Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: All gone!  (Read 2569 times)
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« on: 27 November 2007, 06:48:16 »

Remember I said I was having computer issues? Well, it's all gone!!! Everything I was working on, layers, pictures, everything! Without a chance for backup. I am so broken hearted. Anything I had n't posted...gone. Whaaaaaa! Alll the things I had saved...gone. Whaaaa!!! It's like somebody took a match and set fire to all my favorite things. People back up now, no matter how much you love your computer, it can turn on you. Take the time to back up your stuff.
Hylphán
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Life's too short, Write it as you experience it!

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2007, 09:34:35 »

Always good to have an external hard drive with a complete copy of everything -  a mirror image including the operating system.

Fair wind and following seas...

Hylphán's CD
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2007, 01:46:02 »

I had the operating system backed up. I did that when I first got the computer and was setting everything up but then I got lazy and haven't backed up anything for almost a year, and that's everything I was working on for here. Thoughts, notes, bits and pieces that I copied from here and there so I wouldn't forget. I mean I had to come here to get a copy of Boldsnout, how lame is that? I bet I had fifteen versions of him, now just one. Sad thing is nobody else useing this computer had backed up either so we're all in one sunk boat.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2007, 03:00:46 »

cry Now that doesn't sound that thrilling, definitely not... But are you sure that everything's gone? Hard drives can have problems, but a technician might help to save data, even from a defect hard drive if you're lucky. But I don't know where your problem lies exactly, Drucilla. Make sure to ask for a professional opinion!

At any rate I have at least the large versions you sent to me of your latest pictures (fuzzle, rainbow serpent, wison) and other pictures were posted here on the Forum as well, even in smaller versions, so at least they aren't completely gone.

This incident however tells me to make sure to make a backup myself this weekend - I haven't backed up things for quite a while as well, and my computer is pretty old as well by now...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2007, 15:00:56 »

Thank you Art, that's is very kind and I appreciate it very much. I have copied what I found from here but it would be nice to have a couple that have some quality to them. I don't know what to do about the last two pictures I was still working on for here. I copied them but they are blurry and small and so far no resizing tricks or anything else has helped. If you liked the guard I could start over, my boy's been hinting at it anyway along with another one, it wouldn't be exactly the same but I could come close...maybe. I've never been one for drawing the same thing twice. As far as Drucilla goes...I don't know. I was writing the piece to go with the picture and now the picture's gone. All my notes gone. I know that everything you put into a computer stays in there reguardless but I don't have the skill and to be honest I don't know where to find a tech with that kind of skill.

On the up side I was able to download Gimp successfully and am itching to use it again.

And don't forget to back up! Everybody.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2007, 15:48:09 »

Please, please, please, Dru, do try to have that computer checked.  It's amazing what you can get off digitally nowadays.  Even government computers that have been 'professionally wiped' still have had data found on them...

Do a search in your yellow pages or online in your area for 'data recovery' and see what turns up.  It will be worth it, I promise.  The time and creativity that you put in are so important!

Trust me, I had this happen - for all my Santh files too - and was in tears.  We took the computer back to the place where we bought it and their techs had a look at it - fifty bucks and I would have paid twice or triple that for all my years of work!   Most computer shops will have someone or have a contact for someone who specializes in data recovery.

Wishing you luck,
Judy

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2007, 15:57:51 »

Yes, definitely recommend checking out a computer store, Drucilla, and I'm sure people can help you! As we deal with software and hardware here in the company I'm working, I can tell you that in general a lot of data can be saved, whatever the problem is with a hard drive. Unless it exploded or something... ;)

P.S. We have a version of the Drucilla pic here on the Forum as well, haven't we?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2007, 17:22:15 »

That's bad - and a lot of work in any case, even if you can restore it. There is surely an automatic backup software available for windows as well (a free one). I use Silverkeeper on my older iMac, which saves the datas once a day on an external harddrive automatically. And i burn all the essential stuff on a dvd every half a year or so.

Hope you get your stuff back!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2007, 00:27:35 »

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Still haveing comp issues but i think I have them all worked out now. Thanks for the advice Judith. I'm afraid I won't be able to check that out until next year. I'm sure the price would be much higher here as I have paid more to have much simplier issues taken care of. But I do hope.

Garrin Teid Faetyl

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2008, 23:17:48 »

CD burners and DVD burners really are the greatest technology ever invented for the purpose of backup because then you can do it with just a click of the mouse.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]