Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Template for Priests  (Read 2914 times)
Takór Salenár

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 April 2007, 22:56:38 »

Guidelines on How to Design Priests

• Name

Cleric of ‚insert god or godess‘, other names?

• Overview

Give a general overview on the clerics. When you look at this overview you should see at once

- the main characteristic of these priests
    - their duties
    - important differences to other priests

• Appearance

Please give a description of the clerics. What do they wear in private, what in public, what at ceremonial occasions? Do they have special colours? (Their god‘s colour? Look at the god‘s entries!

• Symbols

Do they use the symbols of their god/goddess or do they have something in addition?

• Personality

Is each cleric different or do they have some comman features, be it that they are especially friendly, good to animals or cold and repellent?

• Abilities

What are they able to do after they have reached priesthood?

• Apprenticeship

When starts apprenticeship, when do they learn to achieve special levels of their education, when are they able to do certain tasks?

• Duties

What are their daily/weakly/annual duties? What are apprentices allowed to do?

• Importance

Why are especially these priests important for society ?

• Orders and Sects

Are there any orders or sects and what are the differences to the main priesthood. A paragraph or two should be enough, otherwise you need an extra entry.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2007, 23:13:20 by Takór Salenár » Logged
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2007, 00:12:57 »

Maybe add a bit on territory (where you can find them) and organization (hierarchical structures and such)? Personality seems a bit odd to have a whole section for it (IMHO). Perhaps that could be merged with appearance?
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2007, 00:27:11 »

wouldn't this make more sense as a template for a cult, e.g. "the cult of Queprur". It seems strange to have entries on priests, they are only important in context of the wider religious picture.
Takór Salenár

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2007, 05:11:38 »

Thank you both for your comments.

Marvin, I will integrate yours.
Rakshiri, I pondered for several days about your comment, but think it is not practicable, not if you want to describe them as close as I intend to. Of course all is linked together, but I can well describe a priest without having to mention the whole ritual of a cult.
I will add a template for cults as well though. Of course you will find partly the same information in a description of priests and the cult related with them
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2007, 08:21:54 »

Thank you both for your comments.

Marvin, I will integrate yours.
Rakshiri, I pondered for several days about your comment, but think it is not practicable, not if you want to describe them as close as I intend to. Of course all is linked together, but I can well describe a priest without having to mention the whole ritual of a cult.
I will add a template for cults as well though. Of course you will find partly the same information in a description of priests and the cult related with them

Why would you want to make a detailed description of a stereotype/class of a person? What do you want to write about them so closely?

It seems rather impractical to me to make an indepth, detailed description of something without knowing what the big picture is supposed to look like. It's like beginning to describe the TV Series Star Trek by beginning with the description of the responsibilities of a redshirt.

This is bound to result in inconsistent entries as detailed indepth description come before even general concepts of something exist. But maybe I'm not yet understanding your general aim.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2007, 01:01:54 by Rakshiri » Logged
Takór Salenár

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2007, 14:41:03 »

Why would you want to make a detailed description of a stereotype/class of a person? What do you want to write about them so closely?

Well, the need to do priests was initially  mainly a demand from the RPG board. But it is and will not be the stereotype class of person you think they are (What do you have for a picture of priests ;) ) I can only say, please wait till I have finished Queprur's Priests (half done) and then you will see where to I aim. I don't think that there will arise big inconsistencies (if the research is done well and the commentators watch out), for none of the cults of the twelve is described yet and those who do will have to look into the priests entries if they already exist.

BTW, I dislike quotes, I can't read them without enlarging them :(
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2007, 01:04:47 »

Sorry, messed up the tags...

But a priest follows the principles of his sect or religion not vice versa. You have to establish the organization and rites anyway if you want to explain why the priests act/think/look the way they do and these are actually more important than the priests.
Takór Salenár

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2007, 20:18:55 »

Errm, well, no. Partly.

