Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Eyelian Culture Thread  (Read 6678 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« on: 24 April 2008, 05:26:56 »

I recently added a new style of poetry for the Eyelians, called call in response. This is considered mainly an african tradition on earth, but I thought it felt right for the Eyelians in Caelereth. For an example, please check the Library forum.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2008, 21:35:21 by Nsikigan Rocksilk Yourth » Logged

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2008, 06:22:54 »

I would like to begin fleshing out Eyelian culture. It seems every day, a new naming convention, form of poetry, or some other miscellaneous detail about "my" people comes to me. So, I would like to propose a new culture section for the Eyelians.
Is this acceptable to ye Powers That Be?

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2008, 15:53:56 »

What you refer to as "culture" perhaps is mainly contained in the section we call "People" I think. So maybe addiitions could fit in there, but we can still decide lateron where to put the information best, depending on what you can come up with. At any rate: Yup, just go ahead!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2008, 10:09:30 »

Eyelian music is often defined by it's primitive, rythmatic style. Their instruments tend to be simple, easily crafted, and portable, though there are exceptions to the rule.

Drums
Eyelian drums, or Oma, range in size from monoliths taller then the Eyelian playing it to tiny "twin" drums that the smallest Tamers can bang.

Ha'hap: This massive drum stands just over a ped tall. Ha'haps are made from large rings of wood, with deer or boar skin stretched across. It is played with a sturdy mallet, about a forelength long.They resonate with deep, rumbling booms, and have been used for long-distance communication for centuries. Sadly, few Eyelians still live who remember this ancient percussive language. In this day and age, it is far more lily that an Eyelian would live in a more developed city, with all the comforts of courier services, and non-Eyelian neighbors who do not appreciate the thunderous sound of the Ha'hap.

Tesest: The tesest is one of the most widly exported Eyelian drum. It satnds about half the hieght of the player, and is roughly oval in shape. The top is composed of three areas: the setoae, or middle; the tox, or wooden edge, and the toxenot, or skin-covered edge. Each section releases a differant sound, roughly equivilent to a note. The inner portion is the deepest and most resonant, with the tox releasing a sharp, hollow, sound. The tesest most closely resembles a narrower version of the Thegrim Kaorpuvkor.

Heshtake: These drums are always found in pairs, and named "Twin" in the Eyelian tounge. Each drum is about two palm-widths big, and made of simple wood and tightly-drawn skin. These drums are primarly played by the Eyelia (wolf) tribe. Thier quick, rythmatic, playing style has made them popular with the graceful Yourth tribe as well.

Flutes
Ma'hekona: These pipes are composed of seven to twelve short wooden reeds laying horizontally. The pipe at the left end is the largest, and the right-most pipe is the shortest, producing a higher note. These light, easy-to-play pipes are popular amongst travelers and children, but all Eyelians can enjoy their music.
He'hekona: This flute is popular amongst the more musically talented Eyelians. It is very similar to the flute, and many scholars believe that the recorder is actually a more modern version of the He'Hekona, adopted by the other Sarvonian races and tribes over the years. The marjor differance between the two instruments is that the flute is played perpendicularly to the face, the recorder is played straight out from the mouth. It is composed of one long, stout, hollow piece of wood, dotted with holes all down the top. The mouth piece is narrow, and a large hole sits at the bottom to release sound. The He'hekona is played by adjusting ones finger position in order to cover holes, thus changing the note produced. Music from this pipe is often haunting, though it can also be used to provide a hearty jig for happier times.

Vocals:
Eyelians have a rich Oral tradition, one that is heavily impacted by their singing. Many popular Eyelian myths are passed down in call-and-respond songs, where the singer speaks a line and the audience responds with a phrase. In it's simplest form, the call-and-respond song is useful as a children's game, as in the example presented below.

Prowling Wolves
or
Nehoma Eyelias
in the Eyelian tounge
When I call, you say Two weeks twice.

How long have the wolves prowled in Kuglim lands?
Two weeks, two weeks
How long will they stay?
Two weeks, two weeks
How long till they die?
Two weeks, two weeks
They shall come here nigh
Two weeks, two weeks

Now when I call, you say Right now twice.

When will the wolves hunt?
Right now, right now
When will they come here?
Right now, right now!
When will they eat?
Right now, right now
On whom shall they feast?
Shout the youngest Eyelian's name

This song is used by the Tamers to add a bit of interaction to the storytelling experience. It is considered a fun song, almost a comedy, as it is generally followed by a happy Eyelian mother tickling her child, and young Eyelian children shouting each others names. However, as is stated above, the call-and-respond song is just as often used to pass down an adventure or myth.

