Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Minerals/ores of Nybelmar list, where is it?  (Read 3467 times)
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 07 December 2006, 13:55:02 »

Ok one of the things i find very helpful in map making is to study the geology of a land, and then figure out the minerals, and natural resources that various parts of it are known for.

Now i searched for minerals Nybelmar and i got tons of Nybelmar hits, but only folk talking about that they could make posts about the minerals of Nybelmar.

If we were to list the major areas of Nybelmar, could someone fill in the blank for the type of rocks/minerals in those regions? Why its important is the tribes or races that are in the various regions would have access to those minerals ores and then we can work them into trading routes, and part of the dressing styles of the peoples and what not.

I have heard that some of the devs for Nybelmar have specific ideas for this continent that are not yet in print. so if you could post in this thread the minerals/ores associated with the various regions that would be very helpful.

Now i will start from what little i know Zhunite lands have reddish sand in them. I know its not much, lol. I think what would be even better is if we had a gazateer list of all entries for places and regions of Nybelmar and we could work back. Who has that list or where is that list?

If there isnt a list i could work on creating one by doing exhaustive searches on every Nybelmar entry if you would like me to. That would allow me to learn more about Nybelmar. I would post my results in a table in this thread, but before i go to all that work, i was wondering if anyone has already done this?

I had some big battles today in travian so i couldnt start on it, but i hope to start tomorrow. It won't be an entry, as it is just a tool to use as a guide for future development of Nybelmar etc. Though i dont think it really fits in the Flora and Fauna section.

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2006, 15:58:31 »

ok this is what i got so far. Basically i'm gonna approach it in two steps. (1) i make a gazateer of every occurence of every place name in Nybelmar as listed in the Compedium entries. This will give me definite location and context (2) i will list any known references to the sort of trade material/ore/mineral that town/place is known for as well as the race.

so far, i just did this short list from the Nybelmar Compedium entry and the Nybelmar map, this is not definitive and may have mutiple entries for the same place (cause of different contexts) .

again this is just a table of notes, and i make it in Excel so i can alphabatize it later. ;p use it or not, doesnt matter to me, i'm doing it for my own benefit so i can understand the landscape of Nybelmar better (and of course it wont paste well into this posting box, but you'll get the idea)

PLACE NAME   excerpt
Nybelmar   
Nybelmar   southwestern most continent in Caelereth
Caelereth   the known world
Cape of Strata    east of the continet of Nybelmar on Sarvonia continent, reference point
Lands of the Mystical West   another name for Nybelmar
The Foggy Realms   another name for Nybelmar
Aetryam Sea   water body between Nybelmar and Sarvonia
Weman Archipelago   string of islands south of Nybelmar stretching in northeastern arc
Zsharkanian Peaks   huge mountain range splits Nybelmar nearly in two
Ferrath Islands   rocky islands halfway between Nybelmar and Sarvonia
Aeruillin   continent north of Nyblemar
R'unor Islands   islands that lie between Nybelmar and Akdor
central Nybelmar   
western Nybelmar   
Ashlands   home of the chyraskiss, half orc and half elf
Zshararath Mountains   home of the chyrakiss, and areas west of Zshararath Mountains
Ashlands   former home of the Deep Dwarves
Fullwanooth   once home of the Dwarves
Zshararath Mountains   once home of the Deep Dwarves
dwarven clans in the east of Nybelmar   little is known
Pallaion   plain, steppe
Moredein   fertile plain, grasslands
Oberion   Hillands
Dolion   mountain range
Fauthuin   swamp
Palantith   big city/fortififed city
Tyrian Faerath   home of the High Dwarves
Nybelmargerim   all the dwarves of Nybelmar
Balkerim   the Plainsdwarves
Berkerim   the Hilldwarves
Jargerim   the Deepdwarves, those that survived the War of the Chosen became Plainsdwarves
ThergerimTaal   the Dwarven Language
Maren Barkath   sea east of Nybelmar
Maren Amuneth   sea southeast of Nybelmar
Aca-Santerra   eastern Nybelmar including islands stretching into Maren Barkath
Anis-Anpagan   southeastern peninsula of Nybelmar bordering Maren Amuneth
The Empire of Korweyn   southeastern Nybelmar, the Great Empire of the Sun
The Great Empire of the Sun   southeastern Nybelmar, the Empire of Korweyn
Gaeldorioth   north of  The Empire of Korweyn and east of Aca-Santerra
Crystalwoods   west of Gaeldorioth and norht of the Empire of Korweyn, home of the nightelves
Loreney   northern peninsula of Nybelmar bordering Maren Nybleth
Maren Nybleth   sea north of Nybelmar
Marein Mermarien   west of Maren Nybleth
Orcal   gorge area west of the mountains beyond Cities of Zhun
Maren Zhuin   sea south of Nybelmar south of Cities of Zhun
Fallaenion Gaeldorioth   oldest and wisest Elven nation in the world
Our Sacread Homelands   another name for the kingdom of Aca-Santerra
Cusca   city state of the Cities of Zhun
Kimbar   city state of the Cities of Zhun
Hostar   city state of the Cities of Zhun
Marmarra   city state of the Cities of Zhun
Affaenath Woods   literally Autumn Forest, ancient Elven land of Nybelmar before War of the Chosen
Fallaerion Affaenath   another name for Autumn Forest, ancient Elven land of Nybelmar before War of the Chosen
Autum Forest   Fallaerion Affaenath, home of the Hilldwarves
Uiyujappath River   area of Orcal, home of the Black Orcs
Orcal   region around Uiyujappath River, region of the Black Orcs
Gaeldorioth Forest   home of the Kairhim, elves who hold the traditions since the War of the Chosen
Affaenath Forest   home of the Pheranrhim, elves who later founded Fullwanooth
Pallaeion Ullinoth   home of Aelonrhim elves, often called the "Lost", most traditions lost after War of the Chosen
   the Fire-elves predecessor of the Nightelves, leaders of a dark Elven cult
Korweyn   the Hill-elves became a vital part in Korweyn Empire
Soho Mountains   in the region of Gelm, ancestral home of Korweynites
Gelm   where the Sohol Mountains are located, ancestral home of Korweynites
the moon hills   area where the Murmillions live
the Sickle   another name for Ehebion, home of the Murmillions, a human tribe
Ehebion   the Sickle, home of the Murmillions, a human tribe
southern coasts of Nybelmar   home of the Esgathites, a human tribe
eastern part of Nybelmar   home of the kassites, a human tribe
Kavogerim   another name for Plainsdwarves
Omovian Taelath   home of the Hilldwarves

