Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Ruvuma Spider  (Read 5279 times)
Alohar

Gained Aura: 0

The best fruits hang highest.

View Profile
« on: 04 December 2007, 07:15:47 »

Want to present a monster i think is funny which i think enters in Monsters, Land entry. It is a spider but its cooler than the ordinary giant spider:

The Ruvuma spider is a giant spider for about 5 ped length. It lives in the hot and dry caves near the mountain of Argor in what’s known by the Xythrian Ridge.
The Ruvuma spider is a peril for the dwarves of Tyr Thromgolin. These spiders are known to be a aggressive and huge race of spiders who attack all animals or things who go into their lair.

Description:
The Ruvuma spider is a big, even giant spider with a great dimension about 5 peds from the tip of one leg to the tip of another. The Ruvuma spiders legs are long and thin put they are strong and almost impossible to break. The Ruvuma is not a common spider who evolved in the hot and deep gruits near the Argor volcano. This spider has a uncommon quantity of eyes. As it is know them spiders have eight eyes but the Ruvuma spider have four. Two big black eyes in the front and two little eyes in the sides of its head so it can see around. Those big eyes (with the size of an egg!) concede to the Ruvuma spider an excellent vision so it can spot it’s preys. The Ruvuma spiders have ten legs instead of eight; so they can climb and walk better in the irregular caves full of holes and big rocks. Those ten long legs are full of silver colour little spikes who help the Ruvuma to climb the walls better and to defend itself from predators (in this case another spiders). Ruvuma’s spiders head is the weirdest part of it’s body.
It's really huge and has two enormous fangs, and a strange third fang under its mouth that helps the Ruvuma to squash and kill the victim better.
 Female Ruvuma spiders are silver colour full of black and white points and the males in the acasalation time are red. The silver colour helps them to hide in the rocks and the Ruvuma seems a huge granite block. It's abdomen is strange tough it’s round and not very big, and it’s cefalotorax ins’t big too. Like all spiders have to drop their skin so is common to see huge skins hanged in the walls in the dwarves mines of Tyr Thromgolin. This spider has cruel claws in the tips of their ten legs.
The only spider that maybe is different from all the other is the queen. Ruvuma’s queen spiders are all black with a white circular patron in its back, and its fangs are white too. Its known that dwarves don’t like these skins who are huge, because it’s signal that their lair is not far.
The Ruvuma’s silk is a thick black silk and Ruvuma spiders have indeed two types of silks. One which is white, that they use to make nests and traps for other animals and a black silk that is very thick and that Ruvuma spiders use to kill preys or trap the opposites in a fight between two queens.

Special Abilities:
The Ruvuma spiders are formidable predators and are equipped with a huge wide of mortal weapons. The first weapon are their fangs. The Ruvuma spiders fangs are huge and the fangs are curved and when they bit the prey and it is probable to kill it instantly.
The second mortal weapon are the claws. The claws are curved and retractile so the spider doesn’t has any problem walking. But when it takes the claws off, ten dark curved shaped claws appear and the spider use them to hit the prey/enemy or involve it in dark silk.
The third abilitiy is the silk especially the dark one. The dark silk is a thick silk used by the Ruvuma spiders to involve the prey/enemy in it. The silk is more tick than normal silk and it’s very liquid. The silk is irritant when in contact with skin or fur.
The fourth ability is the more useful for the spider: it’s their vision. It's the Ruvuma’s accurate vision that makes them a formidable hunter. They can see in the dark, and they can see with clarity and almost in 360º wide around them so attacking a spider from the back is useful.
The last ability of the Ruvuma spider is its intelligence. The Ruvuma spiders are very intelligent and they communicate to each other with a sophisticated body language. They have a complex hierarchy and restrict social rules. The Tyr Thromgolin dwarves even say that they know Thergrim basic words but that’s just a myth.

Territory:
The Ruvuma spider is originally of the gruits of the Xythrian Range and the hot temperatures in there (because of the near magma of the Argor volcano) make that Ruvuma spiders skin isn’t very thick neither with fur. The climate is not very hot but as going deeper the temperature starts getting insupportable.

