Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guise of Bones, Elemental Earth, Level 6  (Read 3177 times)
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« on: 30 August 2007, 04:55:58 »

Dagan's Necromancy theories got me thinking about this one...

Guise of Bones, Elemental Earth, Level 7

Overview:

Perhaps one of the most gruesome and sickening incantations within the element, Guise of Bones fashions a serviceable ensemble of armor from the remains of animals(It should be noted that such bone strctures are required to encompass the caster's body and therefore must be of significant size).  Through the permanent fluctuation of the earth enclosed within the targeted bone, a mage is able to bring forth protection with a unique combination of durability and elasticity that exceeds the capabilities of most metals.  Auspiciously, few are able to don armor of such twisted origin, which, in turn, halts most manufacture.

N.B: Further experimentation with this spell by Earthen Necromancers is rumored to have resulted in the hardening of body parts similar to the effects of the spell Harden.

Spell Effect:

Notwithstanding its resemblance to Sphere I spells, the permanence required for the success of Guise of Bones can solely derive from the implementation of Sphere III methods of extraction, alteration and reimplementation of a group of ounia.   As such, most magi capable of using the technique find the incantation to be unnaturally simple, regardless of the duality required by its casting.

As bones consist chiefly of Earth ounía, they can be effortlessly manipulated by Magi of the element, which, in turn, reduces the intricacy of the spell drastically.  Unfortunately the requirement to express concurrently strength (increase of an earthen property) and elasticity (decrease of another) requires micromanagement within the constituent.

Casting Procedure:

As Guise of Bones is of the plainest Sphere III spells, its procedure is relatively undemanding.  Once the mage has reached the necessary state of concentration to cast, he merely must increase the property of strength while simultaneously decreasing that of rigidity.  While theoretically, accomplishing such a feat is possible by simply sensing the bones, most magi will require physical contact with the object.

Upon establishing physical contact with his target, the mage then advances in the increase and decrease of the respective properties.  The achievement of the ensuing creation is dependent upon the magi’s skill with the spell enchantment.

Magical Formula:

To be defined

Target:

For optimal results, it is best that bones mirroring the live counterparts they are to shield are used.  It is also strongly suggested that flesh of the deceased be removed from the bone to prevent unbearable odor.

Reagents:

While none are obligatory, magi scarcely of the seventh level have discovered it nearly effortless if an article containing high concentrations of Earth ounía (preferably another bone of the target) to aid in focusing their energies.

Spell Class:  Elemental Magic, Earth School, Physical Representation of Sphere III

Range:

Customarily, the range of Guise of Bones amplifies considerably as a mage’s acquaintance with the spell rises.  While level seven magi require direct contact with the object, higher level casters may only have to sense the bone.

Casting Time:

Echoing the range, the casting time of the spell radically lessens with a caster’s expertise.  Level seven magi are obliged to suffer through multiple casting sessions for a bone structure as large as a rib cage, while an Archmage might complete the spell in a few blinks.

Duration:

As with most Sphere III spells, the effects of Guise of Bones are permanent, regardless of level.

Enhancing/Counter Measures:

Enhancement is often deemed beneficiary to the outcome of the spell and is often accomplished by multiple casting sessions or casters to increase the prominence of the properties of flexibility and strength.

Due to the potency of the enchantment, magic is the only way the effects can be reversed.  Spells increasing fragility or used for shattering objects are the most assured methods of destroying an enchanted bone.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2007, 17:13:52 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2007, 07:49:53 »

*cries out for attention*

Check me!
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2007, 16:01:26 »

As Guise of Bones is of the plainest Sphere III spells, its procedure is relatively undemanding.  Once the mage has reached the necessary state of concentration to cast, he merely must increase the property of strength while simultaneously decreasing that of rigidity.  While theoretically, accomplishing such a feat is possible by simply sensing the bones, most magi will require physical contact with the object.

Upon establishing physical contact with his target, the mage then advances in the increase and decrease of the respective properties.  The achievement of the ensuing creation is dependent upon the magi’s skill with the spell enchantment.

This doesn't give any indication as to why it's a Sphere III spell. It is utilizing Sphere I techniques according to this description... the only Sphere III design is that it is a permanent enchantment. I believe you would have to remove the ounia from the structure, then reapply them in such a manner that the physical structure is changed to the preferred make.