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2006, 16:20:06 »

All of the minerals that have entries are listed in the misellaneous menu bag icon under resources

The places menu is  already sorted by continent I see you've started looking thru the people entries for location you could also look thru relevant flora and fona entriese many are listed in this thread

As for the petrology of Nybelmar while i'm very interested in your thoughts on this matter I dont know that we shoud define the territory of any mineral to specificly becuase we are limiting our future development and unlike flora and fona most minerals that people use are found world wide some of the rare one used would be massed together in large groups their are for example dozens of mineral some extremely rare which contain both gold and silver all of these would have been called electrum.

As for figure out the geology of Nybelmar I would place the causes of the current geology in three different catogories. I'll take your red sand as ane example:

1 Probable earth explinations such as iron in the sand.

2 Improbable earth explinations such as ruby sand

3 non earth explinations such as a powerfull mage liked red  grin

I would avoid using the third category unless you find something in an entry that relates to the geology.
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2006, 02:34:23 »

Also, the Places list would be a bit futile, as we are creating new places all the time.. ( i myself have created 4, and that's only for the Drifting woods... who knows what will be written when the Kaerathi plains are described? Or the Krean cities? Or the Orc nations?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2006, 02:45:35 »

Why its important is the tribes or races that are in the various regions would have access to those minerals ores and then we can work them into trading routes, and part of the dressing styles of the peoples and what not.

Exactly what I have been going on about for some time now - we need to get the trading routes sorted. However the problem is: Nybelmar is still very sketchy in certain areas - not only do we not have any idea who might be living there, we don't know much about the landscape/geographic resources.

We have decided not to compile a general overview for the whole continent for now. We start working region by region: So far in the West we have only dipped into the southwestern peninsula, Zhun, Northeastern peninsula (mira), Orcal and the Vaenath (Lucius- now away).

I wanted to do something similar for Zhun and Judith hinted she might be able to help out with idea generation at a later date but that project had to be postponed owing to a lack of competent map-drawers (Artimidor only does Sarvonia).

I have tried to hint at the available resources in the relevant section of all my place entries. Development for the rest will commence only when we get the timeline out of the way (current priority - I am very guilty for its lagging behind)

- Where did you get the reddish sand reference for Zhun?

- PS: Decipher's supposed to be collecting the flora and fauna references if memory serves. I would not have a problem with your cross-referencing Nybelmar entries to come up with a list of described resources. :)  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2006, 04:00:37 »

actually thats the point. As we are creating new places all the time, if we had a stickied thread at the top of the Nybelmar forum we could refer back to it to make sure we dont contradict ourselves, or see if there are contradictions.

the table would be used as a tool to help in further developments, but it would not be a "definitive entry" just a tool, to be honed and corrected as time goes through until we get something better??