The Eyelians are also famed for their "Beast-tounge", or Menhov-Hekona, songs. These songs are always told in the secret beast-tounge of the Tamers, and are composed of chirps, grunts, howls, and other animal sounds. The sound expressed brings forth memories of beaches, forests, and mountains. This is a fascinating experiance for a non-Eyelian, as various animals are often drawn to the music. As the Eyelian "sings" in this ancient tounge, the tune grows into a visual chorus as well, with deer prancing at the edge of vision, stomcrows and sparrows flying overhead and perching nearby, and even the occasional wolf-pack howling in the distance.
This mode of singing is very popular amongst the many Tamers who have their own animal companions, as both man and beast can sing along, in a true moment of fellowship and togetherness.

« Last Edit: 27 April 2008, 23:49:56 by Nsikigan Rocksilk Yourth » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2008, 10:18:30 »

Eyelian naming conventions

Eyelians are named in a three-part naming system.
The first name is one chosen by the parents at birth. During the Rite of Naming, the father will enter the lodge of purification, and a name shall be revealed. This name is always chosen from the Eyelian tounge, and is almost always connected with nature. For instance, Nsikigan is Eyelian for "Fang of the Serpent". 
The second name is one given to the child by his friends and family. It is essentialy a legal nickname. For Eyelians who live in traditional Eyelian communities, the nickname is left in the traditional language, for roamers, it is translated to the tounge of whatever race is the majority. For instance, Nsikigan Rocksilk Yourth could also go by Nsikigan Ho'Tonanese Yourth.
The third name is simmiler to the surname prefered by many Sarvonian tribes, but has it's differances. It is not a name distinctive to one patriachal line, but one shared by all Eyelians who live in a specific area. The "surname" will either be Eyelia, for wolf tribe members, Yourth, for Eagle tribe members, or Quia, for those of the bear tribe.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2008, 10:20:44 »

After visiting the American Indian museum in Washington D.C., and learning about Anishnabe mythology, I discovered that the Anishnabe people celebrate 7 different animals as totems of different virtues. What would the powers-that-be think of expanding the 3-tribe Eyelian system into a 7-tribe one? The depth added by four more Eyelian tribes would be easy to integrate, but incredible.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2008, 15:05:59 »

Some thoughts off the top:  I'll throw them out as challenges because I know you'll deal competently with them.

Technology usually only fades when it is being replaced with a newer one - why would the percussive language no longer be used when the Eyelians have no other form of long-distance communication?   

I like the sound of the names: are you making those up from scratch, or do we have a fledgling Eyelian tongue being developed?  Even if it's only a simple list, like Mermish, keep track so that you have some consistency and no duplication.

Do we have a Santharian 'recorder' that you can compare your He'hekona to?  Always make sure you are thinking in THIS universe and don't assume the parallels... :P

While I'm not a power-that-is, you can have my two sans' worth of opinion:  I like the idea of more than three tribes, if only to avoid the inevitable inbreeding/dilution that would otherwise happen with only three (depending upon whether you marry within your own tribe or always have to marry out of it).  A few more would give us some distinctions and scope for developing a variety of  'native'-style cultures as different as Ojibway and Tlingit...

Dunno if it has to be seven in particular, though.  Ask Art if 'no new tribes' applies to subsets of existing ones and get his feedback.  If you plan to commit to that particular area of development, I'm sure that would help.  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2008, 15:41:18 »

Well, the Eyelian three tribes have been established pretty well by now, so they are already nicely embedded. So I'd say these should stay the main ones at any rate. There could be additional ones, which are minor or have very special meaning - I wouldn't just copy things from Red Indian culture, though, as there are a lot of references anyway and the Eyelians should develop their unique character. For example there could ba a Dragon Clan or something like that, something that links it to a more fantasy based environment which Caelereth represents.

If you want to dive in deeper into Eyeliian nomenclature this would be enourmously helpful, simpley because all main human tribes need to have their nomenclature developed in order to allow us to use them for famous personalities throughout history. This would require an in-depth look at it, though, see e.g. how we did it at the Erpheronians, he Avennorians, the Serphelorians etc.

There exist some basic rules in the Eyelian nomenclature context BTW, which I post here again for reference:

EYELIANS
 General: e'e, a'a, i'i, a'ei (between vowels), e'am, ll (l striken thru Ascii: 0142), o (Ascii: 0216)
 Wolf Clans - ending ... -el
 Bear Clans - ending ... -qu
 Eagle Clans - ending ... -ouf
 Start of words: B, E, G, M, T, W, Z
 Not allowed in words at all: D, X

Secondary Name Rules: ...

