Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Nybelmarian Empires ~ Murmillions Included?  (Read 4991 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2008, 03:53:13 »

Fortunately, the answer is very simple :D

The map and the entry you link to are extremely old - in fact, both were created before I came here. Nybelmar has undergone extensive edits since then. For instance you will recognize that none of the western tribes/states are represented on that map. For an up-to-date map of Western Nybelmar, please refer to the sticky threads above.  We do not yet have a similar map for the East.

Therefore: Ignore the map and that Nybelmar overview; the more recently created individual entries should be followed. Eventually the overview for Nybelmar will have to be re-written.

If you wish to undertake that project by sifting through the entries we have on the site and revising the Nybelmar overview to reflect those developments, please do go ahead! :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2008, 05:22:57 »

Actually it should be stated in various, even old entries, that while the Murmillions had an empire, they have been conquered and assimilated to 66% by Santerrans (which is why the Santerrans worship Mari, a/the Murmillion goddess) while the free 33% live nearly exclusively in the sickle (the sealed off peninsula surrounded by mountains).

They certainly shouldn't be considered an empire, possibly not even a kingdom anymore but just a conglomeration of clans and sects living in a confined space isolated from most others. Aca-Santerra would consider them a nuisance to their northern border.

They could only become a thread if they found something in those mountains dating back to the War of the Chosen aka the great wizard of that time.

It's not so much that they were destroyed (well, that happened later) but that with the destruction of the Korweynite empire they overextended themselves enacting rule over a 10 times larger territory, then fractured, then assimilated into local societies at which point their traditional homelands were so weak that Aca-Santerra came along planting its flag on the mainland.

Well, that's the ancient history from an ancient Santharian anyway. I do not know what modifications you have done so far along the way...

Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2008, 08:18:22 »

Thanks for the clarification, Rakshiri! What you described is what I *thought* was the case, but I really needed that confirmed in order to preserve my own sanity! :)

So they're still an independent 'state' of sorts, but I believe they do have a king still, as per their entry. Yes, I definitely did not intend for them to be a threat of pushing outwards, just holding their borders at the entrance to Ehebion, aided mostly by the 'nearly impassable' mountains that ringed the southern border of the peninsula. I'll keep that in mind, thanks again!

~Maladies of the Mind are best soothed by those who suffer similar Afflictions~
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2008, 15:30:57 »

Hey there :D

So let's set things clear here for all of us :)

Murmillions are actually a really interesting piece of development. Koldar/Rakshiri came up with the idea (ask him if he got it from somewhere else :P) then at some point I joined the project and started to flesh them out. Then we both started  to work a little bit of their history in connection with the Korweynites and Santerrans, that is until RL issues have set us apart. I moved my interest more towards Anpagan and Venlaken after that, so when I saw someone wanting to continue the Murmillion project I was nevertheless excited. I still am ;)

The basic idea about Murmillions is this:

(forgive me my so mundane way of putting things in the followings)
- big bad wizard (Menemronn - check entry) stomps over Nybelmar.
- some people think he's not that bad after all => Murmillions
- they eventually form a kingdom in the aftermath of Menemronn's demise
- they grow in opposition with the other power that emerged in the aftermath of Menemronn's demise, the Korweynites.
- big bad (and pointless) religious war happens between the Murmillion kingdom and the Korweynites' empire. Lasts a lot too (hence it being named the "Second Shadow War").
- war ends with Murmillions kicking the Korweynites behinds. However, by doing that, Murmillions actually overextend themselves, and all sorts of cohesion and keeping-tradition problems appear. (we did those things in a couple of entries, I guess Theodunn, and the one about the Battle of Kormendale, also the unfinished Tiara entry - you'll have to search through the People forum for Tiara or just ask Rakshiri for a text)
- Santerrans take advantage of that to kick Murmillions' behinds and establish a strong foothold on the continent.
- after the Santerran intrusions (and eventually war - check the Asthalon the Black entry) the Murmillions will be split in two sides: the ones living west of the sickle, more or less under Santerran rule, and the ones in the sickle - more or less considered to be a myth, or not there, or there but really not enjoying visitors, and so on. That's why you'd see all these conflicting accounts about Murmillions - depends on which point of view you would tell the story. About the actual situation of Murmillions living west of the sickle (the, say, Santerran ones) things still remain somehow under discussion as we still need to flesh out the history after the Year of Darkness.

Did that make sense? :P

Anyway, I saw you were really attracted by this part of development so I'd still say to go ahead and try to develop. The biggest challenge would be to keep it cohesive, as you would be the third person working on Murmillions :)

I also have those "letters" as an unfinished story, where I was trying to flesh out how a Murmillion might relate to the world. The story didn't go well, as originally I had the idea of an action-adventure type of plot, yet it turned out to be just a love story...

e-mail me when you have questions (I'll have to update my profile, I'm not using yahoo anymore, but gmail -> cpralea@gmail.com)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2008, 17:26:52 »

Hey, I liked the story! Still waiting for the promised next installment...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]