Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Would like to help....  (Read 3853 times)
Jude the Archivist

Gained Aura: 0

Part hobbit, part student.

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2008, 07:07:17 »

I would very much like to help, though as a lowly Art History/Religious studies student at Aberdeen university, I don't really have that much useful skills to give you except my own sweat, blood and tears in hard graft. I knew I should have chosen a more useful major. I will end my days as a homeless person holding a sign, that will read "Will write about art for food!". I can write, though am no Wordsworth and cannot draw well. I love researching things, I can spend days just doing research.

All I can say is that I am a geeky and slightly insomniac student who has been in love with the fantasy genre since childhood. Cut me and I bleed hobbit's blood....
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2008, 08:28:56 »

(giggles merrily)  Now, who could resist such a charmingly humble and intriguing introduction?

You sound like the perfect candidate to become completely obsessed by our magnificent world:  dedicated, immersed in fantasy, articulate, and a passionate researcher.  AND you stay up late...  Now, if you do windows, we'll put your application at the top of the teetering parchment pile....

(the Bard curtsies sweepingly, her ample frame somehow managing to make it back up gracefully, and flashes a grin at the newcomer)

Of course you are heartily welcome!  A few suggestions as you are a newcomer - read the very useful threads at the top right, under the title "Help, I'm a Newbie!"  After having done so, feel free to ask plenty of questions in the relevant boards.  There are templates for entries at the top of each board, experts in their areas are listed, and the shout box is always open.   

(grabs the bellrope beside the voicetube to the kitchens and yanks)

Hallo?   Hallo?  Yes!  Dame Sustenn, could we trouble you for some drinks and snacks up here in the Antechamber?  You know, the usual sort of spread we put on for new arrivals?  Except perhaps you'd best make it more ample - this one is an art student.... Thank you!

(turns back, a smile in her emeraud-green eyes)

One small thought: before you begin posting on a broad scale, you might wish to take some thought as to your name.  It is easy enough to change your board name here, but you will be known by it rather exclusively and it would be best to make sure it is 'Santharianized'. 

Every tribe has its own style, most detailed in the Compendium www.santharia.com, so you can choose a character and origin for yourself.  It's not necessary to create a full RPG-type history, but most of us try to write from a Santharian researcher's perspective and have a consistent 'persona' and avatar here.  (Me, I really AM Bard Judith, so I never have to pretend to a different voice or attitude!)   

Once again, welcome to the Dream - come dream along with us!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2008, 08:59:47 »

Welcome! I am Nsikigan Yourth of the Eyelian Men.
If you're interested in developing in the Sanguian continent, and ecspecially with the Eyelians, I'm your man! Just contact me if you ever need help.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Val O´Neil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2008, 12:10:33 »

Hello! Welcome to the Developer's side of Santharia.

I currently am specializing and investing much of my time into doing my own research into butterflies (via many, many books). I am... the butterfly person for now. Yep. That's what I am, indeed. Just as you bleed hobbit's blood, for the time being I shall bleed butterflies. (Oh dear, wouldn't that make for a beautiful sketch?) ^_^  And, on occasion, I tend to cough them up as well.

It is a pleasure to meet you. Though, I can't say that I'll be particularly helpful in anything that you set forth upon writing beyond grammar and spelling. However, I can try, of course, to help you out a bit anyway.

For now, I must run! *Flees!*

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2008, 18:50:45 »

Oooooo, art history and religious studies you say?  Come in, come in, take off that cloak and keep your eye out for those snacks coming up - the doch-nut cookies are really delicious.

I am Rookie Brownbark, a Brownie of the Llaoihrr tribe and resident Brownie-developer.  So, if you ever need to know something about the really tiny folk, give me a pm.

Erm, somewhere to start....normally we suggest starting with a simplish entry, a beast or a plant or a myth, as these are a great way to begin delving into the mass of information that is the compedium.  If you wanted to lean towards religion, perhaps a religion-based myth/legend might capture your interest? Something which explains why a certain people worship a certain way? On the other hand, if you were more interested in, say, the hobbit race, I'm sure there is some gadget or animal or crop which needs an entry.  If you see a gap you want to fill, let us know! :)

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2008, 19:23:03 »

Hi there. I'm Mannix, as you could probably guess. buck Anyways, if you are indeed interested in hobbit development I'd love to talk. Right now I'm writing up the hobbit beliefs and nomenclature, and I have just been struck with some inspiration for a hobbit pig. If not hobbits, any domestic animals would be lovely. But what am I doing asking for entries. You just write whatever subject you want, as long as it fits. ;) I'm sure Azhira and Talia will be interested in someone who might be interested in religion. Anyway, have fun! :) Oh, and before I forget, the customary warnings. Beware:
- Mira's greenhouses
- Arti's sock draw
- Talia's 'apprentice workspace', better known as the dungeons of doom
- Marmarans, especially a certain Deci :P
And that is about it, I think. Good luck.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2008, 23:47:10 »

Good to see I wasn't included in that list of warnings, Mannix.  For once.

