Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Kaaer'dár'shín Half-Orcs - 1st Revision  (Read 25457 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2008, 23:45:14 »

I know that this is probably early, but I'd like to open up this entry with some initial comments on the Overview, Appearance, Coat of Arms and Territory that I have finished. Thanks!  thumbup thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2008, 01:35:30 »

Comments in orange

Overview:

The Kaaer'dár'shín (lit. "Black Nights") are a mostly human tribe whose main colony lies in the north western Sarvonian region of Caael'heroth in the Themed'lon forest, northwest of the Imlith Mountains along the southwest coast of the Gulf of Oh'Cant'aelwyn. This tribe is unique in that they are not entirely pure-blooded human, but have traces of orcish ancestry. The Kaaer'dár'shín are a barbaric, hunter/gatherer tribe whose constant battles with their orc neighbors to the north and south have produced a group bred for war and survival.

Appearance:

The orcish ancestry has given the Kaaer'dár'shín powerfully muscular and wider girths than most other human men. They are shorter than most men, with both sexes standing an average of 1.5 peds. Due to this heavier build, their average weight is typically between 1.6 to 2 pygges. (This seems a bit light--I weigh in that range [though I won't say where :)] and am neither particularly muscular nor especially fat) Both sexes share similar builds, but it is their excessive amounts of body hair that makes them unique among other men. (Actually, orcs don't have a lot of body hair, and neither do the Kuglimz peoples [with whom the Kaaer'dár'shín probably share common ancestry] so this seems unlikely)

The Kaaer'dár'shín men possess thick, sturdy builds. Their upper body strength enables them to wield heavy tools and weapons but, interestingly enough, the the Kaaer'dár'shín are not brute warriors. Instead, they are well suited for stealth and are quite swift runners, capable of maneuvering through thick forest areas even at night. They have lean legs and wide feet well suited for running. The Kaaer'dár'shín also possess large, nimble hands with long dexterous fingers. Their grip is strong and they wield their weapons with extraordinary agility. The Kaaer'dár'shín are not known to be overweight in any way as every member of the tribe is taught to work and train to survive and to hone their bodies to be physically fit. The Kaaer'dár'shín women are similar in body type, slightly shorter than the men, but no less strong or tough. The women do not possess the shaggy appearance of the men to much of an extent, but are still quite hairy by other human tribal standards.

The Kaaer'dár'shín facial structure is what first belies their orcish ancestry. Both sexes possess wide and flat faces with a high brow and widely spaced eyes. They have wide noses with large nostrils and a high cheekbone structure. Their chins are strong and round with a pronounced jaw line. Unlike orcs, however, the Kaaer'dár'shín do not possess pointed front teeth, but the shape is  square and blocked like that of any other human tribe.  (possibly a bit larger than average?) Their ears are large, with long lobes which the women often decorate with fish scales or metal studs. (Are they pointed like orc ears?) They have thick and short necks that extend down between wide shoulders.

Another unique trait among the Kaaer'dár'shín is their body hair. Both sexes take pride in their hair and wear it long and grow it thick. The men typically have a hair length of three palmspans and usually tie it back behind their heads with a leather lizard skin cord when on a hunt or before a battle. When not fighting or hunting, they wear it loosely hanging over their shoulders and face. The women typically always wear their long hair upright or tied as they work extensively with food preparation and crafting and falling hair strands would only get in their way. But, when not working, the women also wear their hair loosely as the men.

Along with the hair atop the head, the Kaaer'dár'shín men can grow thick beards, but only about one palmspan in length. The beard is kept short by trimming it every few days. The beard is not held to the same high esteem as dwarves hold them and are typically left to grow and to be cut. Like all human tribes, the women can also grow facial hair (Isn't that only under extremely unusual circumstances?  Most human women, Santharian or RL, don't grow facial hair) but find beards unattractive and is probably a passive human trait passed down over generations.

Kaaer'dár'shín are as tall as most other human men, but with a wider muscular girth.  (In the first paragraph of Appearance, you say they are shorter than other men. )Their skin is less ravaged than some of their descendants from North Eastern Sarvonia. They have excessive amounts of hair and hairy bodies and a shaggy countenance appearance, which is attributed to their bloodline. (Again, this is unlikely as I mentioned before)

The Black Nights (This is a confusing title--does it refer to all Kaaer'dár'shín or a select few?) are quite adept at stealth and have above average eyesight in the dark, because most of their activity is done at night.

