Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Tribal/clan/race tattoos  (Read 7320 times)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2008, 04:35:28 »

Well I've been thinking about trying an entry in Aeruillin, which might turn out to be some kind of plant which can be used to make a dye for tattooing... I've found myself quite interested in the Sand Sisters since I created one over on the RPG board ;) Could you perhaps PM me with some information on how you think they would tattoo their members? I don't remember there being a reference to the actual process in the entry :)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2008, 04:40:31 »

Judy, please don't divide us into camps... that's not necessary.

What I read out of Tharoc's first post is not an overview, BUT as he put it himself, "what I hope will become the definitive work on tattooing in Santharia".
 That is something else.

Tharoc, what I meant with starting small is - do an overview as Judy suggested, but do it for Santharia (or maybe Sarvonia if there is not enough stuff to write about)   first and do not aim for Caelereth now. The Sor'inyt don't have to bother you now or what they used as a dye. If you are doing Aeruillin (don't know, if that is worth the effort at all though), then just collect what you find. Just say, we don't know with what they did their tattoos. Start small and add later!

I would postpone the creation of tattoos for the Ashz-oc as well until you get the permission to deal with this tribe.
Concentrate on an overview for Santharia/Sarvonia. The sooner you have this submission up the sooner you can start with something else.

@ Irid: Irid, the East of Aeruillin is closed for development, for there are just two (?) tribes and not much more which is developed at all. Only the west is open for development in a small area, mainly things which add to the already existing entries. So your plant would be welcome if it fits in the west, but I think we should not touch an existing tribe without need and add just a little bit to it. We should not spread out activities too far.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 04:44:58 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2008, 13:11:46 »

@ Talia:  I shouldn't have used the word 'camp' in my initial post, then, but there have always been two clear POVs about the Overview issue, which I tried to describe briefly - in passing - when giving my opinion about the tattoos.  I'd like to keep that open and dialogue about it with anyone who is interested, not just shut off new ideas from new members by saying 'no' instead of  'we haven't made a decision yet'... fair enough?

@ Tharoc:  Give Mrs WR a kiss from me for her perceptivity!  Hairstyles should be a part of tribal/clan descriptions, under Appearance - such as the Avennorian dyers' dreadlocks or the Ximaxian dwarven lasses' elaborate tress-sculptures, or the Erph ponytails.  Not everyone has included them, but it's an option we should be developing for more fantasy touches.   

I think the basic body mods you have listed already are sufficient, if you don't mind expanding your concept...  nothing drastic like implanted horns though!   Check out Kelancy's medicine entries for the appropriate technology.  Others are working on dyes and pigments, so this could be a lot of fun to get group input on.

Regards from the don't-even-have-pierced-ears bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2008, 00:05:28 »

Oh dear! It's sooo not like me to put the cat among the pigeons....Ahem.*crosses fingers firmly behind back, the trace of a smirk playing across his lips*

@ Talia. I fully agree with you, Talia. The scope of this is a lot bigger than it first appeared, BUT, with the amount of interest it has generated already, I feel it is well worth doing, and it is something people will use. I have many offers of help coming in, and I fully intend to seek Mod assistance every step of the way. I will be developing the entry on-site, so everyone can have a look-see at any time and suggest/correct/stop me if they think it necessary. As I think I've said somewhere in this thread, I'm starting in Santh/Sarv and working outwards, clan/tribe/race at a time. If I happen to come across anything related thats outside my current area of research, I'll put it up, but only as a reminder to me for later on.

@ Judith. Mrs W has had a smug grin on her face all day, one of those "see, I told you so" looks.  She says she'll help me with the hair thing though. It's not really my thing, if you know what I mean. I really seem to have stirred things up with this new subject, don't I? I suppose all I can do is make a start and hope people see the possibilities in it. Suck it and see, as they say!
As for expanding the concept, I don't think it will change it too much anyway. Not everyone will want their tribe walking round covered in tattoo's with half a scrap-yard hanging from their faces, will they?
I would appreciate your input with this project, (and Talia's as well, if you're still reading) it will be good to have two opinions to work on.

