Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Marmarra?  (Read 3723 times)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« on: 17 August 2007, 00:45:06 »

I, having achieved membership (finally) would like to request permission to begin a project centred around the development of Marmarra. Some of my ideas for this project include:

Marmarra- City Itself

Witch Queens- Various Witch Queens of Marmarra, including how they left their mark on the citystate

Kogian Five/Kogian Households- Individuals and Bloodlines who have high place in Marmarran society, similar to nobility

Sanryu Manipulation/Blood Magic- A form of magic that concentrates on using the body's inner power to increase physical attributes, as well as in rare cases conjure remarkable feats

Red Sisters- Group of female Sanriers (someone who uses blood magic) who have heavy influence on Marmarra- also believe they are Marmarra's true protecters- Bear grudge with Witch Queens- Hated by Witch Queens, but feared for history (Since Mistress of Red Sisters defeated one of the Witch Queens in a to-the-death Duel)

Marmarran 'Secret Police'- Believed to be agents of the Witch Queen. An institution started by one of the supposedly dead Kogian five.

Marmarran Sealing- Involves symbols and runes applied to a persons body, granting them abillities as well as oppurtunities to be used in certain ways by the applier of the seal

Various Marmarran Outposts

Warshades- Marmarran Necromancer's who have 'absorbed' dark spirits which allows them to perform various inhuman acts- such as 'Shadow Running' and 'Inami's Tongue'

Illusionaries- A group of people gifted from birth with the ability to affect the senses of anyone they make eye contact with- Used as Marmarran Ambassadors to Zhunite Nations- Mention Illusionary genocide

Various other Sanrier groups- Marmarra Sanrier Institute, Raiyorn Children, Crimson Reader's

(Really Coren's Idea) Daedhirian Teachers- The rumour that the first Witch Queen taught the Daedhirians the secret to their immortality- Suggests Daedhirian magic is lesser form of Marmarran magic

PLEASE NOTE- I need input from Coren to explain Marmarra's relation with other states and nations

ANOTHER NOTE- I am open to input on this project- in fact I welcome it with open arms

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2007, 03:14:19 »

Personally I have no objections that you can start on Marmarra-related stuff, you have proven to know your way around in Caelereth, so why would I make it unnecessarily difficult for creative minds to go ahead?

Though of course some more explanation might be needed on magic and stuff. At least some members will require that before you can start, and as for witches there are other experts. But my trust lies in you, that you'll get something decent done in this respect, Decipher, definitely :)  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2007, 03:39:36 »

Thanks alot Art!

I would just like to point out- Witch Queen is just a title- They do in fact practice a form of Marmarran Necromancy...

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2007, 09:00:43 »

How do you understand the trm "witch"?  (Witch queen)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2007, 17:40:19 »

TBH I never named them the Witch Queens- This has been their longstanding title since before I even came here...

I do know that Santharia has 'Witches' which fit a certain profile/critera- what exactly I dont know- but I am quite sure 'Witch Queens' aren't what a Santharian would call a 'Witch'...

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2007, 01:36:40 »

This looks interesting (especially the connections with Inami). I wouldn't agree with the "rumor" that Witch Queens had any influence on Daedhirians whatsoever. The emergence of Daedhirians is connected with the Anpagan mages and the Murmillion Arkhaeon Guild. The other way around would work way better.

Having the ghostly (and even zombie making) necromancers of Venlaken would also be enough for one area, but maybe you can design the Marmarran ones to a slightly different direction (like some sort of "blood" magic as you mentioned). They would be using dark spirits and such but to the purpose of enhancing powers and not to dwell in death like Daedhirians.

Marmarra should end up as one of the Zhunite city-states, under Anpagan influence. Before the YoD they could be a part of a greater Krean/Krath political body though (you'll have to see that with Coren - maybe e-mail him if you need to hurry, as you can always e-mail me).
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2007, 01:45:07 »

Thanks for the Input smith...but...

Marmarra itself was not one of the Original Citystates...In fact it was during the YoD that it began to be created by Eluda (the first Witch Queen who was originally Krean - See Unwritten Truths of SW Nybelmar thread)...

I need some elaboration by Coren on some areas though....

Decipher Ziron...

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2007, 01:49:08 »

Well, lol, that doesn't change much :) they're supposed to end up as one of the city-states. Maybe you/we can device some interesting history as to how that happened.

I think you can start working on this one (try e-mailing Coren though).
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2007, 04:29:15 »

Eluda (we need a name for this woman!) was born many many many years  before the YoD - Dearan's contemporary.

As regards the "Daedhirian Teachers" issue:

@Deci: It should read the other way around. Daedhirian magic should be the superior of the two (in necromantic areas). However the Witch Queen - herself- could be stronger than any of the Daedhirians Lords individually. (But only the WQ, not the candidates and definitely not the average mages)

@Smith: I thought we already discussed this! Lol, let me find you the msn sheets.

Since the first WQs appeared about 1000-1500 years before the Daedhirians, we had agreed that around that time they (the WQs) would have the upper hand. I remember that we had agreed on two possible scenarios?

1. Eluda (the first WQ, nnn) leaves Marmarra behind to search the Inami ruins of the Venlaken area. The first Daedhirians (before they even assumed the name I'd reckon: when the odd ones were displaced into Venlaken for the first time) ran into her whilst exploring the territory. They might have learned a couple of tricks from her - you know since she has been around a couple of centuries...