Coat of Arms/Sign

A basic wooden buckler with two prongs branching off of it. Each representing the two Kaaer'dár'shín tribes of Northern Sarvonia. A dagger is engraved in the wood and pointing at an angle, a representation of a long ago time.

Territory:

The Kaaer'dár'shín occupy a relatively small territory in Northern Sarvonia. They have made their main colony in the Themed'lon forest in the southeastern part of Caael'eroth along a bridge of land going up into the Heaths of Eph'denn, Cartash and the Shadow Coast.

Their territory is mainly forest and plains areas and they have only a small presence in the Imlith mountains for hunting the Tsor-Shotak lizard that resides there. The Kaaer'dár'shín are mainly located along the northwestern base of the Imlith mountains.  Small villages and camps lie scattered throughout this area, that serve as bases for nomadic hunting and war parties. Once the forest borders begin, the villages and encampments grow larger, especially towards the center of the Themed'lon. It is here, between two rivers and two gulfs, is where the Kaaer'dár'shín thrive on the fishing and wooly boar that inhabit the area. The Kaaer'dár'shín can safely call the Themed'lon their own.

Extending northwest out of the Themed'lon forest borders is the plains areas. The Kaaer'dár'shín maintain smaller villages and encampments here in a similar fashion as they do to the south. Nomadic war and hunting parties move all through this plains area and are in nearly constant battle with other nomadic orc war parties. The Kaaer'dár'shín and the orcs have maintained a long war of raids and skirmishes among the Heaths of Eph'denn for hunting and living rights. (Which orc tribe?  Specify somewhere in your entry)

People:

Two of the Kaaer'dár'shíns' known occupations are assassination and killing. Little distinction is made between the two here. (What is the distinction?  And who are the chosen victims  and why? ) However, most families choose killing, which is also another consideration for banishment. If the family hasn’t done a required amount of killing or assassination (of what?  other people? orcs? some other race?)  of some type, they are exiled, thereby maintaining a semblance of populated order. Quite often whole groups of banished families will gang up and threaten the leader with murder. These families are executed, on the spot immediately. (By whom?  And if they are, why does it happen often?)

The Kaeer’dár’shin survive mainly by killing various creatures that roam the land, for example the mountain bison and the Tsor-Shota.

Housing:

The famous assassin Temejin Tarter (50 b.S.-25 b.S.) introduced the Bromer, a hovel type dwelling, that still exists today. These Bromers are built in a cone shape, and covered with the thick fur pelts of the mountain bison, which also provide them with an excellent source of food. The Bromers were kept after the migration from R’unor, and used as a living quarters after the death of Temejin Tartar.

Clothing:

Kaaer'dár'shín tend to wear black apparel and a dark green mantle with dark-brown leather sole pads for stealth with the hide of the Tsor-Shota as armor. Most of them also wear the tusk of a Woolly Boar as a sign of good luck, even their children wear little tusks. It is said to protect them in battle.

Most Black Nights (again, this title is confusing) carry round three pronged bucklers made out of wood, with no design on them. The prongs of the shields are wrapped with the tough scaly hide of Tsor-Shota, which makes them that much stronger. These hides are also used in covering their huts (Bromers).

The Kaaer'dár'shíns' most often used weapon is the Sarvonian Trenchard, which are spear-like weapons with some visible differences. One end is barbed, while the other end is sharpened to a point, much like a harpoon. Because of its barbed end though, it has one fatal flaw. Many times in the heat of combat these barbs became entangled in their enemy’s flesh, and many Black Night deaths have been caused when they go to retrieve it.

Black Nights also commonly carry small weapons used for close combat, like an iron-striker, but instead of wood it is made of iron. The handles of these iron-strikers are wrapped with the cured leather of the Tsor-Shotak beast. Their weapons and armor are always maintained at a premium level of quality.