Habitat/Behaviour:
The Ruvuma spiders do few things in their simple life. They eat tiny insects, dwarves (if they can kill them)  and worms in the caves and sometimes other spiders too. Their habitat is very limited because it is only compost of rock and darkness and no plants. So its probable to see a Ruvuma spider eating. Other thing they do is communicate by body signals. Normally, they only communicate in two situations when they are fighting or when they are chasing some prey. You can see Ruvuma spend most of their time in the lair fighting each other to achieve the queen position in the Ruvuma spider society.

Diet:
As said the Ruvuma spiders diet is basically what appears in their way. They can eat fungus, mushrooms, plants, dwarves, humans, elves, spiders, worms, moles, rats, etc…
They eat the all animal in one piece opening their mouth wide open and then swallowing the entire animal. The Ruvuma spiders take a long time to digest so after a meal they go to their lair to rest.

Mating:
As other spiders, Ruvuma spiders’ mating is very complex. The male spiders(who are very small and red) enter the gigantic female web and carefully they go up to the female spider and the male put its sperm o the female oviculum. The female normally after this process kills and eats the little male, so the Ruvuma society is composed in majority by females.
The female makes then an egg sack were it puts the eggs. After some months the eggs ecloed and hundreds of tiny spiders start walking and go away from the lair into the gruits. Because the mother doesn’t protect them, in this early phase most of them dies eaten by predators or smashed by dwarves.

Myth/lore/Origin:

There is a Theregrim epic poem that talks about a hero who killed the mightiest queen ever lived and his name was Losaz about Ruvuma spiders which go like this:

The elder kings of the dwarves
Said that there was a terrible peril
In the south volcano of the lands of Sarvonia
Were the lava shine as beryl
They thought for days
Like are the dwarves thinking ways
And finally they decided
Who was going there
Selected the hero Lorsaz, The Bear
His beard was black and made well
But was him
That went to the caves were peril dwelt

He went to the south
And reached the open mouth
Of Tyr Thromgolin
Were the finest jewels were made in
He went down there down to the king
And the king said high
“Lorsaz save us from this damnation
It´s not our fault to live near this beasteal creation
We dont fear them but we can´t kill those demons
From the spiders who lurk below
They can kill our mightiest guard in a go
Be careful Lorsaz, son of Thror
´Cause you are going to knock
At deaths door”
But Lorsaz went on
With is brave spirit flaming
He took a bunch of guards
And so then he went forwards
He killed many spiders with his brave mace
He was so habil that even the spiders
Didn’t saw the peril
He get into the lair
It was in that lair that the biggest Ruvuna queen ever
Was waiting for him
And there below the earth
The fight between dwarf and spider was fair and square
In the end only one stranded
Gazed at the other
The dwarf against the queen
Like a bad dream
Lorsaz tried a shot
But with its claws the spider got
His arm and his leg
Then the smart Lorsaz appeared dead
The queen opened her mouth
To swallow the hero lying as defeated
But he wasn’t consumed
´Cause he smashed the queens head
And blood dirtied him full of red
He yelled out loud
And all the dwarves thought
That the spiders were finally out
But a bunch of little spiders eclode from the morbid body
And the curse began again
Even Lorsaz legend
Was singed as the spiders end

Done…
Are my texts so bad ( cry)???
« Last Edit: 06 December 2007, 04:24:49 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged

Pedro Abreu
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2007, 09:45:59 »

Please put up the correct development icon.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2007, 15:50:44 »

Very interesting.

Did you consider putting up a request to develop this monster?
Did you check in with the senior developer responsible for the dwarves before adding such an important change to their culture?
Did you read any details about the tribe, area, and ecosystem into which you would like to put this spider?

While I detest squelching creativity, I really must object to 'godmoding' in my particular area of responsibility.     There are a number of impracticallities and actual errors - doubtless a result of inadequate research.  C

To take just one example, claiming that dwarves aren't 'brave enough' to hunt down spiders which are infesting their mines (which spaces they would have initially tunnelled and excavated in the first place) is not only offensively phrased (we try to write as objective Compendium researchers here) but inaccurate.   

