Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Serphelorian Nomenclature  (Read 15813 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2007, 16:12:57 »

Ok, no need to hurry - I'll read the rest of your Serphelorian entry in the meantime and see if I have some further suggestions. Also will start already with preparing the next site update with everything that has been approved already so far.

But once we've got the syllable definition completed I'll then let as much names generated as possible and post them, so that you can choose from a decent pool in order to adjust the names in the time table. Then I will go through that in detail and add it to the database, and in case there are inconsistencies I'll point them out etc. But it seems we're slowly get to a conclusion here - tribes take a good deal of work, but the outcome is vey valuabe and should be preferred over all other regular development stuff to finally get it done! thumbup

A wacom tablet also sounds great - I hope we see some pictures you'll make with it as well here! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 27 December 2007, 04:04:52 »

Well, we should probably find that the timetable names are all correct... they, along with some other names from the map and the site, were actually the basis for developing the naming scheme Big Grin  However there may be one or two that need changing, and it will be good to add some (e.g. Quesvath's mother, other Jakats and military leaders not yet defined) which are even more typical of Serphelorian / Sophronian names.

As to the tablet... well, I do plan to draw some small things like trees and faces to get my technique up to speed, so perhaps I will send you some things as I complete them and we'll see if what I am doing is at all good enough for the site...

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2008, 13:48:33 »

Okay, I have fixed up the syllables - hopefully they are now the way you need them for the SNG. :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2008, 16:07:37 »

Cool... Looks really good from what I see, Grun!! :D I'll feed SNG tonight with it and will see what I can come up with!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2008, 05:29:56 »

Yeah, i've just added the syllables now to SNG and made over a hundred name per gender - see in this general Names thread. - Have a look :D

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2008, 08:50:12 »

Looking great, Art!  The male names in particular are almost exactly right.  There would be a few more combinations in there, too, but I guess you weren't trying to get them all.  It would be good, though, if we could get some of the shortest names in the list as well, as in the submission:
Shorter male names end with d, g or less regularly, j (e.g. Breg, Rud, Mej). 

For the female names, there are a few which I think are a bit too short.  A few (e.g. 'Oria' and 'Vria') are just endings by themselves - don't know how they got in there!  The female names I thought were too short were:

Cija
Cjia
Eia
Isa
Lia
Lya
Oria
Qua
Rua
Veza
Vria
Xya
Xyia

Perhaps if there aren't enough female combinations in longer syllables, I could provide some middle syllables for fillers?  I had a think as I was looking at the names, and the ones I came up with were -lo-, -lor-, -loph-, -phri-, -rit-, -rez-, -tan-, -kaz-, -sav-, -cath-, -rith-.

That way we end up with names like Rukaloveth, Xylophria, Vezerita, Kairevath, Lycetana, Gaekazar, Jisaveth (Ji/sav/veth), Rucathlia, and Chylaritha.  I don't know if this added level of complexity is workable or not, but I thought I would add it as an option.  Most of these syllables of course could become first syllables as well if you want  :D

Also it would be good if we could make any double consonants disappear:  names like 'Sallia' seem much more Serphelorian to me somehow if they are just 'Salia'.  Not really important though if you can't change that  :)

Okay, I hope that isn't too much work!  I am just being fussy, I guess hammer

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2008, 15:59:52 »

Sure I can still change stuff and add more :) Getting decent names is always a process, so I'll add the suggested syllables and remove the shorter ones you mentioned. The double consonants will also be looked into - I don't have much of those generated, but it's good to know how you'd like to have it, then I can focus on that!

Note that the strengths of the names (how purely Serphelorian or influenced/modern they are) are not shown yet on this first list, but this is something I could also add sooner or later to that export function I use to post the names here. I tried however to mostly use strrong syllables, so that a good deal of the names should be typically Serphelorian.

