Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fire Blossom ~ Vine/Flower ~ Scattersand Shoals  (Read 5302 times)
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 04 June 2008, 03:27:42 »

Well, you are free to abandon this project if you want, but i must warn you that the Fireblossom is not quite ready to be uploaded into the Compendium as it is right now!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 June 2008, 03:50:31 »

Hey Markov,

Phew... finally got some time to re-write what I lost this morning. Although, haha, thankfully most of it has been covered already.

I would have said hello in your welcome thread, but the queue for Doch Nuts was getting a bit rowdy. I'm a newbie too, in fact you have possibly been lurking longer than I've known this place. Glad you've popped out to join in, and with an entry so quickly.

Anyhoo, lets look at it.

Aah, the Scattersand Shoals. I actually quite fancied this area. Discovered it and actually went as far as to try to jot down a more detailed map showing the arrangement of the 13 larger islands based on the descriptions in th existing entry (I don't work so well if I can't picture such things).

Scattersand Shoals is the name of the place, so I think there's a couple of places where that needs capitalising to denote this. And there are still a couple of cases of 'pedal' and 'peddled' around. Easiest thing to do - use "Ctrl+F" (In IE on Windows for example) or Find and search for 'Ped' and that should find them.

~

Fire Blossom most commonly starts growing higher in the canopy of the jungle

~

The flower blooms in every season in a deep crimson

~

The Fire Blossom has not been found outside of the scattersand shoals, and is predominately found only in the thicker jungles on the larger islands. This plant flourishes in the tropical environment it is native too, feeding off of the healthy growth of other plants. In areas where Fire Blossom is thick, it stays mostly in the top layers of the canopy, forming nearly solid ceilings in the jungle.

This territory section is really your ticket to bury this vine deep in to the current Scattersand information. There's names for the biggest 13 islands already, along with brief, but useful descriptions that could really let you narrow down where this vine grows.

The largest island, Aiden - thick jungle. Nice place for it. But The second largest, and most northern, Triam. It seems to be mostly covered in cliffs and rocks, and only really has more typical forest towards the south end. I wouldn't expect to find this vine there.

I think you could really expand this section. The more these names get crosslinked, and referenced, the richer the information for this area gets, and each subsequent entry can get more detailed.

~

The locals of the scattersand shoals use the oil to mix with wax and create a coat for weapons and darts that causes wounds inflicted to burn and itch.

This is a nice addition from this morning. Great!

~

the seed and nut do not contain any poison substance.

This sentence is a bit weird. Perhaps something like.. "do not contain any of the irritant", "do not contain any of the poison", "are not poisonous" etc.

~

The ‘Frogg’s Wish Tavern’ in Queens Harbor produces a fine wine from these nuts that they call ‘Baveras’ Blessing’.

Very nice... just slip in 'Aiden' somewhere as the name of the island where Queens Harbour (British spelling) is, and this helps mark it easier for readers. Queens Habour is hard to place otherwise, it takes careful reading.

~

The environment and other plants around it are so fertile, that a fallen leaf or broken vine will start to grow on its own and continue its life, forming a new plant entirely

OK - if this was the RP side, I'd be getting twitches that this plant is sounding too powerful. It's growing so fast, it's latching on to trees so tight, any part of it can grow a new plant. How does it die, short of killing an entire tree or more?

After so long, the islands should either be completely covered in this stuff, or be devoid of jungle because the vine has killed off all the trees (that take so many years to grow) 4-5 at a time when it causes one to fall.

I think it needs some weakness. Something that is controlling it's population. Jungles/Rainforests are very carefully balanced ecosystems that simple do not allow a dominant species, wether plant or animal. Hence why there is so much diversity in them. Everything has a tiny niche. Especially of the canopy.

I think it needs to be 'very' tasty to pretty much all the local wildlife. Bugs, monkeys, rodents, deer-type creatures, all need to be eating through the vine, weakening its superstructure. But then of course, all the ends they leave after eating just make new plants, growing a fore by the next day. *shrug* I simply don't know how you can kill off this plant. It sounds worse than the Japanese Knotweed.

Perhaps it has a low tolerance to cold? Occassional, and rare frosts could descimate the entire population, leaving just a few seeds (protected in their shell) to regrow the population over the following years until the next frost (which of course wouldn't take long ;) ) A slightly cooler spring/autumn could be enough to kill a few plants perhaps.

Just my thoughts,

Happy Dreamin' :)

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Markov Danton

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2008, 03:58:38 »

Not abandoned, just taking a break from it. But I haven't been able to pull myself away as of yet.

Smee, wonderful ideas that I will be using. Thank you so much for the input. Yes, its a very dominant vine. I was thinking along the lines of something like the kudzu vine. But your right, it does need some significant devastating weakness. The cold front is a great idea. Ill get the rewrite done when I have a moment.

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2008, 04:10:07 »

Be sure to colour any changes!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Markov Danton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2008, 04:31:24 »

Posted....with changed colors  :P
Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 June 2008, 04:44:53 »

Much better... now it is simply in a race to get as big as possible and produce seeds in the summer, before the end of the season. It's well suited to this race, but not 'uber'. I like it.

Fire Blossom has a five peddled crimson red flower.

Lol - you do need to search for these typos... 'peddled'. There's one more hiding. I'm sure you'll find it.  :P

~

And I was expecting a little more than two extra words in the territory. I only mentioned one example of an island with jungle. There's 11 more I didn't mention, and I'm sure some of those are suitable too. Research  :)

~

It's been an intense day of changes. Don't expect it to be perfect in one day. I suggest you do as you said, and take a break, sleep on it atleast, and come back to it. 

Don't be in a hurry to finish, but be proud of the fascinating end product you're aiming for. If you're going to be doing other entries in the Shoals, then proper research into territory now is only going to help you later on.

Happy Dreamin'  :)

Markov Danton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2008, 05:00:17 »

Ive developed quite a liking for the shoals and hope to develop it pretty well. I am not done or seeking one day perfection.  :) just adding to it as I go. This vine is not at all done, I know. I'm just working on it in the little spare time I have.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping out.
Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 June 2008, 05:04:20 »

Excellent. I'll be watching, and who knows, might be tempted in to the area too.  ;)

For now I'm sampling Manthria, on my hunt for a area to focus on.

Happy Dreamin'  :)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]