Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Mysteries of Nepris Project  (Read 258686 times)
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #405 on: 19 May 2011, 18:07:41 »

Grinch:  Now, with one percent EXTRA POSTING!   

Oops, wait, I aura'ed him again.....

(evilishly grinchy grin)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #406 on: 19 May 2011, 18:37:12 »

Thanks Grinch! :) Maybe I give me an additional stamina point next time!

Concerning aura - thanks for reminding me,  Judy .. you can do another post, Grinch! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 19 May 2011, 20:50:26 »

So, based on what Grinch says, would I be correct in assuming mitigation of 35% means I should be trying to use some different equipment, to keep it at 33% and be more effective in other areas? Or is there some bonus of having a higher mitigation level?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Grinch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 19 May 2011, 21:40:12 »

It will just reduce the damage taken by physical attacks. There is no other benefit from it. So the higher the better. But at some point you may want to focus on other things too. I suggest to increase your maximum health. Try to spend some points on stamina the next time you level up. I always felt much more comfortable with an extra load of health points.

If you level up and spend your points you can immediately see the effect of it on your health bar or on your statistics in the lower left.

We are the good ones!
Oni the Beautiful

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 19 May 2011, 23:50:40 »

Hey everyone! Some quick battle-related tricks in general that might give an edge.

Playing with the dual-wield weapons untill you've found the spike shield and the later ones(whose aromor value will be considerably large than the that of others u've found earliers) is pretty convenient.

Also I believe trying to emphasize on armor and less on secondary weapon will prove to be smart once you reach the swamp area or the areas after u've passed the puzzle of passing through the ''eye that cast firballs' (because there the enemies have large hitpoints and they have a tendency to come in a bunch and makes huge damage per round) but before reaching that area (Khrumm Scimitar+ Erph sword) and (Runorian dagger+Erph sword) is a pretty useful combination. After progressing a bit u'll find one-handed weapons whose DPR is equal to the dual-wield weapon combinations u've previously used/are using and as I said u'll find some shields whose armor value are quite large.

And mind it, the game was biased in giving equal values to all kinds of weapons(i.e. one handed/dual-wield/two-handed). So make some analysis and u'll know which should you continue playing with and use your gained skillpoints according to it.

@Talia:late answer! I started played them since I was seven.  :)
Btw I sent u a PM writing some general battle-related tips(probably 7 points). Please send a PM to me copy-pasting those tips(that wasnt saved in my outbox). So then I'd be able to help Deklitch and others who seems to be having kinda tough time.

@Grinch: something technical I'd like to know. I thought Mitigation was calculated as:

Mitigation= 100* (DPR of an enemy - damage inflicted on player by that enemy per round) / (DPR of the enemy)

But as u wrote "33% mitigation means the enemy will inflict me the exact amount of damage that it is supposed to do" means that I was wrong.

So, is it that:

3*(Mitigation/100)*Damage inflicted on player per round= DPR of the enemy.

But still that seems inconsistent. Because if at the start of the game the player starts with 0% mitigation in that case the above equation wont hold as u can see.

or the player is given some small mitigation when the game starts??

Or I am actually wrong(i think so) in guessing the mitigation calculation? If so then I'd like to know the equation on which it was based!!

Oni.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #410 on: 20 May 2011, 03:11:59 »

Hmm, I thought I stay with dual wield, but if you say, that there are so many good things to come which will be more helpful in my battles, I might reconsider to change that. But, I haven't actual looked - don't you get experience points in your chosen skill, so when you reskill entirely, you need to start from scratch. Haven't looked into the matter though.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Grinch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 20 May 2011, 04:05:07 »

Well, this will get a bit technical I guess, so please only read if you are interested in it.

When your mitigation is calculated it is solely based on your armour class and the level of the attacker. It has nothing to do with the damage someone or something does. The mitigation percentage shown in the character overview is always against an even creature - a creature that is the same level as you. That means e.g. if you have 500 AC at level 6 you will have a mitigation percentage of 35% against a level 6, only 33% against a level 7, and 40% agains a level 4 attacker. Higher creatures are stronger and you need more armour class to achieve the same mitigation level against them.

The damage a creature does is always based on your predicted health points on that level (x). In addition there is a constant, one of the most important one actually, that defines in how many rounds a creature can kill a player in the best possible case, and vice versa (y). The balanced value for a monster is three attacks per round (z). To keep it really simple now you can say: Max. DPR = x/y and Max. Damage p. hit = x/y/z.

