Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Quellion's Serphelorian Warrior Woman ("Wombat"?)  (Read 8994 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2008, 11:12:39 »

Amazing!  Love her grin and her knees in particular.   

The 'ship' could easily be a felucca-style boat - quite feasible to have on a wide river.  I don't see any difficulty with that - our Northern rivers (northern Ontario, that is) are easily that wide in spots, and certainly don't qualify as 'oceans', which go right to the horizon!    Mountains would of course be great and suggest the rugged character of the locals as well....

Bravo, Quellion. As usual, this is worth waiting for - though I do hope we'll see you more often!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Quellion
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2008, 23:06:01 »

Thanks Judy, I have more time now, so I hope to be able to post a little more :)

Nsikigan, is it ok if I place those rocky crags in the right hill, beyond the river? There's a lot of space there, and though they will be a bit small the picture is big enough to admit a zoom on them.
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2008, 05:46:30 »

Of course, Quelllion, that's fine. I just want to have that sense that these are a mountainous people, so any bit helps.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2008, 10:26:58 »

@Nsiki: You can find the original brief for the picture here: http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,12301.0.html.  The town behind her is Brinsley, which is actually very far south of the Rimmerins' Ring!  The river is the Thaehelvil, but looking across just above the Thaehelvil delta; Chylikis is just over those hills.  As you can see on the map, it does get very wide indeed there!

@ Quellion: This is looking great!  Definitely on the right track with the buildings.  There should probably be groups which look nice, other groups which look like they are half-finished like the ones you have altered here, and then some which look old and rough: water-stained or just very dirty.

Her hair also looks fantastic!  Thank you for all your hard work.  Her face is much better feature-wise, and I see the tattoos are coming along nicely.  I'm sure Tharoc is looking forward to taking a crop for his entry.  One thing with regard to her face though.  Here is what I wrote in the entry about their appearance: 
Strong jaws and noses are typical, as are high foreheads, heavy brows and large eyes. This combination of features has turned out some exceptionally handsome women over the millennia, but there are many who other tribes think too heavy of feature to be called beautiful.
And about their personalities:
The Serphelorians are generally an approachable, open and carefree people with a simple but bountiful sense of humour. The women often seem forceful and arrogant to people of other tribes on first meeting, but those who live with them for any length of time will find them to be honest, jovial, loyal people who are proud of their strength and traditions. Men of the Serphelorian tribe are well known for their warm openness and generosity.
  So to me, it feels like she seems a little cold.  To fix this, I would suggest making her eyebrows a little thicker and less arched, taking the crease out from between her eyebrows, and have her gaze fix on the viewer.  At the moment the smile looks good, but her eyebrows somehow look angry, to me. 
« Last Edit: 21 December 2008, 11:04:15 by Grunok the Exile » Logged

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2008, 13:08:48 »

Oh, well if its Brinsley, disregard completely, my mistake, and thank you Grun!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2008, 18:59:25 »

Nice work! the face is great indeed. My favorite element must be the pig though :) And the way you rendered the grass - wonderful!
Quellion
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2008, 19:24:58 »

Thanks Faugar! But Frankly, I've been looking at Judy's pigs picture and they are way cuter, this one looks like it had a bad day.  grin

I'll make those changes to the face that Grunok suggested and finish the background.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2008, 20:08:39 »

Ooooh, a compliment from Quellion!  (hugs herself happily) 

Yeah, cute I can do. (rolls eyes)   Realistic, on the other hand... (sighs) or anything in focus, apparently....

Anyhow, yours is the REAL pig - with attitude - mine are pot-bellied Shire Shoats, and can get away with being fatly adorable and a bit whimsical!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Quellion
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2009, 06:36:10 »

Here is what could be the final version, unless it needs some tweaking. Click for larger version.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2009, 08:59:47 »

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yay!  How exciting! pet I love how this is has turned out!  Unfortunately, I do have three nitpicks; two should be easy enough to fix, but one will be something of a major I suspect.  First, the ones which should be easier:

Tattoo colour

This is a palette I created for Serphelorian tattoos.  The darkest colour is the colour it is when first applied.  It gradually lightens over the woman's life until it reaches the lightest colour after about thirty years (so at about 45 or 50) in an average army woman.  I would guess at this woman's age as about 28.  As she is a champion, her tattoos are likely to be lighter than the average, but they are too light at the moment.

Given this information, I would say her tattoos should be just a little lighter than the middle shade in my palette.  Feel free to make them a little smudgy, too - they should look lived-in, not necessarily perfect.

Roads

The city is gorgeous!  I love the buildings in the distance, and the detail you have put in to the port, and the farmed fields.  Just fabulous.  However, one thing I don't see is roads connecting all these lovely little places.  Perhaps you could break up the green with a few dirt tracks, where it makes sense that they would be visible?  The city centre, too, looks very green - I would imagine that by the port it would all be hard-packed earth, as there would be a lot of traffic there.  Perhaps you could just make it a bit browner?

I also wonder why there are so few buildings along the edge of the river, but that is something I can find a way to explain... I think I will be pretty quick in writing an entry for this city; probably also for the strong, confident, handsome woman you have drawn!

Mountains

And now for the biggy.  I think you must have read Nsiki's comments, but missed mine in response.  Unfortunately he didn't realise that the Serphelorians are not 'mountainous people', or which city you were drawing, before he commented.  Here is a crop of the map:

She is standing at about the dot, and the view behind her is indicated by the arrow.  The town you have drawn so beautifully is Brinsley.  So as you see, no mountains on the other side of that river! 

I hope it will not be too difficult for you to put back in the hills from the previous version - I really hope you don't have to re-draw them from scratch!  As it is winter, they could have some snow on them too, if you like.  Sorry about this! 

I must say though, this is a truly wonderful picture.  I can't wait to see these details ironed out.  It will be such a fabulous addition to the Dream   heart

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2009, 17:47:21 »

I see Grun is quite the perfectionist in getting those details done... lol So I hope the suggested changes won't be too complex, because other than that the picture is just breathtakening and wonderful, just as we are just from our master artist :)

All those little turrets create the impression of a thriving town down there, we even have ships at the harbour one sailing the river, the little piggy is adorable, and also the small turret on the left adds to the composition of the whole picture. Clothing and tattoo design is magnificent and I think the character of a Serphelorian warden couldn't be expressed any better!  thumbup

If the background mountains have to be replaced, we will still be able to use this part of the picture elsewhere I'm sure - to represent other mountains or a backdrop for a Santhworld location, which I often can easily combine with other pictures to make something entirely new. So don't worry, it all will have a place somewhere sometime!

And I'm sure if Grun requests the picture to look exactly a certain way, then her entry based on it will really get into what you can see in that picture and pay tribute to it - and what we can see is just marvelous!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Quellion
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 January 2009, 23:59:48 »

Artimidor, I have uploaded the picture in its original size, and without the woman (and the halberd pole), so you can crop it and use the mountains anywhere else. It's "serph_mountains.jpg". As soon as I have some time I'll make all the changes, there's an older version yet in my hard drive with the hills I think.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2009, 00:15:34 »

Many thanks, Quellion! Always good to have that at disposal!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Quellion
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2009, 20:48:40 »

Another version. Let me know if it needs further tweaking. I added some clutter along the river coast, to make it look more busy  grin.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2009, 17:10:06 »

pet worship thanx clap    Woohoo!    clap thanx worship pet

Thank you so much for your unruffled response to my 'demands', Quellion!  It is fantastic to see this done, and I am so proud to see it - my creation come to life!  This is simply wonderful.

« Last Edit: 12 January 2009, 17:56:41 by Grunok the Exile » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]