Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Unwritten Truths of Southwestern Nybelmar  (Read 4183 times)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« on: 06 September 2006, 17:50:12 »

I was given the task of compiling all of the information that Coren had given me since I got here, and catalouge it so that future newbies can access it (or just make sense of Coren's entries grin). Here is the first installment-The High Temple of Ankriss

Decipher

THE HIGH TEMPLE OF ANKRISS

Who is Ankriss?

Ankriss is the Krean goddess of nature and life.

What is the High Temple?

The HT (High Temple) can refer to two things.

1) The actual temple complex, which is the centre of Ankriss’ worship, that houses the priestesses
2) An organisation that is the equivalent of a secondary ruling body for the Krean run by the High Priestess. She approves almost every major decision in Krean as well as the imperial (Krath) governments.

Who is the High Priestess?

The HP (High Priestess) is an individual with incredible power, near to that of a God. She is connected to every priestess and, in a way, to every Krean. She can feel and see through her followers’ body. The HP is also immortal. The HP is the joining of all the past high priestesses in a single body, each HP adding her soul to the mixture when she becomes one. She is embedded in the Tree of Ages in the Sacred Woods.

How do you become a HP?

The HP maintains a group of seven candidates, named ‘the petals’. Each ‘petal’ has proved their worth in some way and is considered to become the HP, although there are normally favourites. Most 'petals', among other things, have the dreamer ability, forseeing the future. As such they are famous for the prophecies they produce.

What happens if one of the Petals dies?

The HP grants all of the petals extended life so that she has time to consider each candidate. The HP looks into the very soul of the candidate, locating every flaw, revealing every feeling and thought the petal has.

What are the HP’s duties?

It would take an eternity to mention them all. The HP is seen as ‘Voice of Ankriss’ and the HP approves almost every decision. She is probably the most powerful spell-caster in the whole of Nybelmar; her ethical rules are the only things that stop her controlling the continent, not to forget the fact that she is embedded in the Tree of Ages.

But Isn’t the HP immortal, Why would there ever be more than one?

To put it simply, she gets bored of living. The HP normally lives for centuries, gathering knowledge, committing generous acts etc. But once the HP has done all she can possibly do she wants to end her life. She cannot kill herself though, as she is immortal, so she merges with another spirit, allowing a new priestess to melt into the concoction of the previous one/s. The fresh, lively spirit from the new candidate helps to rejuvenate the weary soul of the HP.

What is the Tree of Ages?

The tree of Ages is the HP’s throne. It is a seat set into a tree, but as the HP sits there she becomes one with the tree, her skin fusing with the bark, branches growing around her. This is the major disadvantage that the HP has; she has unimaginable power, but cannot leave her fixed point.

How does the HP learn anything from this tree?

The HT has an elaborate network of spies and advisors, which regularly report to her the goings on of Nybelmar. She can still read from the tree, but also has the ability to scry, she can focus her mind to any point she can think about (but these are not always very precise and do tend to be somewhat ‘hazy’ reflections of reality).

She can also act through the bodies of her followers. The priestesses, and most Krean, go through complicated rituals to form a bond with her. It is through this bond that she can almost possess another being, seeing, hearing and feeling through them.The Krean sometimes say 'as if guided by the HP’s hand' to account for an impulsive or unexpected act that just ‘feels right’ at the time and brings about wondrous results.

The Breaking?

We should start at the beginning. There once were best friends, named Eluda and Alora, who were both Petals. The favourite to become HP was Eluda, although this never got in the way of their friendship. It was claimed though that Eluda was a well-accomplished practitioner of the dark arts, around this time the two’s relationship also began to deteriorate. Alora always denied the claims though, probably because she trusted the decision the High Priestess to make her a Petal. When the HP finally decided who would become the new one she chose Eluda, but Eluda refused - which is possibly the most dishonourable thing a Krean, especially a priestess, could do. This was when Alora began to investigate these claims, and exposed Eluda as a proficient necromancer and demon summoner- Alora shamed Eluda, but Eluda warned her that she would in time commit crimes far more terrible then hers.

Since Eluda refused the HP’s offer the HP chose Alora instead. Although Alora accepted the offer she resented the HP for not choosing her first. Most of the temple felt that Alora didn’t deserve the post, so to prove them wrong she tried to outdo every former HP in generosity, great acts and knowledge. Alora began to become paranoid and continued to outdo her past actions, never settling with what she had accomplished. This paranoia became an obsession and with every passing year she was crawling closer and closer to insanity. After 600 years of pressure and the horrible 30-year Orcal War in which the Krath Empire suffered terrible losses, Alora could no longer take it. She released her power it a cataclysm that devastated the Krean and a large portion of western Nybelmar, this event is known as the Breaking. It is said that the entire temple is still struggling to keep her alive, as after the Breaking she dropped into a coma, but a coma that was more like death than sleep.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2006, 20:48:35 by Decipher Ziron » Logged

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2006, 18:09:51 »

God-like power?  Oh dear.  I really hope you know what you're doing, Coren. 

Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2006, 18:25:57 »

@Decipher:
"I just thought of a possibly cool addition: The Krean sometimes say ‘as if guided by the HP’s hand’ to account for an impulsive or unexpected act that just ‘feels right’ at the time and brings about wondrous results."

