Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Medicine timeline  (Read 3302 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« on: 18 January 2007, 08:54:38 »

If there are no strong objections, I'd like to start drawing up a timeline showing the change of healing and curing people, starting from, say, the Era of Harmony and working forward?  To specify, the time periods I'll refer to come from the historical timeline in southern Sarvonia.  Some generalities I'm suggesting:

*People don't heal one another up until the Era of Harmony, sometime around 6000 b.S., the time of the elves settling in the forests.  Before this time, shamans prayed to the gods for portents and omens, and would forecast someone's fate based on the shadows cast by the clouds, the sounds and appearance of (of lack thereof) the local animals, the luck the tribal hunters and/or gatherers had in recent weeks, and so on.

I'll add more soon, have to run for now.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2007, 11:23:29 by Clancy the Green » Logged

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
colossuem

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2007, 11:44:36 »

Sounds nice, maybe we could make a whole section in the misc. area fo timelines????

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2007, 12:39:37 »

Sounds nice, maybe we could make a whole section in the misc. area fo timelines????

I think that would be a great idea so I think either you or clancy needs to run it by the admins and maybe get it approved if enough are created.

Kanji Version:
Semenai de! Kesanai de! Makenai de!
Dare datte motteru hazu yuzurenai mono.
Ai dake! Yume dake! Kimi dake!
Sorre dake ha hanasanai donna toki demo.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2007, 17:33:20 »

Slowly, slowly!

You enthusiasm to create something is appreciated very much! But I think you have to do a bit more reading and familiarising with the site AND do some research with google or wikipedia before you can start with something like this.

Let‘s take what you have so far, Clancy:

*People don't heal one another up until the Era of Harmony, sometime around 6000 b.S., the time of the elves settling in the forests.  Before this time, shamans prayed to the gods for portents and omens, and would forecast someone's fate based on the shadows cast by the clouds, the sounds and appearance of (of lack thereof) the local animals, the luck the tribal hunters and/or gatherers had in recent weeks, and so on.

Do you really think, that people didn‘t try to heal each other with simple means like using herbs and infusions and so on up to this time? Or try to mend a broken leg? We had already several flourishing cultures up to this time.

We had  never shamans apart from the orcs - people in Santharia always believed in the twelve gods as did the elves, though they pray to Avá.

Healing is done by healers AND/OR with the help of clerical magic. I don‘t intend to introduce a kind of evolution there before I (other others) have defined what is possible at all.

This wouldn‘t go into the misc section, but as timeline in the history forum.

Teamprojects (technical timeline) go into the approbate forum.

If you two really want to do something in this direction, that is define what  mundane healers were able to do, try to check out with google, wikipedia or other sources (maybe even the book The Medicus by Noah Gordon) what barber-surgeons, doctor and midwives were able to do in the middle ages, what they knew, what the doctors e.g. in the Arabic high cultures knew (more than the Europeans at that time)

After you have sampled all this stuff (links and text) and put it down here (that would be appreciated) you can start to think about what was possible when in Santharia, what knowledge was lost during wars etc.

Wouldn‘t that be a task for you? Even if you say afterwards that the Santharian history is too huge and not developed enough, that you can`t do this entry, you would have merited enough to be mentioned in the entry (either as coauthor or at the end).

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2007, 11:11:05 »

Oh, sorry that was my suggestion. Anyways, if I'm not mistaking brownies might have developed advanced healing tech. long before most races.

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2007, 11:57:24 »

We had  never shamans apart from the orcs - people in Santharia always believed in the twelve gods as did the elves, though they pray to Avá.
I don't know about orcs, but it's possible that they aren't technically shamans; Marvin hasn't said enough about them for me to tell.  The Brownies of Akdor, however, do have shamans.  Still, that's out of bounds for now. 

Before this time, shamans prayed to the gods...
Not as such, unless you don't define gods as having to be superior beings.  Shamans are basically people who act as a mediator between their community and a 'spirit world'.  They are normally associated with animistic cultures.  On the other hand, while I can't think of any examples, I think it's entirely possible for an animistic culture to also believe in the existence of gods, in which case their shamans might well act as priests too. 

Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2007, 06:42:02 »

Not as such, unless you don't define gods as having to be superior beings.  Shamans are basically people who act as a mediator between their community and a 'spirit world'.  They are normally associated with animistic cultures.  On the other hand, while I can't think of any examples, I think it's entirely possible for an animistic culture to also believe in the existence of gods, in which case their shamans might well act as priests too.

what you are thinking about, or at least i am, for shamans is something more like orcs started it and passed it on or maybe even those shapeshifters races started it and passed it on before race extinction. so yeh just adding what i think would help with what mina said.

Kanji Version:
Semenai de! Kesanai de! Makenai de!
Dare datte motteru hazu yuzurenai mono.
Ai dake! Yume dake! Kimi dake!
Sorre dake ha hanasanai donna toki demo.
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2007, 13:50:47 »

Thanks to everyone who's commented on this topic.   :D   I'm very interested in continuing this discussion in the appropriate forum--History forum, right, Talia?  Looks like I need to gather and organize some information to start with.

Here goes...see you again in History!

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]