Diet:

Weapons:

Occupations:

Government:

Since its first colony in the Themed’lon Forests (25 b.S.-0 b.S.) the Kaaer'dár'shín have always maintained a feudal-like system. Their leader Temejin Tartar meted out land according to their importance. But since it was a relatively new system, not much change was made. And with the death of Temejin Tartar, what little social structure they had was brought down, and a simpler way was improvised. (what about the role of women?  Probably somewhat subservient as a holdover from orcish culture)

Production/Trade:

The pelts of the Woolly Bear are prized by the inhabitants of North Eastern Sarvonia, particularly the hide of the Mountain Bison for its durable coat used in the building of Bromers (hut). Therefore Black Nights trade these items with other tribes. (specify who--Kuglimz? Elves? Dwarves?)

However, weapon smithing is the Kaaer'dár'shíns' main trade, brought down from their ancestors. Some of the finest assassin weapons are made in Caeel’heroth.

Natural Resources:

Festivals:

The Kaaer'dár'shíns worship the Goddess Seyella, believing they have a higher purpose, thus forming the first cult. The cult was called The Cult of Aman, but was quickly relegated to paganism and was soon dismissed entirely. Many died in numerous Black Slayer raids, when they did not present arms, believing in the misguided notion they are special. (you are going to need more information here.  Perhaps add some bits from Kuglimz and orcish religious beliefs)

History:

Most Kaeer’dár’shin migrated from the lands of R’unor after the Great Sundering in (250-50). When rumors started coming from the Northeast of a warmer climate and more land, more immigration occurred and soon the Black Nights were burgeoning in population. Others soon came from North eastern Sarvonia, escaping the harsh, icelandic coasts, but many still remain. As more Black Nights escaped the harsh icelandic coasts (repetition!) , attacks became more commonplace, and soon neighboring tribes like the Kaeer’ót’chén (dragon slayers), were fighting for supremacy.

Looking good so far, just a few details to clean up.  Obviously you aren't finished yet but this should help to give you some ideas for where to go next.  I'll keep an eye out for when you want another go-through.

This is going to be a great entry!

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2008, 01:58:23 »

Yes, thank you Alysse. I am relieved that I can drop the "hairy" aspect of these people...I felt like I was writing a tribe of apes instead of men! I had only through Territory finished, the rest after was the original entry I hadn't gotten to yet.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2008, 03:26:33 »

Yup, us fair haired, light-skinned barbarian types up here in the north are just not super hairy folks.  Most of the Kuglimz tribes are red/blond haired, though some of them are slightly darker in colour.  But, except for the Falcone tribe, they are mostly huge (our men are typically about two peds, or 6 ft. 6in tall) fair haired and fair skinned.   (Think Northern European/Skandinavian types for an RL example.)  Now these people having orc blood as well, they'll be shorter,  darker skinned with a hint of grey/green in it (look at our orc pictures) and darker haired, but still, not hairy Neanderthal types.  No "pelts".  lol

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2008, 21:50:29 »

Whew!

Ok, half way done with the initial draft and am looking for comments if anyone wishes to provide.

Keep in mind that my main goal with the Kaaer'dár'shín was a more primitive and barbaric culture in the vein of the North American Indian. Hunter/gatherer types with a mix of orcish and Kuglimz culture. They are isolated from other humans and their only neighbors are orcs and Imlith dwarves. They are a tribe bred for survival and war.

:D
« Last Edit: 20 May 2008, 23:07:57 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2008, 03:03:42 »

Sorry, but I can't get to this right away, just got back from a  long week-end family visit and have  a million things that need to get done (mostly loads of laundry!) but I will try to look at it in the next day or so.

If anyone else wants to comment, please do feel free to, you don't have to wait for me.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2008, 05:23:01 »

Now this is coming along fast and thoroughly, very good :D - Ok, a few first rough comments here:

- I see the explanation of the name has disappeared from the Overview again, this should be added, and an explanation for it.

- I've asked myself if we have orcish influences here if the Kaaer'dár'shín stand upright in general as other human tribes do. Or if they perhaps are somewhat bent as orcs mostly are?

- Are there regions where the orcish dominance is larger than the human one? It's always good to have certain centers of power and conflict :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2008, 06:43:05 »

Perhaps they would just have a tendency to hunched shoulders?  The orcish influence isn't necessarily that strong--not a 50:50 ratio.  It's quite mixed but most of these people are, say about 75% (or more) human?  Not that we'd be using that terminology in the entry, but that might be helpful as a guideline for how orc-like these people should look.  It's  mostly up to you, Azhira, how much orcish influence you want them to have.  My guess is that although there would be strong influences, it wouldn't necessarily be as obvious as in the "true" half orcs (with one human parent and one orcish parent) Think one full orc grandparent or a couple of  great-grandparents, maybe.

