Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Temple of Delthenoyre  (Read 13567 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 30 May 2007, 07:17:05 »

The information presented here from after the Age of Persecution (1460’s to 1520’s) is from first hand accounts that cannot be verified, and in fact are refuted by the Temple.  The information from before the Age of Persecution is from documents that were well known at the time. 

The Temple of Delthenoyre is a secret group of witches that are located in the city of Elsreth.  They are obsessed with following bloodlines, as they try to create the ultimate human, the one they call the Chuh-si-avá.  This Chuh-si-avá would have the abilities of a god, and would have loyalty to the witches.  They hope that the Chuh-si-avá will recreate the world, ridding it of all human and other races, and then recreating a race of God-men to rule the world.  The witches are a secretive sect, and no one outside, and few but the elders within the sect, know of the true plan.  Most of its members believe that they are record keepers and are searching for, not creating, the Chuh-si-avá.  The witches are treated with suspicion by outsiders, and are discriminated against.

Beliefs and History:  This Temple started as clerics who had a background in raising livestock.  It is believed that this was near 1400 b.s., near were Elsreth is now.  They noticed that to get the best offspring, superior breeding animals were needed.  It occurred to them that by using similar logic, that by using superior bloodlines that perhaps they could one day produce offspring so perfect that they would regain the god-like powers that they had lost, the Chuh-si-avá.

Over the years, the teachings began to change slightly.  At first, the Temple Clerics were merely watchers and chroniclers, keeping in-depth records of the bloodlines of many of histories most notable figures, both those considered heroes and villains.  There are great kings, powerful mages, pious clerics, all listed with their family trees.

After many years, the Temple decided that being passive was not going to produce the results that they desired.  This was mostly at the will of Delthenoyre, who was the High Priest at the time.  The Temple has since taken on his name, in reverence to the contribution he had made, in particular, that manipulation of the bloodlines would be needed.  Certain members of the Temple became charged with the tasks of producing offspring from two pre-determined bloodlines.  This provided some notable successes, among which was Diraton of Caelum (808 b.S.-789 b.S.).

As well, women were becoming more important in the Temple organization, as they were recognized as the bringers of life.  A High Priestess became the leader of the Temple, and the High Priest was relegated to the main administrator.  The Advocates and the Acolytes were created to serve both of the top positions.  By far, the most numerous of the Temples members have remained the Chroniclers.

At first, the Temple of Delthenoyre was given no more notice than any other cult or religion.  Then came Dekron the Terrible, who ruled with an iron fist until he was assassinated in 1441, then his son who came after, and it was widely rumoured that the Temple had manipulated the bloodlines to produce him.  After that, the Age of Persecution had begun, and the Temple went secretive.  There were no more openly manipulating bloodlines, and the Temple’s official stance was that they had returned to being passive chroniclers. 

This, however, is not true.  Nor did this falsehood stop the animosity and distrust that the population felt toward the temple.  They became known as “witches”.  Because of the persecution, the ultimate goal changed as well.  Not only satisfied with creating a human with god-like abilities, now they wanted this Chuh-si-avá to wipe out the current human race, save for the Temple faithful, of course, and start over.  As well, this was when the Temple began employing its own small army of bodyguards.

Appearance:  The Temple of Delthenoyre members are not dressed conspicuously.  The majority of them wear everyday clothes appropriate to their tribe or their location.  The ones who differ from this are the Temple cultists in Elsreth.  The cultists favour long flowing robes.  The High Priestess wears red, signifying the bloodlines of the Chuh-si-avá.  The High Priest wears black, symbolizing the great death that the Chuh-si-avá will bring upon the world.  The Acolytes wear green, symbolizing the rebirth of the world.  Finally the Advocates wear white, symbolizing the harmony of the world after the recreation.

Coat of Arms/Sign: The symbol of the Temple of Delthenoyre is of a blood-red sun just breaking over a horizon, its rays extending outward.  This is the belief of the witches that when the Chuh-si-avá is found, he will create a new dawn of man.

Territory: The main temple of the Temple of Delthenoyre is in Elsreth.  Here is stored the great library; a genealogical record going back nearly three thousand years.  From this headquarters, the chroniclers have traveled to every known corner of Caelereth.

Housing: The Great Temple, in Elsreth, is the headquarters of the Temple of Delthenoyre.  This large building houses the High Priestess and Priest, all the Acolytes and Advocates, and contains the library.  Far beneath, it also holds the hidden papers, the agendas, the true goals of the cult.

The outside of the Temple is done in ashlar faced granite, with marble columns adorning the large stairs to the main doors, made of heavy wood, dark and beautifully engraved with flowers and vines.  The outer grounds are well manicured, with hedgerows and flower gardens marking the footpaths that are laid out in granite cobblestones.

