Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Sauramedon/ South-Western Nybelmar/ Undefined  (Read 26271 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2007, 18:12:12 »

Hmmm, well... There are various elements that make this one quite fantastical - the thing about flying, no nose etc. It's still somewhat difficult to picture, as the description is not yet complete (shape?, tail?, comparable to what kind of beast?). Is it more a lizard, a pig, or does it have something of a bird when you speak about a beak? Would it look more like a dinosaur of some sorts? So at the moment that's somewhat difficult for me to determine in which direction that goes.

I could theoretically imagine these beasts living somewhere in certain parts of Sarvonia, but it has some very fantastic aspects that might appear a bit off. With a weight of 2 pygges this would make them a good source of food for humans for example, doesn't it? And the fact that it can fly around somehow would have some impact on the environment. If it's more dinosaur-like then it might better fit to not so civilized regions, like parts of Nybelmar somewhere. Would this be a possible beast for Nybelmar, Mira? What do you think?

"Mythical" would mean that they don't actually exist, but are said to have existed or that they never existed, but are parts of stories, fairy-tales and such. This is always an option, then you'd of course have to describe it that way, more in a narrative way that is, not so technical with size and weight and stuff - know what I mean?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2007, 19:58:22 »

I think it could be placed in Nybelmar. We have vast amounts of land with only a name, and often not even that. For instance, the Naezshan Zhunith (the Desert of Zhun), where the Doimo Nomads live could be a suitable place (They are even called 'Bronzies!'). Or possibly one of the mountain ranges.. if they would be quite dependant on the mountains, they could even be placed in the current Nybelmarian focus region; Kaerath, where Coren needed a reason for the Mushroom People not to spread out through the mountains south of the Plains of Kaerath. (for details, see this topic

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2007, 21:02:08 »

I will try my best to get a sketch in. :) Though I still don't know how to color my sketches, it will give people an idea of it.

And being living bronze, I doubt they'd be a source of food for humans. I'd better make it clear that bronze isn't just their color, it's what they're made of. Though maaaayyybeeee...they could be caught and melted into weapons or something? lol A bit weird, I know, but it's an idea.

And I'll change it to they have a nose, it's just that people can't see it. I will alsi remove the part about it being able to fly. What other things seem fantastical? Other than the pattern, which I really want to keep.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2007, 23:25:02 by Alassiel Telrúnya » Logged

Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2007, 23:44:26 »

Okay, I've finished everything (I think) except for its territory and diet. I'm working on those.

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2007, 23:49:46 »

Isn\'t this supposed to be mythical because of its fantastic abilities large ecological impact?  If so, you need to treat the beast as though it doesn\'t actually exist.  Clauses such as \"it is thought,\" or \"Rumor has it\" should be inserted quite frequently throughout the article.
Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2007, 23:51:29 »

I'm still not sure whether the others definitely wanted it to be mythical, so I didn't change it. It will be fairly easy to change certain phrases once I've got it sorted.

Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2007, 02:56:12 »

So....who thinks it would be best to have this as a Mythical Beast?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 23 April 2007, 03:27:04 »

Well, Alassiel, you know, with your specification that you want to have the beast definitely made of true bronze (!), which would be a copper alloy, this indeed adds another fantastical element here and it doesn't look as if it would be a very realistic beast in this case. We go for realism in Santharia or Caelereth if you want to put it in Nybelmar for example, but don't exaggerate with the fantasy touches we try to add to our concepts. This one's particularly weird, and I fear it becomes too weird to be workable as you've defined it with the beast practically being a living mineral - there's also no real explanation why our thingy should consists of bronze, or?

So I'd reconsider here and make it more probable and normal - or go for the mythical concept, but then you'd need to change large parts of the entry and come up with a story behind it.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 April 2007, 03:30:12 »

I'll make them nice and furry, with normal red blood running through their veins. rolling I wasn't joking. I'll start now.

EDIT: I've now changed them from living metal to furries. Is it okay?
« Last Edit: 23 April 2007, 03:45:29 by Alassiel Telrúnya » Logged

Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 April 2007, 05:15:45 »

For me, it looks like a cross between a deer, a bird and a cat. With two tails.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 24 April 2007, 00:32:12 »

This is changing faster than i can comment on! For starters, 'anywhere in the south-west of Nybelmar' is to widespread ( this creature needs to be rare/limited at the very least.)

