Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: "A day at Keep Mistrash" a musical setting.  (Read 6566 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 04 February 2007, 09:51:13 »

It's one of those nights again... and I have a JuJitsu/Aikido sensei to listen to in the morning  huh ... but that's of later care. For now, I've been sketching a little. It's not finished, it's basics, like the first lay-out of colours. There's a theme for horns, there's a few twists to themes to see where we can go, and there's the theme in a different context. For now it's been dubbed recalling brethren, but that's just a placeholder. Enjoy and we'll see how soon I get this fleshed out a bit more...

Recalling Brethren v1.0
[edit]
Recalling Brethren v2.0
Keep Mistrash v1.0
« Last Edit: 15 February 2007, 04:29:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2007, 13:20:52 »

Well, if this is 'basics', let's get down to basics more often! 

This is already as rich as a movie theme.... marvelously involving from the first bowing and dipping horns.  Then the stately higher voice enters, dignity in each move and chord change... coming to a unison and a curve, as if the procession were turning a corner from a grand roadway to a spacious avenue.

In fact, the only problem I have with this is that it's too short!  I was just beginning to be carried along with the courtly grace of the phrases and BOMP - it ends.... :(

I could see this as 'Thar's Theme'..... (grins at Gean) or 'Coronation March'....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2007, 07:49:29 »

Overseeing the few bustling musicians rehearsing for themselves, the wandering historian decides there's actually too few of them. With the sounds of horns echoing down the hall, he hurries to a nearby tavern. Moments later, two pipers have joined the orchestra.

"You, take the parts of the second horns... and... well, yes I know that's a bit low for you, double it okay... yes in octaves thank you very much."

"You and you, a 'g' please, with flowing dynamics... yup that's it. Not too loud! Ok, leave it at that"

"Now listen up everybody, these are Jevrin Hillend and his cousin Grigs, they're going to play along. I want the intro extended with the horns and pipers echoing eachother, then we enter with the first theme. Let's give it a go okay?"

Just sketching along, the first theme 'for now' completely developed.

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2007, 05:20:55 »

Didn't get to commenting on this one so far...

Anyway, it's another lovely piece, quite different from the former works methinks, Gean :) - Has indeed a very majestetic melody to it! Don't know if you want to develop various different musical pieces which you see as themes or if you want to expand this one into a larger piece that develops further - the piece definitely has the potential to become a major symphony methinks if it would develop even further as it does near the end of the last version. At any rate: I like it already!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2007, 10:18:05 »

Symphony... well I can dream of course :D No symphonies yet, but I want this one to develop a bit more. I'm rather stuck at the moment as I'm looking for a way to get the piece moving into an uptempo... haven't found a way yet, but don't worry I'll find something :) I at least know the source of my inspiration: Raiders of the Lost Arc soundtrack... but if you don't know it you won't hear it, I only found out when I was trying to find out where I had heard something similar and realized my father had turned it on during diner last week.

Fortunately, I realised I have several unfinished pieces for Santharia lying around, some never reached the forum, so maybe while I'm stuck on this one, I'll get on with another one, though writing uptempo fantasy like music is a major problem I haven't tackled yet...

- Shendar Proverb
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2007, 04:04:23 »

Hopefully soon to be found here: the newest version of 'A Manthrian Keep', a 5+ minutes musical setting of for example Keep Mystrash! Now just to wait till my mail arrives at Artimidor's... and I'm off at once, sitting behind the computer the whole day is giving me a slight headache now  undecided but I think it's worth it, I hope you'll agree with me after listening.

Comments then welcomed and appreciated!  rolleyes

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2007, 04:38:32 »

Yep, I'm already here with the new version! - Here you go:

(right-click and Save As...)

A Manthrian Keep - 5:31 min., 5.06 MB

Comments following!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2007, 04:53:20 »

Yeah, this is really pratically a symphony already, Gean!  Big Grin pet

It develops very nicely in these 5:31 minutes, from the rather calm and more contemplative beginning to another, more dreamy music, then getting more dramatic, historic maybe, then leading into music reminding of battles and heroic times - and then closing the circle back to the main theme, which started it all! Brilliant! clap clap Listening to it really feels as if the music tells an epic story - pictures spring immediately into one's mind and that is always a great sign especially when the music is a theme of a place.

