Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Outdated, Misfit Spells  (Read 7809 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 August 2007, 02:45:23 »

Hmmm.. .I have been reading quite a bit in the magic section and found spells that really doesnt make any sense to me... or spells that do not fit in the current magic system:

(I do not mean to offend the developers/writers of these spells:

Solidify: Casting procedure should be updated...

Break: The Casting procedure is not specific enough on what to do with the earth car'all.

Impale: the casting procedure sounds like a vodoo spell

Animate Dead: Casting Procedure does not make sense.... Dripping a blood and uttering a a formula wouldnt
                     cause the dead to rise

Call to the Beast: This deals with the connection between a demon in the netherworld and the mage in
                         the visible world. These actually sounds more like a xeua rather earth spell because
                         it deals with connection and beside the spell is like making a demon your pet when you
                        succeed casting it or doing it.

Raise Skeleton: This also sounds more like a xeua rather than earth. Another thing like ANimate the dead, it
                      does not explain how the skeleton would "rise"

Bone Crafting: It sounds more like a xeua since your are manipulating and linking the links of a bone.
                    Another thing is that the ingredients in the casting procedure to keep the object is not
                    explained why should they be used... What property does this objects posses that helps the
                    mage to keep the object in its form even if his car'all has already left it.

Ecua:

Frantic Purification: The Casting Procedure should be rewritten to fit the current magic system.

Despirit: The Casting Procedure should be rewritten to fit the current magic system.

Summon Chasm Demon: Should be removed for a while because the way teleportation or summoning works
                                  has not been settled yet

Unbeing: I  really dont get this spell....

Fire:

Rise Flame: Casting Procedure should be rewritten to fit the current magic system

Boiling Blood: SHould be rewirtten to fit the current magic system more

Light: SHould rewritten and casting procedure should be explained... more

Grip of Malific: How does gripping an imaginary heart controls the real one... Please elaborate

Blood breaker: The Casting procedure should be rewritten

Blazing Shield: The Casting procedure needs some writing

Dark Stability: The prolonging the life of an undead creature is somewhat confusing...... The casting
                    procedure should have more details on how to use fire ounia to increase the life  of
                   an undead creature

Rays of heat: Casting procedure needs some more writing

Flame Engulfment: The procedure needs some little adjustment

Extend Life: ................. I dont get this one either

Water:

Area of Frost: Casting procedure needs some rewrite

Frost shield: The Casting procedure should be rewritten... really!

Liquidization: The Casting procedure should also be rewritten....

Water Extraction: Isnt it that dstroying the xeua between the water and the target requires ecua?

Wave: Casting Procedure should be rewritten

Freeze: Casting Procedure should also be rewritten

Kord's fever of Nightmare: Same as above.....

Spear of Frost: Casting procedure needs some editing

Call Lightning: Needs some editing

Xeua:

Magical Chain: Casting Procedure need some editing

Golem: How do you bring a something alive

Okay theres alot more but need some sleep... I'll be editing this (soon I hope)

Yeah and when I say that needs some editing, I mean because the procedure doesnt fit to the current magic system. Like the Frost shield, after you throw the reagent, an ice wall will appear....

If I am wrong kindly tell me please....
I will also add the spells that you think should be rewritten just telll me :)

Again  I do not wish to offend the creator/developers/writers of these spells.. :) 

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2007, 03:49:40 »

We already have a thread for this.  Also Shansi, sayign something is to vodoo or to metaphoric is not, IMHO, a legitimate reason for something to be re-written.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2007, 05:23:22 »

I think your trying to impose the real world to much on a fantasy world

Dripping a blood and uttering a a formula wouldn't
                     cause the dead to rise
That would be true in the real world but this is a fantasy world if we want to make a spell that does that we can.

while some of these spells may not fit well into the magic system that most of the spells we have on the sight are you should remember that Caelereth is a big disc and we have more then one magic system thus some spells may be influenced by other magic systems. Same as most languages hav e words borrowed from other languages.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2007, 14:07:33 »

I thought our magic spells should only follow ximaxian magic?
@Xerampelina: So you mean I or anyone else could write spells that is slightly related to another magic system? I mean not following the car'all , ounia, and the ximaxian principles for magic?

@Drasil: Sorry about that. I did not find any recent thread about this.
           And most of the spells I wrote above there are just that might have been written before the ximaxian system was written or before our magic system got to its current state.

My Development Schedule
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2007, 20:07:15 »

Strictly speaking magic on the disc could go by any one of several different systems. Ximaxian magic is the only one developed right now.

