Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: G'day there!  (Read 11967 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 October 2006, 05:02:11 »

I do agree with Marvin that German is far closer than English. I think if Ralhag would hear what we're writing about, in other words, would have the words said to him, he might have an easier job understanding our babbling. I think the Dutch language has a more complex system of spelling-sound link than english, where there are less distinguishable sounds. Note, aforementioned is pure speculation, I'll stand as easily corrected as Mira if necessary... now wait, where did Mira go. And what's that itch? Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Following scene was censored, but surely involved some spiders feasting on human blood and a rather phantasmagorial resurrection ritual, giving the character the chance to write this message.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2006, 05:05:58 by Gean Firefeet » Logged

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 October 2006, 06:24:50 »

No, you're quite right, Gean. To give an example: An English d or t *should* be pronounced as a d or a t, also when they're at the end of a word. A Dutch d or t at the end of a word is a t. Or a dt at the end of the word, which is also possible. We pronounce it a t in any case

The reason I say should be is that Dutch people tend to say a t for an English d too.

This is just one example, and there are lots more, many of them concerning assimilation rules that I've had to learn but aren't very interesting *grins*

*edges away from the spiders*
Irid

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 24 October 2006, 14:27:01 »

"Ja" toe Gean ant Irid ook.   Ik kan niet Hollanse writing; mijn spelling is heel vreeslik - maar ik kan een kleine beetje praten.... and I think I'd understand far more conversational Dutch if I HEARD it, than I can decipher in the messages above!

Honorary-out-of-pity-Dutchie,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 October 2006, 21:04:54 »

Could I ask where you learned Dutch?

And conversational dutch might be a problem, depending on where you learned it. If you learned it in the Netherlands, Flemish Dutch might be a bit of a problem, and vice versa. I sometimes have trouble understanding people from the north of the Netherlands (no offense if anyone's from there).

Irid

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 October 2006, 23:51:22 »

Gean whispers "Our bard is of Dutch descendance".

What you say is of course true Irid, but dialects differ within each country, it just depends on how heavily it influences your 'common speech', the language you practice against foreigners so to say. I find the idea that Dutch television subtitles Flemish speech rather ridiculis, on the other hand I understand that some of my fellow Dutchmen need it. I do live only 15 miles from the border after all, I've had Flemish teachers, I know what 'goesting' means, for example  :P

- Shendar Proverb
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

Ishmaelion the philosopher

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 October 2006, 02:07:36 »

Ja, ondertiteling bij belgische programma's is hard nodig hier in Drenthe, de meeste mensen kunnen niet eens normaal Nederlands hier grin

BTW:

WELCOME LLWY!

PS:
I am indeed that rascal that introduced Llwy to this fantastic board under a well-deserved piece of hamburger!

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
italian_shadow13

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 October 2006, 09:19:10 »

If there happens to be a favorite thing about fantasy, it'd have to be the different abilities in the characters.  They all have thier very own style, amount of strength, wisdom, and charm.  I've finished my brainstorming for a story i'm soon to start.  It's called"The Young Weilder", yet it takes more time than i would have thought.

Farwell
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 25 October 2006, 14:06:37 »

Ouch, Irid!  Was it that terrible to decipher?  Yes, I'm of Dutch descent - second generation, here in Canada.  Mijn fader was en Drenthe geborne, and came over on the boat as a teen.  He learned to speak English with almost no perceptible accent (other than Canadian, I guess) but retained his Dutch and spoke it around the house when we were growing up.   I'm told when I speak the little I do know that I have a pronounced Drenthse (peasant) accent!  :D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Llwy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 October 2006, 17:26:15 »

I understand most Flamish, but sometimes I do need subtitles to follow the rapid chatter of Flamish Police Series on TV. And I live kinda south <.<a

@ Italian_shadow: You just managed to post off topic in an already existing off topic discussion o.O

Nyt wyf fi fforch
Irid
« Reply #39 on: 25 October 2006, 20:28:30 »

Oh, I´m very sorry if that sounded like I didn´t understand what you wrote. That was not the idea, I understood you perfectly. I was merely curious, that´s all.

About the subtitles, I understand why it´s necessary sometimes, but the broadcasting companies can exaggarate. And then the subtitles show almost exactly the same as what the people say, only one or two words changed.

I know some belgian people who talk with a real Dutch accent (bekakt Nederlands) when they talk to Dutch people. But when they talk Flemish it´s with a real Antwerpish Dialect, so I can understand why. I, however, principally refuse to talk with a Dutch accent (apart from knowing that it´d sound absolutely ridiculous) because Dutch people understand me anyway. Most of them, that is. When I was first together with my boyfriend he even asked me if I spoke more "standard dutch" than normally because of him, even though I talked the way I always talk. (My boyfriend is from the Netherlands)

Ok that post was longer than I imagined. Hopefully it will post because I´m not logged in.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2006, 03:32:44 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 October 2006, 03:22:29 »

Hm....I believe I have no Dutch blood in me at all....although I am a 3rd/4th generation immagrant from Germany on my mom's side. Don't ask me about speaking German, though. I don't know it all that well. Although I can count to 10! ^^ That counts for something, right?

Llwy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 October 2006, 08:49:55 »

German is a most beautiful and noble language! And counting to 10 is the first path to enlightenment thumbup

Nyt wyf fi fforch
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 October 2006, 21:43:25 »

If counting to ten in German is the first path to enlightenment, you go straight to heaven when you can count to ten in Gaelic, right? :b (sorry, couldn't resist)

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 27 October 2006, 22:21:26 »

rolling

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]