I have absolutely no quibbles here from my point of view - another typical Geanean genius piece :) Absolutely fascinating music one can listen to for hours!  thumbup

A Manthrian keep might also fit very well, let's see if Grunok can imagine it to fit to Keep Mistrash. Definitely fits for me to a majestic keep somewhere up in the mountains (it's as if a Toran Eagle is circling around the keep at the beginning!)...

At any rate: Applause, applause to Grandmaster G.!  clap2 clap2 clap2
« Last Edit: 11 February 2007, 05:01:58 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2007, 04:05:13 »

cry Waaah! cry 

My computer doesn't have any sound, so I can't listen to this!  I will have access to other computers over the next couple of weeks so hopefully I will get a chance to listen and comment, but if you don't hear from me by the 26th I fear I will have to wait some months to hear it, so don't wait on me!  Thanks for thinking of my entry, Gean, I'm really excited to hear a musical illustration of my Keep!

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2007, 07:24:17 »

Don't worry Grun. But I hope you get a chance to listen to it and tell me what you think of it.

@ Artimidor &others: I've uploaded a new, for now final version, it can be reached from the first post. I've made some last changes, additions, polished a little here and there. For now I've dubbed it "A day at Keep Mistrash" :)

- Shendar Proverb
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2007, 04:31:56 »

Yay, it's getting better and better and it started already very good - I just love it, Gean!  Big Grin pet

Only thing that seems to be a problem here is that the music (like in other pieces where I've mentioned it) seems to come from the right speakers only (front and back). I checked again if my speakers are in order, and indeed they are.  When I listen for example to the "Vale of Brownies" piece this is a really 3-dimensional sound coming from all possible directions and being very effective that way. "Siege of Bardavos" is also very fine that way - but as I checked now once again some of the later pieces seem to be dead on the left speakers, like "Theme of Lynlith", but also "A View from Griffin's Marl" seems to have that problem... - maybe you can ajdust that? rolleyes

Nevertheless the piece itself is marvellous, too bad Grun doesn't have speakers - hey, what kind of antique equipment are you using! ;)
« Last Edit: 15 February 2007, 04:45:14 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2007, 04:43:06 »

It really does sound like a day! Starting with smooth theme, like the rising of the sun and ending with the same theme like the setting of the sun. Brilliant, truly a masterpiece!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2007, 06:21:02 »

@Arceon: Thank you! I'm glad you like the title.

@Artimidor: could you list for me which musical pieces do have the problem and which don't? Then I can try and find what's causing it, by comparing different characteristics. I hope we can find it, it's annoying me too. I think your high quality speaker system might be able to point me in the right direction.

- Shendar Proverb
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2007, 14:26:14 »

well i listened to recalling brethren original and version 1, and both came from my left speaker (thats the one with the volume control)

now i liked the beginning of the second one better cause of the attention getting sustain. i found the "pacing music" more pronounced on the original one as it built up a sense of suspense, but in the second version the pacing music is more subdued so it diminished and really only seem to serve to mark time. there was no sense of the travelling or marching of the first version's pacing.

i thought the horns were more pronounced maybe too much so in the second version as it got loud, stayed loud, so i think you should work on emphasizing your phrasing more with dynamics.

i did like the canon aspect of both pieces and the internal harmonies. i felt like the first version just "stopped" at the end, and the second version thoug it did resolve, actually had a more finished stop though i wouldnt really agree with the way it ended.

i didnt listen to the Keep Mitrash one cause i didnt wnat to clutter the comparison i was making between the two pieces. the latter one seemed more regal something you would expect to here as fanfare before a king and the first one as the opening to a story about a wandering soul who must strive to accomplish his reward hence the pacing of the music culminating in the horns. So the first one is more linear and the second one is more boisterous and promenade like.

Still they were both very good.

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2007, 04:25:13 »

Ok, here's an overview on what works with 4 speakers and what not:

Problems:
- A Day at Keep Mistrash
- Dusk is Here
- A View from Griffin's Marl
- Theme of Lynlith
- Lansquenet's Lament

Nicely spread at all speakers:
- The Vale of Brownies
- The Siege of Bardavos

Let's say it that way: At the problematic pieces the left speakers produce sound, but the volume is extremely low, barely noticeable at times. This is different is different from piece to piece, though. For example Lansquenet's Lament is clearly right speaker dominated but at 1:16 a new instrument sets in that seems to be clearly centered (clearly audible at the right and the left speaker).

In general it seems that except at the two pieces I called "nicely spread at all speakers" the music is basically played on the right speaker side, not at the center.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]