Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pan Flute  (Read 3473 times)
Santhos Avathcin

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 18 July 2008, 03:34:50 »

My idea is a Pan Flute, not necessarily with that name but, the Pan Flute consists of about 8 hollow reeds cut to different sizes and tied together so that one side the reeds line up. It's played like a harmonica where you slide it along your lips blowing into each reed to produce a clear whistle like note higher notes for the smaller reeds and lower notes for the bigger ones.

It was invented by the romans or by some peoples of that time period and called a Pan flute for the God Pan.
What that God did I don't know just yet but I would like to have something like this in Santharia.

The Dullest Pencil Remebers Longer Then the Sharpest Mind.
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2008, 03:40:41 »

Under Eyelian music:
Ma'hekona
These pipes are composed of seven to twelve short wooden reeds lying horizontally. The pipe at the left end is the largest, producing the deepest, lowest notes, and the right-most pipe is the shortest, producing a higher note. These light, easy-to-play pipes are popular amongst travelers and children, but all Eyelians can enjoy their music.
So you can develop it better.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Santhos Avathcin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2008, 03:49:31 »

So something similar exists under a different name got it. What should I do then? Scatch the whole idea, or keep working on this one?
« Last Edit: 18 July 2008, 03:57:40 by Santhos Avathcin » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2008, 03:56:02 »

I'm saying the outline already exists, but it has not been fully developed, check out the Eyelian Music entry, where that quote came from.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Santhos Avathcin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2008, 04:04:08 »

So something similar exists under a different name got it. What should I do then? Scatch the whole idea, or keep working on this one?

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2008, 04:05:44 »

Why not write an entire entry for the Ma'hekona? Or create a new version perhaps theelves use?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2008, 04:10:22 »

The Eyelians don't necessarily need to be the inventors of the pan flute. The Ma'hekona could be a variation of e.g. an elven flute, based on that one. So, as you can see, lots of possibilities to choose from, Santhos :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santhos Avathcin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2008, 04:14:52 »

Great but how should I start? With a name? With precisly what notes it plays? I don't know where to start at all. This is my first project as you can tell.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2008, 04:20:19 »

Heres the template used for the harp-
 DESCRIPTION -  CONSTRUCTION -  PLAYING - USAGE - HISTORY/ORIGIN
So, get a name, either the one I've given you, or an elven equivalent, and write things for all those categories.

Santhos Avathcin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2008, 05:11:35 »

Right so

Overview
The Pan Flute is a simple elven wind instrument consisting of 8 hollow reeds cut to different lengths to produce a change in sound or pitch. Its a common instrument used by travelers and commoners alike because of its size and simplicity.

Description
8 hollow wooden reeds tied together in a straight line going from largest to smallest with the one side of lining up evenly.

Production
While the Pan Flute can be purchased in most music shops, it can also be made by oneself quite easily. Simply hollow out a narrow reed and cut into 8 different lengths or obtain 8 thin metal tubes already cut to the right lengths. Connect the tubes with paste on each side and strap the tubes together to hold it in place with the largest tube on the left and the smallest on the right.

Playing
To play the Pan Flute simply put the even side to your mouth and blow into the desired reed to produce a clear whistlelike note. To cange note simply slide the Pan Flute to the side until you reach the reed you desire.

Usage
The Pan Flute can be played at occasions of all sorts, as it can produce slow melacholy tones and also joyous quick music, but it is not often used as it is a quiet instrument normally it will be used to pass the time or to play for just one other person to hear.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2008, 05:38:57 »

Alright...
Basic idea, but it'll have to be longer. Read some entries on the site, search the boards for the harp (it's under misc.) to see the length/detail we're looking for.

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2008, 08:14:17 »

Hey Santhos! ^_^

As Nsikigan and Arti have said there is already a similar idea involving multi-tubular flutes on site. If you want to continue with the idea then i suggest that you alter it slightly so that there is no very very similar entries and you can continue with your already great idea. Just a thought, but instead of a harmonica like reed within the tube, you could maybe use a double reed (similar to oboe and bassoon) connected to all 8 tubes, the different notes produced by alterations of the embouchure or finger holes perhaps? Just an idea... just Muck about with the idea youve got basically!! grin

Yeah, you also really need to beef it up a little, adding some wee interesting santharian rumour or tale here and there, and some much more detail would be good too. However, although there is little there i understood alot about the instrument, as your language use is superb!! well done!! heart (I loved the fact that a musician could easily make one himself!)

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Santhos Avathcin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2008, 10:39:32 »

Again I'm confused.
I'm not a big music person, but I thought that this would be a good idea, what's a double reed? I can picture an oboe and are you talking about the reed at the top? I appollogize if I'm rediculously ignorant but could you explain that please? It sounds good even if I don't know what it is.

Santhos Avathcin

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2008, 12:27:51 »

Bassically, instead of the single metal reed your describing which vibrates producing the sound once a stream of air is blown past it. this method would require no embouchure (lip and mouth shape) due to the fact that the reed is not in contact with the mouth. However, a double reed is like two of these reeds (except wooden not metal) tied together at one end to produce a flat panel, with an oval whole in the middle. When this double reed is placed in the mouth and the correct embouchure is applied it will produce a sound if blown into, this sound is then channeled down the bore (tube) and according to the distance it has to travel, a different tone is produced.

Double reed instruments normally produce a more harsh, brash tone than that of a single reed instrument, although the oboe and bassoon are reffered to as the heart and soul of the orchestra. Well in terran terms anyway, maybe the santharian materials will allow for the reed to produce a more flute like sound... A question for Judy! ^_^

Im not to wizened in the ways of the double reed *waves clarinet flag* so if any of this info is inaccurate have this too.....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_reed

Hope this made it clearer! grin

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]