Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Areas of Interest (isn't that nicer than 'Sign-up List'?  (Read 11577 times)
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 21 December 2006, 10:07:29 »

Judy - Fruits & Vegetables (I finally narrowed it down!)

Orril - Minerals

Niccoli - Misc: including but not limited to -

Gameboards and pieces
Instruments
Farm equipment
Tools

(That's a lot, so I'll probably help out with the Instruments List, Niccoli, ok?)

Talia - Shendar tradegoods

Arceon & Drasil - Weapons & Armour

Mira - Lumber

Free for the taking yet:

Furniture / Treenware (wooden household objects) / Tools & Cutlery / Ceramics / Fabrics & Rugs / Clothing / Chemicals / Medicines & Apothecary's Wares / Dyes,  Pigments & Glues / and much more...

« Last Edit: 30 December 2006, 11:34:23 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Wanderer

Gained Aura: 0

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2006, 16:25:37 »

I'll start on some foodstuffs, but i'd like to know how deep we're going to take this. Look at i.e. a cow. you pay a price for a healthy animal, but what about an ill animal? or a young / old animal? male /female? Do you have prized animals? (cow contests and the likes) :)
Not to mention that cows coming from a farm known to produce good milk get a better price than from a poorly producing farm
« Last Edit: 21 December 2006, 16:28:11 by Wanderer » Logged

War doesn't determine who's right. Just who's left
Site wide search, Measures(Converter)
Development: Introduction
Want to roleplay?: RPG Forum, Character creation, FAQ, Restrictions
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2006, 19:20:07 »

There is surely a difference between a young cow which had just one calf and an old one, between banegs and rimmilchs...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2006, 22:31:55 »

Talia - absolutely!  I just posted my realization about this to the other thread and will repeat it here:

"Well, I think we'd better make a decision about WHERE the valuation takes place.

This is really a good point - do we list:

one sack of mined but unprocessed silver ore - X Silverbards
one ingot of refined silver - X Silverbards
one silver necklace weighing Y - X Silverbards

?  Or just leave it at defining the ingot's market price and let people try to figure out the rest by extrapolation as they might need it?

In other words, do we need to examine every resource we have from starting point to finished product?

I guess I was oversimplifying; my original concept was based upon a 'market-ready product', if that makes sense.  What would you expect to pay for a Thurgo-whatsit-ingy in the stalls of New Santhala's Street Market, in other words?

Obviously we need both prices for a sack of Golden Rain grain AND for a loaf of Golden Rain bread.  We also need prices for a live cow and a slaughtered side of beef..." 

(starts tearing out her hair and chewing on the end of her quill)

And now, of course, as you've pointed out, the different prices for the different cows.  But that's why this is a TEAM PROJECT!  (whew...)

Wanderer, do you want to do specifically animal and animal origin foodstuffs, please?  And I'll list vegetable / vegetable origins (thus grain -> bread).

I wouldn't go right down to the difference between farms.  After all, that sort of fine detail is what drives an economy - free-market capitalism.  If you produce a better product for its size, weight, and availability, yes, you'll be able to charge more for it, but you may sell less of it.    I'd avoid listing specific producers unless there is a known monopoly or a unique origin ("Shendarsilk", "Krean Perfume", "South Burrow Hobbitleaf", etc.)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2006, 22:52:30 »

Sure, animals sounds good to start with (and a lot easier, i looked at the process of making mead...eeewwww!!) :)

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2006, 22:57:43 »

I'd avoid listing specific producers unless there is a known monopoly or a unique origin ("Shendarsilk", "Krean Perfume", "South Burrow Hobbitleaf", etc.)

You mean rare/imported goods? I could help with a majority of the Nybelmarian ones since I've made a fair few myself (though might be sidetracked as I'm drafting my masterwork  grin)

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2006, 23:06:47 »

Stupid question: Should we really try to determine prices at a certain location (New-Santhala)? Or shouldn't we try to set up an average standard price for items in Santharia, from which local prices vary depending on the circumstances?

