Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bediardari  (Read 1761 times)
Kearitona

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 23 February 2007, 04:53:39 »

Overview

The Bediardari unlike their cousins the Mad or Wicked Faeries are gentle and more kind in nature but very shy as well they range to little more then 1ft in length to half that size they share their homes with the  Light elves and those who dwell in the forest areas like Thaleon. They provide aid to the forest and the elves by using their powers to help things grow and the guide weary travelers who have lost their way by using their powers to become beacons of light to guide them. So helpful are they to anyone in the forest that they are often given the nickname "The Good Folk"

(well hows that for a teaser for fairies)
« Last Edit: 01 April 2007, 01:18:57 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2007, 06:30:53 »

Hmmm... If you're referring to fairy-like creatures that float around like angels in the Thaelon similar to the Mad Dancing Faeries of the Venlaken Enclave, then this probably won't work. Quote from the Mad Dancing Faeries entry:

"The "Mad Dancing Faeries" are believed to be ghostly apparitions roaming the woods of the Enclave and sometimes the woods west of Lun - in southern Nybelmar. [...] The most commonly accepted interpretation among the Ansaran scholars is that the Mad Faeries are actually the result of some ancient magical forces, unleashed during the cataclysm that probably engulfed the now forgotten civilization, long before the Anpagans' arrival in the area. But just like in the Void Sails' case, these magical forces seem to be beyond the Ansaran mages' comprehension, as not only that they could not reproduce them but also they never managed to realize what their true nature might be."

Please note that these entities are basically apparitions, they could be a trick of the mind as well in this forksaken place. Such fairy-like beings are quite unlikely in the Thaelon forest though I'd say, especially if you'd describe them in full detail - we also don't want to copy that concept from Venlaken to central Sarvonia.

But what could work is if you mean an entity that is usually known as the "Will'o'Wisp", an entity that appears as faintly glowing balls of light and seems to have a certain purpose e.g. for the Thaelon, though it is not known what kind of purpose that is and when they appear etc. Will'o'Wisp are surely more than just apparitions, and in fairy-tales they could also communicate with people, so this would be something for the Myth/Lore section to mention there then. There could also be "bad" will'o'wisps who might mislead people in moors and such.

I don't know if you'd like to go in this direction, but it is a possibility I find quite likely to exist in the Thaelon. There are a bunch of references to such beings on the site - actually there was an entry already on the site, which we had to take down as it was copied from somewhere else and breached copyrights laws. So, yeah, there would be a gap to full in this respect.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kearitona

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2007, 08:38:06 »

Well I only said cousins cause dark or light creatures of the magical world are still siblings cousins and kin to each other because they are two sides of the same magic.

Plus these fairies are more butterfly looking the best reference I can give you to look at for what I mean is Allakhazam.com and look up EverQuest's Bestiary they sorta followed what I mean but if it wont work then I can always try something else.

Which comes to my second question like I said before I have a book that tells me a great deal about a large variety of mythical creatures would I be doing something wrong if I borrowed one of these creatures or no cause I just wished to make sure I'm not accused of plagiarism since I would never intentionally do that to a fellow creator.

If this is allowed I have two other ideas one is a Horse of the sun called a Bronte I can change it from being one who carries the sun to a horse who was actually born from the sun and I can also bring in a Horse for the Water who was born from that very element what do you think.
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2007, 10:20:57 »

Based on your entry, you tie these creatures primarily to mythical figures.  This is actually quite fortunate for you seeing as if you wish to follow with this creature, you will have to write it as a mythical beast.  Since it is mythical however, you can't provide straight facts, so phrases such as "it is believed to have" will need to be used.  Also, a large Myth/Lore section would probably be required to explain in more detail the background of these creatures as they will have to simply be creatures of a fairy tale.
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2007, 19:28:10 »

Also Keari, I think you should realise a few things:

1. Nybelmarian/Daedhirian Magic (Venlaken) functions very differently to Sarvonian/Santharian magic

2. You cannot describe two things from different continents as 'both sides of the same magic' just because one is 'evil' and the other is 'good'.

3. As Art mentioned, Mad Dancing Faeries are not very faerie-like in their appearence

4. Light Elves, mythical. You cannot use them as straight facts like Drasil said...

I like the basic idea though, and it does sound interesting!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2007, 09:25:05 »

I was sure I had written something about marsh light/bog gasses / wisps at some point ages ago.  There is an allusion but nothing specific in the Granther Willow myth (in the Willow entry).   However, there is a very specific reference in the Paelmerin entry.  http://www.santharia.com/herbarium/paelmerin.htm   There are several references to will'o'wisps on the site but none of the links refer to any actual entry.     Research would have to be done a bit more thoroughly, but there is definitely a hole that needs filling!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2007, 05:43:03 »

@Judy: While the Will'o'Wisps entry has been removed from the site due to copyright issues, there might be part in it, which you wrote and which were added in. I have that entry still lying around here, so we could still get this stuff if needed.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2007, 05:17:05 »

Speaking of Fairies, there are Bug-Fairies on my entries-to-do-list.. somewhere in fourth or fifth place i think.. ( right after Mogo's, Mossmounds, Gunthreed, and a Nybelmer overview spoiler)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]