Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Eyelian Culture- 7th edition  (Read 14019 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2008, 09:00:01 »

OK, thanks for the input everyone!
I'll add the word Ay'els, and then hopefully have this up soon!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2008, 09:30:49 »

Aaaaand.... finished!

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2008, 16:23:14 »

Eh, no, I didn't look at the second part yet - after my shower and breakfast I will do!  :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2008, 23:38:54 »

Oh dear....
Well, I am confident in the utter perfection of the second part.
And I have a feeling that you are about to firmly wedge my foot in my mouth! ;)
Thank you, Talia!

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2008, 02:58:50 »

If not today, your submission will be on my list what to read while having breakfast ;) (instead of the newspaper!)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 June 2008, 07:18:37 »

Thank you very much, Talia. For your efforts, by the way, you are mentioned as a researcher at the end of the entry.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 20 June 2008, 19:51:09 »

Ok, a last look through. And don't be surprised, if I find something else every time I read it ;)

The Eyelian culture is widely regarded as one of the best-preserved cultures in Southern Sarvonia.
What does this actually mean, what is preserved, the state when they  might have come from Nybelmar? I would propose to say it a bit different:

"The Eyelian culture is widely regarded as the one which has  - though developing and adapting to the new situation - preserved its way of life they brought with them from unknown shores over the centuries. "

(We don't know , where from they came, it is just assumed!

However, do not take this to mean that the Eyelians are identical to the other Southern Sarvonian cultures
   Sorry, but that does sound strange - who would take the Eyelians as identical.. the other tribes are not identical either. Maybe:

"This foreign origin, being a different tribe among the resident Sarvonian tribes might be the reason for their distinct culture - they didn't mingle as easily with the other tribes for the culturel barriers where much bigger than those between the Sarvonian tribes

For instance, no other race possess the ability to speak to animals, and this sets the Eyelians apart.<---replaced this sentence   

- they are an entirely different tribe, ancient Nymblemareans among countless Sarvonians. Obviously however, that heritage   

has since blurred in some places, and remained rock-hard in others. T
he ways the Eyelians have integrated and blended with the rest of the Kingdom of Santharia are numerous. No longer do the majority of Eyelian cities communicate with the Ha’hep. They now use 
 the same as any Proudman or Averonnian, be that by courier or Wynd Rider.  From humble hunter beginnings, the Eyelians have developed into a sophisticated, cosmopolitan people , but    with a strong link to their roots and the natural world.

The Eyelians are noted for this amazing understanding of nature, exemplified by the "familiars" they share a bond with. (Please note: Familiars are simply animals that have been tamed by Eyelians, not the mysterious spirit guides, referenced in the Eyelian entry. Also note the Eyelian word for “familiar is “Ay’el”, and they shall be referred to as such for the rest of the entry.)

That is very similar to Aj'Nuvic, is that intended? Aj'Nuvic has a meaning (Aj= before, nuvic= races, what about Ay?

Families look upon their ay’els not as pets, but as members of the family (albeit with wings, fur or claws). Ay’els can generally look after themselves, and some (the larger predators) will leave the city limits to find food. Also the larger animals rarely stay with the Eyelians. In cities with high concentrations of Eyelians, any Tame can rent out a stable space for relatively cheap. These specially designed stables will often be strongly reinforced, so the beasts will not mingle or escape.
These ay’els are extremely important to the Tamers- evidenced by the observation that some Eyelians even possess a remarkable resemblance to their natural brethren. Hence, the alertness and tufty hair common to those with birds and the unnatural strength to the Tamers who have tamed a larger animal, like a bear. This could, of course, only be a mix of coincidence and exaggeration, but to the Eyelians, it is a commonly accepted "Old Wives's Tale".

Maybe those with tuffty hairs look out for birds and the stronger ones for bears? 

Eyelian hierarchy seems based on nature, with the Patriarch and the Matriarch commanding equal respect, much as their counter-parts in a wolf pack would.
  What does this sentence here?  Put it here***  "The hierarchy seems ...

Family Structures. Eyelian families are a composite of several different natural heirchies ?? what? 
- they share the Patriarch/Matriarch dynaimic with wolves, and resemble herd animals like horses, in the way that their society shows little discrimination, and much equality. *** The mother and father, for instance, are held as equals, a twist rarely seen in modern Sarvonia. For instance, the Shendar are matriarchal inclined!!!!! I told you!   
, while the Erephonians are a male-dominated society.
Another difference between Sarvonian and Eyelian society is that the Eyelians treasure   
 equality- there are no serfs and vassals, all men and women are equal. This is most likely an extension of family life. As in Eyelian communities, everyone in an Eyelian "nest" watches out for one another. Everyone, from the smallest cub (Eyelian vernacular for child) to the oldest owl (a common epitaph for the wise elders) finds   
 a safe place to lay their heads at home, surrounded by a multitude of loving guardians, from ay’els to uncles.

