Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Naming  (Read 7170 times)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2007, 02:28:07 »

After reading the Ciosa entry, I can add to the list of male names:

Jepp
Retthgar
Chyrán

Female names:
Irphanin Dyrondell
Katha Veirs

To the list of last names can be added:
Harooming

I'm afraid it will all be in such small quantities, at least until next sunday, when I go back home. Here I have only time enough to read one entry at the time. I apologize if I missed any. I seem to remember reading another male name, but I can't remember which one.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2007, 20:48:32 »

After reading Marcogg's entry, I can give a few female names.

Sherrine
Julya
Jessica Yrana Pengallan

male names are, again, more numerous

Herrgan Johl Swanhild
Righen Amarno
Merovin
Lerous Patilly
Halodin
Gerontious
Brunsavan
Rhano Roubins

Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2007, 21:12:29 »

More screenshots from midday work:

Tribe Definition
Syllables Maintenance
Name Generator Form

I'll start with adding Avennorians syllables based on what we have accumulated so far  then, Irid :)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2007, 21:19:49 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2007, 00:15:25 »

And here some examples of names I have approved and added to the database already:

Erpheronian Male Names
Ash
Calcor
Dagkoros
Dekem
Erachrin
Ermarmin
Eyimon
Kelirn
Kordalon
Kormin
Meach
Myraec
Oan
Olth
Raeolth
Sývel
Thaelem
Thaelmin
Triach
Vaeos

Erpheronian Females Names
Aelýa
Aescorael
Aesrýn
Amarena
Breissa
Býringar
Cathrena
Comindda
Corena
Dalýsa
Dassra
Erael
Erash
Eriga
Erýsa
Janossa
Kaetael
Merella
Merthea
Myrisgar
Rýn
Shaefra
Shaera
Trilin
Vanaeleen
Výona
Výsanýa
Wanrena

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2007, 04:57:17 »

ok, I am now reading in alphabetical order, therefore starting with Aesthran. Daimen Athsinth isn't avennorian, is he?

Male names

Paeter Wilibald
Arian Taveras
Arian Aesthran (same person)

I also checked Courtford, crazy woman pass and bitter creek, but there are no names there.

Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2007, 05:36:38 »

Some names to be added are in the Nepris character list. Daimen Athsinth is described as an Avennorian merchant, isn't it? Even though he is a more recent guy.

BTW: It will last a while until I will release an official version of the Name Generator. There are a bunch of things I come accross when testing. For example the Avennorians also need constructed second names, while the Erpheronians don't need that, but have their second name added according to their profession/heroic deed etc. This also means that I need to seperate Avennorian first name syllables and second names syllables, and that the second names don't necessarily need to be gender specific - though they could be here and there (with a -son or -daughter addition). And so on.

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2007, 20:14:51 »

OK, here are the names from Grunok's latest entry, Marduran. Since I commented on it, I thought I might as well add the names at the same time ;)

Male names:
Eyfi
Anir
Contrin Paerst

Female names:
Jaera Marduran
Katha Jovinth

Excuse me if there are names I already said in earlier posts. I don't remember all the names I found anymore, and any Swanhild (in this post Eyfi and Anir) might have been mentioned before...
I'll go read the Nepris Character list now ;)

Irid al'Menie
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2007, 20:21:34 »

I'm assuming that all the human characters will have Avennorian names?

Male:

Andulf Istherin
Terlano Anshar
HIERONIMUS KUPFDRUBUS (not sure if he is Avennorian)
Pinn Derkhan
Andrus Voltmer
Daelonn
Mannef
Lisu Ibbon
Tendrim Kahlof
Meghrin Istherin
Tikram Alvin
Calmann Narth

Female:

Dandra Mareen
Sansha Vandrell
Heina Narth
Mimi
Ilbeth Derkhan

That's it, in a nice little list *grins* Now I have to go eat, bye!

Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2007, 20:51:56 »

And here a first selection of some male first names of the Avennorians:

Aimen
Andrus
Anirdrim
Ano
Anvin
Calolf
Daigeir
Ekj
Eybavin
Eyfi
Eynils
Eyrous
Geir
Halokar
Herrtirig
Herrvin
Irfi
Irfivin
Jepprek
Johl
Johldulf
Lano
Lenilshen
Olf
Pinnano
Rignoidin
Rigramdrim
Tennils
Terlano
Ternef
Ternilsvin
Terramkar
Thorrig
Thyrdrus
Troibadrus
Troirek
Troirous

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2007, 09:51:36 »

Hmm... these seem to be pretty diverse in style for just the Avennorian tribe.  I was thinking about that, and thought I'd share my musings in case it would help.  People will probably have come up with this already though.

