Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Color Shaded Map of Lands showing Races?  (Read 4181 times)
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 05 December 2006, 15:09:01 »

Ok i have been here a few days, and read several hundred entries so far. I know thats not much, but its easy to get lost in the place names for a newbie like myself. The continents i can understand as we have some great maps. However when you start talking ogres here, orcs there, and elves in many places, it is hard to understand their range.

Can someone with a really good overview of the races append a world map of the known lands that is color coded/marked in some way showing the regions where the various races are found? And i'm only talking about the anthropomorphic ones, not the dragons and animal life.

In this way i think it would help us all understand what races are native to which continents.

If there is such a resource, could you just put the link here in reply??

thanks

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2006, 15:53:25 »

Well, there is ar least one map (though it's not a very good one) at the Northern Sarvonian entry. Move your mouse over the main map there to see how the tribes (including the orcs) are spread there.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2006, 18:11:49 »

Wowness. I didn't know that. It seems that the map doesn't work in FF. That would have saved me some time trying to figure out where each orc tribe lived if I'd known that :)

Are there many other maps like that?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2006, 18:17:10 »

No, no other such maps available as far as I know.

The effect BTW is used more often on the site though and is a normal script that should be compatible with the majority of browsers. Such transparency effects can also be seen on the top left banner or the books to the right. The site in general is optimized for Internet Explorer, but should be compatible with most.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2006, 18:25:27 »

Well, I already knew about those ones. They don't work either in FF though.
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2006, 15:08:52 »

yes excellent!!

now, the key the lettering is written in such a way as to not be legible but still thats what i'm talking about.

Could you make such an overlay for the whole Caelereth world map?? It would be very helpful.

if and when you do, please message me the url to it (however many weeks down the road that is..)

also this is a side note, the family trees of the races and tribes, i'm sure someone has them cause i have seen parts of them, what is the generic url for that? i know in my own worldbuilding i have six pages of family trees, they help you understand the propogation of the city foundings etc.. why i'm mentioning it here is because it coudl serve as a tool for waypoints to show the expansion of the races throughout the various continents after The Sundering (yes, i have been reading some)

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2006, 16:11:14 »

Could you make such an overlay for the whole Caelereth world map?? It would be very helpful.

Landre, Artimidor is actually working, earning money in a real life job and runs the Dream in his pasttime! Do you know, how long it takes to do a map? The Manthria map took over a year, because it takes a lot of time you need to finish such things. And he has to do other stuff as well, not just map making. it is not so, that we didn't have the idea before. The next what he will do is probably expanding the Manthria map to the west (??).

BTW, this topic should have gone in Places and mapdesign ;)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2006, 16:54:25 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2006, 20:19:43 »

There are no such "family trees of the races and tribes" existing on the site, Landre, as there exist only rough drafts on the genealogy of the tribes (in form of development maps, not intended to go up on the site in this rough format). You can find those here.

We're also in the process of completely re-organzing the history pages, and parts of what you see in these maps will be described in the new history tables.

The only existing "Caelereth map" is also just a draft and in no way accurate, as Koldar made his Nybelmar map in a completely different way and I cannot easily match these maps. I focus therefore on Sarvonia regarding further map elaboration, as this is the central and most developed area, and here the maps match and I "only" need to refine them further. However, as Talia already stated: My time is limited, and progress here therefore will be slow.

Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2006, 03:29:41 »

Cool. Ok. I see what you are saying. As the world i made some years ago was based on family trees, that then helped me make the maps, i thought perhaps this place had followed the same track. Now i'm beginning to think you folk started with stories and then made the place names and then made the family trees and that is why you are having such a tough time with the timelines?? Cause you have no absolute waypoints in the lived lives of the inhabitants to anchor them into your timeline.

Let me look around for a few months, and i'll make my own family trees notes for you if you would like, and then if they are helpful you can use them?