And i wás going to link this with the golem entry, but as it's no longer made of animated metal, i suppose that's no longer needed.

Appearance
Thingies are furry, and they are slender but powerful creatures which have no teeth, and they have thin, sharp bronze beaks about a fore long, and ears that look like an elf's on either side of their head. Thingies’ eyes are a glittering jet black. They are like human eyes; some females even have eyelashes! (odd.. why is it that only some have them?) They are fairly big; an adult Thingy is approximately two pygges in weight and a ped in height when it is on all fours. The average adult Thingy measures about two peds long. Thingies have two furry tails, measuring half a ped long, which don't do anything except wave about in the air. no extra appendages without reason please..

Thingies only come in one color; bronze. They have a very short life span; they only live to a maximum of 60 years. Thingies are animals, so 60 years is quite a long time.. They are born with an entirely smooth bald head, but as time goes by, fur will eventually grow there, and a black pattern will form on their heads. The more knowledge they gain, the more complicated the pattern will grow. Males who have very complicated patterns are usually more successful in getting mates. This is also used for identification.

People have argued over how they breathe, since they appear to have no nose. In reality, they have six small slits, which are very hard to spot, at the back of their heads which serve as noses. [=color=red] they cannot breathe through their mouth?[/color] They are most comfortable on all fours, though they have no problem standing up on their hind legs. They have padded paws

Special Abilities
Some people believe that Thingies are capable of understanding the basics of any language, though not too fluently; they are born with that gift. They seem to understand Styrásh better than any other language. Thingies appear to be more intelligent than most other beasts up to a certain point. Their eyesight and hearing are very sharp; they can easily detect the slightest rustle of bushes, or a snap of a twig many peds away.

Territory
To Be Defined

Habitat/Behaviour
Thingies are often mistaken for carnivorous creatures that kill and eat people. In fact, Thingies are completely herbivorous, and are very gentle unless they feel that their eggs or themselves are in danger. They are sociable creatures; they are friendly towards most animals and people, and are often seen play-fighting with each other until they are too old to play-fight anymore. When they are not play-fighting, Thingies always carry a dignified, majestic air about them…when meeting a Thingy, people often feel as if they have to bow to them.

Thingies love heat; and are always at their most active when it’s a hot day. They tend to try to play with fire a lot, often getting themselves burnt in the process. Once they are healed, however, they will still love the flames which burnt them. Whenever the weather is cold, they fall asleep and do not wake up until the temperature is above a certain level.
at what age do they stop playing? How do they get fire to play with?

Diet

Mating
Thingies normally breed immediately after the winter season has passed. Usually, the female Thingies just laze about, while the males try to get their attention by crawling around on the ground with the pattern on their heads in full view of their desired female.

If a female becomes interested in a male’s pattern, she will go over and inspect it. If she is satisfied, she will rest a paw on the pattern, and the mating will begin. However, if the female decides otherwise, she will give a loud, piercing shriek and cuff the male’s head with her paw. The rejected male would then crawl away pitifully.

During the mating process, the male would be transformed from a humble creature to the aggressor. The female would not protest; after all, she was the one who had chosen him.

Not quite there yet. Keep on imagining, make these creatures come to life in your mind!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 April 2007, 00:49:54 »

Okay, I understood everything except the 'extra appendages' bit. Are two tails not allowed?

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 April 2007, 01:02:27 »

They're only allowed if you have a good reason for it. Why would they have two tails? Does it help to balance even more, do they do something with it? That kind of thing. If there's no reason for it, nature wouldn't have given it to them ;-)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 April 2007, 01:09:04 »

Cool. Sorted! cool I'm still improving it.

Alassiel Telrúnya
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 April 2007, 04:22:49 »

Do I need to add more detail to the sections which I have finished? And is there any kind of edible plant which grows well in the Desert of Zhun, which could serve as Food for the Thingies?
« Last Edit: 24 April 2007, 04:45:16 by Alassiel Telrúnya » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]