Having said that, I rather like the poem - naively charming and possibly salvageable.

I will go over this with a fine-tooth comb if necessary, but I'd like some feedback from the other moderators as well.

Deci, hon, could you read through the content and give me your reaction?  Drasil, your thoughts?  XO from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2007, 04:48:03 »

Well...Firstly...This is quite ambitious for a first project. Mine was a beast, but nothing of this scale- a normal sized snake. You should of requested permission from me before attempting something so large IMO.

Secondly, your work is wrought with grammar errors- and since I assume you are portugese this is understandable....but a spellchecker is advisable to be used.

In addition, the honourable Bard seems to find your content horribly inaccurate and a contradiction of her extensive work in the past. I know nothing in comparison to Judith, and so I must accept her opinion, especially on dwarves, is almost law.

Your beast is doable- but I doubt it is suitable as a first entry and would take a long time...

Decipher

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2007, 20:36:23 »

Deci, precognition of every beast is not required.  While I agree that the beast needs to be toned down, he should not be expected to have to run the beast by you before posting.  I know I didn't run my first bestiary entry by the mod when I joined...
Alohar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2007, 04:17:44 »

Hi guys wanna say that i dont see too much cultural impact in my entry (and you are right i have some grammar erros; i have 12 years old and im portuguese  :P) The only thing that has cultural impact is the poem. Which i can erase if u want.
The rest i think its ok.
Ive taken out all the things realted to dwarves.

Pedro Abreu
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2007, 04:26:00 »

You still have a few dwarf references so I'd suggest PMing Judy with your ideas to see if she accepts them. Other than that, there wasn't anything extremely hopeless about your entry.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2007, 04:29:10 »

Drasil, I'm sorry to have to disagree here.

I was the one who suggested that he should have asked first; however, I don't think Alohar has any idea of the complexity of the site, the carefully woven cross-referencing and consistency of the cultures, or the interdependency of the ecosystems we are using. 

The beast is just not very plausible - giant intelligent spiders who live in volcanoes? ) and removing all references to dwarves (which has not, in fact, been done) is hardly a remedy but a step in the wrong direction, simplifying the 'entry' even further rather than attempting to immerse it in the existing material. 

Had this been proposed by a more senior member who is able to rationalize and extrapolate on the concept, I might still have had doubts, but would be willing to work with him/her to fuse the beast with the Thromgolin culture.  I'm sure you could have pulled it off, but as it is, Alohar's lack of ability to accept critique and even to use a spellchecker does not fill me with a great deal of confidence that this could be effectively reworked.

If this seems harsh, apologies, but so far I've only seen mere D&D pastiche and an unbecoming attitude.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2007, 04:31:54 »

Judith, I didn't say the entry was perfect, I simply said that he was at least doing some work.  On the issue of removing dwarves, I completely disagree with you as IMHO it is a large step in the right direction.  One's first entry should not be as complex as Alohar made his and removing this factor should simplify the process for him.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2007, 04:45:19 »

Hmmm, good point, Drasil.  Simplification may be the only way to go here. I don't think the location is going to work anyhow - so moving them from the dwarven volcano will solve that particular issue.

However, do you think he can make them at all plausible? Barring complete isolation?  (rolls eyes dubiously)   

Anyhow, do put the scroll down and come and have some hot cheese dip with fresh tuberroot Timbers... everything looks more optimistic on a full stomach!

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2007, 05:03:40 »

On appearance; This beast is a mess! It's body parts are just glued together without reasoning, or consideration of what the changes will do to the poor spider! Overall, this is a very, very lacking creature in terms of being thought through before writing.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alohar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2007, 21:32:56 »

sure dudde only to say that: how can i erase my posts?
I want to erase this 1

Pedro Abreu
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2007, 22:39:34 »

You can (in order of easiness)

a)  just leave it alone and don't post - it will sink to the bottom of the forum and be 'lost'

b) use 'edit' on your initial post to erase the contents

c) ask the webmaster to delete the whole thing, including the comments.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2007, 00:14:07 »

We do prefer option A, by the way.. even bad ideas should not be discarted, you never know when you mgiht need them again..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]