Idea: Maybe the foundation of  Daedhirian system was based on the WQs' (Eluda's) magic; they would have incorporated Armand's ideas into the framework provided by Eluda. Since Eluda was Krean the WQs magic is based to some extent on the Krean system*, which goes back at least another 4000 years... Observe also that Krean priestesses used to be probably the most skilled healers of the continent back in their Atlantis era. So that opens up a great number of possibilities. Of course in time, with their Anpagan inquisitive background and Venlaken seclusion & ambition the Daedhirians will surpass Marmarrans in healing- after all the Venlaken entry lists them to be the most accomplished healers of the continent now.

Back to Eluda: Perhaps there could be rumours that she stayed in Venlaken and today is one of the Venlaken Lords? I would suggest also that she is rumoured to be the only Daedhirian who has achieved quasi-immortality without any of the zombie-decayed-flesh effects. Could be envied by the other Lords for her secret and a possibility for the internal politics of the Enclave. Of course noone would have the faintest idea that she is this Eluda person who was related to the Ancient Krean.

* Although they consider the WQs magic (initial one, not the Blood Magic of Deci) immoral. (That is why it is 'forbidden'): The Premise the Krean gnosis rests on is "Choice". So they regard any direct manipulation of the mind extremely depraved. So no substitution of ideas or playing around with the victim's mind to induce eg calm. Even a simple Ximaxian spell like Serenity would be "Taboo" for a Krean mage. Of course there are ways around this such as 1. imbuing the target with the desired emotion rather than the idea/mindset which would inevitably trigger it (only the Orihirim can do this) or fe 2. instead of numbing someone's mind, conjuring peaceful images like a breeze brushing against a lake. The more 3D and real the better (so advanced mages would create a pseudo-world in the victim's mind, complete with other sensory input like scents, sounds etc). Of course this is a much more complicated way to achieve the same result and hence to cast something a Ximax novice can do would require a muchmore accomplished Krean here. The point is to leave the victim a choice: Not every person would respond in the same way to a given stimula - maybe the victim had a particularly bad experience with drowning so a lake image would drive him into panic instead. And even if an Orihirim mage caused resentment to surge into a target like a flood, the victim 'theoretically' had a choice: She was in complete control of her mental faculties so she could have controlled her emotions. But I digress...

Btw the later WQs would purposefully circulate stories about how they too achieved an admirable longevity without any of the unpleasant deformations but since almost every WQ since Eluda has been conviniently assassinated by her successor that shouldn't be something to worry about.

2. The first Daedhirians ventured into Marmarra either to study the Inami ruins there (quite closeby you know) or to learn from the WQ.

----
At this point you have to choose:
Do you want Marmarra & Venlaken to be

1) Allies - interesting Anpagan angle: All Zhunites citystates influenced by Anpagan but Marmarra by Venlaken? So Marmarra the only state influenced by the Anpagan but not by Anpagan? ;)

or

2) Rivals?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2007, 05:06:48 »

oooh, I like this :)

I don't remember everything we discussed back then as I didn't save the msn files :S But if I agreed with something I must have had reasons for it, so it should be good.

What you are writing in this posts gives me a few pretty cool ideas about the politics of the area indeed. So actually I'm thinking that we can have some competing trends among the Venlaken Lords - some of them would go for a more Krean type of dark magic, while others go for the "classic" Daedhirian one. The difference between those two would be that the Krean WQ type would focus on their own bodies ("blood" magic of some sort) while the Daedhirian ones would go for the golem type contraptions (including, or mostly, on themselves). What Asdamonn was trying to do, for instance, might have been influenced by these WQ trend - Asbavaer would have been on the other side.

As there is no ultimate authority in Venlaken (like a king or queen of some sorts, but only the Venlaken Lords) devicing an integrated policy would be hard. But I definitely see them more as allies than rivals to Marmarra - at least the WQ type of magic practicing Lords. The Anpagans don't need to know why Marmarra is on "their" side :)
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2007, 05:52:43 »

hehe...this isi looking cool!

The idea that I brought of Illusionaries would nicely tie up with that 'Messing with the mind' taboo don't you think Coren?

I am glad to see that Marmarra has allies like Venlaken- and I am very interested to see how Venlaken can affect the makeup of Marmarra...And I especially like the idea of the WQ living on to become a 'Daedhirian Lady'.....

Do you have any name suggestions for the First Witch Queen Smith and Coren?

Decipher

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2007, 01:13:36 »

So what's wrong with "Eluda?"

She needs two names actually, one being her original WQ name, and another one for her Daedhirian life. Eluda would seem fine for that Daedhirian name if you don't like her to be named like that as a WQ.
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2007, 01:35:03 »

Well...I like it...But I assumed Coren had problems with it...

Are we going to make it certain that she is a Daedhirian now OR are we going to indicate it as rumour?

Decipher Ziron

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2007, 14:47:57 »

I think we can go for the Daedhirian stuff. We can also always present this as "rumours" but I think we can get more stuff out of her being Daedhirian => one reason more for her to be shunned at home; signs of trouble in Venlaken etc.
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2007, 01:44:04 »

Do people have to know that she is the same Eluda? Hmm, then we could have 'pilgrimages' by ambitious mages into Venlaken, which sadly always end up with a catastrophe...

Also: You have to make a choice: Is it Eluda story version 1 or 2?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]