One  needs to set some links, sooner or later.
Rakshiri, we have the same old problem we had before, you can't look into my head and i can't explain properly, what i want. The only way out is if I put this template up, finish the first priest  (Queprur) and maybe a second (probably Baveras' Aids) and then we discuss these things? Of course it would be better to have the rituals first, but I don't need to describe them in detail to do the priests. I need to have a concept of the organisation, but not all details (at least i think so, I have not yet written this part.)
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2007, 21:30:23 »

I indeed still don't get it. Why are you stuck with writing about priests when from a worldbuilding view the nonexisting rites, tradtions and organization would be more important? Check your template. All of the stuff you attribute to priests are actually aspects of their cult, not of the individuals worshipping in there.

General stuff
#  Name, # Overview,

Relevant to the cult/organization itself.
# Appearance, # Symbols, # Apprenticeship, # Duties, # Importance, # Orders and Sects

Stuff depending on the position of the priest within the cult. (closest to belonging in a priest entry)
# Personality, # Abilities

I'm not saying you shouldn't develop religion entries but that if your focus is 90% on the organization, the cults etc. anyway then don't make a priest entry but a cult entry!
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2007, 00:11:44 »

Cult might not be the best word to use here...

Anyway, it doesn't look like this is meant to be a template for individual priests, but for entire sects.  Takor's replies seem to suggest that this is the case too. 

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2007, 02:11:03 »

Cult might not be the best word to use here...

Anyway, it doesn't look like this is meant to be a template for individual priests, but for entire sects.  Takor's replies seem to suggest that this is the case too. 

Yes, my point exactly.

Concerning "cult". The Roman worship of "Sol Invictus" (Jupiter) was called one cult of many in the Roman Pantheon as was the worship of the many representations of Zeus for the Greek.  In polytheistic and ancient context this term is used for the specific rites, customs and clerical origanization of one god out of the many. Other term might work as well, this is just one that is very fitting for the Santharian religion.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2007, 02:15:09 by Rakshiri » Logged
Takór Salenár

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2007, 04:36:23 »

I think that putting the priests and how the people believing in this religion are celebrating their god is just too much. I tried to come up with a template for cults, but realised, that we probably need two - one for "common" cults like those of the twelve gods where we describe the festivities like easter, Christmas etc  and one for sect-like cults, for there is  the need to say more about the believers. The believers in the twelve gods are common people, the Blood Eye Cult people not.

for your info - I looked at the cults we have and they are organised like that:

Cults

THE CULT OF CHADDERELOMACH

DESCRIPTION - APPEARANCE - PRACTICES - SYMBOLS
MYTH/LORE - IMPORTANCE

THE CULTS OF MARI

DESCRIPTION - ORGANIZATION - WORSHIP - MAIN CULTS

THE BLOOD EYE CULT

APPEARANCE - COAT OF ARMS - TERRITORY - PEOPLE - HOUSING - CLOTHING - DIET - WEAPONS - OCCUPATIONS - ORGANIZATION - PRODUCTION/TRADE - NATURAL RESOURCES - RELIGION - FESTIVALS - HISTORY

THE TRUE VISION CULT

APPEARANCE - COAT OF ARMS - TERRITORY - PEOPLE - HOUSING - CLOTHING - FOOD - WEAPONS - OCCUPATIONS - GOVERNMENT - FESTIVALS - HISTORY

I don't want to set up a complicated template for cults now, but want to get the priests done for the RPG, so I will for now just finish what I have above and integrate the comments. I don't think it is a good idea to have both in one, it makes the entries too long. Linking both tightly together has to suffice. Maybe it would be better to have the cult first, but it is not necessary i think, I didn't feel the need to describe the festivals while writing on one priest-type.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2007, 06:46:13 »

I didn't know how to take Rakshiri's advise, so I uploaded the corrected version to have at least something, even if it is not satisfactory. Maybe at a later time this can all be restructured.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]