Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Macar's composition studio  (Read 17723 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #60 on: 20 August 2008, 03:21:15 »

*hihi* Nice prophecy you've got there, Macar... lol

The piece, though yet unfinished, sounds like a nice travelling theme to me. A more quiet and playful music, one could interpret it as someone going through a meadow and see butterflies fly by and stuff. I could also imagine it as the Lorehold gardens theme perhaps, where the player explores the beauty of the plants? At any rate very cool stuff, Macar! Would love to see it finished and integrate it somewhere :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #61 on: 02 September 2008, 10:19:35 »

eherm- here's that
http://media.putfile.com/wonderment

And something else to boot- if you want it.
http://media.putfile.com/Strange-land-70

As you can see I've been harpy lately....

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 September 2008, 20:56:39 »

I like the second one. In terms of where it could fit in it could make a Marmarran Funeral tune or it kind of reminds of what I had in mind for the mood of the Late Tiquaitan Kingdom. For either instance I could write some sort of literary piece to accompany and relate it to- though as stand alone pieces of music they would still be nice additions.

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 02 September 2008, 22:57:41 »

a paired poem could be a nice enhancement. If you are inspired to write one, please feel more than free! (I'm assuming you meant poem when you said literary peice- rather than an essay or something :P)

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 September 2008, 23:04:47 »

Poem probably haha.....An essay might be a tad trickier....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 September 2008, 23:33:45 »

A bit harpy?

I also like the second piece, but I think you can do much more with it. Just like you did with the Lorehold Theme, I think there are possibilities with strings (long notes, shifting chords, that kind of thing) and perhaps also with horns or the like.

The first one is nice but a little chaotic. The part after the introduction (0:10 and further on, which solves into another section approx. 0:30) has a lot of ideas, but I'd either create a seperate piece out of it, or elaborate more on it, so that it has more body inside the current piece. The latter half I like much better, there seems more unity here, especially in ideas, both with melody and instrumentation. It sounds truly Macarian (not to be confused with Marresque). I'm curious what Deci might come up with!

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 03 September 2008, 03:32:53 »

Ah, I see the musical experts are talking here ;) Personally I like it that way as well, it evokes a lot of images and pictures (as already mentioned above). But yes, maybe more could be done with the piece here and there, I like it nevertheless the way it evolves.  thumbup

Strange Land is also pretty interesting - and if Decipher can give it a context/tradition or a poem to give the piece even more depth, that would make things perfect. :) There's always the problem on how precisely we integrate a piece on the site, so it should stand for something and be explained, so anything that adds to that is welcome. Usage in Santhworld can be independent from the meaning we give it on site, as it only needs to fit the context.

BTW: Has any of you sound artists something on the comical side perhaps? Something like a funny background music? I think about the Santhworld room of Nolan and his drinking buddy. While the cellar down there is more sinister, once the player reaches their room the dialogues get rather comical, so anything that could work as an ambience music for that would be cool as well.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 03 September 2008, 07:26:03 »

That sounds like fun- I'd like to poke around with the idea when I get some time again. 

As for the first piece being scattered, I'm not suppirzed to hear that- as I wish I had put more thought into it: I'm trying to write more intelegently lately.  But I'm supprized you dont think the first part goes with the introduction, as I see it as a variation on the same idea.  It's the end- basicly the stuff I added after the WIP I posted that I feel like got tacked on without the proper integration.  (and btw- I thought of the harpy joke too- but I decided to spare everyone :P )

I agree with what you said, Artimore, about the integration of music.  Maybe someday I'll invest the real time I need to in learning Santh-lore.  As of now, I'm woefully uneducated, and I guess that's why my pieces dont always know where they want to go- lorewise. :(

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #68 on: 11 December 2008, 01:12:32 »

Dear Santharians,

I still live and have not forgotten you.  Times have been busy, and Nirune has been consuming the little free time that I have.  I'm comming up on a break of sorts and I'm hoping to make the time to write a piece or two for you.

Love,
His Frojnel Klompesty, Macar Irandir

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #69 on: 11 December 2008, 01:32:36 »

In this very moment your site does not load, Macar...  *waves*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 11 December 2008, 04:33:56 »

Nice to hear from you again, Macar! wave

One of your pieces has been used recently as the main theme of the Santhworld Nepris module in the Fizzlefist dungeon - when programming the whole thing I've heard it dozens of time, and it's pretty cool stuff. So I'm hoping for more of that kind that we can use as background themes if you can get to it! number1

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #71 on: 15 December 2008, 03:22:32 »

Glad to hear my music is still being used (I'll have to check it out)

As for my banner not working- we moved to a new domain and server.  I was going to wait to announce it because we're soon to update our forum software and to add some material to the site (It kills me that I dont have the know-how to just do it myself or it would be done now  angry ) anyway- if you want to find us in the meantime: www.realmsofrenth.com

Aaand, here's something new.  It's an attempt at the long ago requested theme for Nolan.  However, if that's already been written I hope you'll find something else to use it for:

http://boxstr.com/files/4351419_ghjld/We%5C%27renotasthinkasyoudrunkweare.mp3

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 15 December 2008, 04:30:33 »

I see what you tried to do here, Macar, yet it has some undeniable problems to work as an ambience music when I integrated it into the module. You see, the problem is that it works best if the music stays pretty much in the background and the player doesn't think about it. Here, as it you're trying to immitate the drunkards with the music, and the music occasionally stops etc. it gets difficult for the player to see it as a background think, as it gets in the foreground. The problem is of course that I cannot direct what the player is reading or seeing at the point the music plays, so there's an inconsistency between the music and what takes place in the game.

There are various parts in the piece where the music just plays the melody, which works best in the context I think. Well, check it out yourself and see what I mean. I've uploaded it now on the server - just go down in the cellar to Nolan's room (in the NE) and listen for yourself.

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 15 December 2008, 23:36:05 »

I'll see if I can come up with a more narrative version then.  I may just cut the intro.  Also, I'll give it a try sometime, to see what you mean.

Would you like some tense combat music? (something in the vein of "orcish brutality") I thought when I was playing the game yesterday that the combat music seemed a little calm- mind you that with the turn based combat it does tend to be a little calmer and more methodical, but still combat is always high stakes.

Maybe something tense but not quite as much as orc. brut.?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #74 on: 16 December 2008, 00:33:40 »

Yeah, more combat music would be great as well, sure! :) We could then use a combat music jukebox and each new combat you get another music. Or we could use a very powerful music if you fight really strong enemies. I'd be happy to integrate that!  grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]