Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Santharian Guard  (Read 2860 times)
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« on: 29 October 2007, 11:45:12 »

This doesn't have an entry I just wanted to share what I did since the Wisons. :)
« Last Edit: 30 October 2007, 10:27:57 by Drucilla Sablewolffe » Logged
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2007, 12:05:26 »

Ohhh ... cool castle .. sorry lol just where my eyes were drawn ... its a cool picture ... it probly isn't my place to say and im not art expert but the belt buckle looks a little off for the direction he's facin (just my little bit of unexperince imput) ... <-being quiet now tho ... :)

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2007, 12:14:21 »

lol... I love the castle too.   His head seems to be sitting at a strange angle.... but I love the pompous expression on his face.... hope it was intended... grin

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2007, 13:59:22 »

Very good match of background and subject!  Now that you have the strong vertical in the foreground, you can remove the small tower (which unfortunately is at the wrong perspective altogether) and the picture will balance beautifully.

Suggestion:  Some texture and lots of varying shading in the purple tabard (tip the symbol so it 'wraps' round the curve of his torso better), and more contrast on the face - which does indeed have a really great expression and conveys a lot of character!

I'd also desaturate both the grass (just shade over with browns and yellows at 6 or 7 percent) and the tabard so that more attention goes to the face and the castle.

This is a great composition and I'm sure we can find or create an entry for it... (rubs hands together expectantly)  Bravo, Dru!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Gararion

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2007, 00:12:25 »

The wall that he stands before seems a little off.  It's kinda hard to tell that it is a wall, if not for the vines that you have on it.  Perhaps add something to show the thickness of the wall.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2007, 06:03:26 »

I like it how this progresses, Drucilla! :D The composition of that old castle pic with this new character (in an expressive pose!) really is very well done. The shadows/dark passages at the hill also fit quite well, the left side wall adds to the 3d effect. Some interesting sky, and the thing will really get going... The guy in front is lovely, though he of course lacks shadows and refinement, but the facial features e.g. are very well done! The foreground environment to me is somehow not fitting - it is not clear where our dear soldier is standing. But I could imagine this picture e.g. to be used in Santhworld - for the guy outside of the Lorehold, who shoves the player in again if you try to venture outside... He just has exactly that expression ;)

P.S. Maybe a better topic name would help a bit to give a better orientation for Forum readers ;) Topics should ideally tell us something about the content.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2007, 10:25:20 »

Thanks everybody and yes Alt the pompous look is on purpose.

Judy, I don’t know why but the texture won’t apply to the purple it will the yellow but not the purple…? May have to change the color.

I’m posting one with another old background. Just for funzies.

Art, I had to laugh out loud when I read your post and I have to tell you the story behind it. When making this I used my son as a model. He’s younger, more handsome and no facial hair but the resemblance is there and the strange tilt of the head and expression are definitely his. While I was making this he decided he wanted it, I suppose as his alter ego on one or more of his rpg’s and such and said to me, “You can’t post this on Santharia.” I asked him why and he said, “Cause they’ll snatch it up and then it will belong to them. I want it.” I explained that it would still belong to me even if someone did want to use it at Santaria and probably wouldn’t since there’s no entry and I could always make his slightly different if they did. He said okay but insisted he must read the entry before I gave the okay. When I read your post I laughed and yelled at him, “Hey, come look what Art wants to do with you.” He read your post over my shoulder and said, “Oh…oh…, I know exactly who he means, that’s totally cool. They can definitely use it for that!”

P.S. Sorry about the topic but there’s no entry that I made him from. It’s just that I get so much from Santharia that I like to share what I can. Perhaps “guard” would be better? Santharian guard? Yep that’s what I’ll put.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2007, 11:09:50 »

Oooh, Dru!

You know, as much as I like the castle background, this is even better for this character.  The perspective is perfect - we are looking slightly upwards at both the guard and the gateway - and it so neatly puts him in his environment and tells the story, all at the same time.  A guard on a wall - anything could be happening.... but the guard at the gate, ooooh, so much potential for storytelling.

Please, if it's not too late, could you work on this background for this guy instead?  It just goes so well - lighting, atmosphere, perspective, everything!

And I love the story..... :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2007, 01:42:06 »

Thank you Bard Judith. And of course, any background you like, or a new one. Perhaps you could suggest a more significant color scheme and insignia for the tabard. And please feel free to point things out, it always helps. :)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2007, 03:26:19 »

Hey Dru, I don't know that much about drawing, or even art in general, but I noticed one tiny little thing: his chest/tummy seem kind of flat to me. Just, you know, one vertical line. Normally in a person, either the upper chest or the tummy protrudes a little bit. The first one from a good muscular build, the second one... well, you know *grins* If this comment is not valid, then just ignore it. Like I said, what do I know? ;)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2007, 08:03:02 »

Irild:  True - and the tabard itself should bulge around the belt, but Dru is thinking of replacing that / drawing over it anyhow...

Drucilla:  That is a good call - if we could use an actual insignia we could 'place' this guy right away.   Let me think about it - perhaps one of the tribal banners would work well...  what would work with his coloration and general appearance?

Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2007, 09:23:05 »

Actually I was thinking that the chain mail would straighten out any indications of figure. That even if he was well built he would have clothes and belt, possibly chain mail pants underneath that would detract from that even more. The tabard I wanted straight thinking this guy would take pride in this and keep it pretty neet, but you're right there should be at least a little puckering around the belt. But that can wait until we have a final tabard. I will leave the tribe and insignia, colors, open for suggestions. :)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]