Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Northern Sarvonia Entry Update (blarrowed)  (Read 8655 times)
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2010, 09:52:27 »

@ Alt and Dek

I have tweaked the following sentence without completely revising Drogo's words. I like the saying and instead turned it into more of a legend/rumor.

Also it must be noted that a persistent Northern legend states that as one travels further North, darkness becomes ever a closer companion, until when at the tip of Northern Sarvonia, one will never see the light of day.

I have added the Antislar and the Ice Tribes tweaks. I also edited the number of human tribes.

@ Drasil

You brought up the blurb about the Shadow Elves. As I read the bit, I don't see issues with the mythical connotation. I think it reads quite mysterious and vague. Do you have any ideas to make it more mythical sounding?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2010, 11:02:14 »

The Mh'rhm (Strash "Black Tribe"), or the "Shadow Elves", as they are also sometimes known, are one of the more mystifying elven tribes of Caelereth. Their realm is the noxious and odoriferous Water Marshes in  Northern Sarvonia where the Injr has hid her countenance from for many a millenia. The origins of the Mh'rhm are as nebulous as their dark-lit lands but it is said that the present Water Marshes reside upon the ruins of the legendary and fabled elven city of F'v'cl'r and the Shadow Elves are the descendents of those who had refused to abandon the city even after it was laid to dust by the Gods.

I copied the blurb here for quick reference.  I hope you don't mind.

From what I am reading here, you never once say they are mythical, but rather refer to their history and location in a rather matter-of-fact tone which gives the impression, at least to me, that the facts you are presenting are the cold hard truth.  I know you call them mystifying, but that doesn't really have the same meaning as mythical, at least not to me.  Mystifying, in my opinion, gives the impression that they inspire awe and wonder, not that they do not really exist.  Also, I see that you called Fa'av'cal'ar fabled, but that also seems to be more a questioning of the reality of the myths and histories of the past rather than a questioning of the presence of the Shadow Elves within the Water Marshes. 

Even something as subtle as slipping the word 'mythical' somewhere in there to modify Moh'rhim or Shadow Elves would solve the problem I think. 

I hope that makes sense?  If not, let me know and I'll try and explain myself better. 
Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2010, 22:28:54 »

Well to be honest...I don't necessarily want the shadow elves to be mythical.

Sometimes in a fantasy world, it is nice to have otherworldly things that aren't mythical. I would say the shadow elves are like watchers - they are said to be seen, are rumored and whispered about. But never any conclusive evidence is known. Something like if travelers wander by the Marshes and see elven shadows watching them from the trees and ruins. No one can really wander into the Marshes due to their poisonous nature to actually gather evidence. I would eventually like the entry to reflect that better.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2010, 22:30:32 »

I agree fully with Azhira.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 July 2010, 02:06:53 »

I agree fully with Azhira.

*High-fives Altario!*  :D :D

Sometimes in a fantasy world, it is nice to have otherworldly things that aren't mythical....

This is totally going to come back to bite me at some point isn't it...? :P

*ahem* *Skylings*

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 July 2010, 04:05:21 »

Oh, you KNOW it is. :P

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2010, 11:12:06 »

I feel like I should throw out that I completely agree with you and am strongly in favor of Ulvur and Shadow Elves not being mythical, but the fact of the matter is that at this point both are and need to be treated as such.
Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2010, 01:03:25 »

I feel like I should throw out that I completely agree with you and am strongly in favor of Ulvur and Shadow Elves not being mythical, but the fact of the matter is that at this point both are and need to be treated as such.

You dare defy the will of the Northern Mods?? Such impudence! Such arrogance!  ;)

The Ulver entry specifically mentions the Ulver as being a mythical race. The Shadow Elf entry makes no mention of them being mythical at all, just mysterious and rarely seen. How the consensus came about that these elves are mythical is the result of old discussions likely. That was then and this is now. I can put this up to a vote and hopefully get everyone's opinion.  thumbup

Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2010, 01:32:01 »

Unless there are no objections, I am blarrowing this update. I have added mythical to the shadow elves and also added a blurb about the troll race.

Drogo remains as the original and main author. His original work is largely unchanged. I added and tweaked the races and tribes sections.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2010, 01:33:48 by Azhira Styralias » Logged

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2010, 02:18:08 »

Good to go.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]