My initial concept of the entry (very much a work in progress) is instead of having Overview, History, Uses etc, to have an overview of tattooing/scarifying/piercing (maybe separate), followed by a history. Then, instead of people having to jump backwards and forwards between the sections to trace every step of, say, the Tethinrhim tattoo process, I could have an Elven section, with each tribe listed separately, then Dwarven, Human and so on. Do you think that could work? Any better ideas more than welcome.
If I did it this way, it would also make it easier for me to add new clans etc as they appear, just pop them in the relevant section.

Once again, thank you both for your thoughts, it all goes to make a better project. And sorry for "stirring things up", I didn't mean to. Honest!

From the ever-so tattooed-and pierced Tharoc

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2008, 06:14:13 »

Just read your other first post and I see, you did put alot of thought in it. As long as you keep in mind to do small steps and get an actual entry ready for upload then it is fine :)

I see one problem in the moment though. You want to have

Overview (general)

Overview tattoo (..) - how to do it, what exists etc., different types..

History - general

Race/Tribe specific things

How do you intend to write a general history without diving into tribes' history? The history of each tribe is different , won't you describe the same thing twice?

That you define first about what you write is a good idea I think, you can even mention here already tribes and use them as an example, without going into detail yet. But history???

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2008, 21:16:25 »

Just like a general overview of tattoing, not tattoing in individual societies, mabye.
Eg.
1st tattooers, significant advances in the field, famous tatto artisits mabye, etc., etc.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2008, 23:43:45 »

That's exactly how I was planning on doing it!

@ Talia.  Thanks for taking the time to try and understand what I'm trying to do. Maybe it was my fault for not explaining it properly in the first place. Anyway, whatever. It's good to know you will be there to "rein me in" if I start to get ahead of myself (something I have been known to do on occasion.) I'm positive that with the Mod's help, this is going to be a very useful addition for everyone.

Tharoc                     Big Grin

Use the force, Luke.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2008, 00:14:07 »

I still don't get it how you plan to do it, couldn't you reveal some more details?

And thanks for asking for my help, but there are many others who are capable as well , I don't know how much time I will have in the future. ;)

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2008, 00:46:28 »

I think this is a great idea!

The Kuglimz people don't have tattoos but they do have unusual hairstyles.  In case you aren't familiar with them, the men will melt down metal from their defeated foes' armour or weapons and use some of it to make a small ring, which they will braid into their hair.  Thus the mark of a brave and valiant warrior is that he has many rings in his hair.

Not, perhaps, something for your entry, but interesting nonetheless.

When I first read about your idea, I thought exactly the same as Nsiki--an general overview, not a specific one.  Although you may be able to get some artists to do sample pictures of tattooed people (or even just the tattoo types) for the sake of interest. 

I'll watch for this entry with interest!

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2008, 01:19:56 »

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, Alysse! I'll be knocking on your door for a more in depth explanation soon, or you can go to the Misc. forum and add it onto my main thread there.

As for the pics, if any artistic types are reading this, let me know if you would be interested in doing some close-ups of the body-mods. I can upload tattoo images I've designed myself as well. If anyone wants me to design a tattoo for their tribe/clan, just let me know.

Use the force, Luke.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2008, 01:21:55 »

Oooh, poor Tharoc, you are going to regret the day you offered that..... *makes note; Have Tharoc design Faen full-body tattoos*

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2008, 01:24:51 »

Bring it on, big-boy.

Use the force, Luke.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2008, 01:38:15 »

Easy, easy there.. i've got to finish the Kazai Morchin-i first, and Decipher has to finish the Marmarans, before we can get to the Faen..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2008, 02:03:38 »

Show us a couple of your designs, Tharoc, as long as they aren't specifically RL referents( like, oh, I don't know...something based on, say, Guns N' Roses or Alice Cooper lol) we might find a place for them.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2008, 02:10:38 »

I'll have to find some that are appropriate, or draw some up, but yeah, no problem. Give me a few days, though.

And I must say, that makes a change from people saying "Get yer tats out" or "Show us yer tats", I've even had "Get yer tats out fer the girls" before now! Of course, being a gentleman, one has to oblige these people. It's when I start to show my piercings they start to regret asking.....

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]