Stepping inside, one is amazed at the artwork that covers the walls of light coloured wood.  Paintings and tapestries, many depicting historic scenes are on display.  On marble pedestals are ivory and marble busts and other carvings, gathered from all the different lands.  Perhaps the only other collection of great works that could compare to the Great Temple is found in the Lorehold.

From the great lobby, one can enter to the east or to the west, the two halves of the great library.  Each side contains rows of shelves, adorned with both scrolls and books.

Weapons: The main body of the cult does not use weapons.  Most of these people were simple chroniclers at one time, and are therefore not skilled with weapons.  The bodyguards however, are a different story.  The assassins are skilled in the use of stealth weapons, poisons and the like, while the regular guards are dressed in leather armour, with simple shields and short swords.  The elite guards of the priest and priestess are dressed in chain mail armour, carry heavy kite shields, and carry long swords or two handed swords.

Organization:   The cult of the Temple of Delthenoyre is divided into different levels.

The High Priestess is the supreme ruler of the cult.  She is chosen from the Acolytes and rules until her death, where upon a new High Priestess will be chosen.  She has the final word on any plan or quest, or project that the witches have devised.  She is the final authority.  All decisions must be brought to her for approval.

The High Priest runs the Temple proper.  He is the one who appoints Acolytes and Advocates.  It is he who selects the body guards, consults with architects, scribes, town authorities.  In essence, he is the public face of the cult.

The Acolytes are all the high ranking females of the cult.  They are privy to the main objective of the Chuh-si-avá.  They are the studiers of the records, the ones who formulate the plans, and when needed, the ones who facilitate plans into reality.

The Advocates are the high ranking males of the Temple.  They too are privy to the objectives of the cult.  These are the scholars, the scribes, and when needed, also facilitate plans into reality.

The Bodyguards:  As the name suggests, they are the warriors that provide protection for the temple inhabitants.  Since the Age of Persecution, there has been a need for the Temple to keep a large number of bodyguards.  The bulk of them are common guards for the Temple grounds, while a small detachment are assigned to the High Priest and another detachment work as assassins, taking out any threats to the Temple.  One final detachment, the elite of the guards, is the guards of the High Priestess.  What separates them from the rest, is that they are handpicked by the High Priest, are all men, and each has been made a eunuch.  Though very painful, and sometimes fatal, it is a goal that most guards aspire to, as they command the highest respect, and are given the most luxurious amenities: the best rooms, the best food, the best armour and weapons, etc.

The chroniclers are the most numerous of the cult members.  These are the people found far and wide who chronicle the bloodlines of many individuals.  They record marriages, deaths, births, and all relative information in their region in which they live.  Nearly all of the chroniclers have no idea what it is that they are contributing to.  They are led to believe that they are keeping records for a great library.  It is from this group that the High Priest chooses his Acolytes and Advocates. 

When a new position opens up, the chronicler is called to the High Priest, where there is an extensive interview.  From this, the High Priest decides whether or not the chronicler is suited for the new position.  If he or she is deemed suited, then the High Priest shows them the extent of the library, and explains the real goal of the cult.  At that point the chronicler is watched closely.  Should the High Priest have any concerns that the chronicler will not join them enthusiastically; a quick word to the assassins eliminates the threat before it can develop.  If, however, the chronicler readily accepts the vision of the cult, then a small ceremony is performed, where the chronicler is given the new title of Acolyte or Advocate. 

It is from these chroniclers that have somehow managed to escape after having the inner secrets revealed that we have any knowledge at all about the Temple of Delthenoyre after the Age of Persecution.  The two that are most famous are Ta-Mayleen Surrinaam and Nogra Ungorra.  Unfortunately, Ta-Mayleen Surrinaam disappeared shortly after reporting her knowledge and Nogra Ungorra died in his sleep that very night!  Others have stepped forward, but their claims were so outlandish that they were discounted as mere ravings.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2009, 04:48:04 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 07:31:02 »

sorry, I looked in the people area first, but thought that is was for individuals.  My bad.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 07:56:19 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 07:47:59 »

[edit]Indeed Drasil is right, as the cults by Smith and Tarquet you refer to are both located in the People section.[/edit]
G'dday Altario. Witches! I hail mostly from the history department of the Lorehold and therefore love to see the more fantastical entries, like Mira's recent addition of the Mossmounds. This idea sounds like it has the same potential. I like the idea of this kind of cult, and suppose there could be many more like these, of course with different aims, origin and the like. I'm all for it to continue to develop it, but I'd keep a few things in mind: it should fit in the region, you'll have to consult Alysse for that I suppose. Furthermore, how far do you want the impact of this cult to reach? Are your thinking locally as in "Remusian and surrounding lands", or regionally like "the lands of the Remusian Tribe" or even larger, with the cults chroniclers present in most of the towns of Northern Sarvonia and perhaps even in the Southern part? (added as an afterthought: the number of agents should reflect the size of the region, so you could specify the number of advocates and acolytes. I have no clue now whether you think of three, ten or a hundred as the logical number for these levels.)