Updated names to come this evening!  thumbup

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2008, 04:53:38 »

Okeydokey, Grun - I've added the suggested syllables, removed the one-syllable names, added also your direct suggestions and created a bunch of additional names (around 30 male, 45 female ones). The names in the Nomenclature thread were updated accordingly - check it out! :)

On that short syllable names, which aren't included yet: Yes, I know that I need to fix that the program doesn't take the last syllable only if it should only choose one syllable/word part, but actually the first. At least that's how it worked e.g. with the Erpheronians and others. So I need confirmation here - if I only take the first syllable to create names, we'd get also names like:

Barj
Brug
Rukam
Rumam

There could also be other short names where we combine a short beginning and ending syllable of course. Only wanted to ask if such names are ok with you as well.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2008, 08:23:16 »

They're looking great, Art!  Of course we still have a couple of names which look a bit short - 'Sala' and 'Reia' - but that's not really too much of a problem.  There are only two, so it should be pretty obvious that they are uncommon.

As to the shorter names:  I would prefer not to have the ones like your examples.  The only short ones should be those male names of a one- or two- letter beginning with a one-letter ending.  If it's easier, I can just hand-write a list of these and we can insert them in the names list - there won't be many.

Speaking of names lists: I checked Judy's entry, and it looks to me like you have the genders of the Caltharian names around the wrong way!  lol 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2008, 11:52:38 »

(snickers) sharp eyes!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2008, 16:00:20 »

Ooops... Indeed! I've switched that now.

Shorter names: Yep, fine with me. If you can construct names manually, feel free to post them directly and I'll add them to the pool!

P.S. I'm not sure about that female beginning syllable "Kaiacer", as it is much longer than others. Is that one fine? Then I can make such names like Kaiacer-a, Kaiacer-eia, Kaiacer-qua etc. Just wasn't sure if you didn't forget a comma somewhere.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 22 January 2008, 04:27:28 »

Whoops, missed this comment.  Yup, that was on purpose - it was one approach I took to trying to control which syllables came out, but as it basically meant I was writing full names, I let it go lol

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2008, 08:13:31 »

Updated first post with better structure, and of course those last names which I'm not exaclty sure on...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 01 February 2008, 05:51:32 »

As today is LOST season 4 start (yippie!!!), here's a quote that came to my mind when reading Serphelorian (title should be changed I guess BTW) nomenclature: lol

Eko approaches Locke with a book in his hands he has discovered somewhere.
Eko: Hello. I have something I think you should see. If you don't mind, I will begin at the beginning. (Pause) Long before Christ the king of Judah was a man named Josiah.
Locke: Boy - when you say beginning, you mean beginning!

lol That scene was quite hilarious, and if I look at your Sophronian Nomenclature now, I guess you also really started at the beginning to have it covered from top to bottom, Grun...  cool Seems we need to make an own entry for the Nomenclature, maybe with a shorter summary in the main entry?

This is quite massive and leaves practically no questions unanswered. With the mixing with other tribe's name parts this of course gets a bit complicated, especially as there are so many variations of the second names , but it's all described here pretty well. :)

Question: Are the names you have put up here and categorized all from the generator or did you add own ones as well? As they should all be stored in the name database - if you added further ones I'd need to know which ones, so that I can add them to the name pool.

For the second names we could also combine some names manually and make certain syllables out of them to feed SNG with it - the endings we have anyway, and also their regional differences. In the meaning I could add the tribal orientation of that name as well, so that once a name is generated we know immediately what tribe combination it is. You have a good deal of examples already, so if that's ok with you I will try to come up with some more, so that we have the second names also covered from the SNG side and can offer something to choose from in the main names list.

P.S. I dug for Judy's entry on Tribal Dialects, and it's here. Guess the only tribe that is missing are the Sophronians, though... But the thread might still serve as inspiration regarding Tribal Language.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2008, 09:04:37 »

Hi Art,

I'm glad you like it.  I think I had always intended it to be a supplementary entry, like those at the Shendar etc.  I think it can become cluttered if you try to put to much in to a main entry, really. 

I'm still not certain if the last names are quite what I want - hopefully I can get a look-over from Alysse or Judy or anyone else with an interest in this sort of thing, and we can refine it a bit. 

Perhaps the overview could be used in the tribe entry, and then maybe a link to this entry?  Something like "Further details about Serphelorian naming can be found here".

I have used names mostly from the generator, but I have fiddled with a number of them to make them sound the way I want them to.  I kept a record of which names I changed, so I will post that here soon.  I will also convert the Titles section in to something readable soon too  :)

Judy's Tribal Language submission is great - I will use her format as a basis for getting the Language post sorted out, which is next on my list.  Then perhaps I can get to Chrondra!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]