Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Light; Level 2 Spell; Fire Magic (Revision)  (Read 3682 times)
Mahvalan the VIII

Gained Aura: 0

Pyrotechnic Wanna-be Santharian

View Profile Homepage
« on: 22 April 2007, 11:30:11 »

Name: Light

School: Fire Magic

Level: 2

Spell Effect: Light is often needed; but there isn’t always anything to light. In such situations this spell will comes in quite handy, as it makes things glow without radiating heat. The mage has to touch the item he wants to make glowing; beside from this there are almost no restrictions. The mage can light up anything he wishes, but there are limitations. A large object is harder to light and keep lit. For lower level mages who have just learned this spell, they need to be in contact with the object, which is not normally a problem, since the mage's hand is often used as the target. Higher level mages just need a line of sight unless the target is more than a mile away. What's roughly a mile in santharian measures?

Another use for this spell, although not used often, is lighting up a person. In a battle, this spell has been used to make the leader of an army seem to glow with godly light and be favored by the gods. This affect was used occasionally in the beginning of the War of the Chosen, where the mages claimed to be favored by the gods, and often were.

Casting Procedure: The mage has to be within range for his given level while saying the formula. Doing so increases the properties of the fire ouns in the object, making it glow with magical light. This is done by strengthening the links of the fire ouns, a sphere I spell trait. Is that right?

Magical Formula: Qual’oh, literally meaning "bright light". Does this need to stay, or should I change it to no formula?

Target: Anything, however the size of the item has something to say, as smaller things are much easier to lit than larger things. The most common target however is the caster’s hand, or the end of a staff.

Reagents: One of the most common reagents used for this spell is to rub sulfur on or into the object. Doing so helps lower level mages cast the spell, and helps higher level mages if they want to cast over a mile. This can become complicated of how to get the sulfur on before casting. The object itself is considered a reagent because it is required to cast the spell. More fire ounia in the object helps the caster make the light, although less ouns are required for the higher levels.

Magical School: Elemental Magic, Fire School

Spell Class: Pyrification (Physical Respresentation of Incandescence, Sphere I)

Range: The range is the same as in the casting. Lower level mages need to be in contact with the target, and higher level mages need to be within a mile. These ranges are without reagents. With a reagent of sulfur rubbed on the object, a low level mage can have the item up to a ped away, while the higher levels can have the target over a mile away, although how much farther is not known by the chronicler.

Casting Time: 5 blinks

Duration: The spell will last a very long time without much work. Time durations usually only apply to mages just learning the spell. Level 2 mages can sustain this for half an hour when they first learn it, and all other levels up to level 5 can sustain the spell around 2 hours. Levels above that can pretty much keep up the spell indefinitely. As this is a Sphere I spell, it requires constant concentration. Luckily, the spell is so simple, it can be easily kept up for the amounts of time said above. I basically just built on what was already here and tried to make it more realistic.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures: If the caster has a clear crystal he can make it glow; then the light will be focused trough he crystal and shine stronger. More capable casters tend to fill a crystal with fire ounia to use for themselves as a light, or to sell to lower level casters. As the ounia don't die, if a caster can keep the spell going they have a near infinite source of light.

I've started making my own revisions, and have my own notes and questions written by the stuff.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2007, 03:00:15 by Mahvalan the VIII » Logged

"Behold my innner flame. Beware my wrath. The passions and rage of Fire is my own." - Mahvalan the VIII
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2007, 12:56:37 »

Have you seen this spell?  Not exactly what you describe, but seems to serve the same purpose as your spell.   

Name: Light Ball; Ball of Light/Fire; etc.

School: Fire Magic

Level: 1-2 I'd say level 3 or 4 based on what you've written. 

Overview: Light Ball is a basic spell for giving light. The mage is essentially creating a globe of fire magic No, that's not the right way to put it.  Simply saying it creates a ball of light will do.  to light a small area. It is one of the first spells a fire mage would learn, due to its usefulness. It is an exceptional favorite for reading in the dark, or when any light is needed.

Spell Effect: The mage gathers fire car'all ounia together into the shape of a globe. The result is a sphere that, at the higher levels, requires little effort to keep in shape. A lower level mage will have to find more car'all ounia occasionally to fuel it.  There's no need to add more ounia.  Ounia don't get 'used up'. 

I see that you're using car'all where ounia would be a much better term.  Perhaps you'd done your research on some spells that were too old?  We only came up with the term ounia a couple of years ago. 

Anyway, it seems to me that this spell is supposed to be Sphere 2 (due to the gathering of ounia).  This is why I had suggested level 3 or 4. It's only until then that it's taught.  However, I'm not sure how well Sphere 2 will work for what you want here.  This spell is another Sphere 2 spell that produces light, but it does so in the form of a bright flash, which is more typical of Sphere 2 (gather, then release).  While what you suggest isn't impossible, I do find it slightly impractical. 