Just my two sans worth,

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2008, 08:43:50 »

It's coming along fast because that yellow membership title is quite motivating for me...not to mention all of the wonderful entries that get opened up to me once I become a full member! I usually work on the entry for an hour or two a day, so expect a finished draft very soon.

As for the tribe name, that has not been forgotten, only put on hold until I can get an appropriate translation.

As for orcish influences - the tribe is meant to have perhaps a 75% human to 25% or less orcish influence, as Alysse said. The major orcish influences were long ago when the tribe first migrated to the area along with the influences of the "Tower of Mordor" up north... evil

Essentially, the tribe is mostly human, but I am thinking of creating a sub-tribe or clan with more orcish influences so as to create a tribal conflict between the two. I am not sure yet.

Mostly, the tribe is more influences culturally by the orcs than anything else. My aim was to have a mix of Kuglimz and orcish traditions.

Physically, they would stand upright like a man. There would be physical orcish influences like skin color and facial features and body structure. However, there would be no pointed ears or pointed teeth. And less bloodthirsty and more stealthy and assassin-like.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2008, 08:48:50 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2008, 21:35:28 »

Ok, the first draft for the Kaeer’dár’shin tribe is complete!  :D :D :D

It is ready for comment and discussion.

There are a few details still to be done...

1. Specific names for various things like warrior, shaman and the festivals. I am looking for perhaps a mix of orcen and Tharian names. Or, maybe just orcen names that have been adopted.

2. The History section is from the original entry and will be revised a bit to add the orcish influence history.

3. I have not included any tribal divisions or sub-cultures. The tribe is simple and cannot afford to be divided amongst themselves as they have greater enemies on all sides to contend with.

4. A true meaning and/or translation of the word "Kaeer’dár’shin" has not come to me yet...

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2008, 22:58:41 »

I look forward to reading this much anticipated entry, Azhira. But alas, the Gasman cometh, and I must wait downstairs for him. I shall read it later, however, and will post comment thereafter. Although, if this is to your usual standard, I don't expect there to be much to add!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2008, 23:01:57 »

Just a quick question:

What horses do these people use?  Do they breed their own?  Catch wild horses? (probably Landesh and/or Tirpan)  "Liberate"them from various enemies?  You don't specify here.  I'd guess they's be something like the Native peoples of North America--once they saw horses being used by people (probably Kuglimz, maybe even Imlith elves?) they were quick to realize the advantages and helped themselves to the animals.  They're also close enough to the Heaths of Wilderon to mount (pun intended!) an expedition to hunt down some ponies for fresh breeding stock.

Looking good!  I'll do a full check ASAP.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2008, 23:32:47 »

Horses! Of course!

I've decided to use the Landesh pony as the main steed for the Kaaer'dár'shín as these horses are smaller and strong. Perfect for the quick and stealthy Kaaer'dár'shín war party.

I've integrated the use of the pony in the people section for the war parties and the natural resources section.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2008, 00:21:46 »

Also...a bit about religion...

I view the Kaaer'dár'shín as being deeply superstitious and not worshipping a pantheon of gods. I see their religion as more animistic in nature - they believe spirits inhabit everything from rocks, to animals to trees..etc. They worship a so called "Great Spirit" much like the Osther-Oc do. Essentially, the Kaaer'dár'shín religion is a more peaceful form of the orcen religious practices. Does this fit well within the culture?

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2008, 01:12:20 »

As far as I'm concerned, I think having the Kaaer'dar'shin religious ideals pretty similar in some respects to the Orcs is a good idea. Being half-Orc and living in the same territories they would be very likely to share some things.

@ Alysse. Speaking of horses, I'm thinking of having a select few Orcs with riding ability, after all, they ride Wargs, and some of their conquests would have had horses. What d'ya think?
Also, I'm getting images of Joan riding into battle in a chariot built from the bones/skulls of slain foe's, pulled by three White Wargs. Possibly real, possibly myth. What say you?

Right, I'm off to read your entry now, Azhira. See you later.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]