Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Remusian Men V2.0  (Read 17366 times)
Ruil Mallister

Gained Aura: 0

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 September 2007, 09:15:37 »

Just a few more things I thought I'd point out.  First of all, I notice repeatedly that Talia mentions your lack of wood.  I double-checked the map, and there are plenty of places where one might be able to harvest wood, if you can't import it.  It's a bit of a hike over land, but the Wastes of Despair seem to have unclaimed forests to the SW.  Remusians could harvest some wood there occassionally, and that could bring them into conflict for the Sarmanians, if you're looking for reasons for war.

The peninsula of Iol (right next door to Remusiat) has the Mantle Woods, which is, again, right next door.  And, at the very tip of the peninsula is more woods.  Again, another reason to go to war. Finally, there are lots of forests in Caael'heroth (the big NW peninsula) which a powerful navy could traverse to and fro during the summer (or, an interesting note could be that that's what the navy does during the winter: go to Caael'heroth and harvest wood while the water at Remusiat is frozen).

Then, of course, if the Remusians have lots of furs or something else of some value to trade, they could simply trade for more wood.  Then, between harvesting during the summer (via water) and winter (via land) and importing, the Remusians should have enough wood to arm their armies with longbows or crossbows.  I dunno about shelter doing that, but that may work.  Just a few ideas.

Anywho!  My last idea was how you said the basement cellars tend to be really cold?  Well, if the outside is really cold, like, snow year round, then the cellars may actually be warmer than the ground floors.  And if they have a fireplace in the cellar, then it would warm the whole house.  On top of that, the last thing I can mention is that it seems weird that the Remusians have so little wood that they can't build houses out of it, but the nobles have wooden roofs?  That seems a little off, but architecture isn't my expertise, and I don't know what you could replace it with...

So yeah! I'm done here, and good luck with your work!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 28 September 2007, 17:06:44 »

Ruil, can‘t agree with you concerning the wood.

First, the question is not only - is wood available, but do we want this culture to have wood? I would say no generally (with exceptions), for wood is available in most parts of the world and it is the challenge to organise a society which has to work without that stuff which is so common elsewhere.

Then, there is not much wood around.
The wastes - I doubt you want to go there for wood if I have written them up. Well, the borders might be acceptable, but maybe the wood there is not suited for building houses?I would not see it as a reliable source of bigger amounts of wood, but we could invent a special tree only growing there which has a wood which is excellent for bows? Maybe a Remusian has invented to treat this wood in a way so that only the Remusians can do these fabulous bows?

Same with the wood of the peninsula of Jol. We don‘t know yet, what for forests this will be - apart from the distances. This mantle woods is about 500 to 700 or more strals away and I don‘t know who inhabits it. The woods at the tip of Jol? They are 3000 strals away. I think I would prefer Carteloreen or any other bones of fish or mammals if possible and much more easily available.

I added a few quick lines to the map to show you the distances:

here

(the horizontal line are the 2200 roughly)
I don‘t know, from which distance it is doable  and desirable to transport wood. I can see imported furniture and selected items from local wood in the houses of the nobles and riches though.

A word to the cellar.

I doubt people would heat their cellar - you need to have a temperate room for storing things which should not freeze, but not be too warm either. I think the oven is always on the basement, just one in a central region as described , nobles might have more,maybe even one upstairs. But all other rooms were allowed to freeze! Even bedrooms. In medieval castles often the only heated room was the women‘s room.
Poorer people may not even have a cellar, but just a hole in their floor (and a trap door) with a cave beneath to store food.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2007, 17:10:49 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 September 2007, 20:50:33 »

I do thank the two of you for the comments.  I will make a concerted effort this weekend to address these issues.
 grin

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ruil Mallister

Gained Aura: 0

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 September 2007, 03:37:30 »

Yeah, Talia is the one to go to on the topic of wood-gathering and architecture over me.  Good points to think on, I was just pointing out various ideas so that the Remusians weren't completely woodless.  I just find it odd to think of a civilization that has next to no access to wood, is all.

