Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Harden/Earth Magic/Level 3  (Read 2900 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 March 2008, 01:39:26 »

The Harden Spell is one of the spells that are taught to beginning mages.It is a basic spell yet only a few students could do it well. The spell increases the hardness of any material to add strength or durability. It is mainly used by war mages on the walls of their cities and their gates. But also, rarely, on enemy weapons to cause them to become brittle as glass.

The spell can be casted on everything. Some mages say that if a powerful mage concentrates hard enough, he or she can even turn water into an ice like substance. When it comes to casting in a living thing, the spell can be disastrous. If the spell was cast on a body, then the body might stiffen and the blood will become thicker and might eventually stop flowing. The skin would become harder but the effect would proabably kill the target if maintained for long periods of time..

Spell Effect:
The spell's effect is quite straightforward and simple: it will cause any object to become harder than its original state. The mage does this by tapping on the earth ounia of the target, then, increasing its influence on the target and concentrating on raising the hardness property of the Earth ounia.

The spell can be cast on everything without any unwanted consequences (if done properly). One example is if the spell was casted on an object where earth is the dominant element. The mage might cause the object to become too brittle to be of use if the earth ounia is raised too much. The effect, however; can be an advantage to the enemies. 

Casting Procedure:
Beginners might have problems casting the spell so it is advised that they be in contact with the target. The mage may also want to hold something hard like a stone or a piece of metal to help them visualize the physical strength of the earth. The mage then proceeds to tap on the Earth ounia of the object's car'all. Next, he or she must try on concentrating on raising the influence of the Earth ounia and especially their  hardness property. The mage, however; must make sure that they do not overwhelm an object with its own Earth ounia if they desire to give the object more endurance. If they ovewhelm the object with its own Earth ounia, it might become brittle and would be useless, although it can also have its advantages. If an enemy would be able to perform the spell and overwhelm an object with its Earth ounia, then the object would become brittle leaving it useless.

Magical Formula:
To be defined

Target:
Anything but is is discourage on living beings.

Reagents:
A stone or something else that is hard.

Magical School:
Earth

Spell Class:
Spell Class 1: Rigidity (Physical Respresentation of Solidity)

Range:
Beginners have to be in contact with the target for a succefull casting. As the mage's power increases, the spell's range also increases. The ranges of particular levels are estimated to be as follow:
Level 3 - 4: The caster can be in contact or up to half a ped away from the target.
Level 5 - 7: The range is up to a few peds from the target.
Level 8 - 11: The range can be up to 11 peds or more.

Casting Time:
The spell generally takes a few blinks to cast.

Duration:
The spell's effect will last as long as the caster continues to concentrate on the spell.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures:
An Earth mage can do the opposite of the spell and decrease the influence of the earth ounia on the target. However, if the spell is being used for defense such as strengthening a wall, an Earth mage may just increase the influence and overwhelm the target to make it brittle and making it easier to break. Knocking the caster out of concentration also works.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2008, 14:46:50 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2008, 12:58:19 »

The strengthen You should capitalise a word if it's being used as a name.  This applies to 'Earth' as well, when referring to the element.  Also, perhaps 'Harden' might be a better name?    spell is a basic spell yet only a few students successfully cast the spell on a target.  I doubt it would be so hard that very few could do it, given that it's only level 3.  Perhaps you could instead say that not many could do it well?   The spell focuses on strengthening the physical aspect rather than the spiritual aspect of the target. This spell is often considered to be a variation of the spell petrify Not really, I think.  There are similarities, but since they are in different Spheres, they wouldn't be considered variants of each other.   but this spell is concentrates more on defense than offense though it could be used in both.

Spell Effect:
The effect is simple, it will physically harden any target the caster desires to cast this spell on. The reason why the spell is not taught on to students at level one is because of the side effect if the spell is "overly done". It can harden the object to the point where the purpose of the spell which would be to harden the object for more physical endurance will be lost. If this spell is overly done 'Overdone', I think.   , the object will become hard but at the cost of it becoming brittle as glass although this effect can be used on enemy walls and gates.