Greetings, Rasmussan. I am Tharoc Wargrider of the Ashz-oc tribe of northern Sarvonia. The really cold bit. People usually just call me Thar, so I suppose you might as well join them!

I'm what's laughingly called the Orc person 'round here, but I also do plants, and I'm just starting beasts too. And Pyrates. And undead things that live in mist.

Anyway, if you need any help on anything Orcen or northern, give me or Azhira or Alysse a shout, and we'll do our best to help you.

Oh, and Mannix was right about the greenhouses.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2008, 00:00:55 »

*mutters* You guys just HAVE to spoil all my fun, don't you?

Hello Rasmussan. I'm Miraran (Or Mira for shorts), and i deal with plants, animals, and everything Nybelmarian. And the greenhouses are not that bad. Well, not often. Sometimes apprentices come out unscathed. Well, usually without mayor injury anyway. At the very least they still have their head when they get out. Mostly. Provided they get out, of course. Erh...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Jude the Archivist

Gained Aura: 0

Part hobbit, part student.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2008, 02:53:28 »

Wow, I'm bowled over by number of people who responded to this topic, thank you for warm welcome! Nice to meet you all!

Bard Judith- Thank you for advice, I have now changed name, though actually my name is really Judith as well. However I'm perfectly happy to not use it. I'll call myself by my nickname, Jude, as many a time a certain popular song has been sung to me.

(Listens nervously to the strange, and slightly worrying, screams coming from the greenhouse.) I think I'll keep well away from any sockdraws, greenhouses and dungeons of doom for now. Though I never thought I'd see the day, when I would write all those items together in a sentence. I'll have a look around and see what small entry I could start with. Maybe a small myth from a religion, as Rookie suggested?

(The small student sneaks over and takes a peek into one of the rooms containing the vast archives of the compendium, her jaw drops.) Somehow I feel urge to comment on needing a more adequately sized boat....(Rolls up her sleeves and gets to work.)

« Last Edit: 16 September 2008, 05:12:37 by Jude the Apprentice » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2008, 03:09:17 »

Hello, Jude!

I would love to see you write a myth for us! I am Azhira, and I help run the development of Northern Sarvonia (where not all is snow and barbarians...) as well as help run the Cosmology/Religions board.

Perhaps a myth concerning any of the Northern tribes?  ;) Do you like elves, orcs, half-orcs, mountain dwarves or barbarian ice tribes? We also have dragons up north as well as trolls, giants and ogres. Perhaps something dark and evil? We also have a tribe who worships the Black Bull. Take a look around! We could use a myth almost anywhere.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2008, 03:12:13 »

Rather than dress-up what I generally say in disguise, I'll summarise into points.

1. Welcome!

2. My domain generally consists of Nybelmarian stuff with Miraran and the Bestiary

3. Find something you like (you seem to already of grasped that)

4. Welcome!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2008, 03:39:30 »

Hey Jude!  grin

Own sweat, blood and tears sound like good ingredients to get a decent entry out of it - or two... lol Don't know in which direction you want to head with developing, but hobbits (as your picture text suggests) surely could use some attention as well.

Note so sure about that "Apprentice" title, though, because if you stick around you will be promoted... And you might have gotten used by that name by then. Plus, once you deliver your first entry and show said intention to stick around you get a nice shiny plaque that has "Apprentice" on it (see e.g. at Tharoc's post above). So maybe you'd like to adjust that now before you remain an "Apprentice" forever ;)

Oh, and if you have questions, ideas, wishes - just ask!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2008, 05:47:14 »

Well, Az, maybe the Archivist would like to write an Eyelian myth?
*cowers under the Wrath of the North*
Or... we could let him choose?
hehe.
Welcome, again Jude.
We're like a family in here.
A very, very, very disfunctional family.
You get to be the young'un who we all fight over for attention.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2008, 05:49:44 »

We could use a myth almost anywhere.

Nsiki, that last bit in my post about covers every other non-North subject...without being specific. lol

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2008, 05:52:43 »

I thought you ment we, as in "We oafish Northern Barbarians".
My mistake!
*Nsiki strolls off, whistling comically to himself.*
« Last Edit: 16 September 2008, 06:03:53 by Nsikigan Ho'Tonanese Yourth » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]