Eyelian families tend to be composed of the aforementioned parents, approximately two to four children, as well as any unmarried brothers of the father or mother, and the grandparents. Sisters tend to live with their original family.
  I don't get this... in which family should the sisters live, when the grandparents are living with the core family? With which child will the grandparents live, if there are four e.g. I think you need to create a bigger community here, where married siblings are living close together, forming a clan. However then you have to decide, will the woman leave her family and join the family of her husband or the husband join the clan of his new wife.  And you get problems with your "the parents are the core"

If you see each family as a unit, then not every family has necessarily grandparents with them nor might there be many brothers/sisters around. They can choose with whom to live! And when does this family structure end, when gets a couple too old, when will it give up its position as patriarch and matriarch to give it over to one of their children - when the first one marries? I don't think, I would like to give up my responsibility - and power

It is the role of these parents to support the very large Eyelian families. In older, traditional settlements, the parents are the hunters and gatherers, while in modern Eyelian homes, the parents are the primary workers, with live-in uncles and grandparents providing only a supplemental income, and that only rarely. Why only rarely?
However, everyone in an Eyelian family is expected to help in some way. And with a family as big as an Eyelian’s, tasks tend to get done!  Is it really so big? See above!

The uncles and aunts often bring in supplementary income, and are expected to help guard the homestead in traditional communities. This additional 
 income is often found in the form of sustenance farming, small-game hunting, or perhaps free-lance work in certain crafts. Amantry is also a popular choice. Not all of the work the relatives do is ment to bring in income- uncles often act as “Wa’ahdens”, or sentinels.  The task of sentinel is one extremely important to traditional Eyelian communities. These communities tend to be in isolated, rural, areas, without a battalion of soldiers within calling distance. Attacks can come from any direction. The coast brings pirates, the roads brigands, and the woods bring hungry wolves and giant rats.
Another important task done by the uncles and aunts which   
brings in no immediate income is   
 teaching the children. As the parents are often away at work, or busy rearing the children in other ways, the task of teaching the young specific crafts often falls to the aunts and uncles. This teaching is often done as the aunts and uncles work.   What if there are no unmarried sisters or brothers? This will be not soo common, or? and when, why?

Any Eyelian quickly becomes a “ju’ek’atra’ad”, an Eyelian epitaph for one who holds a basic smattering of many skills, yet has mastered none. These children will of course learn their parents craft, as will a child in any culture. But in an Eyelian family, there are many crafts to be learned. For instance, many young girls pick up Amantry from their aunts, and boys learn the tasks of a sentinel from their uncles. As far as actual chores go, however, the children tend to be given simpler jobs, like cleaning, and chasing birds from the fields.
While the elder’s also aid in the teaching of children, the do so on a much larger scale. The old act as “sharers of wisdom for the whole family”, imparting valuable advice, and solving conflicts between families, and within them. In an Eyelian community, the elders are highly valued, both as teachers and mediators.
    Keep in mind, traditional and cosmopolitan families are drastically different. Traditional families tend to be part of a much greater whole, with the “entire pack raising the cub” as it were, while modern families are more often separated from other Eyelians. However, in cities with large Eyelian populations, the families often band together in ethnic neighborhoods. These „Tomo’odons“, or „whole worlds“, are very close-knit, and often feature beautiful parks and landscaping. They also feature unique "stables", also called "Tomo'ay'els". These stables are homes for the neighborhood's larger ay’els. For instance, in an average Tomo'ay'el, one may find Gryphs, wolves, or even Tagers. In non-Eyelian cities, these areas are harshly guarded, mainly from the villagers' fears. The proximity to these dangerous creatures can indeed be a cause for fright. However, these Tomo'ay'els are becoming less common. The urbane Eyelian has adopted more socially acceptable ay’els for the purpose of gaining trust, but mostly for convince. These ay’els often include completely mundane animals, like dogs and cats.
Eyelian families tend to follow a similar schedule. Meals tend to be very important, group, affairs. Over a dinner of roasted Taenish and Kellian, the elders share stories, often in the language of the beasts.   I don't think, that you can share a true story in the language of the beasts, they can't do it either and have not the means. What might be possible is to give short commands..
While a large Eyelian family growling, clucking, snarling, and laughing may seem strange, it perhaps grows stranger as a wolf pads near, a pair of stormcrows settles in the rafters, and four tiny lizards scamper to their child masters. But this is an average Eyelian meal, and it happens three times a day.