Once this is established, I think you have a solid basis to work this out. I have some ideas and comments in mind, for example, why would they be discriminated if the true plan is shrouded in mystery. And why do we, as Compendiumists, know the true plan, if only the inner circle of the order knows? Perhaps you should hint at rumours of the like, which are of course unconfirmed.
I like the idea of your Coat of Arms, I think it's very fitting. Perhaps, but this is a mere suggestion, you should make the sun and rays bloodred, as they seem rather focused on that.
Would a cult like this have its own assassins? Perhaps they'd hire them, I'm sure there are enough criminals suited for the job up there in the north.
Maybe they have also a level of travelling agents, as I think besides the 'regular' notation of events like marriage and birth, there will also be specific local research projects going on, which need to be established from the Temple. Or are this kind of tasks done by the Acolytes and Advocates? The idea of travelling agents is also reflected in the carvings from far and wide which can be seen in the Temple according to your current description.
I like the idea of colour patterning you've done for the different levels. Perhaps you can somehow establish why each level is signified by that particular colour? The reasons for the colours are fine, but why the high priestess red and the high priest black and not the other way around?

All in all, I really like the concept and the idea, I just hope to point out several things you can use in your brainstorm. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 07:51:16 by Gean Firefeet » Logged

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 08:31:16 »

I'll try to address a couple of your questions here.  First, thank you for the support.  I think this could be a nice layer to add to the fabric of the land; a subtle evil, rather than an overt threat.

First, the region.  I'm not entirely sure I like Remusiat for this.  It might be better suited further south.  Though, I might need suggestions for a suitable locale.

Second, I'm thinking that this cult can be pretty widespread, as it is a subtle organization.  They are mostly watchers and chroniclers, though they will interfere in some events. (try to disrupt marriages, try to match people, etc, which I will explain in the entry) 

Third, the secret plan.  I was wondering how to work that myself.  They believe that through careful manipulation of bloodlines, they can somehow develop a mortal god, born of human parents but with the powers of a god.  (I will explain in the entry how they believe they can do this)  How do I create a cult that is secret without being omnicient?  Rumours would work, perhaps.  It is these rumours that have most people fearing the cult, though they profess themselves to be good.

The rest of your comments are more entry driven than idea driven, so I will address them once I'm sure that I can go forward on this.  BTW, is it you that CAN give me permission to go ahead??  Is there a certain person, or is this something a majority of votes will decide??  So far I've only worked on smaller entries.  This one will be much bigger than those previous works.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 09:15:34 »

Well, Talia is the moderator of the Religions forum, so it will need her approval, too, but I think it is a good idea--we should have more religious diversity.

Gean is right--your information is a bit too specific for outsiders.  Maybe one of the chroniclers being considered for Acolyte didn"t like the ideas, but escaped from the assassins and fled to New Santhala?  Perhaps she was befriended by a researcher and gave them the information?  That would make a great story...

Why don"t you wait on completely developing this until we hear from Talia. then if she gives you the go ahead, go for it!  We should hear from her in a couple of days, I imagine.

Anyway, I"ve got plenty to do, so talk to you later.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2007, 12:16:16 »

The only thing I DON'T like about this is that it has a bit too many parallels with Frank Herbert's Gene Besserit.    Perhaps if you simply avoid the whole 'breeding' for the perfect person and make them record keepers waiting for their messiah?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2007, 01:45:13 »

Well, I did read that book about 20 years ago.  I believe they were the Bene Gesserit, if my memory serves.  Yes, there are some similarities, but there are many differences as well.  I do not believe men were involved in that book; as well they were a powerful organization, which my cult is not, at least not openly.

As there are many things in Santharia that are based on RL (plants and animals, including the Wison I have been working on) , as well as many from fiction, I shouldn’t think this as too big a problem if I make certain that it is Santharized and fundamentally different than Frank Herbert’s work.  Remember, this entire world is based on the works of JRR Tolkein.  It has been Santharized, but it was from ideas garnered from there.
“High fantasy in the style of Lord of the Rings of JRR Tolkien“  “Let's heed the legacy of JRR Tolkien and his world creation...“  Two quotes from the Santharian Dream home page.