Good luck on your work, Altario.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 October 2007, 03:55:33 »

I have been working on this somewhat through the weekend, and I think I would like to break it up into more digestible bits, starting in order.  To this end, lets start with  Overview and Appearance.  I have made the changes and lets get this perfect before we move along to the next area.  There seems to be agreement that there is a lot to revise and consider, so this might be a better way to do it, without all of it becoming somewhat overwhelming.

When we have agreed to everything in these two sections, I will move forward to the next two sections.  The colour was remmoved from the entire entry, and now, only edits will be coloured Green.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 October 2007, 04:06:49 »

Talia, that idea you have interests me, about the Remusians being a people who traveled here in the past.  Perhaps you could expand on that?  It might be something to expand on.  Then they integrated themselves with the tribes that were here, the original Remusians, and that is why there are such differences within this culture and with this culture and the other ice tribes..

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 02 October 2007, 04:20:06 »

Actually, my brandnew idea was not as new as I had thought.
This is already written. I read the icetribes today a bit more thoroughly and also their history. Would recommend to do it as well. ;) :)

What I wanted to ask you  -  what about the Salsair festival and the graveyard, are they not finished as well? And the chariot?
« Last Edit: 02 October 2007, 04:21:50 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 October 2007, 04:30:18 »

My tablemaster partner is helping to condense the table... The graveyard, I'm STILL stumped by the gates  (your fault ;)).... and the chariot...That I think is nearly done unless anyone has more critiques on it.... and still waiting for your input on my Delthenoyre Witches cult... but in no hurry for that....  Also, weather... how do I add weather phenomenom??  I was thinking that the Remusians call the North Wind that blows through in winter and deposits large amounts of snow could be called a Zekar Wind.... just their word for it, does not have to be an official thing, but where does something like that get mentioned??

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 12

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 October 2007, 04:43:45 »

Totally unrelated point - I find it ironic that the Lady of the South is spending so much effort on the north!  :P

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 02 October 2007, 05:02:15 »

Why ironic?

Gaffin, that has historical reasons. Had you ever time to read about the society of the Shendar? If not, I would recommend it and then read the icetribes's entry - the result were the Himiko who I will post not soon, but they are growing. I have certain ideas I want to realise with them and climate is something which would affect the Wicker Islands as well. Apart from that - sometimes it is just too hot down there.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 October 2007, 08:15:17 »

This era a Kanapan population is believed to have entered the Icelands and intermixed with the people that later are to become the Remusians and Tokarians.

You know, I have read this many times, but just cuz you posed it as a question, I completely forgot about it, lol... silly me...

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 October 2007, 13:36:30 »

Not necessarily, it could be a local phenomenon, coming in off of the Bay of Calinth.... A wind from there would then be moisture filled and able to deposit large snowfalls...

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 04 October 2007, 05:20:21 »

The Remusians are one of the Ice Tribes, but they are the most advanced tribe in terms of the ability of building towns, organizing the education of their children, forming a government, enforcing the trade with the south.  They are the only tribe which actively looks out for better trading conditions with the South and is interested in closer relationship to the Santharian Kingdom.  However, they are very proud of their Ice Tribe heritage, and are trying to balance this new development with holding on to the culture that has made them unique.  The Remusians are a people in transition.  It makes for a sometimes turbulent people, a sometimes lost people, but a very fascinating people.

Appearance:  The typical Remusian has dark hair and dark eyes.  However, with the recent influx of people from the south who have “discovered” the north, differing hair and eye colors can be found, though still quite rare.  In truth, most of these new variables are found in the upper classes, as having a broader education, they have proven to be more receptive to outside influences than the common Remusian.  Common Remusians are still very insular and have a hard time accepting foreigners at all, let alone intermarry with them.

Men are typically around two peds in height, but can range from one ped , two fores to two peds, and a half fore in height.

I really would like to know, why you want such a great range in height , why so tall generally (they would compete with the Kuglimz then) Not that I would oppose them being 2 peds or more, just curious, for both entries talk about 1, 8 peds (should not be a decimal). The range thouhg is a bit  - ridiculous, you have of course always people who are not the norm.
What about a sentence or two about their body build? This hair stuff comes a bit suddenly.