Education and Gender-Related Occupations. Eyelian children are taught differently depending on where they live. In traditional communities, the teaching is lorded over by a select group of elders, imparting the wisdom of the natural world, coupled with the task of learning a trade. Eyelian children often pick their craft early in life (around age 12 or so), and devote their lives to it. Eyelings (Eyelian children, sometimes affectionately known as „cubs“ or „jsals“) who have a fondness for the earth learn which crops grow best in which season, and what plants are too finicky for the native soil. These cubs are often taken to the fields, and participate in the harvest as much as possible. They will spread seed, till the earth, and scare away the crows. The latter job is a favorite among young cubs, who often favor a roar or howl to frighten birds away. Eyelians who live near the coast can have very different jobs as farmers. These land-keepers will often harvest not grain and vegetable, but salt from the ocean itself. This is a popular choice for cubs in certain communities, as it grants the young ones a chance to sneak away and play in the ocean’s surf and waves.
Cubs who show a talent for leadership are encouraged to lead the “gangs” young Eyelians form. The word gang does not carry the negative connotation it does in many other cultures. In the Eyelian tounge, “tomo’ajsal” is the word for gang, and actually means something approximate to “world of the young”. The members of individual tomo’ajsals frequently engage each other in play combat, shows of strength and enurance, and frequent footraces.
Some Eyelings even strive to be counted among the beast-masters, and those who show a prodigious talent for the beast-tongue are taken in by the beast-masters of the tribe. The beast-masters will teach the young Eyelians the nuances of the beast tounge, for instance, how body language can change the meaning of individual grunts, and how certain chirps will have different meanings to different birds. Becoming a beast-master is a long journey, often requiring frequent forays into the forest, but the rewards can be great.
By the age of sixteen, an Eyelian is prepared for his line of work, and may even be thinking about finding himself a wife, and starting his own pack. However, Eyelians rarely have children until at least age 18. The two years in between are used for the parents of the future parents to teach the art of child-rearing to the new couple.
These traditions are similar in urban areas. However, there tend to be more opportunities for these children. Every year, it seems, less city-cubs want to leave town for the old ways, and more want to strike it rich as merchants.

Possessions. Quantity of material possessions is not of great importance to Eyelians, but every item an Eyelian owns holds special importance to him or her. These items tend to be things like jewelry, weapons, and trinkets. Jewelery is perhaps the most common possession. Many Eyelians own many rings, necklaces, and bracelets, each commerating different occasions. These items are commonly given as gifts on birthdays, and as tokens between young lovers. Weapons are also popular gifts, and are handed down patriarchly. One spear haft may be as many as four generations old, the spearhead replaced whenever needed. Often, the arrow used for a hunter's first kill is saved, and placed in a spot of honor in the Eyelian home. All other tools and valuables, like plows and lumbar axes are owned by the community. Generosity is a chief virtue for Eyelians, or as they say it „One wolf’s kill is the whole pack’s meal“.

Freedom. Freedom is an integral part of Eyelian society, especially to the Bear clan. While some cultures prefer rigidity and daily schedules, Eyelian's prefer to simply know when they must work, and spend the rest of the time in spontaneous leisure activities. The bear tribe, as the most creative of the three places great importance on this leisure time, and has used it to compose some of the greatest pieces of artwork seen in Southern Sarvonia. All Eyelians are free to pick their own trade, and the concept of a „family-owned business“ is a completely foreign one.
Eyelians enjoy a great deal of leisure time, as chores are widely split up. This time is often spent learning songs and drum tattoos (pre-composed beats or rhythms), or seeking an animal to call friend and ay’el.

Consequences/Advantages. Eyelian culture is well preserved, through their strong oral tradition, and ancient family ties. This is what has saved Eyelians from losing their beliefs and traditions as they have become increasingly cosmopolitan, to the point of assimilation in some areas.
The strong family ethic is one that allows every Eyelian to sleep soundly, as uncles and aunts stand guard, and a veritable army of animals lies in wait for predators. The gratitude owed to these animals is so great that the beast has been placed on a pedestal in Eyelian culture, creating a healthy respect for Caelereth and all its inhabitants.
The lack of many chores has allowed Eyelians to produce some of the greatest artists, philosophers, and musicians in all Sarvonia. It seems these factors are ones that could and should be emulated by other cultures, not only for the sake of saving tradition, but for the sake of the natural world.

The problem is - life was hard in medieval times and not much time there for leisure. Maybe you say, because the Eyelians do not strive for great possession, they have more time, however, if you are poor, that is not a choice either. Perhaps a reason would be the fertility of the soil, the easy way of finding food, the moderate climate, don't know.