In short, my cult was inspired by the book, but are not a copy of the book.  It has been so long since I read the book, that I don’t think I could copy it anymore. (David Lynch’s screen version notwithstanding).  I’m hoping you will let me develop it a bit more so that you may see that it can be incorperated into this world and stand on its own.  If you take out the master plan that they are trying to accomplish, and make them simple chroniclers, then you take away that multi level dynamic that I’m trying to instill.  You neuter them to a great extent, and there is not much point to their existence.  Too much is black and white; good vs evil.  I thrive on shades of grey, and I’m hoping that you will let me add this bit of colour here.

The waiting for the messiah could be what the chroniclers believe, as they are not privy to the master plan.  But, I would like to keep the master plan; to be able to keep a bit of danger in their existence.

I'm hoping you will allow me this chance.

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2007, 05:45:25 »

While I agree with Altario that so far there are some fundamentals that look different from the Bene Gesserit, I admit that I see the parrallels strongly between them.

Hahzur Atau=Kwisatz Haderach
The Weapon chocies seem to be similar as if I remember correctly the Bene Gesserit are not a blunt force group.
The idea of them being Witches is very similar to the stereotype held by some that the Bene Gesserit are Witches. "The witches are treated with suspicion by outsiders, and are discriminated against." That sounds familiar too.
The hierarchy also sounds familiar in ways, but that could be just me.

I was actually thinking about something like this myself. If you get it approved Altario and need any help, I would love to do so. I have some ideas on a notepad somewhere. I could PM to you if I find them and you want them.

Looks very interesting! Great Start :)

« Last Edit: 31 May 2007, 06:03:48 by Drúadan » Logged

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2007, 15:07:47 »

If I can get this off the ground, Dru, I would really like to hear your ideas. 

I have been doing more research for my cult, and have come across some ancient references that I think form a plausible rational behind the workings of my cult.  First is the idea of Apotheosis.  In a nutshell, it is the idea that men can be deified to the position of god.  The second, Euhemerus is the idea that gods were once men.  Now, we add to that mix the notion of eugenics, which had its birth at the time of Plato, as stated in this quote from Plato’s Republic and I think the notion of “breeding a god” is quite acceptable.

To this end, I am more than willing to de-emphasize any parallels to the Bene Gesserit of the Dune Series.  The Delthenoyre Witches is what I wanted them to be known as, not necessarily what the called themselves.  Witches conjure up (excuse the pun) feelings of suspicion and distrust.  The majority of people do distrust this group, though they have no concrete evidence.  I think it is important to have this discrimination, so as to not give them too much influence in the world.

The Hahzur Atau is a name I put little thought to.  If it is a reminder of Kwisatz Haderach, then by all means, let’s change it.  It need not even be a single entity, but a race of gods to quantify their goals.  The goal is to once more make gods and man equals, by either Apotheosis or reverse Euhemerus, depending on how we want them to look at the mythology.

LOL, Dru I just read your signature and find it quite ironic given the discussions we are having here.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2007, 05:51:19 »

I have reworked this entry to more Santhrasize it. Comments are welcome.  As well, Dru, I would be really interested in hearing the ideas you had.  Keep in mind that this is still far from finished, and is not intended to be uried at this point.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2007, 05:54:08 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2007, 06:32:17 »

I am having trouble deciding how to put my cult into words to describe it, with the knowledge that this is a secret society.  How do i best incorporate all these detals??

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2007, 06:48:06 »

What is the proposed location for this cult?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2007, 07:02:12 »

How can you post such an entry when I am on holidays AND not in the religions forum ;)

Well, now I have seen it! I don't have time before next week to look at it thorouhgly, but my first impression is: a good idea, but a bit randomly written together, no true format/template. I know I need to write this first... but if we see this as a "religion", maybe have a look over there into the cosmological forum.

Elsreth might be a good idea, for I thought about to make this town the clerical centre and not new Santhala.. there is one of the biggest temples of Santharia..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2007, 12:19:58 »

@ Deci:  Elsreth.  I wanted something more central than Remusiat.

@Talia:  Tee hee, I thought it was safer this way  (just kidding) rofl

Yes, it is randomly put together right now.  There I was, cruising along, writing my little heart out, not a care in the world, when.....suddenly someone asks HOW do the writers know all this IF it is a secret society.  Suddenly the wheels fell off and the whole train came to a screeching halt (so, I finished the Wison).  Now I can't get that little faux pas out of my head, and I can't seem to write anymore.

So, I need a little kick start.  And since when it comes to kicking me .......

(another joke evil)

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2007, 01:41:49 »

I might write down that cult template soon, along with the others I had forgotten to finish.

Altariom you set my brain gear in motion!
(No need to be afraid! :P)

One question - do you have any reasons for putting it in this special time and at that location?

As I said, I can't read or comment in depth till next week, but you got my attention :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]