. I don't want you to spend three updates on a bird, mythical or not!

I know I've been avoiding this entry and I know one of these days I should make a start. It's just that... it's so long! I'm procrastinating.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]