Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The Kyranian Men (Masterwork)  (Read 16348 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2008, 11:31:17 »

Note on the one-two-three syllable question - perhaps eliminate middle syllables and simply combine them with beginning and endings. Not syllables, quite, but parts.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2008, 15:54:24 »

This would require to update all syllables with all possible combinations... And that's quite a lot. It isn't really necessary if we can make the definition on how it should work pretty clear. Garret also has made these vowel middle-syllables part of the Nomenclature description, so we could as well do it as she suggested without having to change a lot.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2008, 16:13:16 »

Alright, just to clear this up real quick before I crash. The middle syllable is optional and names can work with or without. Since the main thing there is the fact that they go by a variation of their real name (ex. Garawn - 'Gar'). Parents might use a middle syllable to come up with an approprite 'middle name'/nickname or leave it out to do the same. This will go somewhere in that section when I get time to put it in later.

If that doesn't make since I'll work on it tomorrow. 12:33am and I'm outta it so surprized I can put two words together.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2008, 16:35:56 by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 August 2008, 06:05:50 »

As of now, today is my offical 'clean up room, closet, dog toys, desk, and rearrange stuff (if I can mannage it)' day as I am rarely motivated to do something like this, but as I am it seems like the perfect time. I'll tackle these edits later today or tomorrow some time. Just a heads up.

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 August 2008, 16:08:00 »

Alright, finally got the edits done. Things have shifted again in the posts with more information (and of course some re-coding had to be done. I'll never code an entry after this again, geessh grin). Anyways, newest stuff is still in Sea Green, same as all first round edits. Thanks for taking the time.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 11 August 2008, 02:03:40 »

Don't forget to decide on that four syllables I mentioned above, Garret - once this allocation is clear, I can get to creating names with the generator.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 August 2008, 02:07:07 »

I got that done and think pretty sure I fixed it. Just didn't color it. ... Yup the edits to that is in there. grin

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 11 August 2008, 02:16:37 »

Ok, I see now we have the following:

an (male), ane (female)
att (male), atte (female)
er (male), ere (female)
tter (male), tte (female)

One's still missing: natt (I wrote matt in the post above, which I don't find anymore).

Should we change that to
natt (male), natte (female)?

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 August 2008, 02:22:26 »

Thats done now ... Yeah, I'd seen 'matt' and wondered why I put that in both male and female, and saw natt and thought it might be a mistake. Didn't notice 'natt' both male and female as well tho.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 11 August 2008, 03:31:18 »

Ok, I've constructed a bunch of Kyranian names, all based on the 3-syllable system at the moment - check them out here. - Hope you like :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 11 August 2008, 10:20:33 »

I love them - very realistically constructed, yet euphonious - falling well upon the ear.  There also seems to be a clear sense of male and female, which I like to see in fantasy names.... and even a connotation of character, even more difficult to achieve.  Bravo!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 August 2008, 02:32:46 »

Looks Great Artimidor, thanks :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 12 August 2008, 04:39:08 »

Ok, continuing with...

Holidays, Festivals, and Observances.
(As usual the comment that is valid for the whole entry: Make it part of the current culture! Either integrate it in today's Kyranian life fully or mention adjustments of today in these rites.)
Throughout the year there were many reasons for the Kyranians to celebrate, but the following were holidays that were widely celebrated throughout the Kyranian Kingdom:     

- Eywing
The most important Kyranian festival is the Eywing, a festival dedicated to Arvins, God of the Hunt. For four weeks before the first day of spring the King's men would gather and make a sacrifice before they went out to hunt. On the first day of spring they would have a large feast in the castle common and all the common folk would be allowed into the courtyard to join in the feasting. After the feast they would abstain from eating meat for a week in honour of the hunted since they had been the hunters all their lives.

- Manhood Ceremony
When a Kyranian male reached the age of fourteen he would be taken to get the Coat of Arms tattooed at the nape of his neck. With the last dot of ink embedded into the youth skin, he would no longer be seen as a boy, but rather a man of the Kyranians. Many youths reached manhood throughout the year and each had their own celebration on the day they got their tattoo, but there was also a celebration that took place throughout the kingdom for those new men. On the last day of the year the whole kingdom would celebrate and welcome the new men. On that day there would be many tournaments for them to enter and prove themselves.

The festivities changed for each class of people. Within the castle's walls there was commonly a tournament with all the 'dignified' competitions that nobles learned to compete in, such as: the joust, the sword competition, the archery competition, the Sengren competition (Kyranian only), and other such events. Within the city, among the merchants, peasants, and craftsmen, similar events were held, along with the street competitions (wrestling matches, fist fights, and the other feats that drunken, and sometimes sober, young men came up with), and common barroom contests like arm wrestling, dart games, drinking competitions, and the ever so popular belching competition.

The various branches of military enjoyed their own events that were similar within their barracks/training yards. Armed and unarmed duels would be held with bests placed on certain fighters (the only time bets were allowed among these men). A mix of street competitions and barroom games were also commonly seen, along with the game, Disks, which was common among the off-duty soldiers and guards. Disks was a game made up of two squares on the ground, often a ped and a half to two peds away from each other,  marked by lengths of wood around it. A metal cup, often half a handspan deep was set into the middle of the squares with a heavy nail in the center of the cup, while sand was poured around the cup in the square. Soldiers/Guards would take turns tossing metal disks (only slightly smaller than the opening in the cup) from one square at the square, trying to get them in the metal cup for points.

