Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Katkara Dev. Plan  (Read 3715 times)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 26 August 2007, 02:16:17 »

A rough Development Plan in which I covered the main sections:

OVERVIEW:
As any visitor to this mining centre is sworn before the Black Altar to never speak of anything they might have seen within its walls, information concerning Katkara is at best sketchy; certainly not enough to provide a decent description. The Compendium, however, has acquired a collection of myths pertaining to this strange settlement through a generous donation of the Asaen family, from which our scholars hope to bring together a rough description of the place and its inhabitants.

DESCRIPTION:
-natural surroundings...
-walls of decorated ebony(?), couple of stone guard towers...
-the description of the place when it was found (nomadic quarry(?))...
-Appraiser's Asaen’s speculations on Katkara (written before his visit to it, maybe an Appendix to “A Zhunite Sunset” , tome 4, chapter III, Section: Introduction, Subdivision: The Voyage Through Dragon's Back about Emperor’s speculations on Katkara and his reaction after the visit), the myth of the Silver Fortress (the Kátrá ílár Chághruh kind of fortress, built by the remnants of Empire’s expedition which mixed with nomadic and farming populance of Zhun), the myth of the tomb of young warrior, supposed to be Seras, the Karakan main deity, who led the Northern Pursuit to the source of the river Kimb to build a great fortress in his tribute,...
-the Black Altar oath (stated word by word(?)), description,...
-maybe some more myths will be added as I figure out the Nybelmarian timetable,...

-Dragon's Back Region, north of Ktsarmashik, east of Karakan...
PEOPLE:
-Zhunite...
-although you would believe that people from Katkara are secretive and have no need for company other than their own, their personalities are quite different so you can find a Katkarian in an Ktsarmashikian inn  bragging about his riches but once you ask him about the source of those riches he will just turn pale and change the subject(even if he’s drunk, some stories gathered from people in that state)...

« Last Edit: 11 September 2007, 03:03:58 by Arceon Barrurbeleth » Logged

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2007, 02:44:56 »

These Katkaran secrets...obviously, being secrets, we dont know what they are...but what do people assume they are?

What rumors ETC. do people outside of Katkara spread about them?

Are they arms dealers? Political Schemers? Followers of unpopular/feared/dangerous religions?

Just a remark,

Decipher Ziron

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2007, 02:58:46 »

Maybe people don't have secrets, maybe just the place itself has them? I would like for people to be just about normal(maybe the guards can be a little awkward though) and Katkara itself would have some secrets inside it's walls. Thanks for the remark! grin

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2007, 03:14:14 »

What exactly do you mean by 'maybe just the place itself has secrets'....How can a place have secrets without human intervention?

Confused Decipher,

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2007, 04:29:16 »

Only Zhunites - you can't have Krean/Krathrian (stuck in the peninsula post YoD) nor Anpagan (supposed to be secret).

Btw Dearan wrote those tomes when he was still an Appraiser (sort of a government inspector) - way before he became Emperor.

I like the idea of a tomb - but could you explain that a bit more? What fortress? 'Karakan'=?

Location: It is north of Ktsarmashik - if you read Dearan's description and use that with the map (Ktsarmashik and Serekeye are pinpointed) you should be able to get your bearings ;)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2007, 22:16:05 »

@Confused Decipher: It's hard to explain but you're probably right about the human intervention. My explanation is that when humans got there, there was already Seras' tomb(example) and people that founded the settlement discovered amazing riches in that tomb, furthermore if the Empire's officials would found out about the riches they would simply come and collect it, leaving Katkarians without treasures they discovered. On the other hand if they say that they mine these treasures out of the mountain, the Empire will only collect some amount of those treasures and Katkarians will have their rightful prosperity. In conclusion, there is only one major secret in Katkara which all of the citizens must keep, so tehnicly the populance of Katkara does not have any private secrets, but the place itself has some....

With hope that you understood this, Arceon

if you didn't: scratch this
Quote from: Arceon
Maybe people don't have secrets, maybe just the place itself has them?

@Coren:Don't have time this week but I'll try to explain that a bit more next week. Will note your remarks!
« Last Edit: 29 August 2007, 22:21:34 by Arceon Barrurbeleth » Logged

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2007, 03:12:35 »

Question: Is it possible that during the first Shadow War, when human tribes fled Menermronn's armies, one of these nomadic tribes settled in Dragon's Back Region and founded Katkara? If this is possible then, could these people, seeing Menermronn's strength and cruelty, establish some sort of a shrine dedicated to the dark wizard, so when he conquers western Nybelmar they might be spared from his fury?

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2007, 01:30:17 »

No.

Katkarans are all Zhunite. The Zhunite were a community of farmers and fishers before Krean colonization.

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2007, 03:35:07 »

OK! Thanks for clearing that up!

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2007, 04:22:40 »

Explanation of a tomb for Coren:

I thought about a young warrior who represent himself as Seras the Dragon Lord which led Krean explorers to the source of river Kimb. It is not mentioned in the entry what happened to Seras after the Krean got to Kimb's spring. What I want to do is make him a Karakan hero. However he "died" (the divine Seras left the body of this young warrior) and was carried east where Karakans planed to build him a tomb. So they dug a cave in the mountain, placed all sorts of riches in it and buried "Seras" in it, afterwards they sealed the entrance (magicaly or otherwise) and started to celebrate Seras as their main deity. Furthermore I want (if it's possible) Katkara to be a quarry at first and when someone found an [example=]emerald in the quarry's stones[/example] the mining operations started and thats how the tomb was uncovered. A possible reason found in my reply to Decipher a few posts higher.

P.S. About my shrine idea. Can I have a civil war in which all these ancient Katkarans died out, of course this "war" happened before Krean explorations?

With hope of understanding, Arceon
« Last Edit: 12 September 2007, 04:26:18 by Arceon Barrurbeleth » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2007, 19:01:11 »

The first part is possible. Bette to have gold as the mineral discovered in the stones. Make the hero a hotly disputed myth - Katkarans support the legend whilst some others refuse that Seras only 'possessed' an avatar for himself and that He 'died'. Most citizens would insist that it was the Dragon Lord himself who appeared etc

Which shrine idea? And sorry, that is not possible: Katkara as a quarry makes sense only after there is a settlement, like Karakan, large enough to require a quarry. And Karakan was founded only as a result of Krean colonization.

And if there was a civil war in which everybody died, then how do we know that there had been a civil war? If this happens before colonization, there were no settlements in northern Zhun which would have witnessed this event. Even if it did happen, we would not know of it today.

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2007, 04:25:20 »

I thought more in the line of inner-Katkarian conflict, when Katkara was only a small village consisting of refugees from the first Shadow War who thought that Mennermronn will conquer all Caelereth and built him a shrine. How do we know about this conflict? The truth is we don't. The Krean explorers found the shrine to Menemronn and maybe even some leftovers from the battle (weapons, items, graves...) and supposed that there were some kind of a conflict. Another story is that these ancient Katkarians joined the Murrmillions in the second Shadow War as their sign of respect for Menermronn.

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2007, 05:29:41 »

Uhm, the Second Shadow War would be pretty much restrained to south-east, so katkarans fighting alongside Murmillions is not possible. I don't have anything against a shrine to Menemronn in that area dating back to the first Shadow, though. But yeah, Coren knows better the issues regarding Krean.
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2007, 03:34:49 »

Yes, alright Smith, no Katkarians in the second Shadow war! :) So, Coren, is this inner conflict in Katkara possible?

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2007, 01:06:47 »

If it's alright with Coren I'll start to write this entry...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]