Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Serphelorian Nomenclature  (Read 15808 times)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2008, 09:59:33 »

Okay, as per my post above, here is a list of all the names I have used in the submission which didn't come straight from the SNG.

I got these names from tweaking names on the list of names which came out of the SNG:  some because I felt they didn’t quite work as they were, and others because felt like I didn’t have enough representatives of the different name parts, so I added bits to existing names to make good-sounding names with the parts that I needed more of.

I also just remembered that I have changed around the commonality of some syllables.  For example, 'qua' used to be a more common ending, but because it was difficult to find names which worked well with that ending, I have now made it a rare ending.  There are a few other changes, too.  Is that ok?  Sorry if it is a hassle   nerd

The format is original SNG name / names -> my 'tweaked' name.

Chyveth -> Chyzaveth
Cjarithqua -> Cjaloritha
Chykazqua / Chyreth ->Chyrequa
Elskazar ->Elsrazar
Elreza -> Elophreza
Gaerezreia -> Gaezreia
Isphria -> Iskaphria
Jiqua ->Jilorqua
Karezkath -> Karezath
Karezreia -> Karezeia
Klarithveth -> Klariveth
Lylophoria -> Lyzophoria
Querarithria  -> Querithia
Quinphrilia -> Quinphrolia (Quinphrilia sounds sort of like a medicine, n’est-ce-pas? lol)
Saleia -> Salreia
Sala -> Salera
Tarreza -> Tarezar
Vezarezar -> Vezarphrian
Vezimireia / Vezioria -> Vezimoreia
Xyphoreza -> Xyphoriath
Xykazia -> Xykazar
Xaphrireia -> Xaphireia

The only male name I felt I needed to change was Miklilay -> Mikilay

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2008, 15:37:42 »

And for a third post - Updated the first post with the tidied-up version of the titles section.

And yes, I am still looking for ideas around how to fix the last names  :)

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 21 February 2008, 11:39:09 »

Updated and finished!  Pending comments or approval, this is done. 

I introduced a number of alternative endings to the last names, and now I am much happier with them.

I have also de-complicated the entry a fair bit, so hopefully it should be more user friendly!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 07 March 2008, 05:33:16 »

Wow, this is really comprehensive, Grun!  shocked Just read it through from top to bottom, and I guess it can hardly get any better regarding the amount of detail you try to cover here :)

The beginnings and endings of the last names are something I can feed SNG now with, and as we now also have meanings for word parts, SNG can also present you now excactly what the generated names actually mean. I think it will work pretty well!

The long second names and the somewhat "interesting" titles of course might sound unfamilar to other Santharians and might not be that easy to get used to, but this is exactly what the whole Nomenclature is about - to make things different compared to other tribes, to give a tribe an own character. I think you really succeeded here, and spotting a name from this tribe makes it not too difficult to determine its origin. At least concerning the tribe. - And you even have set up loads of regional differences! This way you can track down every "little" name to his/her ancestors living in a small village near the Xythrian Ridge, eh? lol

I also like those little extras you add in here and there, like "Meaning ‘weakling of’.  A very old suffix, this was usually applied to males..."  grin or "Readers, please note that, like the first names, this is by no means meant to be an exhaustive list of family names.  If your name is not on this list, it is no slight to your family!"

Having the title "Jakat" I think is also a very effective way to make this tribe different from regular kingdoms, and with everything else you'Ve developed in the Serphelorian context like the Orders and the ir religious background and now with the Nomenclature they really stand as something of their own. When I look back at what we had before about them its not much to what we have now... - Magnificent stuff, and it fits together and makes sense, also in the historical context you're still setting up!

I guess this can safely be marked for integration, the first part added to the main entry, and the second part as a complete entry of its own. It's all constructed to a great degree on how we have it at other tribes, so this will be easy to integrate. I'll also feed SNG to make further name generation easier :D - Once again: Great work, Grun! The Serphelorians can be proud of you!  thumbup clap

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 07 March 2008, 10:28:22 »

Yay, I am so glad to have this done!  I have given it the blue arrow!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]