Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Spell Update / Boiling Blood / Fire School / Level II  (Read 6462 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« on: 11 April 2008, 04:20:22 »

Overview.

When cast upon a living being or animal, the spell "Boiling Blood" affects the target's heart, muscles and blood in a few ways - the heart will pump faster sending blood coursing through the body at an increased rate. This affects the target's muscles giving the target increased stamina and strength. This spell can be used for a quick boost before a fight, to aid in a quick escape from danger or to simply gain an added increase in energy for general purposes.

Spell Effect.

When the Boiling Blood spell is cast, the target experiences an increase in heart rate, blood flow and muscle stimulation. To do this, the caster must first affect the heart and will it to pump faster and harder in order to increase the flow of blood to the body.

The caster focuses on the spiritual side of fire on the target's heart; particularly the spiritual property of fire over animation. Using Sphere I techniques, the caster must increase the influence of this property. The caster strengthens and wills the heart to work harder. When this occurs, the blood begins to flow throughout the body at a faster rate, especially to the muscles. Again, by focusing and increasing the spiritual side of fire within the target's muscles, the caster wills the muscles, along with the increased blood flow, to give the target a boost in strength and stamina.

A possible negative by-effect of the the "Boiling Blood" spell is that the target will experience a certain tiredness after the effects of the manipulated heart, muscles and blood wears off. The level of fatigue is determined by the overall physical shape that the target is in and the caster's level of skill: the higher the spell level of the caster, and the more physically fit the target, the less the target will experience fatigue afterwards. The reason for this is that a higher level caster has better control over the target's heart and can slow the heart down slowly thereby eliminating the sudden drop in energy.

Casting Procedure.

In order to perform the spell, the caster is required to have direct contact with the target. Usually, the caster touches the target's neck in order to have a more direct line to the body's artery. In most cases, the focus time required to cast the spell takes up to half a minute. Once the caster can successfully increase the animation property within the target's heart, muscles and blood, the heart will quicken its rate of beats thus allowing the blood to flow easily to the muscles.

Magical Formula.

Yet to be defined.

Target.

"Boiling Blood" can be cast on any living being possessing a heart, blood and muscles.

Reagents.

Rat Blood, water (used to touch the target's neck near his/her artery).

Magical School.

Fire School / Level II

Spell Class.

Sphere I, Pyrification (Physical Representation of the Fire School)

Range.

In most cases, for casters of lower level, the caster is required to physically touch the target. The spell cannot be cast upon a group of beings as the caster cannot possibly physically touch more than one or two individuals.

However, a caster of high enough level and expertise is no longer required to touch the target(s), but simply to focus on raising the influence of the spiritual fire ounia within the target's body and manipulate the heart and blood. In theory, there is no limit on how many targets a high level caster can influence. The range, however, would most likely be limited to no more than three to four peds.

Casting Time.

Higher level casters can affect the target's fire ounia within a few blinks while a low level caster can usually take a minute or more to cast the spell.

Duration.

For lower level casters, the spell's duration can last approximately 2-3 minutes, usually enough for support in a quick fight, escape or simply to give a boost of energy when needed before the heart and muscles return to their normal state of activity.

Higher level casters need only focus on the target's fire ounia for as long as needed for the target to accomplish the task at hand. Once the caster dismisses or loses the focus, the organs and blood will return to their normal state.

Duration is also measured by how physically fit the target is. A target who is fit will able to better endure the effects of the spell whereas an unhealthy target will still be able to gain the benefits of the spell, the level of fatigue when the spell wears off will be greater.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures.

If the heart is slowed and thereby slowing the flow of blood to the muscles, the target will lose the effects of the spell. A caster skilled in fire magic can attempt to lower the target's heart rate by decreasing the influence of the spiritual side of fire ounia in the heart and therefore successfully countering the spell's effects.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2008, 14:46:21 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2008, 06:16:41 »

Hey, I was planning on doing that one! ;)

Glad to see you weren't completely frightened away from magic. I'll give this a check sometime tonight or tomorrow, once I get a free moment. :)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2008, 11:34:29 »

Boy, seems I'm stepping on some toes today... cry

Fox, if you claimed this spell, then I can drop it and do another, it's fine.  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2008, 14:14:26 »

I was joking. :P It was next on my list to update once I got some free time, but having someone else handle it is just fine, less work for me. :)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2008, 21:39:01 »

I've done the first update attempt on this spell and it is ready for comment!  grin

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2008, 14:41:23 »

You might want to change the word "none" in the magic formula area to "yet to be define"

Also, the duration period says that the duration is fixed. I thought sphere one relies on the concentration to maintain the effect. If the mage loses concentration, the spell slowly wears off.