Males: -lgor, -thir, -e'en, - ai'er
 Examples:  Be'algor, Talgor, E'algor, Taranthir, Ga'eithir, Mea'olgor, Wai'enea'isthir, Zaerve'ai'er

Females: -al, -ala
 Examples: Ilee'ala

Already used names:
 Wat'a'kan or the "Great Spirits"
 Talgor Eye'el
 Quianta - capitol
 Yourth, Quia, Eyelia

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2008, 23:34:51 »

Thank you much for the comments, I've got some good ideas now.
And Art, about the "don't borrow too much from Red Indian culture", I've thought that myself and I'm starting to see the Eyelian culture as a mix of Native American, African, and of course, the unique Eyelian culture, mainly in the way they converse with animals.
Also, Judy, the Eyelian words are created from scratch based on a shortened, simplified version of the Cheyenne dialect.
For instance (going from American English to Cheyenne to Santharian to Santharian translation), Earth=óma'=Oma=Drum.
Large=háahp =Ha'hap=Large Drum
etc.
Tox, the edge of the Tesest drum, came from the word for border, Heshtake from the word for twins.
So I suppose the Eyelians could easily get their own vocab list.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2008, 23:43:11 by Nsikigan Rocksilk Yourth » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2008, 00:20:30 »

Here's my new idea for tribes:

In the early days of the Eyelian kingdom, there were more tribes then the Yourth, Eyelia, and Quia tribes.
During the Time of Persecution, four Eyelian tribes were not only maltreated, but nearly annihalated. While survivors exist, thier bloodlines are diluted, and there are no specific lands for each of them, as the three major tribes have. The full list of tribes is (along with major characteristics):

Mahepno (Spiderturtle) Clan:
members of the Mahepno clan have the gift of stoicness and endurance. These people were the most aggressively targeted, as they refused to alter their beliefs or culture at all to please Sarvonians.
As a result, very few Mahepnos are left, and those that survive live in tiny all-Eyelian fishing villages.

Aseke (Wolverine) Clan:
These people are an aggressive, hardworking group of Eyelians that make excellent warriors. While they retain no settlements of their own, they have cosmopolotized to a far greater extent then any other Eyelian, often joining regiments of other races, or traveling mercenary companies.

Veho (Ox) Clan:
These people are at one with the natural world around them, to a greater extent then any other Eyelian clan. They live in natural structures, or artificial ones that do not disturb the environment, or appear to be a part of it. The Veho people were not targeted for persecution- they could not be found! As such, they retain their woodland and prairie homes, and rarely leave. They are an isolationist clan, and sadly, one that is nearing extinction.

Kotena (Taurin) Clan:
These people are gifted with the best farmers and merchants, and have created a small trading empire. Much like the Aseke people, they have become very cosmopolitan, melding with other cultures easily. Unfortunately, they have lost much of their heritage through this. They do however, share a notable cultural detail with the Kuglimiz. They are notorious trick-riders. However, while the Kuglimiz ride horses, the Kotena people ride bulls!

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2008, 03:24:29 »

Are those naming conventions for first names or surnames?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2008, 03:59:05 »

Well, names consist of two parts, so both parts would be interesting...

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2008, 07:46:16 »

Sorry, Art, I was reffering to the ones you'd posted.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2008, 02:46:49 »

I guess the males/females syallble list is for first names (see also the examples), the endings of the clans might refer to secondary names. If you do it properly, you can of course still change things around a bit, but the idea was to have those general things mainly established in order to have differences compared to other nomenclatures.

The examples use already existing names, so it was attempted to include them in the concept.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2008, 05:27:41 »

Concerning the additional sub-tribes: Basically this is ok with me, though there are some things that don't fit or need to be explained better.

For one the provided names don't really fit to the Eyelian nomenclature as sketched above. As tribes and sub-tribes should represent the core of Eyelian society, the principles of the nomenclature (double consonants and all that jazz) should apply here more than anywhere else. So this would need to be changed. And that's why it is also so important to nail down nomenclature, as at the moment name creation is done blindly to a great degree.

Where exactly do the Veho live at the moment? Obviously still in Nybelmar - can we decide on their location? This would need to be discussed with some Nybelmar people. Are they the only Eyelians in Nybelmar? Or who else of these tribes still resides there?

The Taurins now live in Sarvonia and still ride bulls? Which ones? Wisons? Are they doing shows? Do they use them for military purposes also for example?

Interesting would also be to try a rough sketch on Eyelian sub-tribe population around Santharia, so that we get an idea where they live and how many there are. At least an approximation on this would be good.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]