Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pyrokinetics and Whatnot.  (Read 4737 times)
Jairo Koshi

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 April 2007, 10:30:36 »

Pyrokinesis, Fire School, Level VI

Pyrokinesis is the art of moving and shaping fire however one pleases. The caster can target any open flame to begin the spell, and then move it freely about, through the air, and do whatever one wishes to do with it. More practical uses of pyrokinesis includes; setting a large perimeter on fire with a limited amount of energy, redirecting offensive magical fire attacks or flaming arrows, moving a small bulb of flame through the air to light one's path, and much more. The true power lies in the imagination of the magician and the effects one wishes to achieve.

Spell Effect:
The spell targets specified fire ounia and is manipulated and moved by the will of the caster. The fire ounia can be increased or decreased in amount or strength in order to increase or decrease the size of the fire in order to achieve the desired effect. The caster can redirect any fire attack of a foe and send it back at the opponent or send it harmlessly out of the way. Fire ounia can also be moved quickly through flamable areas causing destruction in its wake.

Although it concievably could be used to attack adversaries with, the energy required to build up the fire ounia would make it a much easier to use Quilrosh's Fireball instead. On the other hand, Pyrokinesis would be a much better offensive skill if one wished for an attack to originate from an area other than the caster. For example, a mage could send a ball of flame from behind the adversary instead, although the casting time for such an attack would increase dramatically.

The second part of pyrokinesis, shaping, is an awe-inspiring thing to behold. One can compact or rearrange fire ounia in any shape, creating a blazing but perfectly round sphere of fire, or a long rope of flame suspended in the air. The more complex the shape is, the harder it is for the caster to maintain. It is not advisable to create complex shapes, although many fire mages spend their time creating intricate masterpieces of pure fire ounia. It is often used for large spectacles.

Casting Procedure:
Pyrokinesis is a very useful spell that could be used almost as frequently in non-rushed circumstances as it could be in circumstances that call for quick action. Either way, it is ideal for both.

In circumstances where the caster has time to perform the spell, reagents are highly recommended, as they dramatically enhance the ability of control and finesse which are integral to the execution of Pyrokinesis. It is common that inexperienced magicians cannot even hold an independant flame without the use of sulpher.

To cast the spell, the mage must raise a hand (or both) in front of them. Intense concentration is required, and even the slightest lack of focus will result in failure. The mage draws upon the fire ounia from the target and pulls it from the source in some way, shaping it, or levitating it in the air. The closer the levitating flame or source is to the user, the less energy is require from the caster to sustain the flame.

The initiate levels are generally able to cast the spell with 1 to 6 peds away from the target. 6 peds away requires 6 times the energy of 1 ped away. Likewise, being less than a fore away will require much less energy than 1 ped.

The magicitai and magus levels are capable of casting from a source up to 20 or more peds away and can cast in a much quicker fashion than the initiate levels.

Magical Formula:
Undefined.

Target:
The target is any physical source of pre-existing fire ounia and the space in which the fire ounia is moved by the caster. A beginning mage would be able to target a small source of fire ounia, such as a candle, or hearth. More experienced mages could potentially move much larger quantities of fire ounia, such as a burning tree, although small flames are the most commonly used source for this spell. Larger sources are impractical, although they require much less energy for moving larger quantities of fire ounia, for the soul fact that one does not have to increase the amount of fire in any way.

Reagents:
Sulpher, as is commonly used with fire spells, is rubbed into the palms or over the entire hand. This supposedly grants a greater level of control over the flame. Blowing ashes into the air that one wishes to move a flame is said to move a flame quicker and with much less energy. Unfortunately neither are practical for scenarios that require quick action.

Magical School:
Fire School, Level VI

Spell Class:
Physical representation of Sphere Two. Part of the Pyrokinesis Class.