As far as the red sands, i think i saw a reference to that in the story about the Kingdom of the Sun but that is Korweyn, so see i probably made an error lol as cities of Zhun are not Korweyn.

anyway as you know the ground is many different colors, if we can get a generic idea of soil color throughout the continent (think deep dark loamy fields or europe, or the reddish stone of the American Rockies) then that would give hints to the flora and fauna department.

for now i'm just gonna go through every Nybelmar entry there is and write down all place names and a snippet of the context, and any known races if mentioned associatd with the place. if i am lucky i can finish in a few weeks, if holidays get me it may take longer, but it will help me learn the bits of lore associated with Nybelmar.

Since in a way Nyblemar has had "three lives"-- once after the Sundering, once after War of the Chosen, and once after The Year of Darkness, what we have a multiple layers of place names for spots that might in some instances overlap and be the exact same region as far as i understand it.

i think what we will find is that alot of the stories overlap over and over in the same known regions and that we really have very little reference to the vast tracts of the unknown parts of Nybelmar.

Also in the table if it is known i'm putting the quadrant they are associated in, so we can refer back to Koldar's map.

Last night i printed out all four maps, and i'm gonna cut and paste them together and use it as a mineral guide as i go along. unfortunately alot of the beautiful script of koldar's on his map is not clear in the original or when i blow it up through the lexmark, so i would need help on that map. does anyone know if their is appended list of the key to koldar's map?? one that is in text and not artistic writing??

so thats my Nybelmar project i'd like to work on for a while if that is ok with everyone? after i finish it, only then would i feel comfortable even attempting to research anything for an entry.

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2006, 05:17:38 »

It would be appreciated if you would create such a list, and i'm sure it will be added to the sticky topics. but to the minerals; many 'special' ores and minerals are developd along with the rest of the area... you can get the info you need from the 'resources' section of each places entry.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2006, 07:32:09 »

good point there Miraran

i'll work on getting the place name list, and then i'll go back and look for the mineral entries, really i think this sort of list could take a long time ;p . it should be fun. the big thing is to get most of the place names and the contexts, and you are right, i once wrote a story about a war between a mages school and the Miners of Zanyk, and the magical ore that they mined was called prime iresmidium... so really magical stones and ores is the whole point of alot of stories. i hope our list of minerals has alot of blank spots n the minerals entries so we can fill them in some day??

anyway i'm caught up on everthing else now, so i'm gonna get back to the Compedium.

i have solved my split screen problem. Artimidor gave me an url to this single frame view for the forum and then i use a parallel window to get the compedium interface. it seems to be working out very well.

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2006, 08:57:18 »

wow, I really like this idea, I'd say go for it, as long as you realize that this is going to be a work in progress for quite a while...

As for the places list, yes, Mira is right. You also have some things confused there (for instance, Aeruillin is south-east, Zharkanion/Zharkanian/Zhararath are all one and the same thing, just differently spelled in various times and by various nations, etc). Do try to work with Koldar's maps of Nybelmar, they are supposedly in Aca-Santerran language, which means that a lot of those names need "translation."
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2006, 09:21:56 »

yeah my problem is i cant read all the words in Koldar's map, i have blown them up through the lexmark and i still cant read them.

ultimately it would be great to have  a QUadrant location to every place/person on the list, but thats not something i'm gonna sweat for now. all i'm looking for is to mak ethe list and then we can all fill it in, and correct anything etc.. that may be context conflicted

anyway didnt get to work on it much today, but i'm up around 300 entries and i'm only to the 8th article about Nybelmar junk ;p

hopefully can do some more tonight.

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2006, 17:01:34 »

you know there's a sticky in the Nybelmar forum with a list of translations...
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2006, 04:42:45 »

yeah i got the one listing the equivalents for the topography.

but i'm going through the compedium first all the occurrences of Nybelmar, and then i'm coming back to all the forum entries. i just got to the tenth one last night, the one about the dwarves, it will take a long long time, if you want to see partially finished list just tell me, and we figure out a way to upload the excel spread sheet. i just checked and it did email to myself and was accessible (as we are gonna get a new computer and i ahve no way to copy the table as the disc drives are broken on our computer).

i'm just doing this for my benefit, i'm sure other peopole have made some lists too. its just a helpful cheat sheet, when making worlds i always use a gazateer of places and races.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]