My thought was, if the name styles start to look too diverse for just the Avennorians and we want to make the rules tighter, we can still do this even if it seems to exclude some names we have already used for Avennorians.  Those exceptions to the rules we specify we can just say were influenced by Erpheronian, Serphelorian, Caltharian or Stratanian names (due to parents or grandparents or fashion if pre-Santhros, or just due to tribal mixing of post-Santhros).  This might give us a start on deciding what other kingdoms' names might be like, too.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 31 January 2007, 10:26:52 »

Yes, exactly.

Leave all names that sound vaguely 'Nordic' in the 'Avennorian' category:

Geir, Halokar, Herrtirig, Herrvin,  Irfi, Johl, Thorrig, and so on are all great examples!

I'd move names ending in O  (Lano, Terlano, Pinnano) into the 'influenced' category - perhaps all names that sound more 'Latin-language' (Spanish, Italian) could be grouped?

Likewise names ending in US (Eyrus, Troibadus, etc.)   which have a Greco-Roman feel could be categorized together. 

We could also say that
'a' for women's final syllable is most characteristic of Avenorians -
while the double 'ss' is influenced by YYY
and the double 'll' by ZZZ
'ea' as a woman's ending should be from somewhere else as well.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2007, 11:51:57 »

Hopefully i don't throw things too much out of sync, but if Santharian names are anything like normal Terran stuff you'd have something like this going on with names. Though instead of languages it could merely be regional.

Terran (Peter for example.)
English: Peter
German/Russian: Piotr
French: Pierre

So, Santharian (Smith is still common I assume)
Generic: Smith
New-Santhalan: Smithe
Avennorian: Smythe
Bardavian (hope i got that right): Smyte

Interesting no?

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2007, 03:53:24 »

The Generator is progressing is nicely and functional already by now with everything that is needed in order to construct names with the syllables system. E.g. you can now view all the generated names in an own form, generate only names starting with a certain letter, define that a certain "tribe definition" has gender independent names where the gender speciifc beginnings and endings are ignored - in short you then can create gender specific Avennorian first names and second names. We have a title screen as well by now, and so on.

Still there are a bunch of features I'd like to have in it before I can let you play around with it. Also don't expect a first version that can do everything - special requests have to be analyzed based on usage of the tool. Features that make sense and can be integrated with reasonable effort will then be added in the course of time. Certain very specific rules for tribes (like repetitions of syllables wanted or supressed and stuff like that) should be possible to define as well - but on a much later version.

What I definitely plan to add to the current version is the possibility not to let names be generated only (at the moment it's all purely random, even though you can let syllables be re-suggested), but to have the syllables available and a person can construct names manually by deciding himself/herself what will be syllable 1, 2 and 3 and if they really fit together.

Please note as well that that the names generated at the moment e.g. for the Avennorians are basically products of names which have been accumulated in this thread and marked with the stamp "Avennorian". There exists no definition on typical Avennorian syllables etc., we would need to work on this addition to the Avennorian entry first. At the moment I'm just playing around with it to get a look and feel for it. Ideally, once the tool is released, there should be one person alone for a certain tribe (one person could pick more tribes as well), but it shouldn't happen that two people work on one tribe in different databases. With other words: One person should add the syllables to the database for a tribe and refine this as good as possible, e.g. work towards a better Nordic style for the Avennorians, and construct quite a bit of example names. Once that is done, the result can be mailed to me and I put everything into a master database, which everyone can download. Once the data is there, everyone else can construct names based on these syllables officially approved for a certain tribe. Please note as well that it is essential to have quite a bit of syllables in order to have variety in it.

On the mixing stuff: I would say that it should be our priority now to construct tribe specific names, not mixed names or variations. That's simply to early. We should try to elaborate the sound and thus the character of various tribes through the generated names first.

Once we have that we can think about how to make truly Santharian names (in a mixed kingdom) work. In this respect the Name Generator could help by e.g. starting with two Erpheronian syllables and then suggesting an Avennorian ending to it to name just one possibility how it could work. Or "Avennoriarized" Erpheronian syllables could be defined in a special form to use etc. All not much of a problem with the system we use if it is expanded a bit. But that's for later, we need to put one brick on top of another to build a house. For a start 4 walls and a door keeping the coldness out suffice. Then we put an fireplace in and it gets cozier... :) cool
« Last Edit: 01 February 2007, 03:55:08 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 February 2007, 07:05:42 »

Ok, some more reading...

I assume that a school started in Lorehaven will have been founded by an Avennorian?

Female:

Learna Goutonch
Madame Doutonch and Dame Fernella (I'm guessing the first one should be Goutonch, as only descendants of the first one have the title Madame)

Last name:
Ferquad

Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 01 February 2007, 20:24:26 »

These are typical names which most likely won't make it into the Avennorian name definitions as they are too far away from the Nordic stuff that we have in mind for this tribe. There surely are quite a bit of names on the site that won't fit, but that's why it is even more important to define that now for all the key tribes - the sooner the better. Inconsistencies will still remain to a certain degree, here and there we might iron them out later.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]