Decipher! You just copied and pasted my comments from the uri-check without reading them!

Also, you need to add the Dreamer & prophesies part.

@Mina: You need to remember that this is written from the Developer’s Point of View, so it does not necessarily reflect the way Nybelmarians (or the Santharian Compendium) regards the issue.

I do realize how dangerous and open to exploitation (dev-wise) an individual with god-like powers can be. That is actually one of the main developmental reasons she is in a coma right now (after the Breaking) – I don’t intend for that to change any time soon.

Therefore, for most western Nybelmarians, the High Priestess is a myth – very few people believe in her existence today. That is because no-one other than the priestesses who are supposed to be looking after her see the HP anymore. And the priestesses don’t live among the Krean as much as they used to before the Year of Darkness (Breaking) anymore.

Hope that clears the issue a bit :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2006, 18:34:29 »

Yes, it does.  I trust that you won't mess things up too badly, but you should be careful in any case.  It's always dangerous to try develop something of this sort. 

Coren: Well Mina, it's the same danger with having a Chosen concept or the mythical figure of Menemronn for Nybelmarian history (btw, from a developer's pov we accept him as 'real' and write everything around that while Nybelmarians are not so 'sure'). They serve as pivotal points for the development of history and myths (library entriest etc). We need personalities to dramatically change the political etc landscape of a given period, explain certain events and there you go: mythilogical figures. Frankly I don't see much of a danger with having the HP: She can influence the current and future state of matters no more than can the Chosen, who no longer exist... Santharian devers need the Chosen to explain why the continents formed, why magic was regarded as evil for a time etc - I need the HP to explain the political make-up and history of the Krath Empire until the Year of Darkness, the Breaking and the general distrust of other tribes against the Krean...
« Last Edit: 07 September 2006, 00:13:49 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2006, 20:51:35 »

Sorry Coren , I did edit it slightly, but it seems that I pasted the old version into the text box. BTW Do the petals prophesise things or does the HP do it?
Coren: Just posting my reply under the same post to avoid cluttering this thread - I assume you will keep posting these 'notes' here? All "Dreamers" basically prophesize things, foretelling future events - or at least are supposed to. Since only a Dreamer can become the High Priestess, and the Petals are HP-candidates, it follows that indeed the Petals indulge in prophetic practices. Not only 'Dreamers' dream equally vividly and accurately of course - just like various palmists, tealeaf-readers, oracles etc on terra if you believe in those. There are some very illustrious ones, who become legends like Nostradamus here and some who faintly show the talent. At any rate Dreamers are rare. The High Temple records all the prophesies of its priestesses (and others of different, foreign etc origins). A key point is these are seldom revealed to the general public - or even the ruling bodies! That's another reason the High Temple of Ankriss (and consequently its priestesses) had a mystical, authoratative, 'formidable' air - people generally assumed the HT had a secret agenda of its own (partly based on these hidden prophesies), knew things beyond their (normal people) knowledge etc. The priestesses of course took great advantage of this fear/assumption/belief - often to facilitate certain tricky political changes they deemed necessary. Afterall wouldn't YOU be worried if one of a priestess casually let it slip / hinted that you will die on the battlefield just when you were planning to wage war on a neighbouring kingdom?

PS: Did Eluda forsee what Alora would do?
Maybe... The truth of the matter is a mystery - vague suggestions and ambiguity make things more interesting, eh? ;)
« Last Edit: 07 September 2006, 00:28:11 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2007, 19:33:53 »

Could this be stickied please?

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2007, 03:59:50 »

Decipher, once you add everything we discussed to this I'll try to do some housekeeping around the forum; merging the 'post-it' threads together to have all the little bits of information under one heading. It might take some time though, given my limited online presence (Although I appear to be signed in to the board for hours in the afternoon, I am usually doing some course-related menial labour like downloading cases and organizing them).

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2007, 19:03:03 »

I see -from various posts over the fora - that there is some confusing as regards the Krean today. They still do exist (though they are quite different from the original "Ancient" Krean) and indeed control a significant empire (do see the current political map!!!!!!!!!). However, their existence will remain an unofficial "developers' secret" for some time. At any rate, in many respects they are a lot less developed then their ancestors - the Ancient Krean (& all related entries) representing a sort of "Atlantis" for southwestern nybelmar. Those are the Lost Ones.

The priestesses of Ankriss have all been called back to the High Temple (somewhere in the middle of that mountainous 'bulk' - see the map) in a desperate attempt to keep their HP alive/in a coma after the Breaking. If any still remain today, they do not, cannot afford to, venture outside the Temple grounds. Quite a miserable existance...

Thus, Lost Ones do NOT have any priestesses of Ankriss among them.

All shall be revealed in good time, I promise ;)

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2007, 17:38:26 »

innoc

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2007, 00:26:05 »

For Vikthi's sake Coren.. if you want this to stay to the top, make it sticky!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2007, 02:32:45 »

I just wanted to bring it to Deci's attention. About the stickies, read above.

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2007, 03:36:09 »

Oh...do you wish for me to summarise the stuff about Marmarra we discussed a few weeks ago?

Coren: And a few other things that are missing from here I think

Decipher: Other things?
« Last Edit: 18 July 2007, 04:06:29 by Decipher Ziron » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]