There is Clerical Magic, Nybelmarian (Zhunite), Kasumarii shadowmancy, which is almost hybridized, and Ximaxian. All of these are systems right, almost like the difference between Mac and Windows. The differences are in how you go about doing the same thing and how you think it happens.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2007, 21:59:01 »

So not all the spells in the magic section should be ximaxian??? I know Clerical but it has its own sub section....

My Development Schedule
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2007, 22:09:19 »

Shansi, you should understand that all of the elements have properties. These properties are aspects of certain elements, many times not the overall manifestation of the element. These effects you criticize are merely aspects related to a particular element.
Example
A property of fire is animation .... this is why flames dance. By strengthening this animation aspect of fire a necromancer then uses a corpse similar to a marionette. Causing a corpse to burn only creates a larger concentration of fire ounia, making the spell manifestation easier to accomplish.

Without an understanding of the properties of each element many things in magic may seem out of place for you. I will find you some useful links that may help you gain a better understanding of what I am saying.
Properties Discussion
Interesting Read for beginning Magi
Cutting edge but not completely fact
Ounia - A trip into the unknown with Rayne
None of the Necromancy spells would be taught in Ximax but they are explained in this way. As this is how scholars would understand their workings ...... not like a scholar would hunt down a Necromancer for an indepth study.
~Sincerely~
Cáo fá cár'tuulén:Twen Araerwen
« Last Edit: 09 August 2007, 22:57:53 by Twen Araerwen » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2007, 22:37:27 »

@Twen: You need to link to the pages directly within the mainframe (currently your links link to the mainframe), e.g. by putting the URL as the link which you see once you've opened it in a new window!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2007, 22:41:54 »

Thanks Arti! I am fixing the links now, sorry it has been awhile for me  rolleyes

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2007, 03:41:26 »

So not all the spells in the magic section should be ximaxian??? I know Clerical but it has its own sub section....

Technically, you are right. However, it is not permitted at the moment to work outside the already defined magic systems. You might be allowed to work for the less common magical theories though, but that would be up to the Master and Mistress of Magic, Marvin and Mina.. (Whoa.. that's a lot of capital M's!)

Creating new magical systems is off limits at all times by the way, although creative thinking tends to go a long way when it comes to the Development Bans.

Some rules can be bent... others, can be broken..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2007, 04:07:03 »

Thanks twen for your explanation about that necromancy spelll.....

However there are still spells that needs to be updated...

Animate Dead is an example: The casting procedure is somewhat lacking explanation. Dripping blood and uttering the formula will bring the dead to an undead sort of being... (My point is that it isnt Ximaxian magic)

But i guess not all of the magic spell in the magic section is ximaxian based? We could easily turn them all into ximaxian spell by using the principles of Car'all and ounia...

So.... should we change them into Ximaxian spell or leave them the way they are? I would really love to help but currently my schedule is tied up... If you agree to my suggestion I would proceed on changing the casting procedures of these spells to make them ximaxian (also some parts of it to fit with the casting procedure)

Thanks Everyone

My Development Schedule
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2007, 04:20:56 »

they used to be correct when seen from a ximaxian point of view.. however, the system of ximaxian magery has been altered greatly, and improved consistency wise, making many of the older spells lack important detail in the progress..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2007, 04:36:46 »

Animate Dead is an example: The casting procedure is somewhat lacking explanation. Dripping blood and uttering the formula will bring the dead to an undead sort of being... (My point is that it isnt Ximaxian magic)

Formulas, reagents, and the like are not necessary to cast a spell, they are used to aid a mage in concentrating and perhaps in energy. Think of it like constructing a building. Formulas are like blueprints. You can certainly construct a building without them, but they aid in helping you understand what needs to be done.

Reagents on the other hand are a bit more useful, though again, not necessary for higher level mages. They can offer a little bit of aid (for instance, blood will likely have a high percentage of fire oun, especially when fresh), and by converting the links connecting the blood to the dead being into soor (active), you are in a sense siphoning the animation properties of the blood and using them to aid in animating the body. Of course, as we can see, manipulating the animation properties of blood's fire oun is the realm of fire magic rather than earth, hence that spell should be changed into a fire spell.

However, you don't necessarily need the blood, since you can find fire ouns from other sources or even whatever is left in the body itself and utilize them, with proper application of will.

When the spell is updated (as it is in need of updating), such an explanation should probably be added. Spell formulas and reagents are something that have been sort of passed over as the magic system has been rebuilt, since they aren't integral to it.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2007, 04:38:41 by Fox » Logged
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2007, 04:37:16 »

So do you agree that we should recreate them to fit the current magic system???\

there are some spells that we could easily fit into the magic system... I found many ways to make them so :)

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2007, 04:38:09 »

My point exactly! The spell does not teaches the mage how to cast the spell but how to use the reagents.... so some spells really need some updating...

My Development Schedule
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]