Quite nice entry now, just solve you family-structure problem! 

A note on the researchers of the Eyelian people:
The Eyelians are blessed and cursed by their exotic nature- it has brought much attention (and scrutiny!) to these people. Some of the most famous researchers of the Eyelian Tamers are:
The noted author Capher, one of the most famous personality in Santharia. It is said, that he not only is   
a strong and sturdy man who has journeyed far and wide across Sarvonia to learn more about not only the Eyelians and 
 several other tribes as well,   but that he is the last of the shapeshifting dragons. 
;
Lady Tiaa, a schoalr most widely known for her ventures to Aerullian;
and Lady Talia, a strong Shendar woman known as one of the prime contributers to the Santharian Compendium.

It is nice, that you want to mention me :) , I fell honoured and encouraged and though I did help already Lady Tiaa, I don't know, if you should mention me.  But look for Tiaas Cd, I think she might even be from Aeruillin.  And it should be at the end of the Eyelian entry!

Spellcheck!

Nsiki, please take your time to go through this submission thorouhgly a last time, even when your place is tempting you more, it is really interesting now!

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 June 2008, 21:50:12 »

A spell-check has been run, comments have been integrated, the family structure simplified and explained.
Thank you very much all who helped, but especially you, Talia!
And there is no relationship between aj'nuvic and ay'el. The ay'el is derived from the Eyelian name for stable (world of the beast/animals/familiars), so it would simple mean an animal or familiar.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 21 June 2008, 22:36:10 »

Nsiki, I think the similarity is nevertheless an unhappy coincidence I do not really like.

Aj for the best friend of the Shendar
Ay for the best friend of the Eyelians, two tribes which have no origin in common. You use a lot of ' as well, which did originally the Shendar and not the Eyelians. (Whihc I used a lot before you developed your nomenclatur)

What about using Ey'el instead of Ay'el (from Eyelians) and write it together? Eyel
I really would appreciate some distinction between the two tribes and their animals.

To the researcher: I would propose following.

"The first researcher who wrote about the Eyelians for the great compendium was Capher, one of the most famous personality in Santharia. It is said, that he not only is   
a strong and sturdy man who has journeyed far and wide across Sarvonia to learn more about not only the Eyelians and
 several other tribes as well,   but that he is the last of the shapeshifting dragons.

Lady Tiaa, a scholar most widely known for her studies of her Native Aeruillin, expanded on Capher's constitutive researches, where the newest contributor to the compendium regarding the Eyelians, Nsiki...  Yourth,  was due to his own Eyelian heritage able to bring  more light into subjects like music, society and the origin of names.

Talia Strumwind  - among others - assisted Lady Tiaa as Nsiki.. in their research.  "

I don't have the time to read it again right now, I hope Art will find any inconsistencies when looking it through during update.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 June 2008, 22:42:44 »

Awww. Are you sure I can write my name in? Thanks, Tal.
And as a general rule in Eyelian nomenclature, vowels are always separated by apostrophes....
let me see what I can do for you.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 June 2008, 22:51:53 »

Ay'el changed to Bo'en.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 June 2008, 08:53:36 »

So Art, is this ready for that little green check?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 22 June 2008, 16:26:03 »

Yes, I'm working on it right now.  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 22 June 2008, 17:03:38 »

Thank you Nsiki for changing the name of the familiar :)  Bo is a nice nickname as well!

Nsiki, you family system still does not work properly.

Art, maybe you should add, that the grandparents join the family of the (male) child which marries first..

And at some point "unmarried" needs to be added to the uncles. However, even married uncles could help teaching a craft to the child.

Nsiki, what about the other siblings, who marry. Which family do they join?
« Last Edit: 22 June 2008, 17:10:20 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 June 2008, 22:25:57 »

Right.... hold on...
How about "Please note that this family dynamic is not set in stone. For instance, the elders live with the male child who has married first. This means that his brothers will not have an elder living in their family. Also, due to the fact that the daughter's family does not move with her, there are families where the financial responsibility sits on the the unmarried brothers, and very rarely, the unmarried sisters. However, there is tremendous pressure in Eyelian society to marry young, so the only discrepensy commonly seen is the lack of an in-house elder. However, this is not a tremendous disadvantage, as closely related families will often live in close proximity, forming an almost clan-like bond."
Alright.... I'll add that to the entry, I'm really sorry to the both of you, I didn't realize what Talia meant until she clarified it for me....
stupid apprentice...
need any tents washed? Ajs feed? Art, want me to fetch some Artwine, perhaps?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]