Echoing the range, the casting time of the spell radically lessens with a caster’s expertise.  Level six magi are obliged to suffer through multiple casting sessions for a bone structure as large as a rib cage, while an Archmage might complete the spell in a few blinks.

What's an average time for the initial caster?
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2007, 23:20:50 »

This doesn't give any indication as to why it's a Sphere III spell. It is utilizing Sphere I techniques according to this description... the only Sphere III design is that it is a permanent enchantment. I believe you would have to remove the ounia from the structure, then reapply them in such a manner that the physical structure is changed to the preferred make.

When I was taught/discuss Sphere III, I was told that one of its applications is applying fluctuations in the influence of a property(Sphere I) in a permanent sense, thus making it like an enchantment.  Is this not correct?

What's an average time for the initial caster?

I'm not exactly sure how much time an average level 6 mage needs between casting Sphere III spells, but since it would require multiple casting sessions it could range anywhere from a series of spells lasting twelve hours to maybe two days.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2007, 23:23:31 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2007, 23:23:45 »

Hey Drasil! What are you doing here huh! Get to your party!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2007, 07:40:09 »

When I was taught/discuss Sphere III, I was told that one of its applications is applying fluctuations in the influence of a property(Sphere I) in a permanent sense, thus making it like an enchantment.  Is this not correct?

That's one of its applications, yes... I'm just not sure what the actual *process* of it is. The main concept for Sphere III is the addition/removal of ounia in a target Car'all. The permanency of Sphere I effects is achieved in some method relating to the addition/removal of ounia, but I am not sure of the specifics. Something of removing the ounia, changing it, then adding it back in in a different manner than its previous structure or something.

In other words: The concept is correct, I'm just not entirely sure of what the actual methods to achieve it are. Simply increasing influence is Sphere I, achieving the permanency effect requires some kind of addition/removal/readdition process of which I am not entirely sure of. I think Mina is more apt on that process, but he seems to have vanished.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2007, 07:44:41 »

Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.  I'll get right on that.
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2007, 13:29:53 »

Sorry, was bogged down by schoolwork, and procrastination didn't help either.   buck

Anyway, yeah, Fox is pretty much correct.  The 'permanent Sphere 1' sort of effect I think is more or less achieved by 'removing' the ounia and then 'returning' them to the car'all, but with stronger links, except that unlike Sphere 1 this is considered their new 'default strength'.  Sort of. 

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2007, 04:01:38 »

Edited.
Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2007, 11:32:41 »

Hmm, this spell confused me quite a bit, and not because of all the mgic mumbo jumbo but purely through unclear description. After reading through the whole entry I'm still puzzled as to what the spell does. Does it form an armor of bones around th mage, or on him. Also one more thing I noticed you mention "From the remains of mammals", why is it that only mammals can be used. Why not reptiles, birds, or even fish. I think overall it's a good concept but I still feel that it needs some forming up. Anyways Thanks,  grin!
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2007, 02:51:54 »

Words such as "remains" and descriptions such as "unbearable odor" clearly, IMO, describe that you use a foreign, dead creatures remains for the spell.  Perhaps a more careful read would help pick up such subtlties?

As for your comment about not using lizards, fish ect. you must remember that the bone needs to comfortably fit over the form of a human, and the strucutres of a bird, fish ect, in general are both to small or to differently to be of much use.
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2007, 23:52:01 »

*waves hands frantically*

Can I give myself the blue arrow.  I've already encorperated all of Josie/Fox's comments.  In addition this has been sitting here for over a month with only one comment.
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2007, 13:45:15 »

Is there any reason it's level 6 instead of 7?  Also:
As for your comment about not using lizards, fish ect. you must remember that the bone needs to comfortably fit over the form of a human, and the strucutres of a bird, fish ect, in general are both to small or to differently to be of much use.
The same applies to many mammals, I think.  Perhaps you should simply change the requirement to any bones that fit over a human (or whatever the caster's race is) form? 

It seems alright to me other than that. 

Edit: It should be okay to put up the blue arrow once you've addressed these issues (and both are really fairly minor, I think).  Given the amount of work I have, I might not be able to get back to this on time.  But hopefully the work will be clearing up soon. 
« Last Edit: 08 November 2007, 16:55:25 by Mina » Logged

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2007, 05:07:39 »

edited.  I gave myself the arrow.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]