Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Technology time-line  (Read 4911 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« on: 10 January 2007, 03:04:22 »

Bard Judith suggested posting this here some time ago; I'd nearly forgotten about it. 

So, the idea is basically to create some sort of 'technology time-line' for South Sarvonia, determining how advanced things were at a each peroid of history.  There's been like 10, 000 years of civilisation on the continent, so there's definitely a lot of room for progress (and decline; continual progress over such a long time resulting only in a late medieval level of technology is quite unlikely). 

Similar timelines for other fields, such as magic and medicine, could perhaps be worked on as well. 
« Last Edit: 10 January 2007, 06:37:31 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2007, 06:39:05 »

Note: Made a new Forum called "Project Proposals" and moved this post in here, changing the title as well in order to reflect the proposal. Here a bunch of proposals can accumulate now providing an overview, and we can choose later what to pick next.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 07:07:31 »

Is there a discussion regarding the medicine timeline already underway?  If not, might this be an appropriate place to start one?

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2007, 10:56:02 »

No there isn't as far as I know clancy.
I just had a thought. With regards to someone's comment in the discussion about cannons. If we have the technology timeline, we might have to show regression to dark ages, and we may have to do it by area. Ximax for instance was besieged, stuff would have been lost, and people in the environs may have regressed slightly to a lesser degree of technology due to the lack of income from traficking in goods with ximax.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 11:24:33 »

Ximax for instance was besieged, stuff would have been lost, and people in the environs may have regressed slightly to a lesser degree of technology due to the lack of income from traficking in goods with ximax.
Ximax was besieged?  Oh, my golly gosh, I have so much reading to do.  I think I should learn a lot more about the cultural milieu of Ximax and the existing history of Santhria before starting this one.  Still, it would be fun to hash out! grin

--Master Yoda
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2007, 11:47:03 »

A question to think about, If santharia keeps advancing in technology, won't we get out of the Medieaval period?

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2007, 14:45:44 »

If we have the technology timeline, we might have to show regression to dark ages, and we may have to do it by area. Ximax for instance was besieged, stuff would have been lost, and people in the environs may have regressed slightly to a lesser degree of technology due to the lack of income from traficking in goods with ximax.
Well, I did suggest that there'd be periods of decline too; the history of civilisation in South Savonia (and indeed most of Caelereth) spans too long a time for the level of technology to still be medieval if technology if there had been no periods of decline. 

Doing it by area doesn't always work.  There is too much interaction between the cultures of South Sarvonia for one area to fall too far behind.  Ximax isn't a very good example either; it's influence wasn't merely regional, but pretty much extends to the whole continent, though during that time its position might not have been as dominant as it is now.  Also, this influence didn't have much to do with technology, but with magical knowledge.  The fall of Ximax probably resulted in the loss of a great deal of magical knowledge, which would likely have been recovered only long after the it's re-founding, or perhaps not at all. 

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2007, 01:27:12 »

Mina, your point about intercontinental exchange of technological knowledge is well-taken.  Nonetheless, Niccoli may still have a good argument about local regressions in the state of medicine for a period of time following each setback.
  As well, at least in the Terran setting, local practice of medicine varies from one country, one state, even from one city to the next.  Would Santhria necessarily be too different?

And, *totally* off topic, I really enjoyed your phonemic and orthographic tables; am I miscreditting you as having designed those?  If I'm not too mistaken about this, good job, Mina!  It taxed my brain (in a good way).

--Master Yoda
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2007, 03:39:42 »

Er, what tables?  The only ones I can think of was my attempt at coming up with an Erpheronian language (been meaning to get back to that, but I'm still not feeling particularly inspired).  I didn't come up with those; I think they're a pretty common format to present such information in. 

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2007, 03:47:19 »

Fair enough, but thanks for posting them notetheless.

--Master Yoda
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2007, 04:17:17 »

Note: Larger projects are meant to be treated one after the other, Clancy. You might suggest a new general project (ideally by making a new thread in this Proposal Forum). Once we're done with the current project I guess we could make a poll on what project from the existing ones we'll handle next.

Smaller projects could be handled by one person alone as well of course, in this case one can deal with it in the appropriate Forum.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2007, 08:39:30 »

Note: Larger projects are meant to be treated one after the other,...Smaller projects could be handled by one person alone as well of course, in this case one can deal with it in the appropriate Forum.

Okay, I've read a bit of the Santhrian history, still working on getting through it.  If it's not premature, I'd like to start a new thread, as you suggest, to form a skeleton of a timeline for the advancement of shamanism, evolving through mystical cures to herbal remedies, ending up somewhere around healing arts or medicine.  Sound alright?

--Master Yoda
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2007, 02:11:11 »

Actually Marvin started an entry about Shamans here so if you realy want to make that kind of time-line

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2007, 03:29:33 »

Normally the history is part of such an entry - better ask Marvin first.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]