Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Outdated, Misfit Spells  (Read 7868 times)
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2007, 04:39:08 »

My point exactly! The spell does not teaches the mage how to cast the spell but how to use the reagents.... so some spells really need some updating...

That spell along with others is already listed as in need of update in one of the stickied threads.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2007, 04:43:06 »

Oh yeah... On the whos working on what up there.......

Well I guess I was just asking for opinions because I thought they were written that way even after the system was built...

Besides I read the sticky notes and not much specific spells were written
« Last Edit: 10 August 2007, 04:46:33 by Shansi » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2007, 04:46:13 »

Most of the spells on the site are pre-Ximaxian-revision, or were written during it before it was entirely understood. All of my spells were written before the change and thus all need updating.

I'm thinking about going down the list this week and seeing what I can work on.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2007, 04:47:41 »

I added one line on my previous post...

Do you think they would mind if I also help change their spells or something (add, subtract)

My Development Schedule
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2007, 04:51:12 »

The magic folk, minus Dason are a very very very endangered species. Assuming Dasson and Mina were to dissapear we'd have a hell of a time developing things. However, developing magic at the start is generally strongly discouraged. (Try a plant.)

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2007, 04:59:05 »

I added one line on my previous post...

Do you think they would mind if I also help change their spells or something (add, subtract)

If you have a decent grip on the way magic works, then I'd say go ahead. There is nothing stopping you from starting here instead of the recommended beasts/plants (I personally started in magic. But that was when the old system was around, which was much less complicated).

I'd recommend going over all of the various works and getting it down as best as you can, then give it a whirl.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2007, 05:02:06 »

Niccoli really I mean no OFFENSE....

I like the magic section because it is easy for me to create spells, magic system,. I have tried a plant but it did not work well for me. I think my entry was "the Golden flower" but it wasnt approved because of the lack of detail...

The only thing stopping me is I dont write good but I have lots of idea I want to write. I will try my best writing the spells seeing that I will just be continuing what they started,,,

My Development Schedule
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2007, 07:13:08 »

Shansi, you need to really tread lightly with what you are saying. Rewriting someone else's entry is ..... infringement. The idea is the writers own concept .... created, written and brought to life by them. I know for certain if you attempt to rewrite/edit any of my works. I may not be listed as one of e the "Masters of Magic" but I will verse you in how magic is done here. You have any questions on ANY of my entries please feel free to state them here. If you enlighten me to mistakes I may have made, (I) will edit my own works.

My apologies if the above seems brash or harsh, but I do not take the editing of my fellow writers works lightly.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2007, 07:17:43 by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2007, 07:33:12 »

(And mind you, while Twen is not one of the Masters of Magic, she IS one of the most knowledgable Magic experts, and is one of the best spell-writers we have)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 August 2007, 07:42:08 »

Shansi, you need to really tread lightly with what you are saying. Rewriting someone else's entry is ..... infringement. The idea is the writers own concept .... created, written and brought to life by them. I know for certain if you attempt to rewrite/edit any of my works. I may not be listed as one of e the "Masters of Magic" but I will verse you in how magic is done here. You have any questions on ANY of my entries please feel free to state them here. If you enlighten me to mistakes I may have made, (I) will edit my own works.

My apologies if the above seems brash or harsh, but I do not take the editing of my fellow writers works lightly.

One cannot halt updates where they are required, however, just because it is another writer's work, especially if that writer is no longer present. Santharia is a group project, after all, and joint work is encouraged. I like to think of it like Wikipedia... an entry may be someone else's, but there's no wrong with someone else going in and changing it with more details, new and updated information, and so on.

Of course, when the writer in question is still available, it is certainly better form to ask them to update it themselves, or if you are allowed to update their entries with their permission.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 10 August 2007, 07:47:06 »

In fact, it is rule and custom that when the original writer is present, permission must be given before a rewrite is done, and the changes made are to be descided on in more or less unison.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 August 2007, 07:59:44 »

Indeed there are items in his list that are outdated. Many of these outdated entries are already taken for rewrite but others. Yet there are just as many that are listed there simply for the fact that he does not understand of what he speaks. As some of my entries are listed there .... I humbly invite him to debate my works with me. A light-hearted debate is often times helpful to both parties involved. "So I invite you to debate my entries with me Shansi. Either here or in another thread, your decision."

I recommend you read the links I gave you in my above post. Those will be some of the areas we will delve into. Then maybe in our sharing experience I will enlighten you on how Necromancy varies from Ximaxian Fire Magic. Dealing with the metaphorical fires of life to bind threads of the soul to the remnants of their physical forms, might be something that interests you.

Simple Viewpoints On Necromancy
Rayne - Purely Physical Representations
Silfer Darkflare - Purely Spiritual Representations
Artimidor and Myself - Spiritual and Physical manifestations

Maybe you could help me sort these out to find the truth? I solemnly swear to stay within the borders of Ximaxian magic in our debate on this matter. 

@Mira: "Flattery will get you everywhere, Master Mira." :)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2007, 09:13:17 by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2007, 09:55:18 »

*nods in agreement with everything Twen and Mira said*

First off, Dasson/Fox is a very rare appearance now days and, no offense to him/her(I forget which) but the system has changed considerably since his time here.

Secondly, please read before posting.  If you had done so, you would have noticed that the earth spells you mentioned(minus Impale becasue there is nothing wrong with the spell) have been addressed and their revisions have been reserved by me, the primary earth magic-developer.
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 August 2007, 13:57:10 »

@Twen: Necromancy is one of those things that is really quite hard to properly explain with Ximaxian magic, at least as far as the system is currently understood.  One of the problems, I think, is that it hasn't really been defined what 'physical' and 'spiritual' really mean.  I think Coren mentioned (long ago) that he had something to say about it, but I don't think he's said it yet. 

My own idea is that there's a 'physical plane of existence' and a 'spiritual plane of existence', and that living sentient beings (and maybe non-sentient ones too) exist in both, but most other things exist only (or maybe just mostly, I'm not sure yet) in one or the other.  Necromancy is defined as the animating of corpses, which are normally completely (or almost completely) physical.  Assuming that they are completely physical, this would mean that the necromancer is giving a spiritual existence to something non-spiritual (assuming that Animation is spiritual).  I'm not sure if that's something a mage should be capable of doing. 

With animated corpses, that's not too much of a problem, but that's not too far away from some problematic stuff.  The mind, for example, is part of a normal person's spiritual existence.  Does this mean a mage (or a group of them) could construct a mind for something that did not previously have one?  Or even a complete 'spirit'?  Is this also the same as making them 'alive', or is there more to 'life' than having a full spiritual existence? 

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2007, 19:05:32 »

Glad to hear this Mina. So what you are saying is the months I spent explaining it before was now wasted simply because "YOU" do not feel that it is right. Well I have something that is "right". A rightful goodbye that I should of never taken back. Enjoy writing all of Santh magic on your own Mina as you have already driven off every person that I gave a f___ about that participated there anyhow.
With animated corpses, that's not too much of a problem, but that's not too far away from some problematic stuff.  The mind, for example, is part of a normal person's spiritual existence.  Does this mean a mage (or a group of them) could construct a mind for something that did not previously have one?  Or even a complete 'spirit'?  Is this also the same as making them 'alive', or is there more to 'life' than having a full spiritual existence?
Maybe if you had read what was written and discussed on YOUR magic forums you might fathom the answer to this. Or would you like an education? Ehh nvm, you would probably ignore that discussion as well. Peace .... out.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2007, 19:14:35 by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]