Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do Clerics marry?  (Read 4418 times)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« on: 05 December 2006, 05:11:56 »

I started writing on my masterwork, and I was wondering something that someone here might know, Talia maybe? I'm making the person I'm describing a cleric, but do they marry or do they live in celibaty like Terran priests?

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2006, 05:27:31 »

Ermm, only PART of the Terran priests live in celibacy.

No, they are generally allowed to marry, however, I didn't think through all gods, if there should be one where it just not happens. There will be sects which don't marry, there will be individuals who donate their life to god, maybe they should not     marry (not have no sexual contact) in their apprenticeship, but normally marrying is allowed. On which type of cleric (which god) do you think?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2006, 18:23:06 »

Well I´m still deciding between Nehtor and Eyasha, though inclining towards Eyasha. And I meant Roman-Catholic priests, because I thought that the other factions didn´t use that word, though I may be wrong.

Another problem that I have is that the picture that I have in mind shows red robes. According to Arti there is not really a way to have a cleric of Eyasha wear red robes, would you agree with that?

Irid al'Menie
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2006, 18:30:14 »

Well, considering the catholic church (roman & partially the orthodox) are the only one that have an obligated celibacy for their 'clerics' and that one of the reasons (how important it was I'm going to leave in the middle) for making celibacy obligated was that priest were no longer able to have legal children (which meant the church inherited the priests possessions), I wouldn't take that one as an example. I would rather take the celibacy in some Eastern monasteries as a guideline.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2006, 19:08:25 »

No, red clothes for Eyasha are impossible, her colour is white.

Nehtor on the other hand: "His colors are blues and purples for sorrow, but also healing."
Maybe your clothes are purple instead of red?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2006, 08:05:23 »

Talia said right... only some clerics live in celibaty, Mexican Bishops rarelly do...  cry

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Agudo and Hoot

Agudo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2006, 13:17:39 »

Hail and well met all

Mayhap's good friends of storytelling, I could ask a question or two

On the old boards I heard that the priest/cleric was not an option for making a char
From what I have read here, I can assume that has changed? 

To see one must walk in the Light

Faith comes by doing not by seeing!

From the book of Light And Wisdom
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2006, 18:02:23 »

No, it hasn't. Not until I have written up the basics and the individual priests. Sorry, you can't play somebody who isn't described yet - you would not know, what you have to do, can't play that person, right?

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2006, 18:27:04 »

Agudo: my question had nothing to do with playing a character, merely with the description of my masterwork.

Talia: the picture I have in mind clearly shows red robes. Could there be a reason why he would wear red robes rather than purple, if he was a cleric of nehtor?

Irid al'Menie
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2006, 18:35:25 »

You need a good reason for him to do so.  I can't picture a priest of healing with red robes, for that is an aggressive colour and not a soothing one. But if red is in your head, than it has to be red. I don'tkow anything about your person's entry to do any proposals why he needs to have red robes and not purple ones. So be inventive! (and convince me, lol)

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2006, 05:31:46 »

Irid, with Talia's long awaited entry for clerics coming, maybe there are specific rituals that require this sort of regalia. Possibly a badge of station, or a set of field colors for traveling clerics. The road is a hard place to wear white, especially in the tending of the wounded and sick. The word that rings clearly in my mind with this discussion is "subsect". Just my 2 sans
« Last Edit: 16 December 2006, 05:33:48 by Twen Araerwen » Logged

Agudo and Hoot

Agudo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2006, 13:12:02 »

Talia Sturmwind
No, it hasn't. Not until I have written up the basics and the individual priests.
 Sorry, you can't play somebody who isn't described yet -
you would not know, what you have to do, can't play that person, right

Ahh thank you
Perhaps I can find something for my char to do until then
Never the less, your most kind to answer my question

Irid alMenie
Agudo: my question had nothing to do with playing a character, merely with the description of my masterwork

Yes of course, and I am sure a wonderfule work it will be
My apologies if I have thrown off your subject
Carry on and cheers
« Last Edit: 16 December 2006, 13:24:14 by Agudo and Hoot » Logged

To see one must walk in the Light

Faith comes by doing not by seeing!

From the book of Light And Wisdom
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2006, 00:01:04 »

No worries, Agudo. I just thought I'd make it clear, but you have every right to ask a valid question :)

Talia and Twen: thank you for your answer! I will try to think up a good and convincing reason, once I'm back in Belgium.

Irid al'Menie
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2007, 22:03:44 »

...obligated was that priest were no longer able to have legal children (which meant the church inherited the priests possessions)...

Yes, the funny thing is that during medieval and Rennaissance times none thought about celibacy acutally meaning "no children". It just meant "no legal children". Best example would be the 15th century where four popes all were sons of their precedessor, thus for a while there was a dynastic succession for the highest catholic position and none complained about it.

I guess the harsher rules/interpretation came with the reformation and counterreformation
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2007, 04:18:49 »

I think a very convincing reason for a healer to wear red robes is that blood stains are impossible to wash out of white with medieval technology... 

Unfortunately our postmodern associations of white with hospital sterility and antiseptic bathrooms are very powerful;  we prefer to picture healers in shining spotlessness!  But a short rust-red tunic, or dark red robes, if you prefer, would be much more practical for someone in battlefield or hospice conditions - between mud, vomit, fecal material, and of course blood, a fabric that doesn't show every spot and resulting stain would be much more practical and reassuring...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]