Traditionaly, the warlords (minor tribal leaders) have their face shaved. The senior officers grow a moustache while the junior officers grow a moustache and a small goatee. The distinguished warriors grow a beard but they shave their moustache as a sign of honour. The rest of the warriors grow both beards and moustaches. The young men have their facial hair unshaved until the day they acquire civil rights by killing an enemy in the field of battle. Then and as a part of their warrior inauguration ritual they shave themselves and let their hair grow in order to become warriors when their hair grows again.
  Oh no, don‘t just copy this paragraph. it is enough if you say something like:
Most icetribes have  strict rules how their hair or beard is to be worn. However, thouhg the common Remusian... the upper class men have abandonned this custom and...

The common Remusian wears a beard in the style of the Ice Tribes, but upper class men have taken on a clean shaven look. The hair is often kept long, but neatly in a braided ponytail, or kept cropped short, just below the ear line.

Women are slightly shorter than men.  Long hair in the women is found quite desirable, and very few women have their hair short.
I would like to know, which women dare to be so different! 
 Single women often keep their hair in pigtails, while most married women keep theirs loose and flowing.   This is closer to the traditional way.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 October 2007, 01:00:27 »

Edits here are in my favorite colour of green.  See what you think.  If it passes muster, then I will place it in the entry section and we can move on to the next area.

The Remusians are one of the Ice Tribes, but they are the most advanced tribe in terms of the ability of building towns, organizing the education of their children, forming a government, enforcing the trade with the south.  They are the only tribe which actively looks out for better trading conditions with the South and is interested in closer relationship to the Santharian Kingdom.  However, they are very proud of their Ice Tribe heritage, and are trying to balance this new development with holding on to the culture that has made them unique.  The Remusians are a people in transition.  It makes for a sometimes turbulent people, a sometimes lost people, but a very fascinating people.

Appearance:  The typical Remusian has dark hair and dark eyes.  However, with the recent influx of people from the south who have “discovered” the north, differing hair and eye colors can be found, though still quite rare.  In truth, most of these new variables are found in the upper classes, as having a broader education, they have proven to be more receptive to outside influences than the common Remusian.  Common Remusians are still very insular and have a hard time accepting foreigners at all, let alone intermarry with them.

Men are typically around two peds in height.  Most ice tribes have strict rules how their hair or beard is to be worn. However, these traditions have started to be replaced.  The common Remusian wears a beard in the style of the Ice Tribes, but upper class men have taken on a clean shaven look. The hair is often kept long, but neatly in a braided ponytail, or kept cropped short, just below the ear line.

Their body build is very strong, due to the harshness of life.  Most have broader shoulders and a thick chest.  Average Remusians do not have a muscular build, but their musculature is toned and athletic.  Their hands are often large and calloused.

Women are slightly shorter than men.  Like the men, they have a slightly broader body frame than the average human.  Long hair in the women is found quite desirable, and very few women have their hair short.  Single women often keep their hair in pigtails, while most married women keep theirs loose and flowing.   This is closer to the traditional way.  In times of mourning, some women cut their hair short, while others shave their head completely.

Woman often have small tattoos on their faces, in blue dye derived from concentrated hrugchuk grass juice.  Dots, geometric patters, and small pictures can be seen.  Examples are teardrop shaped tattoos that run from the corner of one eye down the length of the cheek, or spiral circles on the high point of the cheekbone.  It is usually given when the women reach maturity, around 15 years old, and is a sign of beauty.

They also tend to wear simple, yet beautifully crafted jewelry.  Ear and nose rings, and finger rings and necklaces, made of such materials as gold, ivory and stone can be found.  These are given to the women from the husbands or fathers and are seen as status symbols.  The more jewelry and the more intricate the designs, the higher the social status.

The common Remusian often has very rough features, looking much older than they are.  The harsh weather and the equally harsh way of life etch itself on these people, with deep folds and wrinkles.  The upper classes are spared some of this, and therefore do not have this hard look about them.
  Return to the top

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 14 October 2007, 01:27:22 »

Could it be, that you are red/green blind?    grin

I'll have a look tomorrow!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]