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2007, 01:43:03 »

I think Sphere I would be the easiest for this: augmenting fire properties in the air to create light (so no gathering required). It wouldn't even have to be a sphere emitting light but it could even be just an area lighting up. It would require constant concentration though (but then so are Sphere II spells), so inexperienced low level mages wouldn't really be able to read or study while casting.
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2007, 01:55:13 »

That's pretty much the Light spell, Marvin.  Revision, perhaps?  ;)

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2007, 02:03:58 »

Heh, forgotten we already had a light spell :) Revision is possible I guess, given how it's one of the outdated spells.

Edit: it's even listed as needing an update :)
Mahvalan the VIII

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2007, 02:56:41 »

I think maybe I'll switch this to revising the current Light spell. I had missed the one that was there. Sorry 'bout that.

Is there a thread that I need to sign that says I will be revising the spell? I don't know tons about magic in Caelereth, but I am interested in it. I'll look through some of the spells that are marked "Up to Date" for guidance.

"Behold my innner flame. Beware my wrath. The passions and rage of Fire is my own." - Mahvalan the VIII
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2007, 03:01:46 »

Er, no, I don't think there's anywhere to 'sign up' for something like that at the moment.  Just stating your intention somewhere (like here) should be good enough for now. 

There's also a guide or two you could use for reference, by the way. 

Mahvalan the VIII

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2007, 07:38:00 »

Yeah. This is a revision. I'm not entirely sure how to work this, so I'm gonna go with the flow and not blow anything up. Do I have the right posticon? It said "Addition to entry", so I though it was right.

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2007, 08:16:49 »

Moderators put that up.  You still have to go through the exclamation mark.
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2007, 12:06:04 »

I think that the + posticon works a little differently on this board.  But in any case, I don't think revisions are considered additions to an entry. 

colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2007, 20:54:02 »

Just a quick coment, ummm I think the flameball was probably thought up when somebody read a certain Dragonlance book where Fizban summoned it.

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Mahvalan the VIII

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2007, 06:33:14 »

Huh?  huh yes, I have read the Dragonlance books, but my original idea, which became a revision, was just to make a sort of floating lamp or flame.

Thanks to whoever switched the posticon for me. I am doing a lbrary entry also, and between that and my non santharia life I will be trying to work on this. Don't worry, though. I will finish this and not just abandon it.

Mahvalan the VIII

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2007, 10:36:22 »

I've made some revisions I thought logical. These may or may not work, depending. I would gladly welcome more comments. I am waiting for comments on the story I mentioned I am working on, so I have more time to work on this. When I am done with this, I will either make a new spell or revise another. I am also going to go over the stuff on making entries so I am not completely clueless.

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2007, 19:36:33 »

For the lower level mages who have just learned the spell, the object needs to be within 1/2 a ped for the light to be sustained. The higher levels can have it up to 3 peds, and a few extremely powerful have been known to light an object even 10 peds away.

I would change it to beginning mages needing contact with the object and high level mages only needing a line of sight.

Casting Procedure: The mage has to be touching the target while saying the formula. What happens, more or less, is that the ouns of fire are increased, and in doing so, the object glows and gives light to the caster and the nearby area.

I would go for sphere I and simply have the mage increase the properties of the ounia (this is done be strengthening the links), not the ounia itself.

Reagents: The item that makes this spell useful - it does not require additional reagents. I'm guessing that this spell probably actually does need reagents. Is there a listing of reagents, or should I find a way to make some up (a.k.a. use magather or another burning stone) Wait! how would "rubbing sulfur on the object to be lighted helps the duration of the spell" be?

Maybe something about the medium could be said here? Are all objects equally easy to cast the spell on? I'd imagine that (if it would be sphere I) objects with much fire ounia present might be easier to cast the spell on/generate more light.

Spell Class: Enchantment. Huh? Is this irrelevent now?

If you go by sphere I it would be something like 'Pyrification, Physical Respresentation of Incandescence (Sphere I)'. See the Fire magic entry for the names.

Range: The caster has to be in contact with the target - after it is lit it must be kept in half a ped’s range for the lower level; up to 5 peds for the skilled mages. If the target is moved out of this radius the light dies out.

I'd say the range for upkeeping and lighting would be the same (see comment on duration).

Casting Time: 5 seconds

We use blinks instead of seconds.

Duration: The spell will last a very long time without much work. Time durations usually only apply to mages just learning the spell. Level 2 mages can sustain this for half an hour when they first learn it, and all other levels up to level 5 can sustain the spell around 2 hours. I basically just built on what was already here and tried to make it more realistic.

I would have this spell sphere I as I said before. Sphere I requires constant concentration to last though. As soon as the mage stops casting the spell would die out fast. More experienced mages should be able to keep such a simple spell up pretty much indefinitely though.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures: If the caster has a clear crystal he can make it glow; then the light will be focused trough he crystal and shine stronger.

Just thought of something. If you were a mage capable of sphere III castings you could stuff a crystal with fire ounia and sell it to newbie mages so they would be able to use this spell with almost no effort (so they could study at nigh for example).
Mahvalan the VIII

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2007, 03:04:13 »

Wow, thanks Marvin! I'm glad for the help with some technical stuff. I'm pretty much learning as I go, as I find that the easiest way. I have integrated Marvin's comments and am ready for more. Thanks again Marvin!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]