Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some Santharian music  (Read 2532 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 11 August 2008, 15:51:31 »

Got a mail from a guy named Michael, who'd like to share some music with us for the site. He says he's aa band director with some skill at composing, so he wrote these. They were performed by a select few students.

So in this post you find all five pieces he sent to me - only the first one is in MP3 format, though, the others are MIDI files. Maybe we can get MP3 versions of those eventually. So here there are:

Santharian Symphony (2.89 MB)
Northern Wind (55 KB)
Santharian Melody (26 KB)
Warrior's Lullaby (26 KB)
Myth (36 KB)

I hope he can register soon on the Forum as well.

The musics surely have potential in my point of view, though we'd ideally need MP3 versions for best results. Hopefully they can be provided, as some pieces surely would sound much better in MP3 form.

The title of "Santharian Symphony" is also a bit irritating, as it's more a music you'd hear, say, in a game battle scene, while a symphony is considerably different from that. Still it could be used somewhere, e.g. in Santhworld.

The other pieces are also interesting, yet also more on the gamey-side of a melody, so that's why it would be good to have MP3 versions, so that these pieces play independently from the capabilities of your sound card, which is the case at MIDI files. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2008, 17:32:10 »

They're great.  They remind me of Final Fantasy. :P The first doesn't really seem like a symphony to me either.  However, I believe symphony doesn't actually describe a style of music.  The classical symphony had different movements though.  Perhaps this would be more appropriate it is is to bear the title of symphony.  I think they'd work perfectly in Santhworld.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
M_Miranda

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2008, 04:28:43 »

Yes, the last ones are in midi form, my recording equipment was messed up so I had to save it as a midi.  But in a few days I can get mp3 versions of the songs as well.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2008, 04:40:34 »

MP3s would be good to have, cause as of lately we're practically using MP3s only.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2008, 14:00:34 »

*popping out from a large clay jar that was sitting in the corner*

Did somebody say MP3s?  I like converting midi files to mp3s so I had a crack at this.  only problem is that myth had a lot of percussion, and my program dosent like percussion (it can never figure out what drum is supposed to be what)  anyway- I had a crack at three of thses- hope you like 'em

and geeze, his highschool band is going to play this?  he must have some tallented young folks, because this is some difficult music!

http://media.putfile.com/myth-59
http://media.putfile.com/warriors_lullaby
http://media.putfile.com/santharian_melody

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2008, 04:38:22 »

Hello agaiin, Macar! Long time no see, eh? wave

Anyway, the transfers to MP3 make the pieces sound especially cool! I didn't know that you can convert a MIDI piece so fast into a decent MP3 file, but as you just proved - you made that very well! :D

There are some things that should be adjusted though I guess in final versions, so here's what I consider needs changing:

- In Santharian Melody we have that reappearing sound that seems to fade in and own, getting more intense and then withdrawing (the piece actually starts with it). This somehow is somewhat problematic as its intensity/sound somehow doesn't entirely fit. Know what I mean? Maybe you can adjust that? - This certain kind of sound can also be heard here and there at Warrior's Lullaby. Is this perhaps a transfer thing?

- In Myth the sound isn't very clear at some points during the piece. Maybe that can be fixed somehow?

Anyway, here are direct links to download the files in case you want to save them to your hard drive - you need to rename them though once you save them:

Download Myth
Download Warrior's Lullaby
Download Santharian Melody

So, how've you been in general, Macar? Haven't heard from further progress in your work on the deities themes... Also, on case you have MP3 versions of the MIDIs you once sent me, I'd love to hear them as well. Or any other stuff you might have lying around somewhere - I'm still searching for cavern themes and the like, more slow atmopsheric background pieces.

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2008, 05:45:15 »

well, I dont want to derail this thread, but I'm doing well.  I just got married :D

I've not made any significant pogress, or any, on the deity themes- but I do have a work in progress that I think fits our project- which I'll post soon in my own thread.  And, if you can give me the names of those midi's I sent you long ago- I probably already have mp3 versions on my putfile site.

As for the topic of this thread- I think what you are reffering to with the intense swelling sound is the bass- I can adjust the ballance- but I'm affraid of losing the sound entirely when it's more quiet- so I dont know if anything can be done.  In Myth, there are two problems- the first being my aforementioned percussion difficulties, but there's also the the problem of the fact that he used alto saxiphone in his orchestration- and my sample for that instrument is pretty lousy.  It could be changed to another instrument- but I cant comfortably do that without the consent of the composer.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2008, 03:09:55 »

Ah, you got married, eh? Now that's a good excuse... lol Anyway, congratulations - seems it's the right time of the year for that, as also Kalina and Curgan got married recently. Well, not to each other... ;)

Anyway, hope M_Miranda shows up again sooner or later and give some comments on the MP3 versions as well...

Concerning the pieces you sent me in MIDI form, I've got:
Blury-orch.mid
Dawn.mid
Earwax sonata_u.mid
Moon on the marsh.mid
Nedic Ruins.mid
Set out.mid
Untitled.mid

So in case you got any of those in MP3 form or anything else that is could fit as background music for an RPG/adventure game, I'd be happy to have a look :)

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2008, 14:36:12 »

some of these are old recordings and I could do better now!  But here's what's already up there:

http://media.putfile.com/set-out-55
http://media.putfile.com/dawn-80
http://media.putfile.com/Blurry-56
http://media.putfile.com/untitled-45-41 (I'm assuming this was the same untitled :) )

I still have the sheetmusic to the other three- so I might be able to dust them off.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2008, 03:10:10 »

Thanks for the links, Macar! :) I'll add them to the resources pool and see where we might be able to sue them... - The third one is a wma file, though, so if that would be available in MP3 form that would make things perfect.

I especially like the Dawn piece very much... It has some darker and mysterious tones in it, which I consider could be good if used in the Lorehold cellar where you will have to explore a bit walking around with a lamp and such. If we integrate a White Lady (a ghost) in the Lorehold as has been suggested, we could make it that way that you can reach a turret by passing through the cellar and then get up there, and the music would play all along that journey. Could turn out pretty cool. Now I'd only need an atmospheric, darker cellar pic and we'll have some very exciting stuff down thre!  evil

Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2008, 12:31:40 »

I reuploaded it as an mp3- I was attatch it here but it was too big.

http://media.putfile.com/dawn_mp3

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2008, 04:46:29 »

Thanks again, Macar - I've already added it here locally for the Lorehold cellar, and looks pretty cool! Now we'd only need something more to add down there, that bears some more secrets, small pieces that lead the way to our intended ghostly apparition... :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]