I understand Artimidor is horribly busy, i just see the big picture in everything, and so big picture things like maps and using them as a tool to refine other substructures is my general approach to world building.

I made a series of maps again years ago (they span i think maybe 12-14 pages i forget) so map making is a fun thing, that is a mnemonic device for me in future story tellings. But if you dont have the maps first, and have to back track it could be an incredibly tedious job for one or two people.  So i understand what you are saying. It would be sort of like me going back into the 300+ pages of notes of the Hegelian wars and trying to figure out the timeline of one minute bit character and correlate him with a major character who is not plotline related to him. Tedious at best, impossible at worst. Luckily for me i made an index and gazateer of place names, that i use to hone in on thjings. This is compareable to your Compedium, but as your Compedium is written by many people, one person does not have a mnemonic path back to the iitem being looked for.

Ok, i'll quit pestering you about maps. If we ever ever get a new computer, maybe it will have some sort paint thing on it, and i can help folk make maps etc?? Who knows, dont even know if we will get  anew computer. Thats something another family member handles not me. I'm not technical. Just lyrical. Hee hee.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2006, 05:14:57 »

If we ever ever get a new computer, maybe it will have some sort paint thing on it

Paint! Photoshop CS2 (which retails at over $200) might be more appropiate!!!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2006, 06:25:13 »

Why pay 200 dollars if you can have it for free with gimp or for about 60€? Software similar to photoshop (some say better - I have no idea): photoline32

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2006, 10:24:22 »

noted. i will have no control though over what they put on the computer. i just use it for games, and studying various things like interesting Styrash websites ...  thumbup

actually it will be good to get a new one cause i cant buy any computer games these days cause this thing is like three years old. anyway this one has to break completely down first, and who knows when that will be??

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2006, 12:57:38 »

I just downloaded ArtRage 2, the free version, and it has cool tools too.  So now I have a spectrum of paint software ranging from Adobe Elements (which was bundled with my Wacom tablet that my sister got me for a present!) through Adobe Illustrator, PhotoImpression, GIMP, Corel Painter, Print Artist, ArtRage, and yes, Decipher, the despised Paint, which I actually do use for some applications because it just works so simply and efficiently...   Not to mention Avimator and Daz which are used to create 3-D models and poses, but which are more animation than artistic tools.

Try ArtRage for fun, Talia!  The brushes are so cool... here's a little half-started sketch of Katherine I was doing in the program, just to show you...

« Last Edit: 07 December 2006, 13:02:07 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2006, 18:11:58 »

Looks very interesting, Judy! Maybe I give it a try during the Christmas holidays. If you are using so many different tools, doesn't it confuse you after a while, or more important - are you mastering all?
I think I don't know half of the features pl32 has, I suppose less, I have the Corel classic which came with the tablet  and it still doesn't do what I want it to do, I looked at GIMP. I just would need more time to learn all about those two or three programs to be quick and efficient. (And I have to tidy up my comp, for now it is so full it doesn't want to run a simple application..)
And our masters like Faugar and Eratin only use Corel.. that gives me to think..

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2006, 01:04:19 »

Actually, I use PhotoImpression for almost everything.  It is possible to have toooooo many features in a program, after all! 

I find that almost all of the programs have a similar interface - their differences mostly lie in the level of complexity.  How each individual tool responds is of course different, just as working with a large watercolour wash brush is different from using a fine oil flogger, or a stick of charcoal from a stick of conte or pastel... but that takes only adapting the hand and eye.    Eventually everyone will find their own preferred tools, whether real or digital, sophisticated or simple.

Having said that, to get back to topic...

Artimidor, what program do you use to create the standard greyscale maps?  I believe I've asked this before, because the ripple texture you use round coastlines is a specialized effect which I can't reproduce.  The transparency overlay is possible with any program that offers layers/alpha channels, so I could probably do the Duchies map (which has been waiting around forever) once things settle down (that would be back in Korea...) just by using your Manthrian province map and doing the appropriate colours and the correct font.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]