Generally, this section is used for describing the technical details of what the spell does, while more general things are put in the overview section. 

Casting Procedure:
It is advised for beginners to be in contact in with the target. Also, it would be very helpful to have  a piece of stone or metal to feel the physical endurance of the earth. Then the mage will start to focus on the earth ounia of the object and start to increase 'increase the influence of' its property of hardness on the object. If used for straighten strengthening walls or such for defense, the mage must be careful not to overwhelm the object with the earth ounia This is somewhat ambiguious, as it could be interpreted as adding too much ounia, which is a Sphere 3 thing.  Perhaps you could change the wording somewhat?  or else its flexibility would be lost and it will become brittle. Although if in use to 'if used to' destroy or weaken structures, overwhelming the object with the earth ounia would be a good idea.  Might not be the best way though, because assuming it's a fairly large structure, you would still need quite a lot of force to shatter it.  Simply weakening Earth influence might be better in many cases. 

Magical Formula:
To be defined

Focus/target:
Anything, although objects having low amounts of earth ounia is preferred since the property of hardness of the earth ounia could be expressed more without suffering the consequences.  But don't you think it would also not be possible to harden it as much, given the lower amount of Earth ounia present to work with?  However, the mage may also cast this on living objects although there will be serious and dangerous consequences.

Reagents:
A stone or something hard.

Magical School:
Earth

Spell Class:

Range:
Beginners would have the need to have contact with the object and as the level and experience increases, the range doubles.  Double of nothing...is still nothing.  I think you left out something here. 

Casting Time:
For beginners, the casting time would take around 10 minutes up to 15 minutes to cast the spell. But by level 6, the casting time dramastically decreases to several blinks.  This is really long.  Other level 3 Sphere 1 spells on the site generally require only blinks to cast. 

Duration:
The spell would have its effect as long as the caster continues to concentrate on maintaining the strength of the earth ounia. 'Maintaining the spell' would do.  Or something like 'maintaining the increased influence of Earth ounia/the increased strength at which the Earth ounia express their properties'. 

An earth mage can do the opposite of the spell and decrease the influence of the earth ounia on the target. However, if the spell is being used for defense such as strengthening a wall, an earth mage may just increase the influence and overwhelm the target to make it brittle and making it easier to break.

A wind mage may also increase the influence of the wind ounia to decrease the influence of the earth ounia.  Well, all elements can indirectly decrease another element's influence by increasing their own influence.  A more direct way would be increasing the influence of the opposite property, if there is one. 

But the best way to stop the spell is to knock the cast out his or her focus.

Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2008, 13:02:13 »

I'd recommend adding a bit more 'oomph'. You're very broad with your description of the effect and the casting procedure. I get what the spell does, essentially but you'll need to be more specific as to the 'how'. How exactly does increasing the hardness property effect them? Does this make them more stone-like (slow and such, stone-like body, etc), or does it simply make them more resilient (as in, a blade will still go through, they'll still be fleshly physical, but it'd be like the difference between cutting through pure water or cutting through thick sludge).

Essentially, just saying 'increase the hardness property' is a bit vague. Try and describe how exactly increasing that property affects the Car'all, and, ultimately, the person's physical make-up.

*Too slow, Mina beat my post!  :D*
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2008, 15:28:35 »

Updated... hope it better

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2008, 10:59:12 »

1) What happens if the spell is cast on people or other organics? Saying 'the object hardens' is okay for non-animate objects, but people is a different matter. Is it safe to cast on them? Does their skin become 'thicker', to the point that movement is difficult? Do they become heavier (thus too much would prevent weaker people from standing)?

2) You mention 'feet' and 'meters' in the range. We don't have feet and meters in Santharia, we have peds.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2008, 14:09:07 »

sorry 'bout that.. did not notice the feet.