Range:
The range, of course, depends on the skills of the caster. As stated above, the source must be within 1-6 feet of the caster, although the range of motion is much greater. There having been instances of mages burning entire perimeters of forest by moving a large fireball in a wide arc and igniting the trees in it's path. The range for the initiate class in anywhere from 10-20 maximum peds distance, although the farther the controlled fire ounia is, the harder it is to sustain.

Casting Time:
The casting process is very fast. Usually, it takes less than a few blinks to start the casting and move the fire ounia from the target source. However, it takes longer, depending on how much fire you have, to move the fire ounia longer distances. It is common that many also add fire ounia to the target flame in order to increase the size, which also takes longer to complete. Overall, the casting time of this spell is very quick, and it is often useful as an offensive spell.

Duration:
The duration of the spell is proportional to how long the mage can hold the fire ounia. For most mages, this isn't very long. The longest a mage would want to control a flame for isn't much more than one minutes. Two minutes is possible, but most uses for the spell do not take that long to complete. It could take a fraction of a second to reverse the spell of an enemy magician, or to fling a bulb of fire ounia across the room. It does take longer to build up a larger ball of fire though, and therefore it is more energy consuming to hold a larger amount of fire ounia than a smaller amount.

Counter Measures:
The best way to stop a Pyrokinesis spell would be to attack the mage himself. The best way would be to distract the mage long enough to lose his concentration, or to injure the mage which would result in the mage breaking off focus completely. When attacking the mage is not an option, the next best way to deter a spell would be to douse the levitating flame with water. To defend against it, a slab of rock, a metal shield, or even armor could protect against getting burnt by the flame.

« Last Edit: 14 April 2007, 10:55:22 by Jiro » Logged
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2007, 17:51:14 »

Call in one of the moderators to give you some attention here Jiro, they tend to doze off now and then...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2007, 18:16:18 »

A mage could use this spell in relative safety from behind a city wall.

An army seeing flames being shot from an area could be tricked into attacking their own allies or other units of their own army. They could be deceived into   going into a spot they wouldn't such as riding into a valley to kill troops they thought were vulnerable or riding several strall away from a force they were about to obliterate because they thought they saw their arrows.
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2007, 00:23:22 »

@Mira: It's only been two days :)

On the spell itself: it seems to be a combination of most of the offensive sphere I & II spells. Is there anything that sets this spell apart from being a combo of Fireballs, Flame Control, Rise Flame...?
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2007, 06:05:54 »

...I could have sworn I posted the same exact thing as Marvin just asked...
Jairo Koshi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2007, 13:18:16 »

Yes, it may be pretty similar with it's large array of capabilities, but it's smarter to use a Fireball for the pupose of offense. I thought fire control seems pretty general, and pyrokinesis is much more specific to what I want achieved. It's perhaps not a totally innovative idea, but it allows for much more non-offensive manuevering, which was what I am trying to aim towards. There are so many uses for it, it's not even funny. It's similar, in this same aspect, to fire control, but it's just too specific, advanced, and sphere II to boot. I think it makes a good addition to the fire school lists and it defines at which level a mage really can use their own inventiveness to explore the boundaries of a spell similar, but more sophisticated than fire control.

Here's what it provides, as an overview;
-Redirection of fire attacks and missiles.
-"telekinesis" or movement similar, but with flames.
-Fire crafting (temporary, think firework type displays. More for tribal celebrations and things where fire spectacles would be used)
-Setting large regions (flammables only) on fire with little effort.
-Distracting groups and enemy armies with dazzling spectacles.
-Increasing the size of campfires and such in windy environments where you can barely get a small flame.
-Decreasing/Manipulating forest fires in a manner, similar to control burns. Quell flame and Extinguish can be used when wanting to completely put a flame out.
-(Conditional!) Possibly shadowmancy, (See the site entry) basically using the lack of fire ouns to move shadows, sorta thing. Basically umbrakinesis, moving shadows and such. Not any of the Kasumarii 3D shadow stuff.

Crap, sorry.  undecided I'll add on as I remember, I'm a little out of it tonight.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 13:20:14 by Jiro » Logged
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2007, 17:13:24 »

You should probably make it sound more specific in the entry. 

I'm not sure how you did it, but I recommend thinking about how it works before you try to figure out what it can do.  The list of possible uses you provide does not seem entirely consistent with literal pyrokinesis, ie. the movement of physical fire. 

-"telekinesis" or movement similar, but with flames.
This is basically what your spell is supposed to do, its obseravable effect.  The 'spell effect' section should focus on explaining how this works.  Anything else (applications and such) should be placed elsewhere. 

-Redirection of fire attacks and missiles. 
-Fire crafting (temporary, think firework type displays. More for tribal celebrations and things where fire spectacles would be used)
-Setting large regions (flammables only) on fire with little effort.
-Distracting groups and enemy armies with dazzling spectacles.
These are specific applications of the spell, rather than it's actual effect.  You should probably put them somewhere other than the 'spell effect' section. 

-Increasing the size of campfires and such in windy environments where you can barely get a small flame.
-Decreasing/Manipulating forest fires in a manner, similar to control burns. Quell flame and Extinguish can be used when wanting to completely put a flame out.
These do not seem to be Sphere 2 at all. 

-(Conditional!) Possibly shadowmancy, (See the site entry) basically using the lack of fire ouns to move shadows, sorta thing. Basically umbrakinesis, moving shadows and such. Not any of the Kasumarii 3D shadow stuff.
Including this will be troublesome.  Basically you have to define the spell effect as 'moving Fire ounia in general' instead of 'moving Fire ounia in a way that causes physical flames to move'.  The former basically describes all of Sphere 2; you should be more specific when describing a spell. 

There might also be a better way of moving physical flames than to directly move the ounia, which in some cases could perhaps be argued to be Sphere 3.  Lets see if you can figure it out.  Think about how fireballs work. 

Jairo Koshi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2007, 08:21:11 »

Quilrosh's Fireball gathers fire ounia, similar to Pyrokinesis.

My apologies, but I'm not quite sure which points of the entry you want me to change. Fireblast also happens to be level VI sphere II, and yet it achieves it's goal by moving ounia in the same way that Pyrokinesis does. I'm not sure where that is innacurate, could you please show me where in the entry?

So far I understand that you thought I only described the observable effects, but I think I'm rather accurate in describing that each of those various effects can be achieved in the same way; by targeting the fire ounia you wish to move, and to move it with your mind. That's pretty general, but I think that's what I stated above before you posted that response. I said that you can move a fire ball through a forest of dry pines to set them on fire, you can redirect flaming arrows or cast them aside, and you can craft different images with fire. I think that all can be achieved using the technique I described. Perhaps you are asking for a more detailed descripiton?
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2007, 01:30:13 »

I think I'm rather accurate in describing that each of those various effects can be achieved in the same way; by targeting the fire ounia you wish to move, and to move it with your mind.

No, that is the effect.  The other things you mention, like setting things on fire, are applications, things that you can use the effect to do. 

Quilrosh's Fireball gathers fire ounia, similar to Pyrokinesis.

Don't you think it might be too similar in that case?  Sphere 2 basically means to alter the influence of the element in an area through the movement of ounia; it's a technique.  One problem I see with this spell is that it is too general, almost as if it covers all of Sphere 2.  Try to make it more specific.  Take Fireball for example, it gathers Fire ounia at a point to produce a ball of fire, which is just one of the effects you can achieve by moving Fire ounia.  Of course, there are other things that happen too, which distinguishes it from other spells with the same basic principle, like Fireblast, but that'll do for now. 

Jairo Koshi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2007, 07:24:03 »

Don't you think it might be too similar in that case?  Sphere 2 basically means to alter the influence of the element in an area through the movement of ounia; it's a technique.  One problem I see with this spell is that it is too general, almost as if it covers all of Sphere 2.  Try to make it more specific.  Take Fireball for example, it gathers Fire ounia at a point to produce a ball of fire, which is just one of the effects you can achieve by moving Fire ounia.  Of course, there are other things that happen too, which distinguishes it from other spells with the same basic principle, like Fireblast, but that'll do for now.