As we know that local prices vary considerably for lots of reasons. And determining the prices of all kinds of cows in various states of adulthood and at lots of different locations isn't really recommendable. We'd soon get lost in details and comparisons etc. Wouldn't it be much easier to set a price for a cow (after having found out what a san is really worth) and then say: In Strata it costs the double price, and in Nyermersys it's way cheaper?

Guess our priority should be to make things simple and not to make a thesis out of it.  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2006, 23:25:07 »

Thesis doesn't sound too bad. Maybe someone's masterwork :P
But just using 1 "medium" price would simplify things a bit, and leaving old / young / male /female out of the equation too.
Just 1 medium price for 1 medium specimen :)
I do think though that the price counts for a quantity. Especially for ores, minerals, grains and such: a price for 1 sack of grain, which contains enough grain to bake 50 breads.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2006, 00:06:50 »

Art:

Stupid question: Should we really try to determine prices at a certain location (New-Santhala)?

Yes, I think that is the only way which makes sense, for it is just very unrealistic to have the same price everywhere.
A pearl in Ciosa will be much cheaper than in New Santhala.
However, to not complicate the things too much and have too many items, we could just say:

A pearl in new Santhala costs  100 coppers  - from there we (everbody who needs it) can deduce for ourselves, that it will cost much less in Ciosa and much more in Nyermersys.

For more processed items we just can add: A simple necklace out of 100 pearls will cost 100x100 coppers + the wage the goldsmith gets, say 100 coppers for an hour work. (which has to be defined), then one pearlnecklace is worth 10100 coppers.

Numbers are here of course arbitrary chosen.

The same with the cows: Set the price for a young fertile Rimmilch cow and deduce from that, what the others might cost, but don't say, just "cow".

Once the basics are established, prizes for a few major towns  or a typical village can be added any time.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2006, 00:09:13 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2006, 06:19:44 »

So - for all products listed, pick a good quality AVERAGE product - provide a minimal description including amount/weight/size - and provide an AVERAGE price for the centre of the kingdom - not a price range, and not the source price...

Is that a consensus, or do we debate this a bit further?

Here's how that suggestion would look in practice (sample prices only):

PEARL: one single medium unflawed white pearl, 3 grains circumference - 100 coppers
COW:  one 2-year old Rimmilch milch cow, unbred - 2 silverbards 50 coppers
COW:  one 2-year old beef cow, 50 hebs, unbred - 2 silverbards 10 coppers

etc. etc.

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2006, 06:20:39 »

Stuff that really does not fit into other catagories, bet it unusual or mundane. Gameboards, yes, whetstones (unless that comes under weapons) medicines etc. Though I'd like to deal with some of the unusual stuff.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2006, 15:29:15 »

That sounds good to me Talia and Judith. This at least keeps it doable :)

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2006, 19:47:35 »

I would like to do weapons (unless someone already applied for weapons). If I will be allowed to do them I would include this factors:

Materials- price, rarity, transport
Smiting- is it hard to be made, smiting fee
Rarity of the weapon in certain parts of Caelereth

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2006, 20:40:12 »

I'd like to do wood. Various species, in various forms (beams, boards, unworked logs).

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2006, 23:26:01 »

Arceon - no one has yet applied, so feel free!  You realize, of course, that you are collating all the existing weaponry, not inventing new ones... ;)  AND you only get one line per weapon, so don't overdo the amount of info, ok?  Don't bother with rarity, as we can figure that out for ourselves if you include origin.  Could look like this:

SWORD:  two-handed, dwarven-forged steel laminate, Kurakim tribe  - 9 silverbards
SWORD:  bastard, Santhalan human-smithed iron, - 5 silverbards
etc. etc.

Mira:  Wood?  Do you mean specifically lumber?  Fine with me - although treenware (that is, common household items made of wood) and furniture would be a different category.  You should probably include a couple of kinds of veneer and 'carved trim', though.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]