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2008, 12:04:33 »

Will let Mina take the next round of comments, since you've answered my concerns so far and it looks mostly okay from my end.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2008, 15:55:08 »

Thanks fox, will be waiting :)

My Development Schedule
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2008, 03:42:10 »

Okay, I don't think there's much problem with the content anymore.  The language could probably use a bit of work though.  I'll give it a try, but I'm not a native speaker of English, so you might want to get someone else to have a look too. 

The Harden spell is one of the spells that are taught to the beginning mages is the Harden Spell. It is a basic spell, yet only a few students could do it well. The spell would increases the hardness of any material to add strength or durability. It is mainly used by war mages on the walls of their cities and to their gates (Actually, I think it is more likely that they would, at least for larger cities, have better, more permanent spells to do this.  But this spell could certainly work too, especially when mages who can cast the better spells aren't available.  ), but also rarely on enemy weapons to cause them to become brittle as glass.

The spell can be casted on everything. Some mages say that if a powerful mage concentrates hard enough, he or she can even turn water into an ice like substance. When it comes to casting the spell on a living thing, the spell can be disastrous. If the spell was cast on a body, then the body might stiffen and the blood will become thicker and might eventually stop flowing. The skin would become harder but the effect would proabably kill the target if maintained for long periods of time.

Spell Effect:
The spell's effect is quite straightforward and simple: it will cause any object to become harder than its original state. The mage does this by tapping on the earth ounia of the target, then, increasing its influence on the target and concentrating on raising the hardness property of the Earth ounia.

The spell can be cast on everything without any unwanted consequences. One example is if the spell was casted on an object where the the Earth ounia is the dominant element. The mage might cause the object to become too brittle to be of use if the Earth influence is raised too much. The effect, however, can be an advantage to the enemies. (I'm confused here.  It sounds like there can indeed be unwanted consequenvces, which you said at the beginning of the paragraph there wouldn't be.  )

Casting Procedure:
Beginners might have problems casting the spell so it is advised that they be in contact with the target. The mage may also want to hold something hard like a stone or a piece of metal to help them visualize the physical strength of the earth. The mage then proceeds to tap on the Earth ounia of the object's car'all. Next, he or she must try on concentrating on raising the influence of the Earth ounia and especially their hardness property more. The mage, however, must make sure that they do not overwhelm an object with its own Earth ounia if they desire to give the object more endurance. If they ovewhelm the object with its own Earth ounia, it might become brittle and would be useless, although it can also have its advantages.  (You might want to explain what these advantages are.  )

Magical Formula:
To be defined

Target:
Anything (This is technically enough, but more details here would be good.  For example, you could mention how it is dangerous to use it on living beings.  )

Reagents:
A stone or something else that is hard.

Magical School:
Earth

Spell Class:

Range:
Beginners would have to be in contact with the target for a succefull casting. As the mage's experience increases ('Power' might be a better word here.  'Experience' makes it sound too much like a game.  ), the spell's range also increases. The ranges of particular levels are estimated to be as follow:
Level 3 - 4: The caster can be in contact or up to half a ped away from the target.
Level 5 - 7: The range is up to a few peds from the target.
Level 8 - 11: The range can be up to 11 peds or more.

Casting Time:
The spell generally takes a few blinks to cast.

Duration:
The spell's effect will last as long as the caster continues to concentrate on the spell.

An Earth mage can do the opposite of the spell and decrease the influence of the earth ounia on the target. However, if the spell is being used for defense such as strengthening a wall, an Earth mage may just increase the influence and overwhelm the target to make it brittle and making it easier to break. Knocking the caster out of concentration also works.

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2008, 04:41:05 »

Helvil, if you can get Mina's comments integrated before this weekend, that'd be great. I have no real further comments from my side so once you look at integrating Mina's, I should be able to get this prepared for this weekend's update. I'll probably touch up the English a bit when I prepare it as well, but as Mina said, content-wise it's fine.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2008, 23:14:43 »

Mina's Comment are incorporated :)

My Development Schedule
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent