Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Crazy Idea!  (Read 3405 times)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 15 December 2006, 04:56:10 »

I got this crazy idea so because it is so crazy I have to tell it to you, fellow developers, before I start to work on this crazy idea. So here it comes:

I was thinking since some terms that we use in the real world are inappropriate for Caelereth (like biology, mathematics and other) we can make a suitable substitute for those terms b.t.w. expanding them to even higher Santharian level.

So, what do you think?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2006, 06:06:57 »

Well, the problem is that it is difficult to generalize replacement words - often it has to be decided from case to case what might really be appropriate, or whole sentences have to be rewritten in order to explain what nowadays someone would put under a term like "genetics". Not that easy to do.

But we could try at least to put together basic stuff, and guidelines. Maybe there even is a site out there that deals with such stuff? - I'm sure there must be.

BTW: What's with the progress on your Nolan entry, Arceon? *pokes*
« Last Edit: 15 December 2006, 06:12:09 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2006, 06:09:29 »

Math already has a word: Arithmetic

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2006, 08:36:44 »

And a caveat:  if there isn't a medieval concept, there won't be a medieval word.  So if there is not a Caelerethian concept, there won't be a Caelerethian word for it.

If the idea of 'classifying' animals in a taxonomy exists, we can certainly call it 'taxonomy', or 'biology' - OR we can come up with a Tharian word which has echoes of both Styrash and Latin which we can use in its place - say, "Thathrogonomy" or "Thatrogology"!

(from 'throg' - animal - and 'thamán' - to order, plus a latinate ending to make it easily memorable.  Any styrash-speakers out there who can do this better?)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2006, 09:22:31 »

:Hears the call of the Bard and breezes into the room:

I rather like ''Thathrogonomy'' and ''Thatrogology'', to tell the truth.  They sound just scholarly enough to be credible, yet somehow from a different world altogether.

Anyways, some other possibilities could be:

Selthrogonomy, Thelionomy (<< I like that one as well) = both shortened from selián throgían, which means 'to call the beasts.'

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2006, 21:02:36 »

If i look at the entries in the bestiary there is absolutely no indication that a classification is really made. Only in the Compendium is there some classification, but not deep enough to call it taxonomy.

Maybe there could be made an entry on a famous scholar who tries to start something like that? :)

War doesn't determine who's right. Just who's left
Site wide search, Measures(Converter)
Development: Introduction
Want to roleplay?: RPG Forum, Character creation, FAQ, Restrictions
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2006, 22:04:01 »

Perhaps it is even a verry recent attempt at creating a system, invented by the Compendium scolars..

*blinks* Waitaminute... Terran taxonomy is based on evolutionary relations. On Caelereth, animals did not evolve, but were created as they are right now....

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2006, 22:07:23 »

which does not mean that there is no classification attempt, it just means it's not based on evolution but on i.e. physical characteristics :)

War doesn't determine who's right. Just who's left
Site wide search, Measures(Converter)
Development: Introduction
Want to roleplay?: RPG Forum, Character creation, FAQ, Restrictions
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2006, 22:16:29 »

*nods* People were classifying animals before Darwin. The evolution theory just changed the starting point of the classifications (no longer based on physical traits, but on what ancestors something has, which generally are linked closely together anyway).
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2006, 22:25:45 »

of course.. just thought i'd mention it again for the newer people.. ( it took me four months to learn there was no evolution :P)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2006, 04:20:43 »

There isn't necessarily 'no evolution'.  We're just not supposed to confirm or deny it, IIRC. 

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2006, 05:26:00 »

BTW: What's with the progress on your Nolan entry, Arceon? *pokes*

Yes...hm...well... look a Moonmouth is behind you!!! *runs away to the People forum while Artimidor is looking for the worm*

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2006, 06:41:40 »

(from 'throg' - animal - and 'thamán' - to order, plus a latine ending to make it easily memorable.  Any styrash-speakers out there who can do this better?)

Anyone will actually remember that word??? I find quiet hard to spell correctly IRL words, coming with words that mix up Styrash and Latin will break my spell checker...

I think we already have a Taxonomic system, just we haven't placed it inside the entries (for all the gods, we can't go just putting all the wolves, foxes, coyotes, etc... Canidae or Canis Lupus or Canis Canis or whatever is the scientific name)

We can say someone has attempted to start a classification, yet it hasn't been standardised. (wow weird word to add in my dics, standardised... why the d before the i? I tought in evolution of words the d changed to t...)

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2006, 07:10:20 »

not if the original word MUST end with a D... (standard) -ised is just a fixed ending.

Avrah Kehabhra

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2006, 09:14:23 »

Hooo, thanks you now I have a new grammar rule that school didn't taught me. grin

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]