And also, the range part. I was wondering if a high level mage would be limited to two targets at anytime. Maybe lower mages have to touch the target but maybe higher level mages could use the spell without contact.

No magic expert here... purely speculations  grin

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2008, 21:15:00 »

Ah, nice catch Helvil! I've integrated your comments and have changed the Duration and Range. It makes more sense now (I think...)  ;)

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2008, 09:29:35 »

No problem!  thumbup - glad  I could help

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2008, 10:50:55 »

First off, we don't have seconds. Anything faster than one minute is defined as 'blinks' (which, note, aren't 'seconds', they're rough 'quick time spans'. If you want 30 seconds, say 'a half of a minute', or 'half-minute').

Next, about the spell itself:

I'm not a biologist, so I'm not sure if I'm correct here, but as far as I know, the heat of the blood is not really a correlation of how fast it moves through the body. I know that's the original way the spell was designed, but perhaps change it so that you heat up the heart and muscles instead, increasing the rate of activity (beats) to increase the speed of the blood (thus supplying more oxygen, though don't say that in the entry), which allows the muscles to work faster and harder. Heating it up also wouldn't be the 'true' effect of the spell, but rather the increase in the influence of fire ounía increases the emotional desire of the heart and muscles (as in, it has the 'will' to work harder, similar to how some RL stories talk of people performing miraculous feats of strength in dire, emotional situations (like a single person lifting a helicopter briefly to get a man out from under it))
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2008, 12:39:15 »

the increase in the influence of fire ounía increases the emotional desire of the heart and muscles (as in, it has the 'will' to work harder, similar to how some RL stories talk of people performing miraculous feats of strength in dire, emotional situations (like a single person lifting a helicopter briefly to get a man out from under it))

I am not sure I understand how increasing the influence of the fire ounia in the heart and muscles "increases the emotional desire" of the heart...

I wondered this same thing actually but didn't want to go so far as change the original spell mechanics. Heating the blood won't necessarily make it flow faster, but increasing the heart rate would. Hrmm...biologically speaking, I still do not make the connection between increasing the influence of fire ounia and heart rate...in a physiological sense I mean. I'd need to give it more thought...

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2008, 15:30:36 »

Spiritual aspects of it. In the real world, there is no 'spirit' to things (debateably depending on culture). In Santharia however, Car'all is spirit as well as physical. Essentially the heart is performing better than would be natural because it has the drive to, even if such a drive is purely in a non-physical sense. Just as skeletons can be made by 'breathing the fire of life' into their bones, giving them the will to perform action for the user even if such action defies physics.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2008, 10:34:38 »

I don't know if this would of any help but...

Isn't it when a liquid (although blood is part liquid and solid) is heated, it becomes agitated? Maybe that will also happen to the blood and with the help of veins and arteries, it would be guided to specific pathways but will be moving much faster?

My Development Schedule
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2008, 10:46:46 »

I had thought that this spell was purely a physical manipulation, being a low level spell that it is, but if the introduction of the spiritual aspect is introduced, the entire spell would would have to be re-written... :P

I'd wonder if what Fox is suggesting would work better as a higher level spell that involves the physical and spiritual manipulation of the body perhaps achieving different results...kind of like an advanced Boiling Blood spell.

As it looks now, this update may take awhile... :P

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2008, 12:03:25 »

Using spiritual instead of physical isn't something that needs a higher level. Doing physical or spiritual is equally effective. Don't assume that spiritual aspects of a spell are more difficult, Azhira. They use the same principles and are no more difficult to accomplish than an equivalent physical manipulation.

As it stands right now, I'm unsure of how a completely physical method to this spell could work. Usually, the heating of blood is the result of activity rather than vice versa, so simply heating the blood would, as far as I know, not produce any proper effect. Therefore, spiritual is needed. I don't think it'd be too difficult to change.

It wouldn't really be a higher spell, in any case. Afterall, it's still sphere 1 effects.

*edit* Also, only formulas are 'to be defined', not reagents. While we don't have 'required' reagents, the reagents field indicates any object you think might be of help for the spell's effects.

« Last Edit: 14 April 2008, 12:56:11 by Fox » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2008, 23:37:55 »

Ooookay. Updated to reflect Fox's comments. I tried to integrate more of the spiritual aspects of the spell, albeit with mixed success I think...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]