But isn't Fire Control a kind of basis for fire magic? Couldn't Pyrokinesis in the same manner be a root of spells such as Fireball and Fireblast? I think that the most ideal thing for mages to invent would be a spell that is general so that when they need to think of a quick spell they have something to fall back on. If you are confronted with a situation where it would take split seconds to react, I'd much rather use a weaker general spell than a powerful specific spell. You just can't always prepare for those kinds of situations. Do you think that it would defeat the purpose of having those other spells? Once again, it has the same principal of fire control, only it includes sphere II instead of sphere I. Of course, once you know sphere II you can apply sphere I to it, but that is besides the point. The reason why it is similar, but not quite similar to the Fireball is that it does indeed gather ounia in the same way, but it is more like a root spell, not a subsitute.

Perhaps I should add some of these specific points to it. If you honestly think it is too general, I can tone down it's capabilities, but I don't think that should be necessary. It's up to you though.
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2007, 07:34:12 »

But isn\'t Fire Control a kind of basis for fire magic

Nope.  The only basis for this element, as in all others, is the increase/decrease of the strength of the properties in the car\'all to make them more apparent, hence giving an object fire like qualities, and the movement or reorganization of fire ounia from point A to point B.  Mind, while it can often be considered similar, the movement of fire ounia is not the same as a movement of a flame.  Even though you are moving the basis of fire, it does not mean that the element of fire is present in that particular form.  So, to summarize, Flame Control is a basic application of Fire magic, but it is not the basis for the element, as is a common misconception with most elements.

Also, something to take into account, generally, magi don\'t have the control over their element to make it move outside of its natural bounds.  Thus, it is unlikely that you can levitate water, large amounts of earth or fire, though you can have some control over its actions.  To be more specific, for the element of fire, it is possible to control the movements of the flame from its base, ie, causing it flicker or move back and forth in a certain pattern, but it is impossible to physically move the whole flame without some other form of activation engery, such as physically pushing or moving the source of that flame as I believe is seen in the spell Fireball(I don\'t have it infront of me).  If I remember correctly, the mage has to perform some motion to set the ball of flame in motion before he is able to mircomanage its movements while in the air.
Jairo Koshi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2007, 08:31:31 »

Yes Drasil, although:

Flame Control is merely a gateway to the many series of other spells depending on what the caster hopes to accomplish: absorb the fire, destroy the fire, make the fire grow. The possibilities are literally endless, all depending on what the caster's intentions are.

I only go by the information I have access to, hence the assumption. Thanks for correcting me, although in order for me to consider that valid I need the link to the source from which you are giving me that information.

*groans*

According to the elves and their myths, fire is earth trying to overcome its earthen boundaries of singularity of things and to reach back to the winds, from where it originated. This means the wind mage can put out fires by manipulating the fire ounia through the wind ounia.

The mage concentrates on lowering the strength of the wind ounia in the air closely around the flame. As a result, the movement of the wind will die away and earth will become more and more dominant. Fire is lively and constantly changing, so it stands closer to wind than to earth. Thus, if the movement of the wind is taken away, the fire will eventually follow. This can easily be demonstrated by putting a candle under a glass dome. Since the wind can no longer move freely, the flame will diminish and finally go out completely.

Here is another little interesting tidbit. It suggests that fire is the state between earth and air, but leaning towards air. There is also a quote that says Fire ounia is attracted to itself, which is why it is warm when the sun is out, and cold when it is night. Logically, this would mean that fire can survive with the air it is given, and although it does not have it's earthly sustenance, one could draw fire ounia from the suns rays to keep the fire burning, but lets keep it simpler than that, shall we? Fire can feed itself for a period of time, which would lead one to believe that even if you can't move the fire from it's base, you can feed it from the fire ounia from the sun. Since fire ounia have a tendency of sticking to eachother, one could also heighten this tendancy so that our levitating balls of energy feed directly from the fire ounia also emitted by the suns rays. There you go, three different ways to keep the flame burning while levitating.

Would you really rather have me subsitute that rediculous alternative for keeping the fire burning while it's away from it's source?

« Last Edit: 19 April 2007, 08:33:55 by Jiro » Logged
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2007, 08:57:09 »

...First thing you need to know is that almost all of the magic information onsite is outdated, thus providing a \"valid link\" to where I got my information is impossible.  Information and knowledge about the magic system doesn\'t come from memorizing what is on site, but from practice and observation.  Unlike you, I\'ve been actively working in magic for 18 months, thus its pretty safe to assume that I know basic principles, such as this.

Anyways, to your comments.  Just because many fire spells come out of flame control, does not mean it is the basis for all spells pertaining to fire.  It might be one of the most basic applications of fire magic, therefore coming up frequently in other applications, but it is by no means the complete basics.  The basis of all elemental magic is what I told you before and I really am not in the mood to repeat that information.

As for your second bit, that is quite interesting information, but I question its validity as it seems quite outdated.  Therefore, I\'m going to suggest waiting for the opinions of the full-fledged magic masters, like Mina, before basing your spell upon that principle.  As for your explanation of it, I don\'t completely agree.  While, the blurb you quoted might be true, the mentioned affect has nothing to do with flame control what so ever and would in fact be a wind spell, not one of fire.  Also, you seem to have the principle of an ounia down wrong.  As I mentioned above, just because fire ounia gather together does not mean that the property of a flame will be expressed.  As shown in your example with the sun, while it is fire ounia that heats the earth, there are no flames whereever these ounia are present.  While these ounia are spread out through the atmosphere, simply bringing them together will not cause them to make a flame as that is not the property they have been \"set\" to express.  Hence why in Fireball, one must gather the ounia together and activate the property that creates a flame.  While I am not denying that fire ounia are present in the air, as they are present in everything, they do not work in the manner in which you describe.  Finally, remember that ounia are not fuel like wood, but more like atoms in the sense that they each have a specific set of properties that, when the oun is rearranged by a mage, are expressed differently.

About the \"keeping fire burning while its away from its source\" I never said I had qualms with fire burning while hurtling through the air, as that principle is an established fact.  What I was trying to say, and I apologize for being misleading, is that because you are an elementalist, does not mean you have absolute dominance over an element.  For example, just because an earth mage is able to control the element of earth does not mean he could cause a rock to levitate and move it with his mind.  This is because he does not control the earth, but the ounia that make it up, and because of this he is given specific limitations.  A mage can only activate certain properties and abilities acessible through the car\'all and ounia pertaining to his element.  Thus is why a wind mage would be able to control the movement of your flame by the way you suggest, or control the path of a projectile.
Jairo Koshi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2007, 10:10:47 »

Alright, that's great. Make a point. Is my casting process wrong or what?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2007, 10:12:33 by Jiro » Logged
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2007, 02:17:44 »

The bit on elven myths is not outdated as far as I know. It's not of much importance to Ximaxian magic however because, while based on elven myths, Ximaxian magic is quite different from it.

I think the main problem is that you try to do too much with it. While creating, shaping, moving, adding,... fire are all things a (battle) mage could do after one another it's not really advisable to do it all with a single spell, but rather with several spells tied to one another. You could create a wall of fire to protect yourself and then use the wall as source for a fireball for example.

Creating/destroying fire and moving/reshaping it are two different things btw. The first is Sphere I and the second sphere II. If you want to do both at the same time you could use Sphere III, but that's more complicated.

If I could give a suggestion (you don't have to follow it if you don't want of course): why not change to spell to a rewrite of Flame Control (should be sphere II, movement of Fire Ounia: shaping flames, gathering smaller ones into a bigger one, stuff like that)? The one on the site is outdated and it will probably require the least change from your current entry.

@Drasil: any reason why you use the '\' all the time? It's hard to read texts full of them.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]