Now the important thing, you actually wanted to know, is that the max damage p. hit (x/y/z) is multiplied by 1.33 (33% = your predicted mitigation on any level) for monsters. The final damage range is then (max/2) to (max). The damage you receive is now damage/(1+mitigationperc/100). So whatever your mitigation percentage is, if it is lower than 33% you will receive more damage than intended and the monster will be very happy about that.

Stats on items like (stamina, health, strength, dex, etc..) are never calculated into your predicted values otherwise they would become meaningless. That way you can move away from the balance curve. To give you another hint - your predicted health includes two stamina points each level so 12 on level 6. If you are way above that you might turn into a fortress, who knows, but you will certainly feel it if your value is much lower than that.

*Walks away silently as everybody has fallen to sleep in the room*

We are the good ones!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #412 on: 20 May 2011, 04:16:28 »

Ah yes, exactly what I wanted to say as well!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #413 on: 20 May 2011, 05:09:06 »

Ah, yes, I will give stamina more attention!
Thanks, Grinch, was interesting to read. :)

Unfortunately Oni is through already, but maybe he runs another char through, just to test the fights ;)

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 20 May 2011, 05:47:24 »

*Notices Grinch is in danger of reaching his post limit*

*Admiring frustration aura*

*Realises he really should be doing German prep.*

*Decides to "Damn German prep. Cauldron!"*

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 20 May 2011, 05:50:56 »

Thank you for that Grinch ... now I can plan my strategy a bit more ... and probably restart from the beginning again ... through changing my skills focus, I've now hit 0 Stamina. :(

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 01 June 2011, 20:02:45 »

Oops .. I posted this originally in the wrong thread.  sorry

Dying sucks ... although you'd think I must enjoy it ... I do it so often. You know, the best thing about dying in my favourite MUD, Ancient Anguish, is their death scene ... Death comes and collects you, checks you out through one of his eyes, and is ready to toss you into a pit called eternity when a fellow called Lars comes along and rescues you from death ... as they do it ... Lars and Death sings the song "Always look on the bright side of Life" ... I think the whole thing is designed to cakn people down enough (death in ancient anguish comes at a cost ... loss of a level, experience, magic spells, weapon skills and so forth) and you get a black mark and a scar. then you reappear in a temple and have to pray to return to life. Some people take dying in that game far too seriously ... me ... I just compose a song about it ... and laugh uproariously at it ... however with a damage mitigation of 35% (or there abouts) and a fire slimer skin and skills in body ... it is pretty unfortunate to get hit in two blows for well over 100 hps and die as a result in Santhworld. At least it took my attention away from work today ... so that's a good thing,, I guess.

Hmm ... I'll have to try something different next time against that thing ... but for now ... it is almost time for my hour of writing today ... yeah ... I'm giving myself an hour a day to write ... not about santharia necessarily  ... just about something ... and see where my writing goes ... so far it has taken me to weird places ... and I have no intention of sharing it ... as it is also rather ... disturbing. :D

Edit: I refuse to let this game beat me. I'll continue to be annoyed by it (or at least by my attempts to complete it) ... but I'm determined to do so ... and through my own efforts as mucha as possible ... I mean, if I can solve the quests in Ancient Anguish, I should be able to solve the quests in here, I think. :D
« Last Edit: 01 June 2011, 20:19:03 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 05 June 2011, 22:50:02 »

How are things in Nepris, by the way? Is anyone through yet, apart from Oni and Talia?

Anyone close to through?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #418 on: 05 June 2011, 23:03:01 »

Lots of people are still in the section after Jeremy joins the player, where there are the most diffcult puzzles - so no others are close to finishing yet.

In the long run BTW we'll see to make the Help button more like an online help feature, so that you get to a page where you get help on various topics in multiple steps (you can then expand more concrete hints bit by bit). That way it will be easier to find help without needing to post somewhere on the Dev board, because most players are passers-by - so making that more accessible is one of our priorities for future updates.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #419 on: 06 June 2011, 01:42:05 »

The problem will be, that then everybody can come back to these hints and there is no real need to solve the puzzle for yourself. Your own fault, if you miss the fun, but on the other side, if not everybody gets through the game,  that might be a recommendation also.

Maybe I can help with those questions, so that they don't reveal too much..

HE has just too much to do in school in the moment, and I won't help her too much ;)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]