Those outside the city walls had celebrations of their own that included the common wrestling match and arm wrestling competitions, but sports of a different kind were played out on the Steppe. The riding of wild Kyrattin males and wild horses was the most common of these games, testing the riders and seeing who could stay on the longest. Breaking wild horses was another of these competitions for the new young men and seasoned cattle farmers and horse breeders to compete in. There were also competitions for younger children so they didn't get bored, such as: chicken, sheep, or calf chasing and pony or calf riding. These games and competitions were also commonly found during the Turning Season celebrations and other such events.

Some things in the last paragraph fit much better to the Kyranian people as you tried to elaborate them before (hunters, farmers, horse breeding etc.) Try to stress these aspects more and the tribe will be much clearer defined. Make them more pious e.g., more a simple folk.

Suggestion: Instead of "Huinters" (which is perhaps too specific) as the secondary name for the tribe - how about something like "Simple-Folk"? Or something in that direction. Such a name has a lot of general connotations that might represent their way of life pretty well. Could be used derogatorily by some, or as some sort of honouric name by others. Know what I mean?

- Turning Season
The turning of the season was a cause for celebration for the Kyranians. They were very close to the outdoors and spent a lot of time under the sun and stars. On the first day of summer, fall, and winter these people would celebrate with huge feasts and contests. These holidays would begin three days before the turning of the season and continue for three days into the new season. The level of marriages during these celebrations is exceptionally high and people often believed that it was good fortune to marry during the turn of the season.

I continue above with some smaller sections:

Religion/Belief.
The Kyranians are strong worshipers of the Lord of the Hunt, Arvins. In all depictions of Arvins, he was shown as they typical hunter, clad in the fur of the animals he has hunted with a bow across his back. Sometimes he was shown with a deep hood that hid his face while other times he was shown with elven ears, golden brown hair, and with antlers. The image depends on the artist's views and thoughts of the Horned One's appearance. All who hunted among the people gave the traditional offering for the life of the beast they were prepared to end and on days of celebration they widely cherished Arvins.

Well, see, this section could have been quite a central one for this tribe. It was pretty much established that way in the current entry. It even shows in the coat of arms etc. However, yu don't really go into much detail here. There are a bunch of things you could do here in order to make Arvins a really central figure and elaborate the Kyranian's way of life much better!

Production/Trade.
Any natural resource listed below was traded with nearby kingdoms, brining in a good deal for coin for the north-eastern part of the Kingdom. Some of the finest cattle, the Kyrattin, were raised on the Steppe of Kruswik throughout the years of the Kyranian Kingdom and is still considered to be so to this day. Weapons were another thing that was commonly traded as many talented blacksmiths were active and during times of war they helped supply allies with weaponry.

Kyranians were hunters in every aspect of the word and they gathered some of their skill from the wilderness. For years they hunted the wolf-like beasts that appeared in their realm after a time. Eventually, some grew tired with the mindless killings from both sides and attempted to domesticate the beasts. Around 1,406 b.S. the first wolf-like beast (more commonly know as "wargs") was captured and trained by a hunter in the Kyranian military, Rastaar 'Rast' Lawett. The animal was just a two of a few weeks when it was caught and he was able to be tamed. These wargs were never traded but near the fall of the wargs a new breed came up. These Rusthounds (or Rasthounds?) are said to have warg ancestry.

These animals are great hunting hounds and were able to track prey up trees, unlike some breeds. They were originally used as hunting hound by just the Kyranians, but visiting nobility of other kingdoms took a liking to the beasts and a few brought them back to their home with them.

Throughout the years they have spread and become a very popular hunting dog. They brought in a good deal of money throughout the years as nobility bought these animals. Still to this day they are common hunting dogs in Southern Sarvonia, but they are still breed in great amounts in the ancient Kyranian territory. Those that had a warg parent during those days were faster, smarter, and better hunters, but they were part wild. After a few years it became required for the animals to the grandson or daughter of a warg before they were allowed to be sold.

Natural Resources.
The north-eastern part of the Kyranian Kingdom has a good variety of natural resources that bring a lot of profit to that area. (You can only talk about the current Santharian territory where Kyranians still live, Kyrania itself doesn't exist anymore.) Granite stone and marble were found in large quantities. Both can be found used in the buildings of some northern castles, and bits of each have been found in the ruins of Sheyaur. These types of stone were also used in building some of the castle in Caelum. Aside from being used in the buildings of some of the castles in the areas, they were shipped out on huge cart or ships to various buyers throughout the south. This brought in a good deal of coin for the north, but those are just a few of the resources in that area.

The remaining resources included gold, silver, copper, coal, and several other precious and semi-precious stones. There was a fair amount of mountainous terrain in the ancient territory of the Kyranians and the harvesting of the precious resources brought in a good deal of coin. This mixed with the successful cattle, sheep, and horse farms on the Steppe of Kruswik kept the kingdoms coffers and the pockets of the people full.

Here as well: Revision in regard of nowadays is necessary. Also: try to give them a bit of an attitude, a character. For example the orientation of this kingdom was less war-centered as the Erpheronians were, but more peace-loving. If they are more a simple folk, they could be hard workers (in the mines), and based on their simpleness have honesty and humility embedded deeply in their character, a sentiment of working together instead of against each other. From that you could derive a bunch of sayings, something that anchors these people in comparison to other tribes. What do you say?

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 August 2008, 05:27:13 »

I'll get to the edits later today. My one problems is the Religion Section. I can't do religion. It took me half a day to come up with that little paragraph and thats the only section I'd been dreadin thoughout the writing of the entry and considered leaving out. I'll try again later, but don't have very high hopes of coming up with much better at the moment.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 12 August 2008, 10:38:57 »

Hey, Garret - how are you on History?  If you help me with my history sections, I'd be very happy to write some religion ideas up for your Kyranians....  I've just finished re-re-re-reading Frazer's Golden Bough and am chock-full of concepts that you'd love!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]