Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Poll
Question: Whats your favorite fantasy series?
Eragon (Inheritance)
The Lord of the Rings
Chronicles of Narnia
Redwall
Discworld

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Best Fantasy book series  (Read 11795 times)
colossuem

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2006, 09:48:23 »

You mean eldest? anyways I knew they were going too make a eragon video game but not a movie but anyways I love his books so sos sosso sosossoo much grin

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Baromosa

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2006, 22:08:02 »

Yes, eldest was my all time favorite. The begining was alittle slow but it got so good I can't wait for his third. Maybe I should try some other books though while i'm waiting. any ideas?

I walk through the fire seeking answers, only to find new mysteries in the ashes.
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2006, 03:07:33 »

Let's see....."Quest for Celestia" by Steven James is amazing. It's a retelling of "Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan. Amazing....just...yeah....wow.....

"Watership Down" by Richard Adams is another book that's really great. If you like Redwall, then you'll enjoy Watership Down. Redwall is written after the fashion of WD so yeah...

"Castaways of the Flying Dutchman" by Brian Jacques is great. *nods*

Baromosa

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2006, 03:43:12 »

Brian Jacques, great author. I highly recondmend him.

I never read that castaways book though, i'll have to look into that one.

Douglas Adams still rules! Thanks for the ideas though. looks like good reading.

I walk through the fire seeking answers, only to find new mysteries in the ashes.
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2006, 05:21:24 »

Decisions, Decisions! Head... spinning!!!

'Late? Don't be silly. I arrived just in time for tea.'
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2006, 06:17:21 »

Whats Discworld? huh

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Kain Cristar

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2006, 07:12:41 »

You want a series? How about the Freaking Wheel of Time?!?!?!

What is a fantasy book poll without it?

Sword of Truth series?

the whole Drizzt du Urden?

Those are just trilogies, and the lord of the rings is really more like a historic mythological text.

I give votes to Wheel of Time, and am amazed its not there.

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

-Kain Cristar, Divine Aspect
Baromosa

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2006, 07:48:25 »

sorry to disappoint you but there are alot of series, i couldn't possibly list them all.

whats so great about wheel of time? you seem quite passionate about it.

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2006, 16:48:07 »

Wheel of Time is one of the longest fantasy series. I believe that book 11 (?) just came out. He's still not down with them. I've read the first one and started on the second one, but too much stuff was happening so I didn't get very far.

And who could forget Drizz't? He's just one of the famous dark elves you'll ever meet.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2006, 09:16:23 »

You haven't seen fantasy until you read two authors: Tolkien and Pratchett. They're benchmarks for fiction in a way.

About Drizzt... the whole concept of Drow fascinates me, and I read the first book, but was a bit disappointed. What I saw everywhere dark elves or Drow were mentioned was this idea of an alien mindset with different morals (or lack thereof), and the fascinating part was to see the world from their perspective. Instead, the first book unilaterally depicted the whole city of Menzoberranzan as evil, and turned Drizzt into a kind of idealized "goody-two-shoes" hero who wouldn't hurt a fly. In other words, the disappointment was that I expected to see for a first time a kind of "shades of grey" mentality in fantasy, and instead there was the usual "pure good hero, ugly evil villain" binary world. Oh well...
Kain Cristar

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2006, 15:36:45 »

I've actually never read R.A Sarvador, but Derek AKA Pikel loved the books so I felt that they needed mentioning

The Wheel of Time is one of my favorite fantasy series. The writing is interesting and the plot epic. The characteres evolve in interesting ways and the series is applicably dark and forboding, yet at times light and dainty... not too dainty though. Really its the sheer epic scale of everything that makes it so real. Everything is very well put together and the world is diverse, fantastic, breathtaking, and believeable. The history and mythology of the world which binds seamlessly into the actual tales, (something which tolkien didn't quite accomplish imho, it was more broken, probably because seamlessness and epic storytelling were not his goal, but in depth world creation and the engineering of his own mythology) is intruiging and imaginitive. The one flaw is that the series is simply soooo long. Each of the books is massive, and the reading is not at all fast, rather slow actually.

Really Sci Fi is a much better genre for me, its much less campy and there are alot more influential and intelligent philosophical writers for sci fi then there are for fantasy. This is all of course in my opinion. While I agree that tolkien was great, the lord of the rings was ment to be read as a book of mythology, he wanted it to read like history, and it does. Heinlien, vonnegut, orwel, Card. Those writers saw something, and spoke of more than a story. They give insight to humanity and the human condition, they build philosophies and warn societies, they build and destroy civilizations in a way which is incomparable to really any author i have yet to encounter. Heinlein in particular is AMAZING. Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land... ah... bliss... that said, im going to get back to I Shall Fear No Evil.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2006, 18:11:02 by Kain Cristar » Logged

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

-Kain Cristar, Divine Aspect
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2006, 02:56:09 »

ditto wheel of time.  Started reading them after Mira said that one of the beasts I was planning was similar to a creature in the series.  Ever since then I have been unable to put them down.
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2006, 06:01:04 »

Wheel of Time was pretty boring for me.  I only managed to make it through a few pages of the first book before I give up.  Concerning Eragon, I've never read it myself, so I have no idea whether it's really good, but apparently the Ancient Language is considered a good example of what not to do when creating a language.  I've also heard accusations that he plagarised stuff from Tolkien.  :/

Quote from: Aran
You haven't seen fantasy until you read two authors: Tolkien and Pratchett. They're benchmarks for fiction in a way.
What Aran said.  You guys should read them if you haven't yet. 

Baromosa

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2006, 06:24:26 »

I've read the LOTR, Eragon didn't plagerise anything. Unless you consider the race of elves and dwarves copyrighted.

even those two cultures are portrayed differntly, espeaiclly in Eldest they really come into their own identity away from other representations; yet they keep true to ideas like the dwarves made from stone and other cultural corner stones.

And as for the Ancient Language, its alright but not great. it can function but is imcomplete and even somewhat basic. I'm not t big on languages but I liked it.

Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2006, 10:22:21 »

Three words - Boo.  Ancient.  Language.   thumbdown

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]